Scoop

Daddy Freeze writes Open Letter to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BellaNaija.com

Daddy Freeze writes an Open Letter to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | BellaNaija

OAP Daddy Freeze has contributed to the trending topic involving Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieHillary Clinton, and the word “wife.”

Chimamanda had asked Clinton if it was her choice to identify herself first as a wife on her Twitter bio, and why.

The internet has since debated the question, most people criticising the writer.

Daddy Freeze, on his Instagram, has added his quota. Read his open letter below:

Dear Chimamanda, I used to be a huge fan until I read your interview with Hillary Clinton.

Now I’m somewhere in the vesica pisces, torn between the enormous respect I had for the quality of your work and anger for what you are beginning to brandish.

Let me set the record straight, I am not a fan of Hillary Clinton, so I’m not jumping in as her guardian angel. As a matter of fact, I completely disagree with most of the decisions she took while in office.

Besides this however, woman to woman, what Hillary has achieved, in my opinion, you NEVER CAN, ‘no be beans’, so you suggesting how she should be addressed is what we Yorubas call ‘Iwosi’.

Even Obama refers to himself as a dad first, husband second, so what’s your point exactly? Why can’t Hillary be addressed as wife first, if she so chooses?

Could your utterances be stemming from inadequacies you need to attend to? You might consider investigating this.

Now, let me warn you, there are no dividing forces greater than color, race, gender and tribe. These factors continue to ensure humanity remains segregated. This table you are shaking has vast consequences even you didn’t bargain for.

People have been over the last two years, urging me to preach about Jesus being black and I never have, do you know why? Because I DONT CARE ABOUT HIS COLOR, it’s irrelevant, I care about HIS MESSAGE!

In the same vein, I follow you simple because of your message, NOT BECAUSE OF YOUR GENDER OR COLOR OR TRIBE. So kindly keep the focus on the message, which in my opinion is excellent.

Don’t mar it by demarcating yourself into a ‘gender’, unless of course you are employing this as a marketing tool, which, please be warned, has its own repercussions! ~FRZ

#FreeTheSheeple

1. BlueEyed

April 24, 2018 at 2:59 pm

This old man just spewed a whole lotta nonsense and didn’t even make no sense at all.
    I particularly didn’t see to CNA’s interview with Hilary but this guy just sounds pained and not constructive.

• Timb

April 24, 2018 at 3:12 pm

If you didn’t see the interview then you have no frame of reference with regards this tread.
      It will be unjust to have a go at FRZ because of other preconcieved notions.

• BlueEyed

April 25, 2018 at 7:41 am

@Timb I saw the interview, but I didn’t SEE TO her line of questioning and strong emotional stance when it came to Ms Clinton’s twitter bio….I didn’t mince words when I put a “TO” in that sentence. So don’t come for me hunty, Don’t play yourself, I’m definitely not the one you would wanna make out to look dumb, not in these Bellanaija streets….so take your foolishness elsewhere boo boo.

• Gm

April 25, 2018 at 1:41 pm

@Blueeyed and what are you feeling like aunty? Bella naija streets? Lol please sit down somewhere jare.

2. mamaisabel

April 24, 2018 at 3:06 pm

@Freeze, talking about shaking tables…

3. Timb

April 24, 2018 at 3:06 pm

“CHOICE” is one of the foundamental principles of the femminist movement, so what gives Chimamanda the right to take this choice from another person.

Some women want to be wives, mothers or working women, some others don’t. The ability of a woman to choose is the JUSTICE we are all fighting for, not for some other opinionated
    know-it-all to denigrate them for making a conscious decision.

She should return to her lane and continue writing fiction, and remenber that with an audience comes responsibility

• tunmi

April 24, 2018 at 4:15 pm

She is not taking away choice.

She is asking that we evaluate that choice, to ask whether it is truly a choice or what we’ve been trained to believe. It’s a self reflection really

• Toks

April 24, 2018 at 8:31 pm

Perhaps this was the purpose of the question? That maybe somehow, Hilary did not consciously “choose” to put that first, that it might be the result of a learned approach? Everybody is ignoring the fact that she asked if she chose to write this and the other questions she asked in relation to this. Half the angry people haven’t eveb watched the interview but have jumped on the bandwagon based on sensationalist headlines. Lol…

• NDBabe

April 26, 2018 at 1:46 am

Exactly. With feminism, women should be allowed to choose who they want to be. I used to think I wanted to be a high lying exec until I got the job and realized I would have to forget my kids to continue with the job. So I chose to be a mom. Nobody forced me. I did it myself. the thing is Chimamanda is still going through the euphoria of being at a certain young age bracket. I was there. Until you have stretched your belly and heart carrying a child to nine months, and then you raise that child (not nanny raising), you will not know that when people ask you about your greatest accomplishments, you dont rattle of your work accomplishments, publications, speeches or which great person you’ve met in life. You immediately think of nothing more than your children. That is what you talk about. It is so weird. We spend all these years trying to get to the top. Yet, when asked what was our greatest accomplishment, it goes back to your children and grandkids. I think that is where Clinton is. That is where I am. so I get her. This is one of those perspectives only age can breed.

4. mary

April 24, 2018 at 3:09 pm

he nailed it.

• nnenne

April 24, 2018 at 10:08 pm

No he did not!

5. isaid!!

April 24, 2018 at 3:28 pm

I agree with Freeze, focus on your message CNA and let people live their lives the way they want

• Union

April 29, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Why say all these trash concerning a popular figure like freeze

6. Boss

April 24, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Wife beater too is talking. So when they say men should step out Freeze would too? This one living off his baby Mama. The woman feeds you and houses you and you get mouth dey spew nonsense. Well, you will NEVER achieve half of what Chimamanda has achieved in her short life. Bald headed albino. Diahorea of the mouth all of the time stinks.

• Shao

April 24, 2018 at 9:25 pm

Boss pls what’s wrong with being an albino? Imagine someone turning “black” into an insult. That’s the same way you have used albino as an insult. That is soooooooo not fair.
      Redirect your frame of mind pls.

On behalf of all responsible people I am so sorry to any albino reading Boss’ comment.

The world is really a sore place. ?‍♀️

• KENZ

April 25, 2018 at 8:04 am

leave the Messenger alone and go after the Message ….mbok

• Akeenzman

April 25, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Firstly, we’re you there when he was beating his wife?
      Secondly, did his baby mama report to you that Daddy Freeze is living off her?
      You calling Daddy Freeze a bald headed albino is quite laughable because everybody, including you know quite well that Daddy Freeze is a ladies man. Besides, your comment derides the albinos who’re humans like you. If only you can upload your own picture and let’s see if you’re even good-looking at all.
      Next time, think before you comment

7. Californiabawlar

April 24, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Lmao! Nigerians and their fake outrage. Very mediocre and predictable ‘arguments’ too. I just saw a post on a Facebook group with some women slamming their chest vigorously and proclaiming that they would wear their wife badges with honor even if they would be killed for it ???
    Meanwhile what is it with Facebook groups in Nigeria these days? Some chick went ballistic on a group she had been removed from just a few weeks ago, even threatened to sue the person for libel. Egbami, on top FB? Someone added me to one (I’m kind of offended o), the group has no direction or purpose. Just a bunch of people chatting sht on most days… but then they turn around and call each other family, and even proceed to hangout in real life.
    I’m so confused and intrigued so I haven’t removed myself… I’ll be waiting to see how it all falls apart ??

• Jummy

April 24, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Lmaoooooo. Why do I have a feeling I know the group you’re talking about?

• californiabawlar

April 24, 2018 at 11:28 pm

Lol… I hope you don’t think it’s FIN o. I’m not an active member but they sha get purpose… In fact, they were the only group I left on my page before someone decided to add me to this other yeye group.

8. The Real Oma

April 24, 2018 at 3:58 pm

And how, pray tell, did she take choice away from Hillary Clinton? I am not sure you guys understand the context of that discussion. CNA was given the honour of interviewing HRC for an event and she asked her pointed questions which are relevant to the feminist conversation, given HRC’s position as one of the most powerful women in the world.
    CNA did not say to HRC, “you have to remove wife from your bio”, she didn’t say “you are not a feminist if you have wife in your bio”, she simply asked her, as one intelligent feminist woman to another, why she felt the need for that description and Hillary understanding the question is not coming from any place of shade or hate (as so many of you have concluded) responded just as cordially.

I think all these reactions all over social media in Nigeria to that interview is borne out of a need to bring CNA down a notch, because people think she is shinning too much, like how dare she…?

• Beht why

April 24, 2018 at 4:05 pm

You are one of the few people that has approached this conversation from a good standpoint. Even if one disagrees with what Adichie asked, why not argue intelligently? It is really hard to have intelligent and mature conversations these days. Sigh!

• CrazyWorld

April 24, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Only that CNA said she was upset to see her put wife. That is where she got it wrong. No one would have said anything if she didn’t get upset. How do you get upset over someone’s choice.

That question and the follow up is kind of ‘womansplaining’.

• The Real Oma

April 24, 2018 at 7:58 pm

@Crazyworld, I get you. She was upset and she seized the opportunity to ask HRC about it, that’s an indication of someone who truly wants to understand the other, someone who is open to disagreeing to agree. She felt an emotion, she owned it and cordially asked HRC to help her (CNA) understand and HRC did just that, and both women closed the discussion with a deeper understanding of the other, that’s mark of an adult.

What I don’t understand now is why Nigerians have decided to play children…

• Missy A

April 24, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Asking the question in itself is fine. The issue is Chimamanda said she was upset by the fact that Hilary put wife first. Why should she be upset about how another human being chooses to address herself??

• Toks

April 24, 2018 at 8:33 pm

We can’t neglect the fact she said she was “upset” about it though. Ask your questions but its the upset bit that irked me. It was leading…

• nnenne

April 24, 2018 at 10:19 pm

Thank you!
      Even our fore fathers understood the importance of questions! Hence,
      an old African adage says, ” He who asks questions, never loose their direction.”
      There’s nothing like a dumb question, except the one you never asked!
      Indulge ourselves, my people. Ask questions….of anything, any time, any where, anyhow!

Nothing do you Chimamamda, keep shinning hun!

9. Amaka

April 24, 2018 at 4:02 pm

I have tried to understand what the raucous is, about the interview of Chimamanda Adichie to Hilary Clinton? All I hear are people attacking Chimamanda. Guys, it was and will remain an interview. She asked her a question, and she did not ask her to go and change who she is or her profile, for goodness sake. My goodness people. Please think. If you do not understand something, you have the right to ask question, and that was what Chimamanda did. Bless you all hearts

10. The Precious

April 24, 2018 at 4:15 pm

I never agree with Freeze on anything. Not even his any-tithing message. But on this one, dude is Spot On. She is trying to pull more than she can accommodate. In the words of Freeze, “This table you are shaking has vast consequences even you didn’t bargain for”. I really hope she sees and notes that sentence.

11. Lilo

April 24, 2018 at 4:27 pm

I can’t seem to ignore this particular varmint of a messenger tho…hence the message becomes tainted with poop, particularly when it comes from Dayo Olarinde. I tend to favor him in mute mode.

12. Ade Coker

April 24, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Consider this….did Hilary Clinton CHOOSE to identify herself as ‘wife’ just because it will make her more endearing to the voters or is it because she ACTUALLY identifies herself as a wife first out of her own volition? That is where the issue of ‘choice’ comes in. Is it to make her more popular with the voters(as in its a political gimmick) or because she REALLY does identify first as a wife. I think the former in my opinion is more accurate, as in it’s to win favour with the voters and make her more endearing to the masses. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Chimamanda’s question. She was just asking if it was Hilary’s choice or was it forced upon her by those who felt it will make her more popular with the voters.

• Ify

April 25, 2018 at 8:30 am

Thank you o.

Finally! She asked a damn question o. World people.

She asked if it was her choice to put that in her bio or if was due to societal pressure!

13. Sherri

April 24, 2018 at 6:54 pm

The balls of ignorance!
    I just hope CNA ignores this. he will revel in the attention!
    She in her endearing childlike innocence and naivety might think she can educate him or clarify the point. in this case,totally counterproductive.

14. Adamazi

April 24, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Most Nigerians lack comprehension. CNA asked a question and HRC answered. CNA did not order or direct HRC to change anything. I am happy with CNA’s boldness in asking her question and I am happy that HRC responded. My people free your mind from mental slavery. You know you have questions but you hold back and talk trash behind folks and that is bad. Open your mouth and ask your question rather than making up assumptions about people.

• Toks

April 24, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Most of the angry people have not even watched the interview! Lmaoooo

15. Engoz

April 24, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Freeze, seriously asking where did you guys read the interview? I hope it’s not that sensational excerpt you’re defining as ‘reading an interview’, You yourself should know how Nigerians can easily misinterpret your views on a topic. I remember how Adeboye’s ‘defense’ to your tithe argument was reduced to ‘Christians’ should drink beer. And because of that (according to ‘Adeboye’s’ rationalization) your message was wrong. Chimamanda has always argued against the elitism of academic feminist societies and exclusion of the average woman from feminism. And has maintained that space needs to created for them in the movement. (I actually disagree a little bit with her because of the confusion this brings by letting questionable views participate in the movement, and we see it all the time for example I have seen women argue they are feminist but still want men to solely provide for them and then argue it’s their ‘choice’ despite it being a contradiction to the tenet of gender equality. Anybody that contradicts the fundamental principle of gender equality cannot be a feminist. But this is another topic for another day). Please do take care not to fall into this attitude of providing knee jerk reactions that Nigerians are privy to when it comes to people they have deep seethed hatred for and can’t wait for their downfall.

16. Jane

April 24, 2018 at 8:12 pm

I just don’t understand why freeze thinks his opinion is always superior.. please take several sits and look before you leap

17. Patrick

April 24, 2018 at 11:04 pm

The bashing is enough, I see it as a mistake on her part, we all do make mistakes sometimes. She isn’t the cause of our problems. Let’s tackle the real issues out there and vote for people who can effect change.

18. Tata

April 24, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Ode!! Go and watch the full video . It was a light hearted conversation. You are not a Hillary fan but she is . You are sounding too pained..to be honest you are the one with inadequacies. what exactly led to comparing their achievements. Besides in your life time you cannot achieve what Chiamanda has achieved. Chimamanda was talking to an enlightened audience and they completely understood where she was coming from you are here spewing rubbish and seeking relevance….this is what my people call nzuzu….

19. The real dee

April 24, 2018 at 11:52 pm

Sometimes, we need to put ourselves in other people’s shoes. Was it not the other day CNA found it offensive when a French interviewer asked her if her books are read in 9ja and if there are bookshops in 9ja? I can’t believe she’s now the same one in the news asking someone why she decided to write ‘wife’ on her bio.
    So if we find her question offensive, please let it be. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

20. benwonder

April 25, 2018 at 12:09 am

.uhmmm

21. Adamazi

April 25, 2018 at 12:45 am

@ The real dee- the difference here is that HRC did not find the question offensive. Are you HRC? Please understand and comprehend the issue before jumping in.

• Weezy

April 25, 2018 at 8:30 am

How do you or Chimamanda know Hillary Clinton did not find the question offensive? Because she answered politely? Are you Hillary Clinton to know her precise feelings? You’ve never dealt graciously with something while inwardly rolling your eyes?

Its funny how in defending CNA, some people are quick to do the same thing they are accusing others of. As the real Dee said, what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

• The Real Oma

April 25, 2018 at 9:28 am

@Weezy, let’s even assume HRC found the question offensive, then what? It was an interview, it would be a mere case of pandering if CNA only asked her questions that makes her happy.
      And you have said it yourself, HRC answered graciously and I would add intelligently. How many of CNA’s critics can be described the same, with many resorting to ad hominem….?

Chai, it’s a good thing CNA is married with a child o, if not eh?

22. Ebuka

April 25, 2018 at 6:03 am

The question asked by Chimamanda was inappropriate and was entirely non of her business. I think should be the needful by retracting that question, it was totally uncalled for.

23. Shipi Wunungha

April 25, 2018 at 9:30 pm

Glad majority weren’t swayed by the attention seeking Freeze’s uninformed perspective. The question was in a particular context and why worry since the question was to HRC herself who had an opportunity to clear the air for CNA and anyone bearing same perspective.

24. Peaches77

April 26, 2018 at 10:25 am

I feel ashamed of you, writer. Nzuzu a akaligo.