Features

Mrs Kush: Get Rid of the Annoying Tiny Cockroaches in Your Kitchen

Mrs Kush

This article is a personal triumph for me, because it took me over a year to figure out how to get rid of the tiny cockroaches that terrorised my kitchen.
We moved into a new house a few years ago and we were on the ground floor. Apparently if you live on the ground floor you are more susceptible to pests. I cannot verify if this is fact or not, but from my experience I am inclined to agree. I read up so many articles on the subject matter and even mentioned it to anyone that cared to listen just in case they had valuable tips. As strange as it sounds, I never knew I would have a “cockroach preference” but bigger cockroaches are better.

The tiny ones are a different species that learnt work from the devil. They are everywhere and multiply in hundreds possibly thousands.

I did the fumigation thing twice. The first time it was effective and 6k well spent, but after about three months they came back.

The second time the fumigation people had upped the price to 10k #blameitonthedollar and I started seeing the cockroaches the very next week.

After so much frustration and several cans of insecticide I decided to do the following to combat the problem:

Do not leave left overs lying around
If you don’t finish your pot of rice, please pack it up and refrigerate. There were times I had cooked late and was too tired to pack up the food, I’d just put the whole pot on paper towels in the fridge. I also kept bread, fruit and even plantain in the fridge.

Make sure you always sweep and mop after cooking. Clean your counter tops and sink to get rid of bits of food.

Food storage containers must be tight fitting and preferably latch shut:
I learnt this the hard way when I opened my container of Garri one day and saw a mini village of cockroaches. I had to bin the whole thing and replace my containers.
The point is to starve the pests as much as possible.

Dismantle your kitchen furniture, if you can
This discovery was by accident. Someone sat on my kitchen counter and when they jumped off accidentally broke one of the legs. In the process of trying to get it fixed we lifted the marble on top and low and behold we found their hiding place!
The cockroaches were lined bumper to bumper on the wood beneath. I quickly grabbed my insecticide and sprayed like a maniac. I voluntarily dismantled the other counter and the findings were the same.

Not all insecticides are the same
Since this is not an advertorial, I’m not allowed to endorse a brand but I can tell you the insecticide I used to combat this problem starts with S and ends with R. There is also a P somewhere in the middle. (**wink** Someone please type it in the comments). I was advised to dilute with kerosene, but I decided against that and diluted with water instead.
I used one part water to one part “miracle cockroach killer liquid” and it was amazing! It worked better than the fumigation and all other insecticides, I tell you. Since I have it to hand I spray nooks and crannies periodically.

Please be careful; this solution is very toxic like other insecticides. Do not spray near food or utensils. When I’m doing a thorough spraying I put my food stuff in the fridge and rewash all my crockery just to be safe.

Keep your fridge cold as much as possible
This is a difficult one, because of NEPA wahala, but I’d mention it nonetheless.

I lost a fridge to tiny cockroaches. In the middle of the cockroach wahala my fridge broke down and I paid a (insert nasty adjective) repair man to fix it.
2 days later it broke down again. It took him 3 months to come back after giving me so many cock and bull stories; but by then it was too late.

The dark dampness of the fridge was very attractive to the cockroaches and they moved in. I luckily saw a fridge online on sale for about 50% off so I replaced it. When he finally fixed it and it worked fine, I had to sell it at a giveaway price to another repair man for parts because the cockroaches never left.

Finally, do not eat in your bedroom
I’ll be honest I’ve never really liked the idea of eating in the room in the first place. Something about your blanket smelling like Efo riro when you’re trying to nod off is not appealing. Anyway, I started noticing the odd tiny cockroach in the room and I knew I needed to act fast. I banned all bedroom eating and filled all my wardrobes and drawers with camphor.
Luckily for me, they didn’t come en mass I suspect the ones I found were “scouts”. The kitchen was becoming inhabitable and they were looking for alternative dwellings. I made sure that didn’t happen and I am proud to say I have been cockroach free for over a year.

Not even one. I still see the odd big one, once in a blue moon, but they are easy to kill no biggie.
Whenever I remember I spray the floor of my kitchen entrance at night (cockroaches are nocturnal) with my insecticide solution to prevent them from coming in.

There were days I was literally in tears because of how defeated I felt about the whole situation. I would sweep and mop my kitchen several times a day to prove to myself that I wasn’t dirty. If you are going through something similar don’t be ashamed, you’d be surprised how many people are going through the same thing. These tips worked for me and I hope they work for you too.

Have you gone through a similar experience? Please share what you did to combat the problem.

Photo Credit: Hongqi Zhang (aka Michael Zhang) | Dreamstime.com

1. Dash

June 5, 2017 at 5:21 pm

SNIPER!

• london's finest

June 5, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Bellanaija, you should not be endorsing sniper. This article clearly endorses a chemical whose use is heavily controlled in sane climes.

It belongs to the family of insecticides called DDVP. This insecticide has been banned in europe since 1998. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorvos#Ban_in_Europe

It is a very poisonous and dangerous chemical that should NEVER be used in indoors.
      The fact that it is easily obtainable in nigeria is proof of the lack of regulatory oversight in nigeria.

Sniper has killed many and it is still killing many.

It has also caused respiratory issues for many !!

Kindly post this comment so that your readers will be educated and you can save a life.

• Helen

December 1, 2018 at 5:08 am

Thanks ma’am, l pray this will work out for me it scary. They can even survive hot water, insecticides are not working, and am very sensitive to smell

2. Nelo

June 5, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Thanks for this. cockroaches are a nightmare

3. Allie

June 5, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Thanks for the tips!
    And your bio is ??

4. Eka

June 5, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Yes!…Sniper for the win!!!!
    Trust me i have tried almost everything except for the dismantling of my kitchen furniture. And im not even thinking of it seeing as i dnt have extra money to pay my landlord for damages when im done with his house. I’ll just stick to my Sniper even though i hate the way it smells so much…..

5. Ency

June 5, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Thanks for this. Those tiny roaches are pure evil!!!

6. Needed

June 5, 2017 at 6:03 pm

I needed this so so so bad. I can relate to you knowing you’re not a dirty person and cleaning over and over and over again and they never leave. Thank you so much for this

7. Billionaire in grace

June 5, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Thanks for the advice you even remind to take out the plastic dust bin

8. Look

June 5, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Thanks for the tips

9. Exotique

June 5, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Those tiny roaches are evil. I had this same problem in my bedroom of all places months ago. Like you, and cleaned and cleaned but they were still there. I got to the household items section of a small store and the store assistant recommended one Green leaf powder. Comes in a small satchet of 50 naira. I used only one satchet and I am still surprised to say that the roaches disappeared totally. It’s been months now, and I even resumed eating in my room. Lol

• northern princess

June 7, 2017 at 3:22 pm

please! what is the name of said green leaf. help my life… i am very disgusted in my own home. i am also beginning to think the chemicals in these insecticides is compromising my health and that of my unborn baby. every alternative is appreciated.

• prisca

November 13, 2019 at 6:25 pm

pls i need this green leaf powder pls..how do i get it?

10. Omoté

June 5, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Omo! No b small thing with these horrible, horrible creatures oh! They are called German roaches n they are resilient! I’ve tried camphor, insecticides, even d sniper sef. I’ll av to be just as resilient. There was one night I woke up n went to get water from d kitchen as soon as i turned on the lights they were everywhere. I almost passed out.

• Sakura

June 6, 2017 at 5:26 am

Lol @ I almost passed out

11. london's finest

June 5, 2017 at 7:03 pm

bella naija fear God and post my comment

12. Eka

June 5, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Yes!…Sniper for the win!!!!

13. survivor

June 5, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Use Pif Paf to rid them roaches

• Dee

June 5, 2017 at 10:46 pm

What is pif paf pls or where can I get it?

• Helen

December 1, 2018 at 5:11 am

Pif paf is not working oo except for the big roaches

14. Obzzz

June 5, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Thank you for this oooo!

15. No Headaches Please

June 5, 2017 at 8:27 pm

I don’t have a problem with roaches.
    For the last one year, I’ve seen only 2.
    What I do have issue is with, is ants.
    Tiny ants
    I don’t know what they are looking for but by God, if I have to get sniper for them I will. ?

• Seyyi

November 16, 2018 at 8:45 pm

For tiny ants use borax mixed with sugar or honey. Do batches of dry solution and batches of wet solution all around the house.

16. New gurl

June 5, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Would try the sniper….it’s difficult keeping the kitchen the way Mrs Kush suggested when you’re in the family house and nobody is interested in cleaning up or in not frustrating your efforts, I’ll probably have to start locking and walking with the kitchen keys after dinner problem is my mom won’t let me. But would get d sniper and use in d kitchen and all rooms when everybody is out

• CC

November 7, 2018 at 9:19 am

C.C
      Please be careful with sniper. It is highly toxic. If you must use it,then you have to leave your house for at least 3 days

17. Mom

June 5, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Much needed post. Also how do I get rid of rats? ??? Recently moved into a new house and it seems I invaded their space. I spotted one and I’m trying to act fast before it breeds. My sticky board only kills roaches….Not the actual culprit. I must say, this is the part of adulting I wasnt prepared for; dealing with domestic pests. Even more frustrating as I didn’t have this problem at my former apartment. I literally walk on my toes now.

18. Vee

June 5, 2017 at 9:10 pm

I’m scared of Sniper,I’m using an insect powder now. I only see dead roaches now

19. Chi

June 5, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Any recommendations for a similiar problem with bedbugs, please?

• Prime Babe

June 6, 2017 at 9:29 am

Clean(furniture, rooms, beddings) …a lot (to frequently dislodge eggs). Avoid dark coloured furnishings (chairs, bed sheets, duvets etc). They hide in small flat corners where they wriggle in and multiply fast so watch out for those when cleaning. Raid worked, Mortein didnt, I hate sniper cause it makes my chest “heavy” i.e. I usually cant breathe after use and may develop nasal congestion shortly after use). After cleaning, or when cleaning always control spread by bagging and disposing of dirt immediately. These worked for me

20. Andir

June 5, 2017 at 11:14 pm

There is this green powder, they sell it in small satchets( I have forgotten the name) it’s just 50 naira. It works like magic for those annoying roaches.

• Bolade Adeiga

June 6, 2017 at 8:22 am

Pls where is this sold

21. Missy

June 6, 2017 at 12:52 am

I use Mortein Cockroach killer. The one that comes in a black can. I spray in corners and crevices where cockroaches hide and surprisingly, It works like magic! It’s quite expensive though, but as long as it keeps the cockroaches away, i really don’t mind.

22. Moyo

June 6, 2017 at 9:15 am

Thank you for tips for cockroaches, does anyone have tips for rats, I have tried rat gum and rat poison. it didn’t work they will still come back

23. Enny Heart Heart

June 6, 2017 at 9:18 am

Cockroach wahala! I know how to deal with them. Sniper for the win.
    The one that just makes my skin crawl is the wall geckos. Like just where in the hell do they come from cos you never see them outside casually. Please any helpful tips would be appreciated.

24. Omolola

June 6, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Sticky boards don’t work anymore. Indoseed is the solution. I had same problem. It works but after effect is deadly. Prepare for serious stench

25. funmilola

June 6, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Sniper all the way,
    another tip:make sure you sweep well and dust too after applying sniper so as to get rid of their eggs…..

26. Tuoyo. Austin. Eeye

June 11, 2017 at 10:30 am

SNIPER SNIPER SNIPER: IS THEIR ANTIDOTE. DEAR PLS JUST GO AHEAD N DELETE THOSE FAKE FUMIGATION CREW FROM UR FONE. TRY IT AND THANK US LATER. CHEERS

27. Ime

July 9, 2018 at 7:48 am

have a mixture that gets ride of cockroaches forever for sell. I mix it with my own hands because I was once a victim of this evil pest called cockroaches. I tried all d insecticides I knew, it was as if it help them breed d more. So I had to go extra mile to discover how to produce my own insecticide which is super active according to my buyers n it really helpful. If Cockroaches disturbs u Call me on 08184999247 Or if your Company deals on insecticide’s also call me. I can share my ideas with u to help upgrade your production.