Music

“They need to step up because I think they would be welcome” – Grammy President Neil Portnow on lack of more Female Winners

BellaNaija.com

Women need to "step up" if they want to win - Grammy President Neil Portnow - BellaNaija

NEW YORK, NY – JANUARY 28: The Recording Academy and MusiCares President/CEO Neil Portnow speaks onstage during the 60th Annual GRAMMY Awards at Madison Square Garden on January 28, 2018 in New York City. (Photo by Michael Kovac/Getty Images for NARAS)

The Recording Academy president Neil Portnow has said women need to “step up” if they wish to win Grammy Awards.

Alessia Cara, who took home the Best New Artist award, was the only woman to win an award during the main telecast.

Portnow, speaking to Variety, referencing the lack of more female winners, said women who want to be a part of the industry need to step up. He said:

It has to begin with women who have the creativity in their hearts and souls, who want to be musicians, who want to be engineers, producers, and want to be part of the industry on the executive level.

[They need] to step up because I think they would be welcome. I don’t have personal experience of those kinds of brick walls that you face but I think it’s upon us — us as an industry — to make the welcome mat very obvious, breeding opportunities for all people who want to be creative and paying it forward and creating that next generation of artists.

Photo Credit: Michael Kovac/Getty Images for NARAS

1. Red

January 29, 2018 at 9:48 pm

BN, Rihanna also won an award for Best Rap/Sung with Kendrick Lamar for Loyalty.

2. Poesy

January 29, 2018 at 10:02 pm

Talk about tone deaf.

3. Ene

January 29, 2018 at 10:35 pm

But it hasn’t always been the case. Last year Adele and Beyonce did great. So I hope its a one off thing.
    Bringing it home, At the last headies, we had only one female winner (simi for best female )
    At the last sound city MVPs one female winner(Tiwa Savage).
    It wasn’t always the case as Omawumi and ASA have won the Next rated awards(unisex category) ,wake (best raggae ,unisex category) Yemi Alade( revelation of the year) etc amongst others.

So, Are we seeing a trend here? Or we wait for more award shows to conclude?

• bruno

January 29, 2018 at 11:36 pm

we are taking about grammy awards and u are talking about headies and sound city awards

we are talking about musicians and u are mentioning tiwa savage and yemi alade. are these ones musicians.

• Onyx Godwin

January 30, 2018 at 12:01 am

No oo, they’re not musicians, they’re mechanics

4. Me

January 29, 2018 at 11:02 pm

Me thinks, they are passing a message across. I know most men are secretly not happy with all these metoo shenanigans going on.

5. bruno

January 29, 2018 at 11:40 pm

female musicians have been dominating the grammys since 2010. adele (won album of the year twice), beyonce, rihanna, lady gaga, taylor swift (won album of the year twice), lorde,

male musicians dominated the music industry in 2017 and thats why male musicians dominated this year’s grammys.

I love bruno mars but he shouldn’t have won all those awards he won last night particular album of the year. lorde (melodrama) or kendrick lamar (DAMN) should have won album of the year.

even ed sheeran shouldn’t have won best pop vocal performance for shape of you, kesha (praying) or pink (what about us) should have won.

January 30, 2018 at 6:29 am

Bruno if only your opinion ever mattered…..but alas it doesn’t and never will….

• Wifematerial

January 30, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Bruno trust you known nothing about music………………hate filled boy/girl

• Ruth

January 31, 2018 at 7:13 am

Yes I share the same sentiments with you that Kesha’s song “Praying” should have won that award. I’m not just saying that because she is a woman like me with a vagina and Ed doesn’t have one?, No I’m saying it because I’ve watched her live performances of that song and it was just too powerful for me to even properly articulate. Moreover, in my opinion, I felt the song was really an anthem for most people than Shape of You was!??‍♀️

6. zzzzzzzzzzz

January 30, 2018 at 11:01 am

I think abroad men put more effort in their music than women do. Please hear me out before you come for me. A song like Anaconda would have many views not because the music is catchy but because of the nudity in it. Now men do not have really have much to flaunt so much more goes into the creativity of their style, unlike some female folk who believe one most be half cloth before their music can sell