Music

If Public Officers swear by a “fearsome African deity” there will be no Corruption – Yeni Kuti

BellaNaija.com

If politicians swear by Ogun there will be no more corruption - Yeni Kuti - BellaNaija

Yeni Kuti

Yeni Kuti daughter of legendary afrobeat musician Fela Kuti, has suggested what she says is a foolproof way of preventing corruption.

In an interview with Classic FM, the retired dancer has asked the Federal Government to consider adopting traditional African medicine a.k.a Juju as a tool for fighting corruption.

According to Punch, Yeni Kuti in the interview said the government should ensure government officials swear by juju on election into office, rather than the Bible or Koran. She said:

Just as Sophie Oyewole has suggested, let them use it to swear in government officials and we shall see if anybody will continue to steal our money in this country or not. I am sure that if they are made to swear by Ogun or some other fearsome African deity, there will be no more corruption.

She discussed her belief in traditional religion, saying it wasn’t exactly the influence of Fela that made strengthened her belief, although his arguments were enough to convince her. She said:

It is not that my father made me to embrace it through indoctrination; I learnt and I actually believe in it. As a matter of fact, Fela’s arguments in defence of the traditional African religion were enough to convince me.

When I was a young girl and I knew nothing about his dislike for what he often described as ‘foreign religions’ (Christianity and Islam), I used to visit the Braithwaites and accompany them to church on Sundays. When Fela heard of it, he warned me never to use the allowance he gave me for offering in the church. I can’t forget it.

She talked about the hypocrisy of Nigerians toward their faith and religion. She said they profess belief in Christianity or Islam by day, then go ahead to visit places of traditional medicine when no one is looking.

Yeni Kuti also discussed her late father Fela, saying she still dreamed of him. She said:

It’s 20 years since my father died, but it doesn’t seem as if he has been gone for so long. I miss him and I still talk to him in my mind.

He and other departed members of my family have also appeared to me in my dreams. I don’t know if it is right to say that they appear to me, but I see them in my dreams. I dream of them a lot.

I believe in life after death. Also I believe that if my father has a message for me, he will come directly to me and not go through someone I don’t know or like.

If anybody tells me that Fela has sent a message to me through him, I would tell him to ask my dad to appear to me directly himself.

1. Seriously

August 10, 2017 at 11:39 am

I have respect for the Kuti family but this is rubbish. Her suggestion is another abuse of religion/spirituality. Majority of Nigerians are into traditional religion, they go to church but still believe/practice juju.
    Corruption, greed is a character flaw. Whether they swear by Jesus Christ or some deity, it won’t change their inner core. I mean, it will only produce fear since many are afraid of witchcraft. Let’s teach/practice/build character like true kindness, consideration of others, respect for one another, healthy competition etc

What will mainly change is to enforce laws that gives harsh pinishment for all. There is corruption in the U.S, it’s limited only bcos government officials know they can be exposed, prosecuted at any time. Serve jail time, have their integrity stripped away. Nigerian government officials steal, embezzle on a large scale bcos they know there’s no consequence and will get away with it.

Create equal opportunities, the lack of jobs, money, basic necessities is driving people insane. Average Nigerians should have a mindset of working hard and live in a sufficient way.

• Nee

August 10, 2017 at 12:14 pm

I think her point is that deep down, many of these people fear these ‘African deities’ more than their Christian or Islamic deities, even when they claim to be Christian.

• jade edo

August 10, 2017 at 11:59 pm

chai, u dey talk truth.. Africans been hiding under some type of religion since 19 gbogboro. It’s clear by now we need a more practical approach. I like the part where you mentioned churchgoers who practice juju, same applies to muslims who do juju. Infact, no one does juju pass hausa people, north area. U tink na ordinary they get to power then nobody can talk against them

• Fleur

August 11, 2017 at 1:50 am

Indeed oh. I can just see God laughing and in his humorous way saying “Yeni and her posse, they fear gods more than I. gods carved out of wood, part of which they have used to make their meals and warm themselves. They think not of the fact that the thing they fear was made with the feeble hands of men from a tree that I created from sheer words – a tree I can command to rot or to fluorish with mere words.” Yeni, thief na thief. Even if God was to send brinstone, these people will still steal. What they need is a society that rejects the outcomes of their thievery – wealth, large houses, resources that cannot be explained. When we stop giving them chieftaincy titles and dishonor them they will not steal.

2. Bruno

August 10, 2017 at 11:45 am

But Fela schooled in the UK. Got foreign exposure but foreign God? Am I missing something.

3. LemmeRant

August 10, 2017 at 12:44 pm

The same African deities they appease when they want to use peoples organs and lives for ritual.

4. ***

August 10, 2017 at 1:54 pm

And for the oath, the effing dieties will tell us they need heads of five women virgins and require the civil servants sleep amongst corpses for one week…all these fela’s crack babies and their bizzare ideologies

5. concerned9ja

August 10, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Spoke my mine use same dieties to perpetuate evil..rituals and other blood sucking activities in order to hold on to power and wealth.

6. nene

August 10, 2017 at 4:38 pm

yeni pls stop talking!

7. yorobania are aryans them de see in higher definitions oh!

August 14, 2017 at 11:35 am