Scoop

John Boyega calls out Game of Thrones & Lord of the Rings for Lack of Diversity

BellaNaija.com

John Boyega Graces the cover of GQ Magazine August 2017 BN Style (4)

John Boyega, who recently covered the latest issue of GQ Magazine, called out hit HBO series “Game of Thrones” for its lack of diversity.

In his interview with GQ, the “Star Wars” actor complained about how there were no black people in Game of Thrones, and neither was there in “Lord of the Rings”.

The actor said:

There are no black people on Game of Thrones. You don’t see one black person in Lord of the Rings. I ain’t paying money to always see one type of person on-screen.

You see different people from different backgrounds, different cultures, every day. Even if you’re a racist, you have to live with that. We can ruffle up some feathers.

Read the full interview here.

1. A man has no name

July 20, 2017 at 12:14 am

Melisandre and her boyfriend – the captain of the unsullied army(I can’t remember his name) are black.

• Jade

July 20, 2017 at 8:47 am

You mean Missandei, Melisandre is the red haired witch and she is white. I disagree with John though, there have been a smattering of black people which is to be expected considering the time and place the movie is set in.

2. Agu

July 20, 2017 at 12:32 am

if black people don’t like how lack of diversity game of throne is, the should go and do there own game of throne. every show on tv does not need to have a racial quota. every and every shoe should not be about how many whites are on it or how many blacks that are on it.

3. Weezy

July 20, 2017 at 12:35 am

I guess he is young – only 25 years old. He has some learning to do. Black people don’t need to be in Lord of the Rings for a black person to enjoy it.

4. Temi

July 20, 2017 at 1:46 am

Bwowy shut and don’t kill your career before it even starts

5. Ijebujesha

July 20, 2017 at 2:34 am

This is a very dumb calling out. Let black people also gather themselves and do something dope like GOT or LOTR. It’s like when one dumb Hausa film-maker lamented on twitter that there was no Hausa/Fulani culture in ‘Wedding Party’. Many told him to organize his Hausawood actors and do their own wedding party. Everything should not be based on quota system or diversity.

6. Jane(the real Jane)

July 20, 2017 at 2:41 am

Funny how I just saw this after I finished re watching Lord of the rings.. My fav movie in the whole wide world…..please Lord of the rings is a classic. Don’t bring race into it….biko

7. C

July 20, 2017 at 4:18 am

It’s not race it’s diversity. He has some valid points multiethnic cinema in Hollywood is rare but yet their society is the most multicultural. If it was like a country like Sweden before immigration now I’d be like but there’s only white people there duh. But in US it’s weird you go movies and see all types of people but the movie is just same kind of people. Idk it weirds me out if I watch a NON SCIFI … SciFi a different world so I generally don’t think about it… But like Romance movie all white or comedy it’s weird. I’ll watch it but I just feel like I am intruding on something I shouldn’t be part of. Not that it’s bad just it’s obvious I wasn’t part of the target audience for it.

• Joke

July 20, 2017 at 5:15 am

I stopped “intruding” years ago. I don’t watch Hollywood movies anymore, unless it’s a black cast and those don’t come frequently….I’d rather watch new Nollywood content.

8. Papacy

July 20, 2017 at 5:39 am

You’re just raising this now? In the 7th and last season. We love our GOT laidat. Not every time race, race. Let’s just enjoy a good thing for what it is.

9. Chinny

July 20, 2017 at 8:58 am

He should get his facts right before he continues to disgrace himself. One of the thirteen who offered Danaerys his protection is a black man. Nigerian for that matter. Also, there were black people in Dorne. He should watch the series. Everything shouldn’t be racially profiled besides, a lot of movies are all black cast as well. I’m yet to read about whites complaining about not being included in an all black movie. Another case in point are the Bond movies{007}. Any one who has read the novels by Ian Fleming knows that 007 is a white British agent. Soon, blacks will want an African James Bond!

• bellamafia

July 20, 2017 at 4:19 pm

the Pirate, Saan was also black. The one that met Davos and his son on the beach near Dragonstone.

10. zzzzzzzzzzz

July 20, 2017 at 9:27 am

I hope he dosen’t kill his career with this. We do not need blacks to be in a film for it to be enjoyed.

11. Lady S

July 20, 2017 at 10:14 am

He should have taken the historical context within which the film was situated before making such a statement, especially for Lord of the Rings.
    If a movie was made about the first half of Things Fall Apart, can you imagine white people lamenting about racial diversity and not being represented in an African village setting?
    Abeg let me stop here before I vex.
    Don’t touch LOTR 😀

12. Me

July 20, 2017 at 10:20 am

And I thought this guy was intelligent. Why should they have black people in those shows if it is not historically factual? Why do black people just like waiting for oyinbos to do things for them? You won’t hear a chinese person or indian person saying this kind of rubbish, just lazy black men waiting to be carried through life.

13. Moniker

July 20, 2017 at 12:11 pm

So in his mind, he has said something?

14. Etty

July 20, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Lord of the Rings is part of Tolkien’s lore which purpose was to give England its own mythology. Tolkien was a man who was so purist that he felt the arthurian myth was way too french to be considered english… I guess he did not have dark skinned people in mind when he thought about ancient England.
    For Game of Thrones, there are dark skinned people… The Sand Snakes, Missandei and Grey Worm etc…
    Fantasy is strongly influenced by European Medieval time and it tends to see dark skinned people living at the border of their worlds. Maybe it will change in the future, it would be great !

15. Tru