Music

“I only recognize one Queen B and she was born and raised in Africa” – AKA

BellaNaija.com

South African hip-h0p star, Kiernan Jarryd Forbes popularly known as AKA took to his Twitter page early this morning to call out Beyonce on her Africa themed push party, insisting that if she was truly ready to identify with her African roots, she would visit Africa more.

The rapper went ahead to state that the only “Queen B” he knows was born and raised while putting up a recent cover of his girlfriend, Bonang Matheba on Destiny Magazine.

See screenshots below:

BellaNaija - "I only recognize one Queen B" - AKA claims Bonang is more African than Beyonce BellaNaija - "I only recognize one Queen B" - AKA claims Bonang is more African than Beyonce BellaNaija - "I only recognize one Queen B" - AKA claims Bonang is more African than Beyonce

Later on, the rapper seemed to comment on the tragedy in Manchester at the venue of Ariana Grande‘s UK Concert. See what he wrote below:

Photo Credit: Instagram – @akaworldwide

1. Babyface

May 23, 2017 at 3:08 pm

AKA is a fool how can he compare Beyonce with this local queenB

• Darius

May 23, 2017 at 4:20 pm

You are the bigger fool! He’s making a great deal of sense!

• keke driver

May 23, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Why do I dislike this guy again?? … “dude raps with an American accent” in English all the effing time… dough head pls stfu

• Didi

May 25, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Attention seeker. Because Beyonce hasn’t visited SA you are blabbing. FYI wack rapper who tries so hard to imitate the Americans, Queen B has been to Africa; Nigeria to be precise. Go chew on that sucker! Now run home to your sugar Mama Bonga whatever her name is.

2. The Real Oma

May 23, 2017 at 3:13 pm

What is doing this one now?

3. Bad gang

May 23, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Patronising appropriation! Who else is tired of all forms of it from the western world?

• Darius

May 23, 2017 at 4:21 pm

I’m so freaking tired!

• Seriously

May 23, 2017 at 4:37 pm

This whole appriopriation is so stupid. This dude right here tries too hard.
      So one can’t appreciate something anymore. What should Beyonce be doing in Africa? Y’all need to cut it out
      Dude, you are in Africa what are you doing to make the continent better.
      And who wants to visit and go to SA or Nigeria all the time with the high lack of security.
      Nigerian airport is a mess, everything else

• Bokun

May 24, 2017 at 6:41 am

patronizing who? You? Loool. LMAO like she needs to step out of her way to try and please you. Please stop deceiving yourselves. This has Notting to do with you so stop catching unnecessary feelings. If that was a random African American celebrating their African heritage you go waka pass but as pe its Beyonce you got to tap into her drama. Stop patronising yourself. who made you gate keeper of African culture?. go and represent your tribe if e too pain you. You cant even write your native name you got to be bad gang fake faker..

4. Mrs Pangolo

May 23, 2017 at 3:28 pm

How is it appropriation when she has African ancestry? Are you daft? don’t answer. yes you are.
    This Kiernan needs to stop being simplistic/foolish. So if I discover that I have japanese ancestry and I decide to don a kimono to celebrate my heritage, am I appropriating japanese culture? Please please people, think before you air your thoughts on social media. He’s really just famzing to Bonang. Shameless suck up!

5. Manny

May 23, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Not me. I wear appropriated western clothes, eat sushi, love Indian food, went to a gatsby themed party the other day.
    I celebrate Christmas which is appropriated.
    I’m certainly fine with Beyoncé wearing DUTCH print.

6. meah

May 23, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Ha Ha Ha! Very funny tweets, coming from a South African chap who raps with an American accent…

Seriously though, I think we all need to chill with this appropriation story. Americans celebrate st. Patricks day, some Asians love Easter bunny and I’m pretty sure i’ve seen Hawaii themed-showers celebrated in this our obodo Naija on BN. Simply put, we all appropriate, a.k.a borrowing. Its part of what makes us human. Folks should learn to live and let live.

7. Lailatu

May 23, 2017 at 4:48 pm

So what if she appropriated? Does that make you any less African? Some people are just over sensitive.

8. Enny Heart Heart

May 23, 2017 at 4:55 pm

And really who gives a rats ass how you feel about Beyonce’s party theme. A push party for that matter. You’re so petty! Idk why people get so fired up when it’s Beyonce news. It’s either she’s hypocritical, double standards, wants desperately to prove everything to anybody, overrated. Girl can’t do what makes her happy anymore.

I love her, she rules. And if she wanna have an African theme party and wear not but a leopard thong and drink blood, it doesn’t matter to me and to her bank account. Why Africans throw Great Gatsby, soul train themed party etc, everytime. We all ooh and ahh and nobody remembers whats cultural appropriation is.

I don’t like you Mr AKA. And more so since you got with Bonang.

Oh and my besties name is Rebecca, she also calls herself Queen B, come and beat her.

9. Professor X

May 23, 2017 at 5:42 pm

I even thought the guy would say BRENDA FASSIE. Instead he is promoting his girlfriend. Ok

10. Anon

May 23, 2017 at 5:53 pm

She didn’t migrate to America her ancestors where snatched away from Africa. And now you got to tell her to show her African receipt. Stolen goods DEY get receipt ???. Her skin, her features, are undeniably African. Her fierce go get it genes are undeniably African. She don’t need to cheak in at you village before repping her Africaness . You got to talk !!! You wannabe wish you were American, one humped Arab camel.

• Sunshiney

May 23, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Don’t you mean, West Africans sold her ancestors to the white men for guns and pieces of mirror and coloured glass… I may not be a Beyoncé fan, but what appropriating of culture is he talking about, so the shades he’s wearing, his chain, his clothes and even his stance are not part of Black American hip hop culture??? Bonang, girl you can do better!!!

11. Rolly

May 23, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Beyoncé, sweetie I’m so sorry an ugly a** idiot like this would say that *tiffany pollard voice*

Imagine the nerve of this hypocrite. Dressing, talking, “rapping” like an American yet has the audacity to come for Queen Bey. Incase you didn’t notice, she is AFRICAN American. Who are you to dictate what she can do anyway???
    Typical arrogance of an African man thinking he can comment on what women do.

Africans will throw soul train, gatsby parties but complain about a black person celebrating her roots. I just don’t get it.
    As if your country can afford to accommodate her and her crew. If you had any sense AKA, you’d know her shows require A LOT of props, electricity and SECURITY…. She’s not basic like you who performs in clubs ?? what a mumu

12. Iya Eko

May 23, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Who ezz dezz one again?

13. Passingby

May 23, 2017 at 9:37 pm

Says the one trying harrrrrd to look American. LOOOOOOOL! Guy you are faker than an American 4 dollar bill.

14. nnenne

May 23, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Queen Beyonce, all the way!
    Bonang is fake!

15. bonang can never be Queen B AKA

May 24, 2017 at 3:30 am

i was a bonang style till she stole AKA from her friend and denied for so long……only for tori to be true.

i use to like AKA till he started dissing Casper (fellow SA rapper) and saying his better.

now look at where he is today: chatting shit on the net.

16. Bokun

May 24, 2017 at 6:14 am

She only becomes your”” qween “” when you pay her bride price. That is the African culture you don’t know , if na to immitate American hip hop for your mind you score Grammy meanwhile in reality you are a non starter. Both of you are fake African version of American culture. At least Beyonce occasionally taps her African roots ( and she got every right to do so) what is your excuse for trying and failing at Americanisation every chance you get 24/7. Take a leaf fromyour junior ones wizkid, Davido, yemi Alade etc. and other young African musicians they are original and that what makes their music appealing . Yeyefowl wearing leather in summer, sweatsuit in tropical weather. Bonanza abi na bonage those your fake wigs fall hand.

• Bella

May 24, 2017 at 10:29 am

Kai slow down o. Dis is too much insult o!! I dey pity the boy again.!!

17. me me me

May 24, 2017 at 8:04 am

What’s all the commotion, it’s just an African Theme party. Why ya’ll taking everything so personal. Ki ni big deal

18. Bimbo

May 24, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Abeg, tell bonang ( queen b ) to remove that long , sleek weave before you start talking about cultural appropriation.

19. layo

June 4, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Aka marama!…lol…leave d woman abeg..how can she appropriate African culture when she is AFRICAN American???…..you that keeps talking with your pseudo-american accent nko? what’s to be said about you wanna-be jay zee..my friend gerrarahia hia mehn!