Scoop

Wakanda Forever! ‘Black Panther’ has crossed the $1 Billion Box Office Mark

BellaNaija.com

After only a few weeks, Black Panther has reached a major milestone at the worldwide box office – it has crossed the $1 billion mark.

The movie is now the 33rd film to ever cross the billion dollar mark and it’s the 16th Disney film to reach the milestone.

Only four other Marvel movies have grossed over a billion dollars – The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3, and Captain America: Civil War.

1. Purplieciousbabe

March 10, 2018 at 11:54 pm

I am glad. It was worth it.

2. Ottawa queen

March 11, 2018 at 12:32 am

And I’m still yet to see it. . .smh!

• Mama

March 11, 2018 at 2:04 am

You and me both. Worse is, I don’t even plan to. Watched the trailer and it just doesn’t seem like something I would enjoy.

• Random

March 11, 2018 at 3:52 am

@ Mama….Ms rain on the parade. Wallow in your ignorance…people like you will miss out on potentially amazing things in life by that pitiful attitude of striking things off without even having first hand experience…shame. Black Panther will surely not miss you…..most especially 1 billion dollars later lol!

I’m very happy for these actors of color for their success. Blacks have worked so hard in Hollywood to shatter glass ceilings and I’m happy that they’re breaking grounds. Wakanda forever!

• Mama

March 11, 2018 at 4:34 am

@Random…Huh? Are you okay? I’m truly confused here. Do we by any chance know each other? What the heck are you ranting about?…This is really funny. Mr or Madam, if you mad about something else, just say so! Surely, it is not my comment about not having watched black panther or that the trailer did not pique my interest that has brought out such vitriol from you. Geez! #fanaticmuch

• Nakoms

March 11, 2018 at 7:20 am

@mama. Don’t bother. I have seen it and it’s an average movie.

But I also appreciate the feel good factor of having an all black cast. In that aspect its a first and will do a lot for black movie industry.

• Par

March 11, 2018 at 1:34 pm

@Nakoms Its a Mavel movel owned by whites. Yes all black actors but company owned predominantly by whites. They sure do know how to put pacifier in Black peeps mouth and make their money.?

• Kina

March 11, 2018 at 5:49 pm

@random what exactly is your point?

• jokobaba

March 11, 2018 at 5:58 pm

@Mama, ignore people like random. The only reason why I will not watch the movie is because everyone is watching it. My money, my time and my eyes. I am not one to go with the crowd. And if anyone wants to engage in name calling, just know you are referring to your father and not me. I didnt come here to play.

• jokobaba

March 11, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Random, is it your eyes? wetin concern agbero with overload? abeg shift.

3. bashebony

March 11, 2018 at 9:39 am

what is this mr abi mrs Random saying? as in i don’t understand the relationship between her comments (mama’s) and yours! Must she like a movie because every other person likes it? whatever happens to different stripes for different folks or whatever! I’m on the same ship with you @Mama, I’ve not watched it and i won’t stress myself about it… will watch it when it’s accessible to me… Some people can be funny and aggressively aggressive towards others opinions!

4. Kina

March 11, 2018 at 5:52 pm

watched it twice. i just love super hero movies plus the extra Blakness dat just made it special. If you are not into super hero fantasy DONT SEE IT. There is noting as annoying as sitting in a theatre with people who don’t get it.

5. jokobaba

March 11, 2018 at 5:59 pm

The only reason I will not watch the movie is because everyone else seem to be watching it and I am not one to go with the crowd. No be me get my eyes?

• Kina

March 11, 2018 at 8:40 pm

So you are basically swayed by the crowd. Same difference @jokobaba, yeah its best you give this movie a pass, you definitely wont get it..

• jokobaba

March 11, 2018 at 9:29 pm

@Kina, how is it your business? If you want to go low I am willing to go lower.

• BlueEyed

March 12, 2018 at 12:56 am

@kina 5 cold bottles of Heineken for you! For this jokobaba individual with this embarrassment of a comment and the other individuals up there I will refer you to @califoniabawler’s comment….go and read it and have sense.

6. jokobaba

March 11, 2018 at 9:30 pm

@Kina, olodo

7. Californiabawlar

March 11, 2018 at 10:51 pm

Some things or opinions are popular because they are proven or just that great.
    Yes, you should always CRITCALLY evaluate, but being willfully contrarian doesn’t make you intelligent.
    Different doesn’t mean smart.
    There’re a lot of idiots (for the lack of a better word) out there who would decide to go the other way just cos everyone agrees on one perspective. Well if you’re one of such, stop it, cos you only just shot yourself in the foot, now you’re an outstanding idiot. Everyone knows.

8. Kina

March 11, 2018 at 11:23 pm

@jokobala thank you bright spark X.. its amazing how you were able to contradict yourself in just one sentence and you continue to speak without knowledge of your contradiction looool. you simply do not suffer common sense, There are no lower levels than that on which you stand.

9. Mama

March 12, 2018 at 2:10 am

Listen, if my views and opinions rubs you the wrong way, guess what? You’re just going to have to get used to it cos it isn’t going to change. So, you can make all the snide remarks you want, I will continue to speak my truth as I see it just like you’re free to speak yours. I aint joining your liberal bandwagon and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it. You don’t like it, close your eyes and waka pass!

10. Chinasa

March 12, 2018 at 9:15 am

With all the money your father spend sending you to school you cannot make a simple point without shooting yourself in the foot. All you have succeeded in saying is that the crowd has a great influence on your decision making process at the same time you are saying you don’t follow the crowd. Which monkey level you dey. Abeg sit down yeyefowl. I didn’t watch the movie because I prefer movies based on historical events simple. I wouldn’t pay to watch it in the theatre or even watch a pirated copy of it.

11. frollo

March 12, 2018 at 10:48 pm

EDITED:

I see all sides

I initially didn’t trust the hype of the movie as the hype of Noah and Exodus gods and king left me disappointed. But my twin who has been abroad since puberty loved it. My twin wants it taught in schools! Says it brings pride to being African. says years of trying to integrate and fit in and having a moment of ah same color as me,, little things like having to join everone else for sushi or rare steak for lunch break instead of packing ‘smelly’ ofada or banga or shito.without being seen as alien.
    Says little migrant kids bullied for their black hue and accents now have more confidence. its a black pride thing
    The movie is not really for us in black Africa, but it means a lot to Diasporas.

As for genre, its not for everyone,, Same way I didn’t care for Matrix or the English patient yet people raved and raved about them, they packed awards like kilode.
    truth be told I watched black panther , in part because Avengers captured my interest enough to follow some the lives of individual avengers, and in part because of the HYPE-xaggeration of my twin..so live and let live

As for where money goes, most minority struggles have a step up that ladder in part bcos majority part with resources to let them (minorities) be. Blacks will still be treated as cartel had some whites not added their voice to the freedom of slaves rhetoric (yes it was more of a war tactic than love of black ppl, but that’s another story). Women will still have no rights had some men not decided to recognize and fight with them. Meditate on that..Shey Obama becoming president was initially celebrated as a win for the black race, well guess what Americans of plenty races voted him in.
    I meanEven Django was created and supported by the popular Quentin Tarantino, A NON BLACK.So pack the whole white owned Marvel excuse to not watch a good sci fi movie.
    The important thing is that a 31yr old fresh newbie was trusted with hundred millions of dollars to create content and made a billion maybe more. He made it from people of all races loving his content enough to see it thrice.

I am happy for danaii from the walking dead. Lupita not depicted as a slave. Chadwick and the rest.
    As I am happy for Viola and felt bad at her statement that she had the same training and exposure llike national treasures like meryl streep or julianne moore did but not the same opportunities so Viola is STILL regarded as a upcoming or newbie.

The BRITISH celebrate their own, even if she/he acted the role of a housecleaner, or as we naijas say waka pass role so far they are british in a long running American popular successful series she/he is celebrated she/he may be even knighted. Look at the Brit in popular comedy series FRASIER, Andrew of THE WALKING DEAD and many many others
    INDIANS celebrate their own. I was in India and all the noise was about an Indian actress who played a role that required her to be naked, mutilated and raped and yes she was celebrated unlike naija that will call her ashewo for acting a role o!

BLACK AFRICANS UNITING FOR ONCE AND CELEBRATING THEIR OWN???…It will be well.

As for the edge lord and ladies, the hipster and contrarians who disagree just to be seen as ‘edgy’, like the poor, they will always be with us.

why will I deny myself of an experience?