BN TV

“It’s frustrating when people say everything gets handed over to me” – DJ Cuppy

BellaNaija.com

DJ Cuppy, in an interview with Goldmyne TV, has said her biggest challenge is getting out of her father Femi Otedola‘s shadow.

Cuppy said her father is hardworking and an inspiration to her, and she finds it difficult to separate their brands.

She gets frustrated when people don’t acknowledge her hard work, she said, and when they say everything gets handed over to her.

She added that it would be an honor if Tiwa Savage did a remix to her song with TeknoGreen Light

Watch the interview below:

1. Yellow sun

November 10, 2017 at 10:29 pm

Pele darling…if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks you won’t go far..
    You didn’t choose to be born into the money
    You owe no one any apologies….who doesn’t wish to be born into comfort…abegi enjoy and revel in it jor

• seriously

November 11, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Sorry, not everyone wishes to have her comfort life. I don’t envy any of these celebrities or rich people. I’m more envious of people like Mother Teresa), Nelson mandela, Sankara etc men and women who have given to the world selflessly. I want to leave a legacy, change not luxury. Dj cuppy, you gotta be real tho, your father’s name has played a role in your success. . Okay, the song with tekno, all you said is, I love your greenlight, tell me something pom, pom. WTF, you call that talent. i know, Nigeria music industry don’t require much, just some bomb ass beat. If it was someone people don’t know, nobody would care neither will tekno feature bcos your talent didn’t stand out. I will say, your older sis has some potential talent.

• Loki

November 13, 2017 at 2:55 pm

@Seriously – I truly hope you’re being sincere with yourself that you wouldn’t like to be born into money and you would prefer to impact the world in more material ways. Cos EVERYONE says this…yet there are so few Mother Theresas and Mandelas. Seems there’s a disconnect somewhere.

That being said, if you truly want to be like those people you mentioned, it’s not exactly difficult. Mother Theresa simply went to the poorest place she could find and dedicated her entire life to the people she found there. There are many such places in Nigeria. I’m sure they’ll accept all the help they can get.
      To be Mandela, you simply need to be extremely rebellious to our present useless government. Did you participate during Occupy Nigeria? Have you been a part of any protest against our unfair government or organised one?

If you are already doing these things, then I applaud you. If you are not…

Everybody wants to be Jesus…until it’s time to actually get on the cross.

• seriously

November 15, 2017 at 7:16 pm

@seriously
      I see where you are coming from. But I deeply meant what I said 100%. I understand the sacrifice that comes with a lifestyle like Mother Teresa. I don’t like to brag about what I do, how I help others but I will say I’m trying. My mom does a lot of missionary work. She was one of the nurses who helped during the Haiti earthquake. She’s currently in Ethiopia for mission work. I grew up with that. And when I visit Nigeria with my dad, I spend a lot of time with orphans and widows in Kano, Zaria, just up north because that’s where my dad is from. Even though, he speaks Yoruba. I hope to do so much more.

2. Ec

November 10, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Sometimes wee would like to sympathise with you however a majority of Nigerians don’t know what it feels like to have your wealth and connections

3. prettyplease

November 10, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Rich people problems…

• ij

November 13, 2017 at 2:27 pm

as in!!! , Must be very tiresome having access to all that resource. i almost feel like i owe her an apology

4. emmyloaded

November 11, 2017 at 12:40 am

hahahaahah dat your life

5. Victor Adegoke

November 11, 2017 at 3:22 am

A Billionaire’s Daughter

6. bruno

November 11, 2017 at 6:37 am

hard work ke? nigerian paris hilton.

u have gotten very far in ur dj career cause this is nigeria, u dont need talent, just be from a rich home and have connections.
    I wonder how other nigerian DJs who had to work blood sweat and tears to get to where they are feel about u.

dj cuppy u don’t even dj for the money, u dj for the fun of it. its ur hobby.

• Olly

November 11, 2017 at 8:05 am

Mr bruno. Nobody is disputing the fact that her father had a role to play. If my dad was as wealthy as hers, i will definitely ask for a loan and connection. Like you rightly said, being a dj is her hobby. that’s why she doesn’t need to work that hard because she enjoys what she does. It just flows. If at your age, you do not understand that the best way to enjoying your career is turning your hobby or passion to coins, then my friend you are in the wrong career path

• Midday Cana

November 11, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Are you kidding! The same rules apply everywhere in the world boss. Once you come from money it’s more or less easier to be successful. So it’s not only a Naija thing the same would apply to Philip Green’s daughter, Richard Branson’s daughter or even Jeff Bezos. It’s the way of the world.

• L-O

November 11, 2017 at 3:03 pm

If money was all that was needed to have a successful career in entertainment, we would have several more stars than we currently do. Don’t undermine another person’s work, it’s hard enough to succeed as a woman in the industry. Her father’s wealth in this context is not privilege, it is a blessing.

7. anonymous

November 11, 2017 at 7:46 am

This girl was literally imposed on Nigeria with money and she wants us to instantly or is it regularly her “hard ” work and jet setting lifestyle living the high life? Sorry? Read these excerpts from an interview with Warren Buffett on CNBC. The 2nd richest human being who gave little to his kids but $31B to charities. ” Bought his 1st share at 11 yrs from waking early and delivering newspapers, bought a small farm at 14 yrs, Still lives in the same small 3 bedroom house in mid-town Omaha, Nebraska which he bought 50 yrs ago after marriage. The house has no wall or fence. He said he has everything he needs in that house. He drives himself, has no driver. HE NEVER TRAVELS by PRIVATE JETthough he OWNs the world’s LARGEST private jet company. His past time after he gets home is to make pop corn himself and watch TV. Bill Gates, the richest man met him 5 years ago. He thought they had nothing in common and scheduled 30 mins for the meeting. He ended up spending 10 HOURS with Warren! He carries no cellphone….saysmoney doesnt create a man etc, etc..” Ms Cuppy, I feel for you. Don’t mind those who ignore your hard work. Btw I’m not one of those jealous of you as I have seen you in person playing DJ…. and I’m very content with my life. The picture of you in my memory was one with you alone in a private jet, supposedly because you were so hard working etc etc. It must be hard to remix other people’s music. Keep at it. We notice your hard work, like Warren after all Nigerians have very short memories!

• Midday Cana

November 11, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Bad belle people!

• L-O

November 11, 2017 at 3:07 pm

People should be free to make choices that affect their life. If Warren wants to spend very little for himself & give out more, that’s cool. Yes you see DJ Cuppy’s flashy lifestyle, but do you really know what she does for others? Warren is popular / famous but not a celebrity, while Cuppy is. As a celeb, especially in Nigeria, you have to sell the dream to others.

8. anonymous

November 11, 2017 at 7:47 am

Omitted “recognize” on second line.

9. Jemimah

November 11, 2017 at 10:54 am

This one is always using mumu topics like this to trend. She knows it’ll trigger response so she plays that card every so often. It’s time to change gear ma, traffic don move. .

• Dan

November 11, 2017 at 11:14 am

It’s her wrong choice of hair colour that is distracting. She might even be an ok DJ but the tunes have been drowned out by the hair.

• Cynical

November 11, 2017 at 2:01 pm

@ Dan, honestly. I wasn’t paying attention to anything she was saying, just looking at the hair and wondering why someone with so much money can’t buy a nice fitting wig.??

10. Asake

November 11, 2017 at 11:23 am

I always remember Falz interview, at the beginning he was referred to as Femi Falana’s son now his father is referred to as Falz’s dad. You might say Falana doesn’t have that kind of money, let’s take a look at Davido – there’s family money, he has a couple of controversies ( I will say it is age related, we didn’t all “mature” at the same time – some of us including myself are late bloomers ) but you cannot deny the fact that Davido works hard in his craft.

If you don’t want people to think things were handed over to you, you have to work hard. Since you became Tourism Ambassador, what have you done to develop that sector? What have you done to promote “Why holiday abroad?”.

With respect to Djing, are you in the same league as Dj Lambo ( the female that comes to mind). If I want a female Dj at my event, will you come to mind? When people in your society circle get married, are you their natural first choice?

Tolz, Dj Xclusive, Davido, Alex – Arsenal football etc parents also have money but when I read about them I think about their craft before their parentage.

• AceOfSpades

November 11, 2017 at 5:07 pm

True o….I was at an event in Duluth, someone pointed a man to me and said that’s ‘daddy davido’. I didn’t need any other intro. Davido is being compared to the best in Africa right now (wizkid) but you aren’t being compared to DJ Jimmy.

As an upcoming DJ, you DJ’ed MAMA awards, that is something only privilege can get you it’s like Bill Gates’ son hosting Grammy of course they’d be happy to let him.

The time we start saying your daddy is Daddy Cuppy Music instead of Otedola then we can lambast anyone who talks about everything being handed.

11. Californiabawlar

November 11, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I always knew about salty nutritious white tears ?… I just didn’t know that a Nigerian could also produce such deliciousness.
    Hmm! I wonder what the secret ingredient is ????? Oh, I get it! PRIVILEGE! Word on the street is that to get the premium level of salty whiny goodness, the privilege must come at the expense of the masses… hmmn hmn hmnn… that just perfects the recipe every single time!

• jokobaba

November 11, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Californiabawlar if we relate we no go separate. Send me you digits ?

• aj

November 12, 2017 at 6:37 am

lmaooooooooooooooooo you are not serious one bit! At first i thought you were talking about the comments and scrolled away…then i scrolled again. You are funny! I’m thinking you can use the salty tears to make obe ata!

12. Dr.N

November 11, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Some people are praying this kind of “frustration” falls on them. ???
    Never mind them my dear. Haters!!!

13. MurderSheWrote

November 11, 2017 at 8:33 pm

To be very honest, I wish this was my problem oh Lord!! LOL. An upcoming DJ from Mushin Sholosha would not dare reach Rhythm Unplugged or MAMA or London club *insert whatever club’s name* to say she wanna DeeJay for them. D what? Before u say D, your ass is out the door. Which upcoming DJ would do a world tour before her career takes off? LMAAAOOOO. Just saying. Not hating. But she really should shut the hell up and stop whining from interview to interview. All that just screams she is still not confident in her ability (if there is any) to be a world class DJ. Girl, get your act together, stop talking about or referencing your dad’s wealth in interviews. Toolz, Falz and Davido didn’t have to explain anything to anybody. Their talents spoke for them. Let your talent (once again, if there is any) do the talking. God bless you dear girl. Mwah!

14. Comment

November 13, 2017 at 5:13 am

This girl didn’t choose her birth parents or lineage. Give her a break. She’s making an attempt and not doing drugs or laying about like many rich kids around the world. Many of you are just being unduly unkind. You don’t even know her personally. Wish her well and move on I beg.