Sweet Spot

Chisara Eluka initiates ‘Young Igbo Women Association’ a Support Network to Unite & Empower Women in Diaspora

BellaNaija.com

“If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down, these women together ought to be able to turn it right again” – Sojourner Truth

About Young Igbo Women Association (YIWA):
YIWA was founded in the summer of 2017 by Chisara Eluka. This association’s primary purpose is to create a support network for umu nwanyi no obodo oyibo (Igbo women overseas).

Short and long-term visions consist of uniting, honouring, empowering, celebrating, expanding our knowledge and supporting ndi Igbo (Igbo people) in the diaspora. YIWA targets young women from the age of 18 to 35 who reside in the U.K with indigenous Igbo heritage. Chisara envisioned bringing women together to collaborate and collate collective ideas that will promote our culture today. She wants to remove the social stigma of women hating on fellow women through setting an example for everyone by creating a forum of togetherness. Together women can do more, go further and change the world.

Igbo people are unique, strong and powerful, without being bias history shows that we have contributed so much to the Nigerian society. Chisara aims to celebrate and remember the powerful Igbo pioneers like Ada Priscilla Nzimiro (the first Igbo woman from Igboland to qualify as a Doctor) who made an impact in our communities. With such insight and knowledge, we will be driven to achieve and make a difference.

For many years, I have been passionate about helping women in Nigeria therefore in time as a charity, YIWA will help less privileged women (widows and motherless children) back home in Nigeria through direct charitable aid, therefore we ask vendors and charities in Nigeria to step forward to help in reaching as many women and children as possible. How do we accomplish this goal? In the UK we aim to raise financial and material aid through:
-Fundraisers
-Gala nights
-Social networking events
-Igbo Women’s Day (in commemoration of the Aba Women’s War -1929)
-Mother’s Day celebration
-Cookouts

YIWA membership will consist of:
-Networking Events (Social & Professional)
-Igbo Classes
-Cooking Classes
-Meeting once a month
-Group Dinners/Film Nights
-Celebrations (when a YIWA member is celebrating a life-changing event, we will support and celebrate with you)
-Showcasing Talent (Talent Nights)
-Group Gatherings
-Translantic Trips

For more information please contact us at [email protected]

——————————————————————————————————————-
Sponsored Content

1. John

December 7, 2017 at 12:56 pm

“If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down, these women together ought to be able to turn it right again” –Sojourner Truth…………..I am confused with this quote…it doesn’t make sense to me infact it is contradictory…except my own Bible is different

2. John

December 7, 2017 at 1:05 pm

But that being said ..I kinda love it and there is something honest , pure and drama free about their initiative …I don’t know whether it is bcos it is headed by only igbo women , I dont know..but this is a group I would love my daughter to be in..I look at the pic above and see the likes of Ngozi okonjo iweala, Dora akunyili even Chimanda adichie( only her literature talent oo) etc..I will like to support it if I could.Nice One

3. Onyeanambra

December 7, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Pls Can I be the commissioner for this initiative.

I’ll ensure that the welfare of every Nigerian Igbo woman in diaspora is well taken care of. I’ll also keep you up to date with all the happenings in the east during This festive period and most importantly ensure every Igbo woman marries her Prince Charming.
    Vote me & Together we’ll stand.

4. Engoz

December 7, 2017 at 3:16 pm

Very good initiative at reviving female consciousness. I absolutely think our foremothers were far ahead in the concept of female consciousness. Despite being a patrilineal society there’s the concept of duality in Igbo land. My dad always talks in awe of how powerful the women in his community were in the past. The British destroyed the female structures and elevated the male structures. Now the umuada has been reduced to be fighting for george at wedding ceremonies. We must revive this structures as a political and social tool it was meant to be.

5. NG

December 7, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Kindly also add the provision/production of educational/informational materials to your action list. Story books, cultural toys etc. Organise cultural clubs/debates in the mother tongue for your kids/ History classes- not just Igbo history but history of the different major people groups in Nigeria- in depth to enable your kids understand the dynamics of the socio-political cum cultural landscape of Nigeria.

Let your kids become proud of their heritage through an understanding that despite the seeming value loss by many, the Igbo is a value-driven people. Let the historical context of the political reality of the people drive your narrative to them. Don’t make them ethnocentric, but please don’ shy away from arming them with enough awareness of the daunting challenges facing the average Igbo person in Nigeria. They will navigate the economic, cultural and socio-political landscape of Nigeria (if they choose to return home) better if so well armed.

Good luck!

6. BoghoEl

December 8, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Congratulations Chisara, on launching. I have been privy to some of the events organized, they have been unifying and supportive. Am here to donate, support and encourage in any capacity.
    Long live YIWA 🙂

7. ST

December 8, 2017 at 3:40 pm

This is good! Hopefully it continues to grow in vision and membership!