Music

Seal reportedly under Investigation for Sexual Battery & Assault

BellaNaija.com

Seal reportedly under investigation for Sexual Battery & Assault

British singer/songwriter Olusegun Adeola Samuel popularly known as Seal in being investigated on charges of sexual battery and assault, according to a new report by TMZ.

Seal’s former neighbor in his LA home, actress Tracey Birdsall told TMZ that the singer came on to her in the fall of 2016 when she went over to retrieve a salad spinner.

She claims the singer lunged at her when she was at his place and when she asked what he was trying to do, he replied “I’m kissing you”. He then began to belittle her outfit (a tank top and shorts) before trying to grope her.

This is coming barely a week after Seal’s comments on Oprah where he encouraged women to come forth with their stories of sexual harassment.

The singer has however denied her claims. His representative told Rolling Stone;

Seal vehemently denies the recent accusations made against him by a former neighbor for alleged misconduct of more than a year ago. He intends to vigorously defend himself against these false allegations.

According to TMZ, the L.A County Sheriff Department has however taken a report for sexual battery and will continue to investigate.

1. Ottawa Queen

January 16, 2018 at 11:53 pm

Here we go. . .

• Biker Chic

January 17, 2018 at 1:26 pm

This is actually overdue. Not sure about the sexual harrasement thing, but there have been whispers that this dude has a tendency to be violent with his women. Dude is shady as F**k. He tried it. Let him clean up his mess.

2. Californiabawlar

January 17, 2018 at 12:29 am

Hahahaha!! Lmaoo!! I hollered so loud when I saw this ??? this has got to be the most hilarious headline I’ve seen in many years ?? phew! ? it doesn’t even have to be true… it just makes Oprah truly seem like THE untouchable witch ?
    Seal! Seal! Seal! Glass. House. Stones. Won ti finally get’ie.

3. Ada_ugo

January 17, 2018 at 12:38 am

smh… women sabotaging women’s causes since 1793.
    this whole tirade is turning into a joke, and I just pray the real victims don’t have their voices disappear amidst all the unnecessary noise of the others.

4. Lilo

January 17, 2018 at 1:00 am

My people will say that when the tree-chopping insect ploughs down a tree, the only mode of transportating the shrubs and trunks is the insects’ head. Meanwhile whoever is doing back to sender juju for Oprah needs to DM me his/her digits. This is some serious guided missiles backfire by fire shiggidy!

5. Temi Tope

January 17, 2018 at 3:09 am

Here we go again!!! next it will be my grandaddy or my next door neighbor in Saddle brook

6. John

January 17, 2018 at 3:35 am

I actually have a feeling this will happen ..liberals are going after him for that oprah comment…all of a sudden , he now abuses women…that is a classic APC move with their Efcc and kwaroption..at the end of the day oprah will never smell that white house but for now let me continue to enjoy the joke.

7. John

January 17, 2018 at 3:54 am

There’s this workplace female friend….we’ve been just friends, no plans to be anything else….for twelve years now. I’d always compliment her looks at work. Since this thing about “harassment” germinated, I’d ceased saying any such things to her. Early this week, she told me I hadn’t even noticed she cut her hair. I did notice, to be honest, but I need this damned job. Can’t risk having someone go to HR to complain I had done something I really didn’t do. The lines have blurred so much, man. I’m married and I don’t play. But i’m so concerned for the unattached young males out there, as I’d be careful indulging in what was before considered ‘flirting’ or making ‘passes’ at girls. Now over to you, ladies: what are the new ‘rules of engagement’?

• Loki

January 17, 2018 at 6:51 am

@John (the 2nd), yes, things seem to be going from 0 -100 in 60 seconds but as long as you’re a decent human being I think you’ll be fine.
      “Hey, you cut your hair, it looks nice” (said in a normal tone of voice with a neutral facial expression)= compliment
      “Yowza! your new hair cut is giving me wild, wild, wild thoughts” (said while jiggling your eyebrows, licking your lips and undressing her with your eyes)= creepo who needs to have a chat with HR on sexual harassment.
      Guy colleague at the office said to me the other day “damn your ass is something else”. And was actually confused at why i took exception to as it was a “compliment”. There is no circumstance under which you should say that to any woman who isn’t your wife or you don’t at least have that sort of relationship with.
      Hope I’ve been able to convince you and not confuse you that Teachers are better than doctors. Thank you.

• Neil

January 17, 2018 at 9:36 am

I worked at MeCure sometime back and there was this lady working there also. One day, I had to do something in the waiting room for like 2hours and i noticed how she was the one in charge of coordinating all the people in the waiting room which was almost filled with old people. You know how old people can be, always wanting attention. The lady was calm while attending to them but the pressure and stress was written all over her and one woman had to even call her out and tell her she’s rude and ugly and the poor lady couldn’t even talk back. There was a time I could have sworn I saw her face change like she was about to cry!

I wanted to go and meet her and tell her she’s beautiful and she’s doing a great job but I remember all this accusation going on. She could take it wrong and kuku direct all the stress on me. Let me stay in my lane. I also have my house rent to worry about plus my ticket money is not complete and nobody is giving moral support so….

• LemmeRant

January 17, 2018 at 10:10 am

@Loki

That’s just a load of bull.

“Yowza! your new hair cut is giving me wild, wild, wild thoughts”
      All what you mentioned has no basis. If the above statement was said by a guy to a girl who she is crushing on, it would be taken as him being bold and has swagger and it would fly.

But if the girl doesn’t like the guy it is sexual harassment.

And as per your experience, it all depends on the girl. What you took as harassment might be seen as okay by another girl.

So like I said bull

• Adunnie

January 17, 2018 at 11:05 am

Hi lemmerant, what Loki said is not a load of bull. I have decent male colleagues who give me compliments and I can tell that they are genuine and not undressing me in their mind and I accept the compliments and give one back. However there’s this particular guy at work, who is a senior colleague and I started to develop a sort of crush on him. I started noticing he has no sense of boundary whatsoever. He’s always extremely touchy and looking at me in a seductive way. After the close of work one day he was asking me to come over to his place, I made it clear I would not do that and then as we were both going down the stairs he had the audacity to lift my top up to get a peek of what’s beneath.. Reflex action kicked in and I slapped him hard on his back. I found it really offensive but he just took it as a joke… It’s quite irritating and disturbing. I had to create a serious form of distance between the two of us. Dude started asking why I changed. Going by your theory of it’s only called sexual harassment when the girl doesn’t like the guy, I shouldn’t feel offended. But truth is attitude like this is uncomfortable for a lot of ladies even certain guys too. I understand some people may not mind such attention but some of us hate it. Especially those of us who went through sexual abuse as children. Sexual harassment is sexual harassment don’t down play it with a theory of it’s only when the perpetrator is not liked the accuser starts crying wolf.

• Loki

January 17, 2018 at 11:36 am

@Lemmerant- I’ll draw your attention to this part of my comment
      “There is no circumstance under which you should say that to any woman who isn’t your wife or you don’t at least have that sort of relationship with”
      CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING. After all there is a difference between your friend saying “You are mad” and when an enemy says it. People have a right to have different relationships with different people. I learned that the hard way in JSS1 when one senior sent me to her friend to say she was stupid. I knelt down till my knees almost entered my waist.
      Also, the fact that someone tolerates something; doesn’t mean everybody has to and does not invalidate those that don’t like it.
      So call it a load of bull if you will; I take no offence at that. Someone else will apply the necessary critical thinking to what I’ve just said and use it to avoid a load of problems. But you do you.

• Engoz

January 17, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Apparently, men’s lack of quality home training is being revealed. If you don’t know the difference between a compliment versus a sexually charged statement, it’s simple, keep quiet.
      I don’t know of any Nigerian woman who doesn’t have a story to tell about being in an awkward situation with a man or just plainly harassed. The advice our parents and society gave us was to avoid such situations. Obviously it was ok for guys to harass you on the streets, after all boys will be boys but not ok to fall for their harassment. I’ll give you the same advice they gave us- avoid women at all cost. And I’ll judge you the same way you are typically privy to judge women who are victims of such harassment if you are being accused of rape, assault or harassment. Lmao!
      I lived my teenage years looking over my shoulder and I survived, about time the ‘unattached’ young males as well as married men looked over their shoulders as well.

8. Miss Mo

January 17, 2018 at 4:08 am

@John

You are can make comments/give compliments without being inappropriate or disrespectful, something plenty of men need lessons on.

But with recent events it is wise as a man to just face your front in public. Stick to complimenting your spouse/significant other. Kapish.

• Jgirl

January 17, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Exactly @john keep to complimenting me….. I don’t mind you complimenting other women though I compliment guys at my workplace all the time…..the point is things have gotten weird…kisses

• Cocoa

January 17, 2018 at 3:26 pm

ASSSINNN!!! Seriously!! If in doubt…just face your front and mind your business.
      I personally do not want or need any man that is not my husband complimenting my physical attributes. JUST NO.

Contrary to popular belief not every woman is seeking validation oo!!! Some of us are confident in being created by God and are SATISFIED with just that knowledge.

SELF CONTROL is a fruit of the Spirit.

• Chief

January 17, 2018 at 4:18 pm

@Engoz…

Here we go again..You constantly victimizes women in all your comments. I know You must use this opportunity to promote your man hating propaganda and also show everyone how men are rapists.Any negative said about men are promptly used as a platform by women like you to tell everyone how evil monsters men are.Rape is a crime but trying to seduce someone with higher testosterone persistently or clumsily is what?The truth still remains: men are under attack by feminists like you,our gender and masculinity are being attacked in some sort of feminist led “witch hunt”.

We men are now questioning our interactions with women because we are afraid of being accused of sexual harassment.With the current climate,men are afraid to flatter a woman,gently flattery has become something of a lost art.,men don’t want to be caught glancing at a woman smh!!,Even at work men are failing to compliment female friends/colleagues for fear of causing offence.It is a brave man who pays a woman a compliment in 2018 smh!!.You women have killed flattery the same way you killed chivalry.Men are becoming careful of how they speak and act with opposite sex in the workplace ,on the streets and in public especially in these politically correct times..In big companies,some senior men have been switching to an open door policy when it comes meeting with junior coworkers of the opposite sex,there are reports of male investors declining one on one meeting with women,some are even rescheduling their meetings from restaurants to conference rooms.All thanks to women like you…

• Engoz

January 17, 2018 at 5:12 pm

@Cocoa

Absolutely! I certainly do not seek validation from any man. Who freaking needs their compliments sef unless you’re suffering from serious self esteem issues. I was brought up to stay away from men, not only because of their rape tendencies but also because their faux compliments can turn into something else at the bat of an eyelid. If something happens now it’s that same nasty mouth they’ll use to say ‘but you were enjoying the compliments’ or you were not firm. I pity you girls that wanna fall for this nonsense. Na ya type them dey practice their modus operandi on. Continue playing with this unrepentant niggas in a country that has abysmal protections for women.

See me see trouble o, all of a sudden people don’t know how to act around the opposite sex. When you say they have questionable backgrounds and lack good home training, they’ll start crying on the Internet.

• californiabawlar

January 17, 2018 at 7:18 pm

As a woman who works in a male-dominated field and has male subordinates and students, I don’t understand how men find it difficult to keep their hands and ‘compliments’ to themselves.
      Case in point, last year I had a student-athlete that wore cool school spirit gear that were named-brands. I really liked the shirts and wanted to know where he was getting them. I ran the conversation in my head for a quick second and thought it sounded a little too personal; you know, as if I must have been spending time checking him out to notice the clothes. Guess what I did? Nothing. Guess who I complained to? Nobody. Guess what? I am alive, well, and have my job!
      Dear men, being appropriate and having to take a second to think and make sure people are not uncomfortable around you DOES NOT MAKE YOU A VICTIM. Say this to yourself in the mirror over and over again until you start to believe it.

• Engoz

January 17, 2018 at 11:34 pm

@Chief
      If men are not potential rapists why did our parents warn us to stay away from them? You that are ranting like a parrot, will you let your daughter go to a man’s house? Why do you think that is? Is it because men are angels or potential rapists?

Women have survived the world knowing men can rape them. We purposely avoided such situations. You all will be fine with keeping your faux compliments to yourself.

9. Ej

January 17, 2018 at 7:23 am

Oyibos trying to bring down a black man

10. AceOfSpades

January 17, 2018 at 9:12 am

Aje ke lana, omo ku leni. This is the perfect example!

11. yeyeperry

January 17, 2018 at 9:13 am

Monkey wey say im mama no sleep….

12. Question

January 17, 2018 at 9:26 am

@John
    Seems u’ve stolen d shine from Seal, jus bcos of compliment oooh.

But I’m sure U know not to listen to these ‘voices’ telling u how to compliment a woman. Stick to no compliments ooooh, cos even if u read out what they advise and stuff hit d fan, these same voices will say oooh u must have shown ur upper lip when u said it or hey ur mustache crept up tooo much when u said it, or u should hv said after shaving or something other fantastic narrative.

Best we leave these pple alone oh! Now it is clear, the voice of the true victims cant sound louder than these recent wave of madness.

Wishing all true victims well, and hope all predators rot behind bars.

13. Samba

January 17, 2018 at 9:41 am

Women will literally use their hands, and mouth to destroy this world!

• Engoz

January 17, 2018 at 1:25 pm

So when men were raping and harassing women the world did not destroy?

14. Bolaji

January 17, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Can we please leave the ‘Olusegun Adeola’ out of this? The man has been calling himself Seal in good times. In bad times, let him be Seal!!!!!! In other news, Oprah’s karma is lit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Jenna

January 17, 2018 at 2:17 pm

My advise to hetero men is that the moment you take a woman and your intention is sexual intercourse, the moment she shows the slightest bit of resistance and I mean both verbal and non verbal cues tell her to get out. I mean tell her to leave your house right away and if you are in her house then get out. Why? If she stays, you would be tempted to put pressure on her and then you would get that whole Aziz situation going on. Do not care what she would say if you ask her to leave. It’s better to be called mean and creepy than rapist. As for compliment, I don’t give anybody compliments at work and I don’t expect compliments back. Honestly if that person is not your friend outside of work then keep your compliments to yourself. As for women, well I would advise that you state your plans clearly. Say things like “I don’t want to have sex with you after this date and if you touch me it would be the end of you”. This way no man can come and say i thought she wanted it as she never said anything. I also urge men to start speaking up against sexual harassment by women. It’s more common than most think. Or even better still instead of coming to complain on social media people should start using the court system.

16. Jgirl

January 17, 2018 at 2:52 pm

Oh and @John sir, if you aren’t my hubby apologies sounds exactly like what he would say lool so I’m believing that perhaps your wife would say something along the lines of what I said…..things arebnot even the same way they were in 2012…..the world is moving that fast

17. frollo

January 17, 2018 at 5:28 pm

That’s how I came to work in a loose, non transparent dress, so loose both muslimas and deeper life ladies will envy it,. One male colleague was saying happy new year with his eyes fixed on my cleavage area and as I turned around to leave, repeated, I said happy new year to my bum area. pschew.

Rule of thumb to all men and some women sef, please leave that girl lady woman the heck alone. If you are sharing office space with a lady that looks and dress like Cossy orjiakor ncki minaj or that Roman goddess, JUST RESPECT YOURSELF, REMEMBER YOUR REPUTATION YOUR DARLING LONG SUFFERING WIFE AND FAMILY, YOUR JOB and keep to your office duties and normal/formal conversation

Stop unwanted comments like wow, your legs are long and smooth, your hair is bouncy (proceeds to touch legs and hair) if you are fascinated about her race and her features, google it!!

or

sis ya’skin is glowing, did you use foundation, (then go on to touch said skin). lovely natural skin, can lick icecream from that skin (how dare you!)

or

the popular, ‘you must be wearing bum pads cus this ass cant be real, and then the man grab a hold of the bum, saying they were just checking authenticity of the bum. teasing You can balance a minivan on that butt.If the lady grabs your penis in public and compares it to her cigarette. will you find that funny????

or the useless,statements ‘your cleavage is on point’ then proceeds to grab said cleavage. or comments like; this cleavage is finding husband this 2018′
    or
    Jezebel! you want to tempt poor men in the office *like the men are helpless pamper wearing babies* and worse, after all the unwarranted insults proceeds to adjust cleavage

the most annoying is Mr Nice Guy, in trying to be helpful, (unwanted help) in adjusting outifts, starts touching her body., he wont do so for his fellow man or allow his fellow man rub up on him in the name of adjusting outfits, so why being all nicey for an adult who woke up and dressed herself up. Does she really need your help? Did she ask you to help her? (hiss)

Even if a woman walks in naked and takes her seat (lets face it, as a man, in your mind you have pictured her stark naked) keep your comments and thoughts and actions to yourself. infact keep Vaseline or whatever lube of choice nearby to help yourself, if you cant control yourself. go and wank ur life away,. Its far better to wank than verbally harass, physically intimidate, sexually assault and rape someone else and loose your entire livelihood (even your life in some instances) because of lack of control. You dont know when it will be a set up. Naked woman is on her seat, sit on your own seat quietly,

To all those male dogs who enjoy stripping women naked and parading them or using ur phone to video it all, just on SUSPICION of theft or any ALLEGED act. Justice may be delayed but wont be denied. Your day of reckoning is near.

As you can see, some of the victims speaking out , were suffering in silence, some for as long as two or three decades. When the predator (eg Harvey Weinstein et al was committing those acts he had no idea he had a brand, a reputation, a family, businesses, several income streams, investors and held a very high religious position ba? He thought he got away with it, only for it to show up and bite him where he hurts, so it will be to all rapists and molesters

p.s: Ladies as in adults not teens who are into you will express themselves verbally ‘I love you, i want you’ and other x rated comments..cus trust me ‘millenials’ are not shy… and if you love her, tell her, Ask if you can touch her, she may even ask if she can touch you…yall can go on from there. But the instant one of you says stop, no! abeg stop and gooooo.

18. Papacy

January 17, 2018 at 11:46 pm

That was how this chick said no after she had undressed on her own and we engaged in foreplay etc. Just before the final home run she says “no”. I was weak. If you insist, you will see your name on instagram one day as a rapist. Worst blue balls of my life! The next time we met I said no and stood by it, she called me petty and a few other choice words.
    It’s the world we live in now. We all have to stay woke as men.

19. Nawah!!!

January 18, 2018 at 3:51 am

Your a– is coming out and your skin is smooth (while trying to touch) does not qualify as compliment for everyone going that lane. Betty Irabor was so impressed about a compliment that she made an IG post about it. Omotola and Mercy Aigbe also made a post about compliments they got from male folks recently. Even Mercy Johnson talked about complimenting a female! Just so you know, men compliment men all the effing time!

When did we become this way. In your workplace, compliments will make the environment more easier to work in. I saw a video of Mark Zuckerberg complimenting a girl whose laptop pouch matched her sweater! This is normal stuff, why do women have to make it hard? That’s why you fight yourselves because you hardly acknowledge each other’s taste in whatever and now you are extending the fight to male folks.

I used to tell a girl at work ‘you look take home to mama’ now you people have ruined those sweet moment and how her smile will make me smile when I say it.

• Cocoa

January 18, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Listen…it’s great that you enjoy complimenting people.,,.there are many things to compliment someone on that does not include THEIR BODY/PHYSICAL APPEARANCE.

Like the example you gave ..Mark complimented her SWEATER matching her LAPTOP POUCH….not the fullness of her breast in the sweater.

” You look take home to mama” is not a compliment I PERSONALLY would want from a man I am not in courtship with.

No ones compliment ADDS anything significant to my life…nor do INSULTS take anything significant from me.

Flattery is not a fruit of the Spirit.

20. Curious

January 18, 2018 at 5:38 am

I guess harassment is not only about what you did. It’s really about how the other person received it.
    @John, play it safe… lady A may receive your comments well… no shaking. Lady B may think you’re paying too much attention to her appearance either because you’re gay or you’re into her. Lady C may think its her sign/opportunity to get with you if she’s into you. That said, keep your hands to yourself. Definitely no gropping, no eyeing, no weirdness, etc… avoid stories that touch

21. KEMI