News

Tonto Dikeh, Mercy Aigbe, Emir of Kano headline Queen Wuraola of Ile-Ife’s #1in3Africa Campaign

BellaNaija.com

Olori Wuraola Zynab Ogunwusi, wife of the Ooni of Ife has launched her advocacy campaign – #1in3Africa.

“It is our God given right, not just to show empathy towards victims but to set forth action to help them find their voice. Silencing the abused is also a form of abuse. Men also have a crucial role to play in speaking out against violence. This awareness also includes demanding a change of the cultural and social stigmas that perpetuate the problem. Together, we can help those who need us. ”

– Her Majesty Wuraola Zynab Ogunwusi

The official press release outlines the statistics behind the initiative;

#1in3Africa Campaign is a call to action to spread awareness to end domestic violence and sexual abuse against women across the continent. 1 in 3 Women have been beaten or experienced sexual violence. The United Nations estimates that 70% of women have experienced physical and/or sexual violence from an intimate partner in their lifetime. Around 120 Million girls worldwide have experienced forced intercourse or other forced sexual acts at some point in their lives and by far the most common perpetrators of sexual violence against girls are current or former husbands, partners or boyfriends. 1 in 3 women will die as a result of that violence.

The #1in3Africa Campaign is formally endorsed by the Emir of Kano, Actress Tonto Dikeh, Toke Makinwa, and Mercy Aigbe. Supporters include Kate Henshaw, Ini Edo, Monalisa Chinda, Uche Jombo, Funke Akindele, Seyi Shay, Adunni Ade, Ndidi Obioha, Chika Acholonu, Ifeoma WIlliams amongst many others.

Watch Tonto Dikeh’s video for the campaign.

The #1in3Africa Walk takes place on Friday June 30, 2017  at 10AM. The start off point is Awolowo Road by Falomo Roundabout. If you or someone you know is in need of assistance, #1in3Africa therapists can be reached via 08157131313, 08158131313

Photo: Olori Wuraola – Instagram

1. Lois

June 24, 2017 at 12:41 pm

I’ll rather not say anything

2. Mama

June 24, 2017 at 12:53 pm

I love Tonto… but it’s obvious she’s acting this one.

3. Baby gurl

June 24, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Well, good cause. At least they’ve turned the bad press (which was no total fault of theirs by the way) to something positive and noteworthy. But do such campaigns get to the core of the problem? For example, a man who is at this moment, beating the hell out of his wife in a village in Utonkon Benue State, can he see this? I call these things hashtag activism. Not my aim to rain on your parade but it’s all noise, no impact. I know you guys mean well but according to statistics only 12% of Nigerians have access to the internet. This won’t necessarily put an end to domestic violence or in my strong opinion, even have any slight effect on it. On a more positive note I think at least it will encourage a few of the already enlightened women to flee. It will remind them that they can leave. But the man will go on to his next victim sadly.In Nigeria and probably in Africa at large, no matter who or what a man is or has been, he will always find it phenomenally easy to find another women. Hard fact but true. Sad thing. Mad thing. God help us all. My mum is finally recovering from decades of emotional abuse from my dad. At fifty something years she’s just finding her voice and has started, in the past couple of years, to speak up for herself. I think it’s too late because she is totally financially dependent on him. Their marriage has taught me so many lessons. Because of her experience, I grew into feminism. It wasn’t conscious at all. It was something I grew into and formed an inevitable part of my coming of age. Biko I wasn’t born to be a man’s puppet, mahn. My fellow women, we are worth it too. Just my 2 cents.

• Iya ibeji

June 25, 2017 at 8:32 am

Valid points. I wonder about the women marrying and dating this abusers despite knowing their past. Its like a validation that they can do anything and get another woman notwithstanding. I honestly think parents just need to raise both our boys and girls better.

4. anon

June 24, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Please can someone be kind enough to clarify for me about this wuruola, was she or Not a side chick before she stepped in to be coming new qween tinzs. Please im just asking for clarity. Thanks in advance

• Shakir

June 24, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Yes she was. But she has received her glow up and is now a queen. You that has been sinless since birth, how far have you gotten in life? Olodo!

• Emi

June 24, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Shakir, your response screams guilty conscience! Did she say she was sinless? Why is it paining you? Are you a sidechick? Glow up my a**!

• AceOfSpades

June 24, 2017 at 6:17 pm

I know Ooni of Ife personally and I know this Olori wasn’t a side chic. He had never met her before he became Ooni and this is 100%. When he was running around to get approval of kingmakers in Ife, I know that the ex wife would call him and insult and curse and all so everyone already knew the marriage was over. All the paparazzi and attaché during coronation was just a facade.

He even tried to get with the mother of his daughter but I don’t know what happened along the line because the woman (Monalisa Chinda’s lookalike) was always around in his Parakin house in Ife then but I guess things didn’t work out. I know who introduced this lady sef but then I might be bursted if I begin to spill that Cus its inside info.

• Cough cough

June 24, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Mr or Ms Ace of Spades, everything you just typed has been on the internet for years! Your insider- status is highly doubtful! As to who introduced them, that’s also not new. She and an actress that slaps share the same surname!

• Gbogbo Bigz Girlz

June 24, 2017 at 8:48 pm

@Shakir, why are you taking the question personally?
      @anon, she wasn’t a side chick. One of the sponsors of ooni who he also helps to “shine her vvv” gave Olori to her. Let me reserve the rest of the gist….

• anon

June 24, 2017 at 9:04 pm

LMAO @Shikir what is your problem Hummm I just asked a question for clarity. sounds like you haven’t graduated from side fries to main burger. maybe the man is full up on burger not needing wither old chips. Keep hoping though #sad? Yeyefowl.

5. Lacey

June 24, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Association of vampires!!!

6. Awesome

June 24, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Chai ! Tonto has really be off the screen for a long time. She cannot even put up a good acting to sale this project. Girl, needs to go back to acting school ASAP.

• Hope

June 24, 2017 at 6:32 pm

She has never been a good actress

7. Me

June 24, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Nice campaign, Olori Wuraola don’t you think using women within Ile-ife or just a non-celebrity would have given this more impact, instead of using celebrity actors who are good at pretending, lying and insta-glamming!

8. Weezy

June 24, 2017 at 8:03 pm

I’m actually impressed by Wuraola’s efforts. She could easily focus on child education or widows or something uncontroversial for her platform. Choosing to focus on domestic violence is very brave of her.

9. Temi

June 24, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Ronke Ademiluyi loading….

10. Therese Eric Bayama Essiene

June 25, 2017 at 3:44 am

Tonto should relax already,she’s done everything to disrupt her husband’s mind, but he has remain focused,all she is doing now na shakara to get attention,move on,he no want again,na by force.Olori Wuraola,well done ma’am,GOD bless your initiative

11. Jemimah

June 25, 2017 at 3:49 pm

LOL! Tonto can’t act for toffee man! Playing victim like aunty TM. It was all your fault now Sit down please!