News

Teenage Boko Haram Victims share their stories of being Raped by Soldiers in IDP Camps

BellaNaija.com

Teenage Boko Haram Victims allegedly Raped by Soldiers in IDP Camps - BellaNaijaIt’s a harrowing experience, fleeing a bad situation and believing that you have found safety, only to meet the same ordeal at the hands of your supposed saviors.

But that is the reality of several girls fleeing from Boko Haram, according to a report by Dionney Searcey for the New York Times.

14-year old Falmata, 18-year-old Hadiza, an unnamed 13-year old; they all have the same stories – they fled from capture and sexual assault at the hands of Islamic sect Boko Haram, only to meet the same at the hands of the security forces in charge of the IDP camps.

Falmata was 11 when she was kidnapped by Boko Haram militants.

3 different militants, she was married off to, before she finally got pregnant with the baby dying a few days after he was born.

She escaped one night, 3 years later,  while the entire camp was asleep, and was rescued by soldiers who took her to an IDP camp called Dalori Camp, outside Maiduguri.

The same night she arrived at the camp, she was raped by one of the security officers who called her into his quarters.

Just hours later, resting in her tent after the abuse, another security officer arrived, and he too raped her.

She told New York Times:

The same day I was brought there, soldiers started coming to rape me. They did it one after another. I’m not even sure those two knew about each other.

She spent two months at the camp, she said, before she couldn’t take it anymore.

“I felt it would continue forever,” she said.

Again, she fled, just the way she had escaped the Boko Haram camp, no money, no anything.

She met a man on the road, told him: “Look, I have a problem. These people are going to kill me. They come to me every night.”

With his help, she located her grandmother, and it’s with her she’s been living since.

Hadiza, although in another camp called Teachers Village, had a similar story.

The security officers had a system to select their victims: They’d select a girl to cook their meal, asked that she clean up afterward, then tell her to go bathe in the officers’ quarters while they watched.

Hadiza told New York Times she was called in one day to cook and she thought “Definitely my time has come.”

That night she was raped, she said, and has since then been raped over 20 times.

While the Federal Government has been taking steps to stop sexual assault in IDP camps, deploying female officers, giving security officers more training, arresting people who have been accused, President Muhammadu Buhari calling for an investigation, sexual assault is still prevalent.

Mausi Segun, executive director of the Africa division of Human Rights Watch told New York Times:

Very little progress has been made by Nigerian authorities to implement President Buhari’s promise of justice for the survivors.

The delay reinforces displaced people’s sense of helplessness, and likely emboldens more perpetrators to prey on their vulnerability.

Read the full story on New York Times.

1. Daya

December 9, 2017 at 6:07 am

Oh my goodness this is so wrong!

2. Shap

December 9, 2017 at 7:51 am

Very disheartening!

We are sooooo rotten as a people and so from the deepest most evil parts of our soul stems the leaders in government. Then how do we ever get better.

Rapping little girls as young as 11 who have come to you for safety??? Tufia! I curse you!

I used to think the black race was very compassionate but I have since changed that mind set! We are as psychopathic as they come. Wicked and rotten from deep within! Selling your people into slavery so you and yours can survive. Raping young girls who already don’t see a future. Killing your step children or house help, pouring hot oil on their genitalia. Defrauding an old person of their life savings. Kidnapping and murdering people ALL IN THE NAME OF POVERTY.

You see how black our hearts are, HOW THEN ARE WE EXPECTED TO PRODUCE A GOOD LEADER WITHIN THIS SOCIETY???!!!??

Undoubtedly there are some good Nigerians but the majority???? Enough said.

3. Frida

December 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm

My heart breaks!

From one problem to another. Today it’s Boko Haram, tomorrow slavery in Libya, now even the IDP camps are not even safe? Heck, the streets in Nigeria are not safe.

It seems Nigeria is cursed for real. Too much suffering and sorrow in one country.

God help us.

4. Sharon

December 9, 2017 at 2:34 pm

This is disturbing. I hope these rapists are arrested and put behind bars. May God punish them. My hearts truly breaks for the victims.

5. Nefertiti

December 9, 2017 at 5:10 pm

There’s something inherently evil, twisted and perverted about us. These men are US. They’re SARS, law makers, CEO, madams and ogas at home, etc. They are our neighbours, bosses, friends, acquaintances, colleagues etc. The only difference between these men and boko haram is that they are on the side of government. Take away their uniforms and they’re as good as the men they should be protecting others from.

6. Deedee

December 10, 2017 at 6:40 am

Happens everywhere there is war and its very very unfortunate women are always the victims. Remember those French soldiers that were abusing kids? I’m tired of being a woman, I’m tired of being a woman on other women’s behalf. I don’t know who we offended.