Relationships

“Broken engagement is better than broken marriage,” says OAP Destiny Amaka as she shares Personal Experience

OAP Destiny Amaka in a lengthy post on her Instagram page reveals she was once engaged.

She shared the photo below explaining how she called off her engagement because she wanted more from life, adding that although it didn’t work out, she is still a firm believer in love.

She wrote:

Broken engagement is better than broken marriage. Paris 2011 he popped the question, I saw the ring? my mums face, my friends and family who flew in cheering for joy. The money that was spent, the effort from family and friends. No one would know the heated argument we had few hours before this pic was taken. Fast forward few months, during the entire preparation for our traditional wedding we weren’t speaking, but they will tell you its normal, it happens. Its not true!

It takes immense courage to walk away from something you’ve been building for years. I was young, won’t say much. @nickiminaj tweets few weeks back hit close to home. No regrets! No hate, I strongly believe he gave his best, and with that knowledge its up to you to determine whether their best is good enough for you. Gratitude?? #throwbackthursday my soul craves for a little bit more from life? I gave the ring back, the cars, the house, our investments all! And with my little savings I was hidding in my friends account I moved to Lagos 2012 started from scratch, with no friends or family members I really knew?? what a journey!

I still believe in love and best believe I won’t be settling for anything less than team work!??❤ I know my worth?? and yes it may scare some away, but the right man will know how to bring out the best in you not the worst. #TeamLove ? #postcomingdownsoon looking forward to writing a blog! I have too many life experiences I would like to share without offending thoese close to me, and also hearing and learning from your experiences too. Life is beautiful when we all come together?? it took a lot out of me sha!!!! But it gave a lot back?? #love#marriage#engagement#life#knowyourworth#Godiscleansingmysoul#ithinkimready

1. Wifematerial

June 1, 2018 at 3:12 am

best decision ever. save yourself heartache and sudden death no be force to stay in abusive marriage.

2. star

June 1, 2018 at 5:22 am

Thats a good decision you made and its true alot of women are suffering and patching their marriages just because they want approval from the society, friends and family wanting to be labelled as successful cause thats how nigerians define it, the ring, how and where he proposed , his job, his looks, her age, is the family famous? Foolish things . Dear women you must know yourself, have mental stamina to say NO to any kind of PRESSURE,society or family because after all its YOUR CUP OF TEA na you go dey house with the man, please dont rush, dont let a man make you feel he is doing you a favour by marrying you, stop living to IMPRESS anyone in thia lifembut moat importantly GET A LIFE FIRST, before thinking of marriage, i mean know your purpose for existence that way NO MAN WILL INSULT YOU

3. adeanon

June 1, 2018 at 7:32 am

You dodged a major bullet dear.

Not talking for months is NOT normal.

4. John

June 1, 2018 at 8:09 am

It is only a fool that will believe this ridiculously one sided story.

Anyway…This is Nigeria

No be Nigerian women again

June 1, 2018 at 9:33 am

John you’re too cynical. It’s her side and there was no maligning of character. She kept it classy and candid. Why are you always so negative and bitter. Who did this to you? You need to heal John seriously….

5. Cocoa

June 1, 2018 at 10:22 am

I hate this phrase. How about being true enough to not accept an engagement ring. An engagement is still a covenant.
    A PROMISE,

I want women to use all this wisdom BEFORE even entering these relationships.

You werent married yet you had INVESTEMENTS TOGETHER……YOUR SAVINGS you had to HIDE in ypur friends account??? What is all this?

Im glad she got away but this comment is for those who arent engaged and married yet….PLEASE USE WISDOM EARLY ON. THESE MEN SHOW YOU FROM THE BEGINNING.

DONT BE CARRIED AWAY BY CARS…they use car to buy some people’s peace of mind. Dont be greedy.,,..dont sell your integrity for car you can buy YOURSELF if you will only work hard.

JUST STOP ALREADY. SHINE YOUR EYE. Arent you tired of stories that touch?

• Prime Babe

June 1, 2018 at 12:15 pm

@Cocoa, I know what you mean ……as in, totally….. You should however consider that the proposal was done publicly (referencing picture in post), with friends, loved ones and family present. As “stubborn” as I pride myself to be, I would feel some pressure not to rock the boat and spoil people (my mother)’s happiness…. and there is such a thing as subtle pressure. True, maybe the self evaluation should have happened earlier, but the proposal may just have brought it home that “ko le werk”.

• Tesme

June 1, 2018 at 1:27 pm

Cocoa you are too judgmental and such a know it all. Anytime you comment, it’s all about you dishing your ridiculously narrow minded advice to people. I can’t imagine the kind of friend you would be.You need to tone it alllllll the way down. Remember that those who think they know it all, know nothing at all. And also girl, stop being melodramatic by capitalizing some words in your long essays for emphasis. Think twice before you comment on other people’s personal experience with such a judgmental tone and please chill out.

• Cocoa

June 2, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Tesme,
      i actually have a good number of friends and acquaintances that used to say the same thing!! Hahahaha!!! But do you know why im loved by them? Because i treat them EXACTLY the way i treat myself. Im not a hypocrite. I take my own advice:)

And guess who they ALWAYS want to share their problems with? ME!! Because they know they will get the TRUTH. No hidden agenda here.

I have ZERO TOLERANCE for SIN in my life and in any one else’s life. If youre intentionally living in sin and you come around me…you will be VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. I cant pretend to be a habitual sinner to make anyone feel comfortable or to be relatable. I have been SET FREE. Im NEVER going back. YOU CAN BE FREE TOO!!

I am a child of God…it comes with the territory.

If the advice youre looking for is contrary to what the Bible says…just skip my comments because they will certainly annoy you. If however you feel my words are not conveying my compassion enough..i can apologse for that…but know that in my heart i carry a burden for others. I want everyone to TRUELY live their best life…a GODLY life.

I dont know it all though…but i know a lot more than i did yesterday and i have my BIBLE to fill in the gaps.

1 Thessalonians 4:7 (AMP) says:

For God has not called us to impurity, but to holiness [to be dedicated, and set apart by behavior that pleases Him, whether in public or in private

p.s: About CAPITALIZING some words..sòrry cant stop that. It is ESSENTIAL. 🙂

• Cocoa

June 1, 2018 at 2:25 pm

This is why people NEED a season of singleness to find out who God says you are and to grow in that confidence.

My hand can not be twisted by my parents, friends, society etc into making foolish decsions… but this is a place i had to let God get me to.

If you still bend to pressure ….youre not ready to be anybodys wife yet. Because to build a godly home you need to be BOLD.

What i really want to highlight is YOUR CHOICE speaks more about YOU. Take a step back and ask yourself WHY you chose him or her and why ypu ALLOWED yourself to be treated this way….then take that VOID to GOD ..for HIM TO FILL IT.

• Tito

June 1, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Cocoa dear, you know you come off as self absolved sometimes. Your comments initially felt cool, honest and different but you’re beginning to sound as if you’re the only perfect human in existence. There’s just no room for human flaws to you. In an ideal world, that would make sense. Just dey calm down small small so that your points don’t get lost in the oversabi.

• Cocoa

June 1, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Tito
      I KNOW my message is going to offend some…but it will liberate another. It is worthwhile to me.

People live in their excuses….”im only human. Im not perfect….” because they dont realise that when they come to Christ they are PERFECT IN HIM.

Im not sorry that i come across as perfect……as long as i never forget that it is not I but HE WHO LIVES IN ME.

I made it very clear that my initial comment was for tHose who are YET to make thise mistake….it is for them to know that they too can be STRENGTHENED BY GOD even in difficult situations e.g. PUBLIC proposal, ungodly relationship etc

I cant sugarcoat that message…… it is too important.

• Weezy

June 2, 2018 at 11:43 am

For what it’s worth I agree with you. Women need to have strength of character.

6. Joey

June 1, 2018 at 1:41 pm

As I will always say, lives have been destroyed by hasty actions. U met some one, u date, u get engaged, then u had a conflict and called it off. For you to be posting this on social media means u still haven’t healed let’s be honest. I’m not judging her but women need to learn that conflicts are normal, the best relationship have them. We women should learn to mend and not destroy relationships, every one has baggage and issues and the next man she moves on to will have his own issues and god forbid those issues might even be worse than her former mans. Regret is the only outcome of a failed relationship for both parties. Let’s all be careful.

• John

June 1, 2018 at 5:00 pm

The only reasonable comment here ( apart from mine).

7. John T

June 1, 2018 at 4:40 pm

It’s a tough one really. She did what she felt was best for her at the time, it couldn’t have been easy after coming that far. However, I’m not sure what she’s expecting to find will be radically different from what she went through at that period in her life. While one should be happy in a relationship, truth is they are a lot of work and require a lot of selflessness and sacrifices.

I wish her all the best and truly hope she walks away with the real lessons she was supposed to learn from that part of her life.

8. nnenne

June 1, 2018 at 11:06 pm

In all things, marriage should be ENJOYED EQUALLY by both parties
    No one should be enduring while the other sow wild seeds!
    You work together, endure together, plan together and enjoy life together.