News

President Buhari met with my father – Emeka Ojukwu

President Buhari did meet with my father - Emeka Ojukwu - BellaNaija

Late Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu

Emeka Ojukwu has refuted claims that he said President Muhammadu Buhari lied about meeting his father, the late Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu.

According to Daily Trust, in a statement released to newsmen in Awka, Anambra State on Wednesday, he denied granting an interview to any media house, or posting anything on social media.
He asked the President to disregard such news, adding that it is true President Buhari met with his father, just as he claimed. He said:
It has been brought to my attention that there is an article making the rounds on social media attributed to me refuting the remarks of Mr. President concerning his relationship and discussions with my late father.
Let me lend my voice to those of the rest of my fellow countrymen and welcome Mr. President back home.
Let me state the following categorically; firstly, that I made no such comments to anybody, and secondly that I am aware that His Excellency’s comments were indeed factual.
I have noticed a disturbing trend recently of fake news being attributed to me on social media.
I don’t know who is behind it or what their motivation might be, but let me assure you that any time I feel the need to comment publicly on any matter, I will not do so via some anonymous email or anything of the like, rather be rest assured that there will be no ambiguity whatsoever as to whether the comments came from me.

1. NG

August 24, 2017 at 9:15 am

Good clarification. Still changes nothing:
    Ojukwu remains a hero, Buhari’s address was an opportunity missed- as usual.

• Mr.A

August 24, 2017 at 9:37 am

You have a right to your opinion and also to comment such. But I disagree, Ojukwu is not a hero, neither is Buhari, Ahmadu Bello,Obasanjo, etc . Yes all men have their flaws and indeed their motivation for doing what they did but no these men mentioned and basically ALL the military leaders and politicians we have had in Nigeria are not Heroes. In my opinion, the only heroes are the soldiers,policemen (the few amongst them that do not lord it over civilians and are honest),workers in other professions that do their Job diligently and at great risk to themselves still perform optimally (like Dr.Adadevoh,the nurse who worked with her as well, Dora akunyili etc), people who put other people’s well being above theirs. There are examples of heroes that predate these wicked people who we have allowed rule us, example mary slessor, fela kuti’s mum, etc. I dislike the word ‘hero’ anyway, love thy neighbor as thyself. But if it must be used, let it be used correctly.

• agu

August 24, 2017 at 10:29 am

sadly to break it to you ojukwu is not a hero and will never be one. what drove him to start Biafra war that end up killing more than 2 million people is selfishness you might not see it that way because you are looking at it from igbo ethnic perspective. but what i will say is that nnamdi Kanu is worst than him. this guy just spend just less than 2 years in jail some brainwashed fellow igbo people start comparing him Ghandi, Marthin luther king and Nelson Mandela. what a joke.

• Diamond

August 24, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Ojukwu did not start the civil war… Ndigbo mandated him to declare Biafra.. The Nigerian army fired the first shot in Cross River. Get your facts right, and stop typing gibberish

• Ifeoma Torti

August 24, 2017 at 9:27 pm

This boy called Emeka is a fool. Was he there during the meeting to know what they discussed? Buhari can say anything now because Ojukwu is not here to say he is lying and this idiot drunkard son who was in America destroying his life in 2003 is now here to talk on behalf of the father who disowned him. Shame on him. Ojukwu was right to disown him.

2. Bowl

August 24, 2017 at 9:30 am

And so ? It wasn’t that your dad or Buhari were key government functionaries at the time . Even if they were , it does not belong to two people , two people ( emphasis deliberate) to decide the fate of millions Biafrans.

3. ND

August 24, 2017 at 9:34 am

Hmm me i no dey sure weda I want to call Ojukwu hero oo.
    Yes he wanted the best for his people but the his decision to go into war was a
    bad one. He didn’t take into consideration that too many lives would be lost. The Igbo people lost too many dear ones and investments. Many young people that would have made the East great died. He should have chosen another non violent way of achieving his goal. War is never a good thing. Well he is only an imperfect man. Imperfect men make wrong decisions sometimes.

• Diamond

August 24, 2017 at 6:29 pm

It is Ndigbo that told Ojukwu: “Give us guns, give us knives. We have in our hearts”. They would have still gone into war with or without Ojukwu.

• Diamond

August 24, 2017 at 6:30 pm

We have anger*

4. nene+

August 24, 2017 at 10:01 am

Is Mary Slessor a Nigerian? or are we talking about world hero(s)?. You deliberately skipped Jonathan?
    It is laughable why people like you will continue to be deceptive, yet GMB is clinging on to it despite ruling from home?

• Jade

August 24, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Abeg, give examples of what makes Jonathan a hero? Are you getting paid by Jonathan bcos you mention his name where it has nothing to do with him. Mary slessor is not Naija but she contributed to make a difference in something pertaining to Nigerians. Dr Adadevoh was a true act of altruism. May her gentle soul rest in peace.

5. Fefa

August 24, 2017 at 3:39 pm

@Jade
    1. Conceding in the most seamless selfless way that prevented a potential bloodbath that would have taken millions of lives. Despite obvious rigging.
    2. Allowing & ensuring freedom of speech regardless of any bias.
    3. The most civil Nigerian president yet! After Nnamdi Azikiwe.

• godwin

August 24, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Joker! Like Jonathan didn`t enable and encourage that worst level of corruption that brought the country to its knees.

• jade

August 25, 2017 at 10:55 pm

@Fefa
      Clearly, you are on jonathan’s payroll. Jonathan himself doesn’t even believe he’s a hero which is the reason he’s been hiding his face. His wife, Patience has laid so low since they left Aso Rock. Heroes walk around with courage, boldness and clear mind. Is the $20billion that went missing under his administration part of his heroism? Is it his high consumption of alcohol that makes him a hero? Heroism is not about doing what you are suppose to do(he lost the election, Naijas were ready for a new administration) unfortunately another devil got into Aso rock. APC marketed Buhari very well and naijas fell for it. . Abeg, take several seats and go read the definition of hero/heroism.

6. Ro

August 24, 2017 at 4:01 pm

This relocate.com reminds me of that Jupiter guy, very airhead comments.
    I’m wondering if they paid bella for advert, cos the name and number is boldly displayed on every post.

7. nnenne

August 24, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Ojukwu should be allowed to rest in peace!
    You all should know that igbos do not have a caliphate.
    They don’t follow any one sheepishly! They have minds of their own and they ask questions.

Be reminded that Aba women’s riot was in the 1920s, an act, women in some Nigerian societies can’t even do today!

Igbos love and respect Ojukwu but he doesn’t have Igbos on a leash. No one does!

• mua

August 27, 2017 at 1:28 am

… and that’s how you all go about deceiving your intellectually bereft selves.
      Always playing the victim like y’all are saints… your dream country (united state of biafra) won’t last a trimester due to your greed, selfishness, wicked evil nature etc. Go and ask your counterparts in Sudan.