Scoop

Former Nanny Accuses Tonto Dikeh of Verbal Assault and Harassment

BellaNaija.com

Mgbechi Enyinnaya

In an interview with PUNCH, Nollywood actress Tonto Dikeh‘s former nanny Mgbechi Enyinnaya has said that Tonto verbally assaulted her when she was her domestic staff.

She made the statement as a reaction to a video posted online over the weekend by another actress Halima Abubakar.

In the video, Tonto is heard in the background quizzing the nanny about a claim that she (Tonto) abandoned her at the hospital when she was sick.

A post shared by @halimabubakar (@halimabubakar) on

See the disclaimer that accompanied the video Halima posted.

DISCLAIMER! DISCLAIMER!! DISCLAIMER!!! This is to inform the general public about the recently uploaded video about the nanny of my beloved dear son who in a video said I abandoned her at the hospital leaving her to fend for herself. It was so far-off from the truth.

She was sadly discharged from her duties 2months ago, after the realization that she wasn’t fit enough for the job as she was always suffering from one illness or another which I. Have spent Thousands treating.

So I paid her off and she went back to her base, I suddenly saw her about a week ago believing she came to say hello and leave, but begged to be taken back instead. It was obvious that my son missed her, which led me to permit her to stay for a few days.  To my suprise, she took ill again and I asked that she should be taken to the hospital, which I normally do whenever she fall sick and her on-Call Personal doctor provided By Me Isnt around. She was rushed to the hospital on Thursday 11th may 2017, and discharged on Friday 12th may 2017, telling me that she is better now. To my greatest surprise, I got a call from one of my domestic staff that she has gone to the hospital again.

Waking up today Saturday 13th may 2017, to see a video posted without  due consultations by ‘some’ foundation.

I wondered why people love cheap publicity. How can someone who left the hospital on Friday and return to the hospital be abandoned as she FALSELY claimed.

Nevertheless, I have consulted and instructed my lawyer to serve them with immediate effect for defamation of character and other of charges associated to this act(etc. Using the name of a child for soliciting for money illegally).

I am appealiing to the public and especially my fans to disregard the request of paying into the account published on the blog. It’s a scam and a malicious act that should never be allowed or encouraged.

Mgbechi has however said that Tonto verbally abused and harassed her on several occasions.

Throughout the period I worked for Tonto, she always assaulted me verbally. At the slightest opportunity, she would rain abuses on me and tell that she would scatter me if I wasn’t careful. I lived in that house with her despite all the constant harassment because of her son, King. I loved the boy like my own child and it was because of him that I stayed long with her.

She has never given me money to give to my children. The only thing she did was to give me some of the clothes she wanted to distribute to motherless babies homes to give to my children.

Tonto said that she had taken me to 15 countries, let her show the world my passport and the copy of the visas she claimed to had obtained for me. The only place we went outside Nigeria together was Ghana and it was her husband, Churchill, that took us there.

The video she posted online was not the complete version. All the things I said, they did not show it. She only showed where she and others were intimidating me; they never allowed me to talk. Let her tell the world the truth because I worked for her diligently and had never conspired with anyone to tarnish her image,” she said.

1. Dentale

May 15, 2017 at 10:39 pm

I am not understanding. This is an adult, not a child here in Nigeria, not some remote country where you don’t have support. If you were so grossly verbally abused, why didn’t you leave? She couldn’t have held you down. We have people wrongly employing children and physically abusing their helps to address in Nigeria and this old woman is posting a video saying someone rained abuses on her. What do we do with this video? If this is a smear campaign sponsored by small church, shame on you madam. If what you’re saying is true, then submit your evidence and seek redress in court. Next please.

• Jade

May 15, 2017 at 11:56 pm

All this why don’t you leave is rubbish. When your parent beat you intensely sometimes or your boyfriend verbally abuses you or even a friend why don’t you leave.
      Verbal abuse is a norm in Nigeria, so let’s not even act brand new. Everybody will insult, threaten the living day out of you. It’s even worst with employers, there’s a lot of verbal abuse towards their employees. So, Tonto accused of verbally abusive is not a shocker.

The only problem I have is this woman is an elderly and she’s obviously mixing her job with personal which happens a lot in the culture because younger ones are always expected to take care of the older one related or not related. I’m sure it’s worse for those with money, the woman’s children and family will abandon and expect a lot from the employer.

• Fifi

May 16, 2017 at 8:23 am

Lol took me a minute to get ” small church” reference

• Power games

May 16, 2017 at 11:27 am

“The nanny is an ingrate for allowing her self to be used against me and my son.This is a woman who has visas to 15 different countries courtesy. Of me,Flies first class,eats 6times a day,has call card allowance, hair allowance,Has her nails taken care of by me,Gets freebies for her family and friends,takes lux.” —- Imagine if a man said these after being accused of abuse?

Do you shout on elders in your place?

Do you know the effect of money and its control on who has power?

2. Alterego

May 15, 2017 at 10:44 pm

Hian. This isn’t a small suntin. Oh Chi m ooo. Everyday I come to social media and every day, another drama.?

3. Ruby

May 15, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Sometimes I pity these Celebs!! Most every little thing be aired on social media? Many people in other professions do worse things to their domestic staff and nothing is heard of it but once these people work for people in the media they must come online to air their dirty linen!! Who will like to employ a staff that is always complaining of sickness? Even if it is not her fault? Madam, take an L, go home and treat yourself and stop going about harassing this poor girl.. she is going through enough already with the breakdown of her marriage,

4. Rubby

May 15, 2017 at 11:52 pm

Pls “Rubby”is mine…did she really fly her first class? Nail allowance? How can one person eat 6 times a day? Just musing…

5. Faith

May 15, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Tonto God help you because you have too much enemies including your ex who will do anything to bring you down but Your God will not allowed it .nanny is not a must for tonto to help you she paying your wages or did you sign health insurance with her

• beabea

May 16, 2017 at 2:33 pm

God bless you. I don’t understand this entitlement mentality sometimes. She works she gets paid why must she do anything extra?

If she does it fine. otherwise go sort yourself out.
      We all work, how many of our employers do we go to for extra help even in multinationals.

All you celebs too learn ho to manage your personal life away from the media.
      All these men too sometimes use you people to climb and dumb you anyhow.
      all is well

6. Faith

May 15, 2017 at 11:57 pm

Don’t you have children. I work if I am not okay I go to my doctor I don’t call my boss to pay my bills

• Fifi

May 16, 2017 at 8:22 am

Thank you ooo, she feels entitled, piss takers

7. john

May 16, 2017 at 12:01 am

madam .. dont bother , no one cares, no feminist will come to ure rescue..it dosnt fit their warped ideology…they won’t care if tonto had killed u ..they only care when it is a man so that they would use it as justification to come out of their holes to bash men…feminist don’t really care about women .. .have u seen any talked about domestic violence on House helps and step children…which is even more severe and more rampant…NO..all this their sisterhood bla bla bla na wash…no one hates and abuse women more than women/feminist..if u think I am lying ..just say ure not a feminist or follow thier bandwagon and evil ideolgies
    and see the bile and abuse they would unleash on u…see how they will disregard u pain on tonto hand and say u were paid ..anything to continue their delusions, frustration and misery on men

• I fell in love with...

May 16, 2017 at 12:36 am

I agree with your post. There’s nothing wrong with women’s rights but when it is one sided it isn’t fair. I expected to see more posts about the way Tonto spoke to this elderly lady with the support of others. One thing I strongly dislike it verbal and physical abuse. It’s really unfortunate and contributes to the mental health issues going on in Nigeria. Why did we become so harsh? What happened to treating each other with love and respect?

• Mawi

May 16, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Only a few Nigerian women understand what true feminism is. The others are simply wounded, bitter women who come under the umbrella of feminism to vent their frustrations towards men. True feminism is fighting for women’s rights, whoever those women are. But here, you only see women fight when it’s their fellow wives suffering in the hands of their men. They fight for no one else; not the poor, the sick nor the defenseless such as domestic workers. They care for no one else but other wives whose sad experiences remind them of theirs.
      Prime example is of a recent post where a maid was physically abused by her employer.https://www.bellanaija.com/2017/04/girl-beaten-and-scarred-by-employer-for-eating-food-with-meat/
      Nobody cared. ‘Femi-nazis’ were nowhere to be found. Just see the number of comments condemning the act. Now compare that to their reactions when it’s a post concerning a wife being a victim. But then, to these femi-nazis, feminism = anti-men. But real feminism is simply ‘pro-women’. Big difference.

8. Puzzles

May 16, 2017 at 12:21 am

This video halima posted is not helping Tonto at all. The way Tonto is even shouting on this mature woman and not even giving her a chance to talk. Why post this kind of humiliating video? Does Tonto think the woman does not have a family? A simple statement from her lawyers would have been sufficient.

As for the nanny, no where in her statement did she claim that she was abandoned in the hospital. She only spoke about her experience working for Tonto. So who was the person claiming she was abandoned?
    There are definitely three sides to a story

• curios

May 16, 2017 at 8:23 am

the issue is not with tonto…the issue is with Nigeria…abuse is real!!! employers treat you like trash, bcos they are confident that you have nowhere else to go. I have had two employers like that before. the first one use to always say “go home! by time you go home and sit down you would have sense”….as far as he was concerned he was his employees only hope so he treated everyone like dirt. why didn’t we leave? the question is leave to where? things are hard in the country…you might think the insult/abuse is bad, but when you run broke and there is no hope or guarantee of getting another job…then you begin to think the abuse wasn’t that bad, maybe you could manage. And it continues…in my last place before I got my new job….the boss use to slash and seize salaries for all sorts of reasons. he made it seem like paying for a job you had done was a privilege. The funny thing is before we got employed there, he made us sign an agreement form that said we couldn’t sue him. I didn’t even remember this part of the agreement until things were really crazy and a friend made reference to it. we were all desperate to get a job we weren’t even thinking about what we were signing. I am not concluding that Tonto is at fault…I am just saying what the general situation is in the country at the moment

• Ada_ugo

May 16, 2017 at 1:28 pm

@curios, nice write up, but mis-placed in this instance. this woman is playing the victim that she very obviously is not. She started this whole charade. like they say, if you can’t stand the heat, leave the kitchen.

9. Delta geh

May 16, 2017 at 12:28 am

Hey! If Tonto is saying the truth you people can go and apply for nanny job so you can travel with her oo ?? 15 countries!!!! Well travelled Nanny ?? abeg this celeb sturvves na real wa oo.
    P.S. I’m not taking sides because I don’t know the truth but that 15 countries sontin e get as e be.

10. Angel

May 16, 2017 at 12:37 am

The govt need to protect the rights of domestic workers. There should be contract that binds the employer and the employee. There​ should be stipulated hours and minimum wages​, and remember respect is reciprocal.

11. Shalewa

May 16, 2017 at 1:13 am

Wish I could like this 100 times, I wonder who is advising/”using” this madam Nanny

12. OJ

May 16, 2017 at 1:40 am

I can only imagine how Toto must have been humiliating and shouting down at this woman, probably old enough to be her mother. Since she was living with them and obviously her job is gone, she should spill the beans of the drama that transpired in that house, lets really know who was the victim/villain.
    In the mouth of two or three witnesses the truth shall be established…hubby, police, mother in law, now the nanny have all talked about her abusive ways…i guess for her just like plenty of other women out there, its a all about power and control, yet, the same Toto came online shedding crocodile tears to gain public sympathy….lets see how this plays out, it is now a woman vs woman thing now!!!!

13. freda

May 16, 2017 at 2:30 am

Tonto can never change,extremely shameless,she’s just pretending to the public and it’s sad every believes her,she calls herself born again,yet doing ungodly things,smoking weed ,Drinking and taking cocaine while pregnant,forging the test results,Beating her mother inlaw and broke her hubbys house down,will a christian do this things,she’s just simply paying for her sins now,will a good christian try to destroy her husband she once loved, whom she had a child with.?…she’s basically looking for attention and validation,from the public,her true ways will soon come out to play again.you said you made the man,so…that’s what wives do,you won’t be the ist and the last to do it,for her sons sake she should not have posted any video,After the whole industry have fucked her,she wants a man she can control,oyinara,she stole properties and money from her husband,she sold some of his properties.Yet she said she’s a born again?smh,upon the woman’s sickness she still want to sue them.smh.A real woman of God will pray for strength and walk away peacefully ,leaving him for God to judge.Tonto needs a very good adviser.A good christian won’t ruin people’s lives.Not too talk of her husband,she’s still crazy mehn.

• kb

May 16, 2017 at 9:09 am

stop saying nonsense…….. who are you to decide who is a christian or not?. are you better? she might me a box of what ever people call her but no one is perfect and righteous enough to stand before God claiming holy. she has her demons to deal with deal with yours. Now this is what a christian will do, not judge but pray for the person. who is with out sin be the first to cast the stone.

14. Harry

May 16, 2017 at 7:44 am

15. Harry

May 16, 2017 at 7:45 am

So Tonto claims her husband abused her, so she abused the nanny, I hope say nanny no abuse baby or else who baby wan abuse? Lol

• funmilola

May 16, 2017 at 8:05 am

Not funny…. especially the baby part.

16. Fifi

May 16, 2017 at 8:20 am

This woman was no longer employed by Tonto, so why does she feel entitled, thats why i keep my relationships with workers strictly professional,i dont get involved in their domestic issues just do my work. Once you start getting involved in their lives they take the piss like this one here. Also have a family doctor were you can take your staff if long term employees put them on a health insurance scheme

17. Cmbo

May 16, 2017 at 9:51 am

See hypocrites o! If i had a nanny that i had been good to go to the press to slander me, that is the same way i will raise my voice. Even if it was a friend that did that to me, that is the same way i will confront her when we see face to face. Was she supposed to be soft spoken in the face of her accuser? But because it is Tonto she is not allowed to raise her voice and be angry again. Let’s be real biko.

18. Sunshine

May 16, 2017 at 11:24 am

From a distance it smells “nonsense” !!! Madam whatever you do to this poor girl Tonto who has always been there for you we leave it to God and your conscience.
    Tonto is not a saint but please leave her alone!!

19. Wunmi

May 16, 2017 at 11:24 am

I kinda agree with you here John.DMV (physical and verbal abuse)is more severe in house helps and step children but they are usually not spoken about.You won’t see a 144 comment on topics like that but when our female celebrities come on air crying and wiping nose,we’ll be like awwww Toke you are a strong woman,Tiwa God will fight ur battle,Mercy it is well,Tonto you endured a lot and some other one sided bullshit like that.
    Well,I was just replying to John’s comment.Didnt watch the video or read the story.

20. omooba

May 16, 2017 at 11:32 am

I found the way Tonto spoke to the woman disrespectful, not necessarily because she is older but because no one should speak to another human being in that manner. In my opinion, Tonto appeared to be bullying the woman, her body language, tone etc.When you give people gifts, you do not speak about it in a manner that degrades them. I do not see the point of Tonto talking about the clothes or other gifts e.g visas. I am not saying the woman is speaking the truth, she may be lying. But I am of the view that it is intimidating to speak to someone like Tonto did. In addition, there were others( Tonto’s people) standing over the woman, that can be very intimidating. This video now makes me question whether Tonto has anger issues.

• Napoleon

May 16, 2017 at 12:45 pm

@ omooba. I wish I could like your comment a thousand times. May people who think like you increase upon the earth.

21. nkechi

May 16, 2017 at 11:53 am

please nobody should blame onto for shouting. This nanny is a fraud and an opportunist. Its very annoying for someone to take advantage of you and try to publicly embarrass you. This is what celebrities have to deal with. At the end of the day Tonto does not owe her anything. Any hospital bill she paid is from the kindness of her heart. Why do nigerians feel so entitled. Its disgusting

22. Oma

May 16, 2017 at 12:22 pm

I hate people with the spirit of entitlement kilode….. even nanny for Nija wants health insurance too abi paid hospital bills, even for American here with your BSc and all you don’t get health insurance like that. SMH yeye dey smell….. madam they will use and dump you.

23. Bey

May 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Only Tonto her step mother is bad, husband is bad, mum inlaw bad, brother in-law bad and she is the good one.
    Tonto needs to check herself she has anger issues. I cant forget that burning of box incident.
    And Tonto lies, who allows nanny eat 6times. Is she including snacks??? which human being eats 6times.
    And don’t let me get started on the 15 visa’s in her passport. A nanny she had for one year, meanwhile the nanny said its just once she travelled with them to Ghana when Churchill took them.
    I have an elderly nanny too and she has her issues. But she does her job well. When I was thinking of changing her my mum just said these ppl are not as educated and exposed as you. Don’t expect them to know everything. Above all she has a good heart and takes care of your child. For that treat her well. Because your child is in her custody.
    I’m not saying what the nanny did is right, they have this self entitlement thing. That is how my nanny too forms cry when you accuse her of smthn. Then she starts saying is it because she is poor.
    I had one I always had to talk talk and talk some more. Had to let that one go.
    Tonto didn’t handle this shit well. And recording and putting on SM is in bad taste.

24. Anonz

May 16, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Tonto fear God nah. 15 countries? When, where, how? And we didnt see pics from all those countries on ur IG page? In recent times, apart from when u squatted for like half a year in Houston pre and post childbirth, which other countries have you really been to? oh ok Ghana..
    My point is you didnt need to exaggerate and lie just to get your point across.
    Ok bye. #runsawaybeforetheychopmeraw

25. lol

May 17, 2017 at 12:29 am

lol…odiegwu really!

26. nene

May 17, 2017 at 12:40 am

tonto dikeh is a violent woman. ugh!

27. Lyon

May 17, 2017 at 3:48 am

Ton to start growing up. Your behaviour is uncalled for and your reasoning is zero. How could you let your colleague video your outrage and post that online even if your nanny is lying. You have a house girl, a nanny amd maybe a gateman and a driver but no husband. Don’t you think you have place yourself for a big fall especially with those around you. Start learning to be humble, submissive and respect for your self and other around you. This your outburst now show cases your husband is innocence of all you accusation, you just want to boss every1 around and sleep around with men. Remember “ô na hawa adigida”. Learn from Chioma Akpotha

• Nica

May 17, 2017 at 8:00 am

So she should give her life to keep husband?

28. Nica

May 17, 2017 at 7:57 am

If you were been paid for the job why should tonto give you money for your children? They are your children so you should take care of your own children, thank God you didn’t say you weren’t paid for your job, if she was giving you those allowance wish I believe she did, it’s out of kindness because she is the kind of lady who always like to look nice and she wouldn’t allow the person taking care of her son to look unkempt, but she is no obligated to that except with a previous contract or agreement? this is the one of the problem with we Nigerians when you are working for a rich person you think all youthe responsibility falls on your boss NO woman.

29. Zi