News

“This one is only for white people”: South African Church Bars Black Journalists

Illustrative Photo | Credit: Google Image

Two black journalists who were on assignment in Orania, an Afrikaans-only South African town located along the banks of the Orange River, in the arid Karoo region of the Northern Cape Province, were on Sunday barred from entering a church because it is “only for white people”.

According to Africa Review, the journalists decided to attend Sunday service at a Afrikaanse Protestante Kerk church before leaving for Pretoria, but were intercepted by one Theunis Oukamp, a leader in the church.

Oukamp was said to have told them that granting them access would be tantamount to  violating the “rights of Afrikaans people,” as the church “is only for white people.”

“I am now in a difficult situation. You know that Orania is only for white people, this is why we are here. You must understand I know you want to serve God and everything but I have to protect the rights of Afrikaans people. So I cannot let you in, you guys can go to any other church, but this one is only for white people,” Oukamp was quoted as saying

The president of the South Africa Union Council of Independent Churches, Archbishop Modiri Patrick Shole condemned the incident, adding that it is sad that segregation still occurs, and sadder because it occurred in the church, even after apartheid ended 23 years ago.

“We don’t discriminate in church because before God we are one – whether white or black. I find it weird that we still have discrimination in the church,” Shole said.

A church member Sarel Roets also condemned the action. “I’m very upset that my church did this, it’s not right. I’ve already sent the Reverend a message. From me, I’m sorry, it’s completely unacceptable. We still have problems in Orania, this is one of the problems,” he said.

The church’s spokesperson, James Kemp, has said that an internal process will take place, adding that what Oukamp did was not in line with the church’s policy.

“The sensitivity of the Orania church is that over the last few years they have had six journalists visiting the congregation and it had a negative impact in the media. It was mainly European publications,” Kemp said.

Photo Credit: Google Image

1. Jim means Well

June 27, 2017 at 6:33 am

THIS IS THE DIRECTION! WHERE NNANDI KANU IS TAKING IGBO PEOPLE TO!!!

ASK THE ETHIOPIANS WHO DECLARED THEMSELVES JEWISH AND WENT TO LIVE IN ISRAEL ?! ASK THEM WHAT THEY UNCOVERED FIRST ?!

BEFORE YOU COMMIT TO NNANDI KANU! I SEE HIM AS A POLAR BEAR IN DISGUIZE!

ASK URSELF (INCIDENTLY!) WHY DUZ IT HAVE TO BE LIGHT SKIN ?!

WHY CAN’T IT BE A BLACK MAN TO LEAD BLACK PEOPLE TO THE PROMISE LAND! ARE WE SHORT OF BLACK PEOPLE IN AFRICA!

YEA SURE THERE NEW THINGS HAPPENING IN AFRICA BUT LOOK AT THE PEOPLE BRINGING THESE NEW THINGS!

PHYNO – A cracker
    CHIDNMA – A cracker
    BANKY W – A cracker
    FLAVOUR – A cracker
    JIDENA – A cracker!

CRACKERS CRACKERS CRACKERS!

AM SICK OF SAMPLING LIGHT SKIN. I WANT TO SEE A BLACK FOR CHANGE! AND NOT SUM STITCHED TOGATHER CHIDINMA LOOK ALIKE BLACK PERSON!

ACTUALLY BLACK LIKE D’BANJ OR WANDE COAL!

2. Chic

June 27, 2017 at 6:46 am

I don’t know which is worse, being in a country where things ain’t perfect but u have control over your space OR being in a country where things are supposedly working but being treated like a foreigner in your own land. *SMH!

3. Marie Antoinette

June 27, 2017 at 8:13 am

In my opinion, South African whites are the most racist bunch on earth!

• Baymax

June 27, 2017 at 9:03 am

You haven’t met indians then. They also discriminate based on skin color against their fellow indians.

Even their film industry is divided. Bollywood is actually North Indian and they look down on Tollywood which is based in South India.

• Bongs_Zulu of South Africa

June 27, 2017 at 9:40 am

I 1000000% agree with. I have met other Whites from other countries, they are ok. The Afrikaners (White SAns with Dutch roots) are the worst!

• Gia

June 27, 2017 at 1:13 pm

No,arabs are.

4. Don

June 27, 2017 at 9:19 am

Cheap low class racebaiting journalism – why do they not go do a real story like the fact that Soweto is more race pure than Orania and 1,000 times bigger! That is a fact according to the 2011 Census
    In fact there are 5,000 bantu towns which are 100% bantu!

5. Unicorn

June 27, 2017 at 9:54 am

Whether the Church is meant for only white people or not,God does not love us based on the idea that we attend an all white or black church,He loves us and answers our prayers.

6. Fifla

June 27, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Orania has a population of less than 2000…. White people have rejected this “white only” town.

We have serious racial issues to tackle in South Africa, Orania is not one of them. A few racists have been exposed and CRIMINALLY charged because of the proactiveness of South African citizens on social media.

I don’t even know why this is news…. this story is not representative of South African churches!

7. artklub

June 27, 2017 at 3:52 pm

isn’t that the same as telling other tribes to leave your state by october 1st? its all the same.