Relationships

This Bride & her Nigerian beau’s wedding cost less than $5,000

BellaNaija.com

This Bride & her Nigerian beau's wedding cost less than $5,000

This South American bride and her Nigerian beau’s wedding photos are going viral.

She shared the beautiful photos on Twitter with the caption “I’m a married woman now ?“. When she found out the Tweet was going viral, she shared another message, quoting the tweet and said: “My wedding pictures are going semi viral– just want the world to know my dress was <1K & whole wedding was <5K ✊?✊? #dontblowyoursavings”.

She replied in the affirmative to another Twitter user who asked if it was in dollars.

On how they did it, she wrote: “We bypassed a lot… by doing a destination wedding at an Airbnb that already looked beautiful.”

See photos below:

This Bride & her Nigerian beau's wedding cost less than $5,000

1. Ss

July 20, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Chop knuckle.. My kinda wedding.
    No time for serenre.
    Buy a beautiful house and take me to bora bora to make babies ?

2. Agu

July 20, 2017 at 7:12 pm

thats how wedding suppose to be but our selfish culture will not allow us to accept the reality. just do the important wedding culture ceremony invite your friends and celebratet. nothing over the top.

• Hotchick

July 20, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Hey Agu,

Not sure of this selfish culture you reference, however, you are ? entitled to your opinions.

I’m a firm believer in doing you. People have different tastes, priorities and goals. If you have $1million to spend (comfortably) on a wedding, your money and your wedding; good for you! If you don’t and need to borrow $100 from friends 3 months after the ceremony, then?, I will totally judge you.

My 2 cents!

• Ajala & Foodie

July 20, 2017 at 8:24 pm

@ Agu, no it is not selfish, to spend your hard earned money anyone you choose to (unless stolen and Ill gotten wealth sha), it is actually self centered to think you should have a say in how people spend their money. Secondly, no it is not our culture have you seen or heard of this show “platinum weddings” it was in TLC for awhile. (It does not run anymore but you can google it) “You will know say people they spend eye watery amount on weddings” even “in the abroad”,it is not culture it is preference.

• physio Tinu of PhysioCraft

July 20, 2017 at 8:51 pm

@Agu,
      Weddings in most part of Nigeria is a union of families. It’s not just two individuals getting married which is why typically, we can’t have small weddings. If money wasn’t an issue, most people will not complain about the size/cost of a wedding ceremony. There are of course a few people who want small weddings regardless of if they have the money or not but they are in the minority. Our culture is NOT selfish.

• H

November 15, 2017 at 2:53 pm

GOD BLESS YOU AGU!!! YOU ARE A REAL MAN

3. Mo

July 20, 2017 at 9:03 pm

A $1k dress for a $5k wedding is a very expensive dress. I like that even though she’s sensible enough to pull off and rock a no-frills wedding, she’s got to look good doing it. You do you, girl!

• Coral

July 21, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Less than $1k. It didn’t cost her up to $1k. Less than that.

4. Bella

July 20, 2017 at 9:10 pm

All I see is a stingy man but different strokes…

• BlueEyed

July 21, 2017 at 6:53 am

It’s women like you that run their husbands into bankruptcy because of how shallow minded you are. Please I pray no man I know marries your kind

• Mizzy

July 21, 2017 at 9:05 am

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, my thoughts exactly

• Corolla

July 25, 2017 at 12:31 am

@Bella, you are as shallow as they come. Basic minded broad.

• Patricia Kayden

July 30, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Not necessarily stingy but definitely frugal. I assume the Bride wanted to have a cheap wedding so it may not be all on the Groom.

5. etisalat

July 20, 2017 at 9:10 pm

This is the kind of news that Nigerians love seeing, when people aren’t showing off their own money. Most of the weddings we used to see and celebrate here were those of the children of rich and influential Nigerians. After the rich kids spend money on Flavour and Olamide performances they will still be set up by their parents with houses and cars plus paid honeymoon. The fact that people who dont have that much are doing the same is definitely weird but it’s also not our business. If anyone wants to emulate the super rich and goes broke while doing it, that’s their business. Thousands of Nigerians get married every week, so acting like it’s only extravagant weddings that take place is funny because if you dont have money like that, why are you yourself checking wedding blogs that only exhibit the most expensive and flashiest.

6. Abi

July 20, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I wanted to have a small wedding. I informed my mum. She gave me side eye and said “are they marrying a chicken?”

• tw

July 22, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Lolz. Sounds like what my mummy would say too. Mothers shaaa

• Mom of 3

July 24, 2017 at 3:58 am

Oh lawd. This is epic. My ribs hurt.

• Y200

July 28, 2017 at 6:52 am

?????????? @ Ani are u sure we don’t ve the same mom? My mom Told my elder sis that ” all this money.wet I Don spray, cloth wet I Don buy, tic I Don spend to Nina” now it’s my turn U are saying boycott this and that and she ended it with a LONG HISS ??? that junk was too funny.

7. Cough cough

July 20, 2017 at 9:45 pm

My cousin had both her engagement and wedding (70 guests in Ghana) for under $5000 too, so I don’t see how this is viral – worthy. I think more people have weddings for less than this amount than those that don’t.

@ Hot chick, I agree with you on those borrowing money to floss. There’s a woman that had her wedding featured on this site, but everytime her pix are posted on the BN weddings page (as Aso ebi Bella), there’s this bank official that leaves a comment begging her to have her husband stop screening her calls. Apparently, her bosses are pressuring her about the loan the lady’s husband took out. All this wahala just so it can be said that you wore 5+ dresses for your wedding!

It seems more and more people would rather choose being a trending topic for a day than a lifetime of financial security and peace of mind!

8. bruno

July 20, 2017 at 9:47 pm

big gown, ojuju makeup, hideous matching bridemaids dresses, big giant cake that nobody ever gets to eat,1000+guests, majority of them u don’t even know, food wastage, etc.
    the way Nigerians do wedding like its a do or die affair. smh

u attend a nigerian wedding and its like a freaking zoo. a huge circus. so much going on.
    no intimacy no magical moments. everything is just so in ur face.

they always use an unnecessarily loud faulty micro phone, loud band making noise. majority of the invited guests don’t even look like they are enjoying themselves. everybody is sitting down watching and moping aimlessly or pressing their phone. the people who are getting married don’t even look happy. some even fake their happiness. the smiles and laughs looks so forced. the couple kissing is so yucky. I can go on and on. at the end of the day the marriage will still collapse after 2 years. the bigger the wedding the bigger the divorce

all u folks that had big weddings, how many special moments can u remember from ur so called big wedding? nothing. some of u ur marriage is on the verge of a breakdown. lol

• #Proudnigerian

July 20, 2017 at 10:04 pm

What kind of weddings do you attend tho definitely not Nigerian! You sound like the crasher here. How dare you call NIGERIAN WEDDINGS a gathering of animals and jesters? How dare you and yes I am taking it personal. If you want to have your wedding under a rock it’s “ya consine”. Your comment is laughable.

• The Real Oma

July 20, 2017 at 10:35 pm

I actually liked both of your comments because while i quite get what Bruno is saying about the noise and the seeming lack of’ intimate moments’ at Nigerian weddings, I also want to ask him, “How dare you?” lol.

• ***

July 20, 2017 at 10:56 pm

Bruno is not too far from the truth even if he exaggerated… I watched the amosun/dabiri and the babangida/al saudin wedding on metrofile and they were spitting images of political rallies… the ambiences were riotous, everybody was feeeling important, uniformed guards crawling everywhere, conspicuous absence or deliberate relegation of friends of the couples etc and these are society yuppies o, imagine how the average nigerian weddings are… circuses!!! Full of busy body clowns… bruno gave a detailed description… the pre-wedding acrimony between the families over redundant issues like aso-ebi and caterers are stories for another day… then for christians, selection of church to take vows is another wahala
      P.S : most nigerian weddings are a far cry from romantic

• Hedz

July 20, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Everything you typed above is a representation of the people you sorround yourself with.

• artklub

July 21, 2017 at 3:23 am

@bruno – ain’t no lies told…nigerian weddings are boring, big and tacky.

• Mandy

July 21, 2017 at 9:46 am

This sound like the weddings I usually see on that Bisi Olatilo show. They never seem to be about the couple and their close family, friends and colleagues. As a matter of fact you don’t even see people their age around them, just a bunch of oldies who don’t even know/care for the couple and “important” people jumping onto the microphone one by one to give uninteresting speeches. Such a shamble!

• Fabulous

July 21, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Bruno this your comment made me laugh no be small, everything you typed here is just the truth.

• hatersgonhate

July 21, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Being MIA and unaware didnt know bruno was back.
      My marriage (including cost of rings, outfits and registry certificate) didn’t cost up to £500 but I wouldnt advice anyone to be so extreme if they have the means because when money comes later you wont be able to spare the time.

9. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

July 20, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Nigerian weddings is just a circus..no intimacy at all.

10. Professor X

July 21, 2017 at 2:52 am

I’m just surprised her dress cost $1k? Is it a skirt and crop top sef?
    Couples should be entitled to choose the wedding that speaks to their hearts, although I’m sure a lot of Nigerian families won’t be pleased with a small, intimate one

• artklub

July 21, 2017 at 3:24 am

i know right? that her whole outfit should cost $300 at H&M tops.

• O_o

July 21, 2017 at 4:09 am

She said less than $1K. I believe $300 is <$1000.

• Coral

July 21, 2017 at 6:57 pm

She said her dress cost less than $1k. Less than. Not exactly $1k.

11. zzzzzzzzzzz

July 21, 2017 at 9:03 am

Nigerian weddings is like a union of 2 families and there is no way it can be small. You just have to invite family and in African family means extended and this can be a whole village. That’s the reason why weddings are sometimes big. If you want to dispute what I wrote, have a wedding make it strictly by invitation and don’t invite some of you clan. You would not believe the amount of dust you would have raised.

12. Baby gurl

July 21, 2017 at 9:40 am

But everything Bruno said is TRUE tho. The truth is bitter. Nigerian weddings are circuses. But hey if you don’t care for magical moments, an intimate feel and solemn expressions of love, by all means please invite 500-5,000 guests. To each their own. As for me and my dear man, na 75 we go invite. 100 maximum! That’s all the people that love us, care for us and pray for us. Back to the article, beautiful wedding, beautiful bride! She must be a fan of Frida Kahlo as she was styled like her for her wedding. Lovely dress. Groom looks neat mahn! HML.

13. Toks

July 21, 2017 at 8:24 pm

For the pictures up there, it looks like they spent too much money for it. Looks more like a 500 naira wedding. But then again who cares, shebi it is U that wants to go viral.

14. Funmi

July 21, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Excuse me please, is $5 not a lot of money?

15. Small Wedding

July 21, 2017 at 9:42 pm

If the wedding was less than $5000, she must have had only 10 guests or maybe even less

16. Honey

July 22, 2017 at 7:44 pm

I nd my fiancee are having problems with ignoring Nigeria way of wedding, not all anyway, I prefer trad to be family thing, no music, guest, then church should be jes blessing of the ring, want to save money nd USe it for something better, being the ist child, my mom nd dad said it is not possible, they attend people ”s own, so people will attend his own. I don’t know if am stingy as a woman, but is silly to me that I will spend over 700 thousand in wedding, but I don’t have a land or car of my own. I hate unnecessary stress, sometimes I wish I live in abroad, they do my style of wedding.

• AAA

July 23, 2017 at 5:25 am

If it was left to my fiancé, we’ll get married in my parents’ sitting room as he does not do crowd at all – he lives an extremely simple life – work, mosque, market, home and his books. If he’s hanging out it is most likely an office function he really has to go to. I on the other hand, used to be a professional owambe attendee – well known in my circle and sometime get invited to most strictly by invitation weddings of colleagues.

I remember mentioning to my friends I am doing just 50 people and it is family only – you need to see reactions – the most common one is I don’t care, I have to be there as your friend. More than 10 friends have said they have to be there, in all honest I am tempted to do a destination wedding but then it ll be too expensive for us.

I am just happy my mother understand now I need to convince my siblings then cannot invite their in laws ( I am the last child, very social and most of my married friend’s parents are waiting to be there for me as I was for their children)

The hustle is hard mehn

17. your OGA

July 24, 2017 at 5:50 am

to be honest aside from is outfit there is no representation of culture in this pic. sorry but even the most bear bottom american weddings cost $15k. i know nigerian weddings are lavish but please lets not insult our culture just because other ppl are doing stuff differently. this is how white ppl make u feel ashamed of your culture and turn around to steal it. BEWARE!

• Corolla

July 25, 2017 at 12:35 am

Please, go and look for your brain in the gutter.

18. Lara

July 24, 2017 at 12:43 pm

It would have been nice to see pics of the actual wedding though …

• Poesy