BN TV

BellaNaija.com

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie talks Lies & Outrage Culture in Harvard Class of 2018 Address | BellaNaijaWriter and speaker Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie gave the class day address to the Harvard Class of 2018 on Wednesday.

Chimamanda, characteristically, had a lot of jokes, but also a lot of insight.

She discussed the outrage and “cancelling” culture, urging the graduates to take note of context and intent.

She shared an anecdote about an English woman who, despite her best intentions, somehow mauled her name in front of an audience, calling her “chimichanga.”

She also asked that the graduates always speak the truth, valuing it above lies.

See the address below:

1. Sista sistA

May 24, 2018 at 5:25 pm

she is pregnant!!!!!!!

2. Mee

May 24, 2018 at 5:39 pm

My muse.

One of the best speeches I ever listened to. So real and relational.
    I love your spirit, CNA.

3. Adamazi

May 24, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Simply beautiful!!!. Thank you Chimamanda

4. The Real Oma

May 24, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Each time I listen to this woman I wonder if it’s possible to love and admire her even more, like she’s so inspirational.
    And I always find her hair and makeup so beautifully done.
    Chimamanda, your parents named you aptly.

5. Hotchick

May 24, 2018 at 8:10 pm

Wow!

6. Peaches77

May 24, 2018 at 8:22 pm

All the things I like about CNA…… she just takes simple common sensical thoughts and basic home training/ advice and makes it into a fantastic high profile speech.

7. cj

May 24, 2018 at 10:14 pm

wow !!wow !!wow !!wow! !wow to what?wow to d fact dat I watched d video jst now(jst saying d truth)

8. Mahka

May 24, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Nwa azuri azu…her parents must be so proud! That igbo proverb???.
    Love you CNA, your words always get me…Ada igbo, Ada Anambra, Ada umunachi ?
    I’m in awe!
    *Saying empty words is worse than saying nothing at all.
    *You ‘ll find what you love, or at least what you like or what you don’t hate or something
    *Everyone s story is potentially universal, it just needs to be told well
    *Change the media, make it about the truth, not for entertainment or for profit making
    *you have to do something until you do something else
    *Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, the world offers itself to your imagination.
    *Be courageous, tell the truth.

• Stuz

May 26, 2018 at 2:58 am

She is from Abba, not Umunnachi .

• Stuz

May 26, 2018 at 3:00 am

She is from Abba, not Umunnachi.

9. Ify

May 24, 2018 at 11:18 pm

Beautifully said

10. Aare farmland

May 25, 2018 at 12:33 am

If the pseudo women’s liberation movement at BN want to inspire women they can also post Abby Wambach’s Barnard’s speech. That one has some crunk

11. nnenne

May 25, 2018 at 4:06 am

What is there not to love about this woman?

Your husband deserves even more ovations for supporting her to continue doing what she does best!.

12. Wifematerial

May 25, 2018 at 4:50 am

Never knew you this awesome until listened to your speech that you gave Harvard 2018 graduating students that was terrific.

13. OA

May 26, 2018 at 3:25 am

Dia you are! See how Chimamanda spoke her English so eloquently, with her Nigerian accent. If it was me now, I will be trying to speak American English. SMH at myself. She is no longer going places, she don arrive/land! Nigeria’s gift to the world…one of those that still makes the world respect us!

14. Sel

May 27, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Finally watched the video and I must say Chimamanda is admirable!