News

Facebook bans Users from posting “Men are scum”

BellaNaija.com

Facebook bans Users from posting "Men are scum" - BellaNaijaFacebook users have discovered that posting “Men are scum” gets them banned from using the platform, deeming it as hate speech.

Comedian Marcia Belsky complained on her Twitter that she was banned for 30 days after posting “Men are scum” as a comment on a friend’s post.

She isn’t the only one. Comedian Kayla Avery revealed that she too was banned for posting something with the phrase “men are garbage files.”

Facebook, speaking to The Daily Beast, said the bans are a result of its moderating guidelines which removes threats and hate speech directed toward a protected group – which includes race, gender, religion, ethnicity and sexual orientation.

Facebook told The Daily Beast that “men are scum” is a threat and should be removed

Photo Credit: @MarciaBelsky

1. Tasmea

December 5, 2017 at 9:18 pm

This is a laudable move by Facebook. Posting men are scum is like posting women are whores, very offensive and unnecessary.

2. Oluchi

December 5, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Absolutely agree with the decision. That statement is discriminatory. If you have a grouse against an individual, address your invective to the specific person, don’t rope in innocent fathers, sons, brothers…my son, brothers, father, uncles are certainly not scum!

3. Weezy

December 5, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Makes sense

4. californiabawlar

December 5, 2017 at 10:30 pm

I listen to Marcia’s podcast with Rae (a Naija comedienne repping) called Misandry. Most of their work is satire and her ‘men are scum’ comment was in the context of a post on how men had threatened the OP. While men may not be scum, they are definitely crybabies. Ladies: imagine a world were being called scum was the worst thing a woman had to endure or have to deal with… wouldn’t that be a wonderful life to live?!
    Newsflash: misandry, much like ‘reverse racism’ are not real concepts. And even if you can somehow conjure them up, they do not bear the same power. It’s total false equivalences and has nothing to do with equality. There’s no way we can break down the current power structures without it ‘feeling like’ women get are getting the upper hand.
    I’ve always been of the opinion that the people that work for these SM platforms make up most of the trolls online. Just look at that google guy.

I know some people will come and slit their wrist under my comment. I recommend that you mix equal parts of blood and tears so that your cry may be heard by amadioha and sango. And if that sounds like a bit of an overkill, I dey my office, come and beat me.

• Tasmea

December 5, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Whether satire or not, there are a lot of people who post men are scum and mean it. It is not about misandry, it is not about comedy or satire. It about offensive comments. You going on about misandry is an unwise justification for why Facebook should not censor such post. How can FB tell who is serious and not or which post is for humor or which isn’t.. People read such posts and internalize their meaning. There are teenagers on FB, young girls, young boys and they read these posts. There is simply not justification for posting such comments. You can post “Joshua, the one I decided to marry/date is a scum.” I bet you 20 to 1 FB won’t censor such. No matter the extent of racial discrimination posting ”whites are fools” is VERY derogatory and offensive whether or not reverse racism exists. People hide under the cloak of the anonymity cyber space affords and think it is okay to make gross and sweeping generalizations. Your justification I bet stylishly done is in poor taste. I am sure you would throw your arms up in the air, guns blazing if somebody says ”Yoruba girls are dirty.” I heard somebody say this and I have never looked at the person the same way. There are a ton of ways to air your grievances without being offensive.

• californiabawlar

December 6, 2017 at 2:00 am

Well done.

I didn’t say this particular comment was satirical. I said MOST of their work is.

Sis, what are you on about? What are young girls doing on a Facebook page detailing over 200 emails of men threatening to rape and kill a feminist? If they are there, can’t they see for themselves? Please save all that protect the children argument for the gods. It’s not werking over here. If anything, biko let them know that the truth on time. Aren’t most men are scum? yes, I said it! Are you guys the proponents of girls not wakaing around men anyhow because that’s how you get raped? Someone commented asking why girls still go to men’s houses and come and cry foul after something bad how gone down. I just smiled and kept scrolling. My answer was that sometimes girls become too trusting/have temporary lapses in judgment, and forget how ‘most’ men have no control over their impulses. This is coming for me, the one who doesn’t believe in victim-blaming.

Women are constantly navigating some form of gender-based drama or fear of being attacked by some dude or another… just ask the girl sitting next to you.
      Case 1: I’m currently dealing with unwanted advances from a co-worker. I have said no, he will not hear word, and he continues to make inappropriate comments about my body. I was so upset yesterday, I went to bed like 3 hours early… lol.
      Case 2: I just asked my friend to have drinks tonight (to vent about the idiot at work), she says she stopped going out at night cos her creepy/unstable neighbor is watching her. She has reported to the police, but there is nothing they can do about it until he actually does something. Na to begin cry after the head is off abi? (p.s. hence my sufficient time to be typing epistles)

Save your money on that 20 to 1 bet because if you specify the guy that’s being scummy, he would report you to Facebook for harassment and libel. And you can actually be charged to court.

Marcia did not hide under the cloak of anonymity online, it was her real facebook page, so I don’t get the anonymous part. I don’t roll that way either, which is why most of my comments on BN are usually light-hearted and on irrelevant celebrity gist. If I have grievances I need to share online, I do it as my personal self on my FB page or in groups I belong to, no need forming online warrior hiding your face, that ishh is for trolls.

I like your choice of example… shade received and dusted, lol. If someone said Yoruba girls are dirty, it’s on them… I’ll think of my filthy roommate (who’s tribe shall remain unnamed) and smile. If you use your position of power and choose not to rent to Yoruba people because you think they are dirty, then you’re fortunate that you live in a country where you can’t be sued. If it’s wrt marriage, then she’s dodging a huge bullet from a tribalistic and probably chauvinistic idiot. So, what?
      Moreso, misogyny and racism run real deep. It’s all about power.
      I’ve run out of steam… good luck reading this fa, even I wouldn’t read a comment this long…. odigba.

5. John

December 6, 2017 at 7:12 am

Retatrded Feminists are going to have a fit on this..I can already hear them screaming like banshess

6. John

December 6, 2017 at 7:12 am

If someone said Yoruba girls are dirty, it’s on them… I’ll think of my filthy roommate (who’s tribe shall remain unnamed) and smile. …….actually I love your comment….Next time , someone says men are scum …I will think of BN ‘californiabawlar’ father , brother ,husband ( if possible) and future sons and smile ?

• Californiabawlar

December 6, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Yes please think about them, because you know them ?? lol olodo somebody. Y’all don’t even know how to give sendible replies or clap backs… this is why 70% of the time, I don’t bother with real discussions on this platform.

Oh by the way… I’m not one of those women who pretend like some of the men in their family aren’t straight traaaash. Or @John: surely you don’t think any sane woman in your family gives two shts about you ??

7. Netizen

December 6, 2017 at 8:18 am

But BN will not ban @john for calling us retards??

• CrazyWorld

December 6, 2017 at 9:13 am

I don’t think its right that John calls women retards. I have women in my life as family, friends and all but does BN censor when all kinds of females come calling men crybabies, scum, idiots, rapists and all.

That’s how Whoopi Goldberg was telling women not to hit a man because you can’t guarantee not being hit back and everyone was digging in at her. Ordinary message! Don’t hit a man and a man shouldn’t hit a woman but they will sit there and say they are feminists. Unserious lots. I’m an Ifa worshipper, hit me and see what will happen. The law can’t kuku prove that I did anything to you when your menstruation dries up or you start foaming like someone with Down Syndrome.

8. northern lights

December 6, 2017 at 9:36 am

@john, u just had to rope in feminists into this…predictable. they probably seem retarded cuz of pple lyk u.