BN TV

Here’s why people think this Audi Ad is Offensive

BellaNaija.com

See why people think this Audi Ad is OffensiveAn Audi ad in China has been condemned by people on social media for comparing women to used cars.

The video features a couple on their wedding day, standing at the altar.

The groom’s mother interrupts the wedding, then proceeds to inspect the body of the bride, before giving the groom her seal of approval.

The ad cuts to the approval of an online store selling used cars, saying it is “assured by official certificate.”

A Jiangxi-based woman wrote on her Weibo (China’s equivalent to Twitter) account: “(I) Strongly request that this ad is pulled, and for Audi to issue an apology for this kind of unconscientious creation.”

Another user said: “From the inception of this idea to its broadcasting, was there a single woman who worked on this commercial?”

According to South China Morning Post, an Audi spokesman said that the matter is being investigated, adding that the company’s marketing in China is the responsibility of its local joint venture partner.

See the ad below:

Video Credit: Instagram – buzzfeednews

1. Bennie

July 18, 2017 at 12:25 pm

They are very right, why would the groom’s mother inspect a bride like that as if it is a farmer pricing a farm animal and wants to be sure the animal is okay?moreso, is she just seeing the bride?
    The Ad is really offensive jor, i understand that they might be trying to say a man values his car just as he values his wife but it is so wrong. It really should be taken down this is not the early 40s

2. Aunty Pempem

July 18, 2017 at 12:51 pm

I find certain adverts here in Nigeria also tilt in this direction, where the mother in law is seen as the demigod. I’m referring to a certain advert for bleach and another for stock cubes. SMH. Very annoying, I’m all for trying to create a good impression but why all the hyperventilating. Shouldn’t you be loved for who u are. Too much unnecessary pressure from ‘external forces’ on marriages these days.

3. Marketing Manager

July 18, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Chai women have suffered. The misogyny.

The thing is advertising has really strong personalities bordering on uncouth, this is because they try to encourage creativity. What then happens is that it becomes like high school, a senior creative officer okays the ad and everyone is fine with it or at least pretends to be. My main challenge however is with the Audi marketing team, so no one could say anything at all but then maybe they sealed the campaign over a night out with the marketing director.

I’m just trying to imagine the scenario as someone who has worked on both the Agency and client end. As a marketing manager, I wish someone would dare, lord knows, even if my marketing director was fine with it , I would refute it so vehemently and say I consider it offensive but oh well, now the entire team will get the flack (except someone had sent an email to a superior registering displeasure).

4. Marketing Manager

July 18, 2017 at 12:57 pm

But there is another angle, maybe they thought any publicity is good publicity or they had a central message which was lost on us but brands should be careful when using gender or race, it’s risky

5. cocozee

July 18, 2017 at 12:59 pm

The Chinese have their own culture and if the several Chinese series/movies I have seen are anything to go by, its perfectly normal to do this.
    Sometimes we leave the message being passed across and start digging deeper looking for flaws!
    They should get a sense of humour abeg.

• Chy

July 18, 2017 at 1:16 pm

You’re an idiot!
      Chinese people are saying they are offended you’re busy quoting “several” Chinese movies to explain their own culture to them
      Amarom ebe esi nupute gi

• PeeCeeCee

July 18, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Sooo true. Not just the Chinese, Koreans too have this over- inflated honor given to husbands and mother-in-law. Their TV dramas will convince you. So yea, this ad just depicted how a traditional Asian society view marriage and females.

P.S I’m a K- Drama addict, by the way… Lol.

6. PeeCeeCee

July 18, 2017 at 1:23 pm

@ Chy…and you called her an idiot, because? Chai. Send me your postal address, I need to send you God’s holy spirit to infuse calmness into you. My own personal gift is an “ewo, jisike. *hugs*”. Cheers

• Chy

July 18, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Well she’s kind of an idiot (since you assumed it’s a female) cos only an idiot will watch several movies and then proceed to lecture over 1.3billion people about their culture.

• ***

July 18, 2017 at 1:56 pm

• May

July 21, 2017 at 5:49 am

So Holy Spirit is now sent by post……Na wa o. Someone should have notified me earlier, I won’t have bothered going to church every Sunday.

7. Blah

July 18, 2017 at 2:21 pm

@Chy I’m sure you’re from that Oshodi Oke blog.
    Incapable of expressing even the most basic thoughts without foul abuse.
    Ok now that you insulted her, did your account balance make a leap of joy?

@*** do you think it knows what ‘weibos’ even mean? Lol

8. chi

July 18, 2017 at 9:02 pm

And only an idiot like you @chy will read two ‘weibos’ and assume that 1.3 billion chinese people are offended…………Damnñnnnnnn..Your wicked