Scoop

Michelle Dede shares story on alleged Assault by Policemen in Lekki

BellaNaija.com

Michelle Dede says she was Abused by Policemen in Lekki - BellaNaija

Michelle Dede

Nollywood actress Michelle Dede has shared how she was allegedly assaulted by police in Lekki.

Writing on her Instagram, Dede said she was abused at the 2nd roundabout, Lekki, at the checkpoint on Adebimpe Adewunmi Drive.

She was on her way back from a vigil, riding in a Taxify cab driven by a woman, when she was stopped.

She was physically harassed, she wrote, pushed in the chest by one of the police officers.

Read her story below:

1. Oma

April 15, 2018 at 11:21 am

My dear, I won’t lie…most times when I see the police check points at night and I’m alone or with just females, I enter panic mode. I become very alert and very worried. Instead of calm and safety, those guys put fear in me. This was due to an experience I had some years ago . I was stopped by the police and they didn’t just search my bag, the policeman actually proceeded to physically search me. I was wearing a lycra turtle neck and that fit close to my body …you know how lycra is …and skinny jeans. While one searched my purse and I was worriedly and vigilantly watching him, the other one touched me all over as per searching if I was carrying something on me. I was too scared to say anything …cos it was dark …but I cried when I entered the car. This was some years ago but I remember that experience very well. Those are still part of the effects of living in a largely patriarchal society. Every female is an ashewo unless proven otherwise, especially if you’re out at night. Thought things were getting better …from this story ….too bad.

• Della Russel

April 15, 2018 at 9:55 pm

Not only did they disrespect you but also violated you in the process. The people being paid with the tax-payer’s money has rather become the monster terrorising people. This is so bad.

2. Ephi

April 15, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Nigerian police, biko when will you people change?

• Trinitee

April 15, 2018 at 1:02 pm

Never.

So clueless, can’t even find their way out of an empty bag.

3. bruno

April 15, 2018 at 1:23 pm

u are have turned it into a woman issue. thats the problem with u nigerian feminists wannabes. as if its only women nigerian police harrass. nigerian police is everybodys problem whether u are female or male.
    incase u don’t know nigerian guys have it ten times worse than u ladies when dealing with naija police.
    how many nigerian men have been killed by police.
    how many nigerian men have been lynched by vigilante groups for carrying dread locks or for not having an I.D card on them

u have dreadlocks the mumu police tags u a yahoo yahoo boy
    u are a young guy driving a jeep, they tag u a criminal

how many boys have been beaten for refusing to unlock their phones?

I remember when black berry phones were the reigning thing back in the day, they nearly arrested one of my male friends for carry a blackberry bold. they said he stole it

I was nearly arrested for carrying my laptop without the receipt. can u imagine. how many years ago did I buy the laptop and u expect me to still have the receipt? u expect me to be carrying the receipt up and down? thank god I was a corper when it happened, if not they would have arrested me.

nigerian police is everybody’s problem. pls don’t turn it into a woman issue cause it is not.

4. Letty

April 15, 2018 at 3:11 pm

I miss nija but when i hear stories like this it’s disheartening

5. Letty

April 15, 2018 at 3:12 pm

I’m more stuck on the female cab driver who apparently is used to this treatment but she has no choice because she has to survive

6. Weezy

April 15, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Being female in Nigeria.

7. Aare farmland

April 15, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Oh they do worse but sometimes to ladies of the night when the parade still went on at Allen, opebi, gra. The police behave like the mob. I think they wanted to catch someone shady so they can collect there regular protection fee.

8. jokobaba

April 15, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Nigeria is just an animal kingdom. What type of society is this?!

• No Headaches Please

April 15, 2018 at 10:28 pm

‘An animal kingdom’.

9. zzzzzzzzzzz

April 15, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Nigerian Police, the other day I sat near a police man in a bus and he reeked of paraga. This was in the morning. You sometimes wonder what is the difference between them and area boys

10. Dayo

April 15, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Sadly, Nigerian police merely reflects the reality of most of Nigerian society. They are as much victims as they are perpetrators.

11. blackbarbie

April 15, 2018 at 10:13 pm

OMG I thought i was the only one who went through this. I was very disappointed and upset when they stopped myself and my partner, asked him to open the boot and then without warning he came to the passenger side and opened the door asking me to GET OUT, asking what i had in my hand bag… I responded Tampons and other womanly things. he proceeded to putting his hands in my bag to search and when he didn’t find anything stepped back and continued to flash is touch light in my face. My partner asked why he was searching his woman’s bag, but this policeman couldn’t I’ve a valid answer. we just got into the car and left.
    I understand they have to do their jobs but, why harass people? They need to be brought to order.

• Ovadje

April 16, 2018 at 2:50 am

Blackbarbie, I am not defending the police but if you were a robber will you tell them you were carrying a gun in your purse/bag? Of course they have to search the bag.

Until we get to become a society where it is not necessary to have checkpoints, and where we do not confine policing to the poor poorly-educated dregs of society, poorly-paid and often warehoused in quarters hardly fit for animals, we should expect no better from the police.

12. No Headaches Please

April 15, 2018 at 10:28 pm

‘An animal kingdom’.

13. olanna+odenigbo

April 16, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Dear Michelle, This is how the revelation of purpose starts…. You have done well by bringing it to light, Can we now start collecting reports from other females at this same point first and start by making a formal WRITTEN complaint, and then openly protest this? Can we march to the station closest to that place, in daylight in numbers and protest this….. I am tired of empathising and worrying…. can we call a protest day and night to let them know WE WILL NOT BE TAKING THIS SORT OF TREATMENT!!!

They know we will rant on social media and keep quiet, but can we do more than rant??? Demand Fair treatment! and collect names of unruly officers we can actually report!
    I will be refreshing this page just in case una ready. E DON DO!!!

14. OA

April 17, 2018 at 2:51 am

Haba! So because there are armed robbers in the country, women particularly should be harassed and violated in the process of being harassed?! Me I nor understand that one oh. This is a friendly reminder to myself. I will be in the confines of the house by 9:00 PM next time I go home. My mouth is too sharp for me to be on the streets beyond that time. Make persin no come and go and die. I can be level headed and will even try to throw a few jests, etc. in there often, but when you start harassing me, my body goes into auto reject. I cannot stand to be bullied or harassed by people who think they have power.

15. 9ja

April 18, 2018 at 6:58 am

OA, as Bruno said it’s not a gender (or female) issue. And btw we have female armed robbers in Nigeria too. Furthermore, like someone else noted, the police as just as victimized as “bullied and harassed” by people who have power (monetary and political power) but even by molue drivers. Since I moved to this country, I have rarely (if ever) seen a driver voluntarily obey the stop orders of any traffic cop. Our cops are poorly-trained, poorly-paid, poorly-educated, poorly-housed, poorly-insured – and then we give them guns and send them out at night. SMH

16. Tessa Doghor

July 2, 2018 at 2:44 pm

If you are tired of being a policeman, go home
    Police men protect, they don’t attack
    In sane countries