Events

Nigerian Food Truck takes top Prize at New York Food Competition

BellaNaija.com

The Vendy Awards, a coveted prize for the best mobile food in New York City was won by a Nigerian – DF Nigerian – in it’s 13th year.

The Vendy award is an annual food cook-off that crowns the best in mobile food vending in the city, while raising funding for Street Vendor Project of the Urban Justice Center.

This year, the top prize – the Vendy cup – went to Godshelter aka Divine and Bisola Oluwalogbon.

The couple, assisted by their 3 lovely children, served jollof rice, peppered goat stew, efo riro, puff puff, moi moi, and suya.

The truck, which is located close to the Nigerian Embassy on 44th & 2nd Avenue, Manhattan was deemed the best in the whole of New York.

Godshelter, speaking after the win, said it was a “beautiful thing for me and my family.”

See photos of the event below:

Nigerian Food Truck takes top Prize at New York Food Competition - BellaNaija Nigerian Food Truck takes top Prize at New York Food Competition - BellaNaija Nigerian Food Truck takes top Prize at New York Food Competition - BellaNaija Nigerian Food Truck takes top Prize at New York Food Competition - BellaNaijaPhoto Credit: vendyawards

1. Blush

September 20, 2017 at 11:57 pm

Congrats to them! I love eating here during my lunch break. Their jollof is bomb!!!! Well deserved.

2. Babyzico

September 21, 2017 at 12:08 am

Hardwork pays. May God take your family and business higher. IJN

3. Hotchick

September 21, 2017 at 12:29 am

Congrats Mr. Divine. The food is really delish!! Naija embassy tinz.

4. OA

September 21, 2017 at 2:57 am

Amen! I’m so happy for them. The beginning of greater things.

5. Ms B

September 21, 2017 at 3:33 am

Awesome! Well done guys!

6. Anonymous

September 21, 2017 at 3:38 am

I went to get my Nigerian passport and came across this food truck! My husband and I ate soooo much food that day. That food is AMAZING!!!! They have everything from Egusi to moin-moin, chin-chin, jolloff, puff puff. Kudos to them!!!

7. chux

September 21, 2017 at 7:29 am

Congratulation Mr Devine. I always crave for his buns.

8. BMB

September 21, 2017 at 8:41 am

Congratulations

9. Tife

September 21, 2017 at 9:42 am

Oh mine, My Husband and I were in New York for some part of our honeymoon and we were looking for Nigerian food and someone told us to go to the Nigerian Embassy, As the JJC that we were, we waka waka taya for NY before finding the embassy, our consolation was that the food was really like a Nigerian Buka food. Congrats to them……..

10. BeeJay

September 21, 2017 at 10:03 am

I visited their restaurant about 5 years ago when I was in New York. Their jollof rice was great, the meats were seasoned to the bone. It’s a place to visit if you are looking for good Nigerian food. I am really happy for your family, Mr Divine. Keep it up.

11. Lilo

September 21, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Warms my heart to see a family business thriving. Up Nigeria

12. Joyce

September 21, 2017 at 2:10 pm

This is an amazing story. May this open more doors to the family. Hard work and perseverance pay at the end. May God continue to bless their hard work.

13. Bruness

September 21, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Abeg can Guy Fiery locate them for triple D already. Congrats to the Oluwalogbons.

14. Bruness

September 21, 2017 at 5:54 pm

#Guy Fieri

15. Yummy

September 21, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Bought food from here for several days a couple decembers ago. Didn’t mind the long distance from my hotel to where the food truck was parked. The food is really good and well portioned too. Congrats guys

16. Delta geh

September 22, 2017 at 10:19 pm

I love seeing the good reviews from everyone. Just goes to show that the award isn’t a fluke. I would hopefully go there if I ever visit NY.