Scoop

E! News’ Catt Sadler leaves after Learning Male Coworker makes Double her Pay

BellaNaija.com

Catt Sadler. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images)

Longtime employee of entertainment and lifestyle network E! Catt Sadler has announced her decision to leave her “dream job,” People reports.

Talking to People, Sadler said she’s had to pinch herself every day, excited that she gets to do her dream job. However, things turned sour after she learned her male coworker earned almost double of what she did. She said:

Up until this point, I mean it really has been a dream job. Literally a dream job. I’m from Indiana, born and raised, and I had my sights set on E! and I’ve seen the world.

I’ve had the best experiences. I’ve gotten incredibly close with all of my coworkers. It’s like a family here and it’s been beautiful for the majority of my run. I pinch myself every day the job that I get to do. I have so much fun. It has almost been surreal.

But then, this year happened.

Sadler, who hosts the 2-hour live show “Daily Pop,” and “E! News,” said she was informed that Jason Kennedy, who started the same year as she did and came up doing similar jobs, has for several years been earning double her salary. She said:

That was really hard to swallow, but you know information is supposed to be power and when my team began negotiations knowing what we knew, that was the barometer in which I expected to be paid, based on the law and based on what I know to be fair. And what I believe in my heart of hearts is reasonable.

Her contract with the network was coming to a close and she was notified by the network to begin negotiations. With the new information at her disposal, she hoped she could get the network to compensate her the same as Kennedy.

However, that was not the case. She said:

Not only did [E!] refuse to pay me as much as my male counterpart, but they didn’t come close — nowhere close, not even remotely close.

It’s almost insulting because you know you work really hard. I’m a single mom of two kids. I’ve given my all to this network. I’ve sacrificed time away from my family and I have dedicated my entire career to this network. And when you learn something like that, it makes you feel very small and underappreciated and undervalued.

E!, in a statement, said their employee remuneration is based on roles, and not gender. They said:

E! compensates employees fairly and appropriately based on their roles, regardless of gender. We appreciate Catt Sadler’s many contributions at E! News and wish her all the best following her decision to leave the network.

Catt Sadler said she feels sad leaving, but believes she will land on her feet. She said:

I think I was born to do this. It’s what I do, it’s all I know, so I will definitely miss just the exercise of everyday getting to do this job. But I will land on my feet and I will get to the other side of this, for sure.

Photo Credit: Jason Merritt/Getty Images

1. Mrs chidukane

December 21, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Compensated based on their roles. What does that mean? What else does Jason do? I wish her the best but getting a job like E especially with her decision to go to the media about her reason for leaving the network may not work in her favour. I still wonder why Guiliana left. I still miss her and Terrence.

• tunmi

December 21, 2017 at 3:12 pm

It may not but I’m glad she said it.

• LemmeRant

December 21, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Why did you have to name the guy earning more than you?

Is he the one paying you your salary?

• Abk

December 22, 2017 at 12:57 am

You still wonder why Guliana left?! Huh? I don’t understand your comment. Do you expect her to stay at E! forever? She now lives in Chicago with her husband and son. She’s been at E! for YEARS and was commuting from Chicago which is inconvenient as E! is in LA.
      Regarding Catt, if you or anyone you know is at a corporation and feels slightly cheated maybe by not being appreciated or by being discriminated; you can stay (or advise them to stay) since you feel you (they) “might not get better jobs”.

2. femini shit

December 21, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Before they all come screaming s—, Sadler, you used your hand to destroy yourself.

1. In most organizations now, they dont pay uniformly. It is based on your negotiations with the company. They ask you how much would you like to be paid. If you say 100k and your colleague says 500k, so be it.

2. You cant wake up tomorrow knowing your colleague earns 500k and start screaming gender eish. That was what you negotiated and that is what you are being paid.

3. So because you learnt your colleague earns more than you, (which is not anyone’s fault but yours) you now decided to walk away from a dream job to uncertainties….chai…your village people dey do you o

where u wan start from? which other one do you want to continue with?
    instead of holding this one first till you secure a better one

many youths do this as well. You walk out of your present job when you haven’t secured another…omo wen hunger wire u, your head must correct by force

• Abk

December 22, 2017 at 12:59 am

I’m sure you work at E! so you’re fully aware of their HR policies.

• Malik

December 22, 2017 at 9:25 am

The problem is that your explanations are different from what the company used its own mouth to say. They claim to pay “according to roles”. So the question really is, what is the guy’s role that makes him earn double her pay?

• Omotoyosi

December 22, 2017 at 12:56 pm

I wish i would love your comment more than twice. You have HR criterion. My sentiments exactly. You get what you negotiate for. Business is business.

3. John

December 21, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Women!! always overestimating themselves…You are not as valuable as you think ..if you are that valuable..A network like E will be fighting tooth and nail to keep you.S o Bon Voir..You won’t be missed and something tells me you have already been replaced with another hotter version of dumb blonde. …lol ,at the place she mentioned she is a single mother..so make we fry akara?.

• Ottawa Queen

December 21, 2017 at 3:16 pm

OMG!…are you sure u’re not an alien? Cus you don’t sound human to me!

• Las

December 21, 2017 at 3:19 pm

So, based on your logic, your mother and all your maternal ancestors have/had no value?

• Lilo

December 21, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Dear John,

Kindly eat s—- with your chauvinistic rant and choke on it.

Warm Regards,
      Lilo and friends

• Anonymous

December 21, 2017 at 3:21 pm

John you are so blinded by stupidity and backwardness that you can’t even see the importance of the story. Most of us know that you are a troubled man but showing it this much indicates that you are a menace to society.

• mz_Daniels

December 21, 2017 at 3:30 pm

While your comment was as expected, you did hint at something. It’s possible that E views these women as offering nothing other than their looks and it that case, makes them very replaceable. While looks get you in the door, you need to create a brand that outshines your looks and while we all can’t be Oprah, we need to find that thing.
      I’m also concerned about the timing. She should have calmly gone about her negotiations and if a higher salary wasn’t forthcoming, negotiated other things that helped her brand; changes in her programme, etc. if she got that, the opportunity to build a bigger brand, she’d have worked with it and then left. Sometime in the future, she’d have mentioned this with evidence stating building a bigger brand as her reason for staying when she did (if possible she can get proof of current payment and start a campaign that forces E’s hands).
      To be angry is easy but to be angry at the right time is the task.
      Btw, you don’t go into a negotiation talking about you’re a single mum etc. couch your needs by showing the other party what they’d get. Think win-win

• John

December 21, 2017 at 4:23 pm

I would love to buy you a bottle of champayne .. I actually wrote that part on purpose. …I like people that think logically, everything is not about being sentimental and emotional or screaming like banshees on heat.

• AceOfSpades

December 21, 2017 at 4:41 pm

John I really hope that you say this just for attention because it feels sometype of way. I know many women just can’t wait to type oloriburuku and oloshi and all what not and you enjoy the attention but tone it down because there are real people in this situation and it hurts.

This woman may have gone about it the wrong way with the name calling and trying to subtly justify that she deserves same if not more but she has a point. You’d be angry too if you notice a woman (even a fellow man sef) that you have same role with earns DOUBLE your salary. Not even a little difference that you can try to justify in your head.

• Lyn

December 21, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Interesting…there I was thinking John’s hatred was limited to the Nigerian woman.

Whereas he just hates. Simple.

• Wendy

December 21, 2017 at 9:30 pm

John, please take English remedial classes before you come talk to us! How many times do I have to say this to you?

• Omomo

December 22, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Wooo..mz daniel are you in HR ?? your comment is so professional and relevant to even small me in my organization

• Obinna

December 29, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Does your statement imply that men don’t overestimate themselves? Just wondering. Cause if it does, then you are sexist and patriarchy in Nigeria must be bad too.

4. CrazyWorld

December 21, 2017 at 3:23 pm

I think she is taking this feminism thing too long. Did she not sign that she’s alright with the payment before? If it was another woman, she’d silently start beefing.

My sister owns an outsourcing firm in GA (to stress that this isn’t in naija o) and I have seen some of the data she inputs. Some women in the exact same position as a man earn more than the man but the men don’t get twitter finger syndrome because of this. She should go and sit down abeg.

• Tony

December 21, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Well said. I have learned that u have to negotiate your pay very well. U don’t find out about other people’s pay and go into name calling. It’s outright wrong and many organizations won’t buy that else they open doors for every one to flog in asking for same pay. It’s just painful that everything has to be branded as feminist. Can women please keep soaring high instead of resorting to being cry babies. I have worked with women who earn more than me. I didn’t go digging but in different conversations salary was mentioned & I realised they simply negotiated better than me and same applies to male colleagues.
      All these sentiments only leads to hate, leaving people frustrated simply because they want to be part of a hashtag. I don’t see men fighting over issues the way women do. U have made ur decision so I wish u land on ur feet. I just hope other ladies here will not see this and go resign too cause it’s going to be OYO.

5. bruno

December 21, 2017 at 3:26 pm

girl u need to get urself a new manager. pls this has nothing to do with gender. its all about how ur manager negotiates. if ur manager doesn’t know how to negotiate then u will be paid less.

adam levine (lead singer from maroon 5) was paid 75 thousand dollars on the voice while christina aguilera was paid 250 thousand dollars on the voice. both of them were doing the same work on the show, judging contestants.

6. Dr.N

December 21, 2017 at 3:46 pm

She will not be missed because the guy earning double can do double the work (since they want to be silly).
    I wish she had gone about it differently. When attacking a giant you bring them to your level. Not seeking sympathy

• Ada_ugo

December 21, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Thank you Dr N; I feel like she needs a double shot of wisdom. So she has quit her job with no pay, or she’ll get another paying job that is not her dream job. So how has that helped her??? She should have remained in the network, and fought for reform from there.

7. Ocean Beauty

December 21, 2017 at 3:47 pm

My story right now.
    To think I even have to review the jobs of those who receive higher pay than me (guys). Time to renew contract, you give me 5k NGN increment and tell me it’s attitude before money. The same line they sold to me during thr last contract renewal. I laugh in Swahili. I’m at work before 7am till about 17:30 just to collect additional 5k at the end of the year. It hurts though. And to think when I mention the name of the company outside, people think I’m swimming in money. This time na me and HR go dey look the contract like film.

• LemmeRant

December 21, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Lol. Good luck.

8. Mamamia

December 21, 2017 at 3:54 pm

I don’t understand, don’t they share same roles? I mean Jason Kennedy is no Ryan Seacrest and if I am being honest Catt is on the same level as Gulliana… Maybe it is tied to individual research/ materials provided cause I really don’t get it…

9. Oly

December 21, 2017 at 4:36 pm

This is currently happening to me. I actually don’t know what to do. Should I confront them, should I ask why because it doesnt seem fair. I dont know sha. I have been going over it in my head since I found out. should I confront the board or atleast ask.

• tunmi

December 21, 2017 at 6:31 pm

You will want to be as level headed as possible:
      1. Compile a list of all the projects you have worked on and where you have added value. This is where you brag about what you’ve done: things assigned to you and things you volunteered for. Make it as comprehensive as you can. Speak with whatever allies you have in the office. Tie it into the job requirements the company has for someone in your position. Again, you want to BRAG without emotion and QUANTIFY everything – hours worked, money saved, money earned, whatever you can put in numbers.

2. Conduct market research on what others in your business, at your level of experience, are making. Make it a range (smallest amount – largest amount). If this was outside Nigeria, I would recommend glassdoor for example. If you don’t have anything you can base your research on….reach out to some HR people on Nairaland or even your HR. I’d say anywhere from a 20% increase to a 50% increase (I’m estimating and have no idea, is there anyone in your office or field you can have those discussions with?)

3. Be confident and assertive. Many Nigerians have a way of sounding as though they are begging for oxygen. Try not to do that. State your case as factual as possible. Do not sound like a pity party.

4. Even if it is about gender, even if there is blatant discrimination.: do not bring it up in that meeting. The other side will immediately become combative and defensive. Also, those issues should be brought to HR’s attention not during your bonus negotiations.

5. The goal of this is to be paid your worth in the value you bring to the company. It’s not about fair or nice, it’s about the value you bring to them.

Good luck.

• Engoz

December 21, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Don’t beat up yourself too much. It’s a learning process. Most people are not privy to this negotiating dynamic. The possibility of them increasing your pay is slim. If you want to renegotiate your salary, don’t go and say ehn bisola is being paid this amount so I want it. Schedule a meeting with your supervisor or whoever hired you that you would like a salary increase. And before you call this meeting you will need to have done something impressive or grand that is not part of your job duties. Come armed with facts of what you have accomplished so far. Also, I will advice that you look for another job while you have this current one and negotiate a better salary with the new job because the chances of a company increasing your salary is pretty much slim. Also do your research on what is the pay range for the job.

10. Engoz

December 21, 2017 at 6:23 pm

The negotiation phase is the problem. And it’s a very subjective phase heavily dependent on if the hiring personnel likes what you are saying or not. Liars, dishonest people thrive in such environments. It’s not everybody that can negotiate or like such nasty environments. At least she’s in the entertainment scene and can hire a manager. What about people without professional managers? Many people are being terribly shortchanged because of this and they don’t know it. The system is unfair to these people. If the system can’t change, you will have to build up your negotiating as well as communication skills. You see all those nonsense Nigerian parents told you about ‘modesty’ especially as a female child where you have to downplay your capabilities so as not to appear as proud, it does not work in the workforce. You’d better drop it and be assertive.

• I_I

December 21, 2017 at 6:56 pm

I doubt most companies set out to pay women less, or promote them less, but a number 1 factor in detemining pay is the ‘Old Boys Club’: men are typically more likely to have relationships outside work, and often those club memberships, and bro-bonding in pubs and strip clubs is what makes the powere-that-be award huge pay checks to men they like, cos they think they are like them.
      2nd factor is that men are more likely to negotiate confidently, as opposed to women who often feel the need to underplay their capabilities (read that in an HBR paper a while back).

3rd, Women pay a penalty for child-birth in the sense that they unwittingly sacrifice opportunities for career advancement and great work assignments. Those extended maternity leaves, being unable to work in jobs that require a great deal of travelling and time away from family all take a toll.

• LemmeRant

December 21, 2017 at 8:12 pm

4thAll you women want the men in your lives to earn more than you.
      So as present and future leaders we are tasked in ensuring the society plays to your needs. Thus your boyfriends/hubbys/man friends will earn more than you that way you can stick to your favorite mantra. of: “My money is for me. My hubsands money is for the family.”

• Wendy

December 21, 2017 at 9:28 pm

I took a break from BN and @Lemmerant is still an imbecile… surprise surprise! I guess it’s a medical and not a social problem. Impotent attention seeker.

11. Engoz

December 21, 2017 at 10:17 pm

“… as opposed to women who often feel the need to underplay their capabilities (read that in an HBR paper a while back).”

Absolutely. I read that article as well, lol. It’s this nonsense faux modesty they bring up girls with that is the problem. You don’t want to hurt people’s feelings, meanwhile you are shortchanging your life. Women need to be re-educated.

Also another factor that is driving this gender wage gap is women going for college majors that guarantees low pay. Only about 20% of this gender gap sexism is really based on same role/experience. The 80% is because women choose majors like social science or arts that won’t pay well, lol.

Concerning maternity leave, I honestly think we are overstretching its effect on career especially in the US. About half of women take 5 weeks of maternity leave. That’s like taking one month or more vacation.

12. Lucinda

December 22, 2017 at 9:52 am

Please stop that mumu negotiation talk. It is way too subjective. In some job interviews it’s like walking on eggshells. I have had an unsuccessful interview because I asked for more. Mind you, I didn’t ask for too much.

• Engoz

December 22, 2017 at 11:32 am

Lol, I agree on the subjectivity.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

December 23, 2017 at 10:46 pm

Nne where’ve you been?

And “yes” to subjectivity. Definitely do all your market research (as someone else already mentioned above) on the expected wages within your career demographic….. but at the same time, stay very attuned to the employer’s attitude during negotiations.

Sometimes, they won’t give you money but they’re willing to offer benefits-in-kind (child care contributions, flexible working, greater pension contributions, holiday-buy-backs, etc). Or the role brings valuable experience that you’ll need for the next rung.

Don’t enter with guns blazing re salary negotiations. And the truth is if the company is interested in what you’re selling in your interview, they’ll try and reach a halfway point on (or even cave in to) your expectation, afterwards.