News

MKO’s daughter Hafsat Abiola-Costello shares her thoughts on Buhari declaring June 12 Democracy Day

BellaNaija.com

Hafsat Abiola-Castello, daughter of the presumed winner of the June 12, 1993, elections winner, MKO Abiola, has shared her thoughts on the date becoming the new Democracy Day.

President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday announced that June 12, 1993, would henceforth be celebrated as Democracy Day.

Hafsat, on her Twitter, shared her reaction, expressing herself with a poem. See the poem below:

1. I'mJustSayn'

June 7, 2018 at 1:43 pm

This made me cry

A lot

2. Physio Tinu

June 7, 2018 at 3:05 pm

I remember…
    The campaign songs we sang and memorized as children. The hope building up to that day. The victory that was assured.
    Then the dashed hope. The darkness of not just the man in glasses but the darkness of injustice.

Hafsats words ring true. They tried to wipe the day and the memory of it away not realising it goes to the very core of our unity as a nation and our national identity.

Her response brings tears to my eyes. May the labour of those who died and lost so much not be in vain.

Nigeria, my country.

3. Mama Ayo

June 7, 2018 at 3:47 pm

I am so happy too. This is very belated but well deserved albeit been granted with malicious intent by a highly hypocritical person. The SW cannot and will not be swayed. We believed in MKO because we saw that he was a visionary leader. Can we say the same about PBM…..
    Get your PVC today and let us do justice to the blood of our heros past. Do not let the sacrifice of MKO be in vain.

4. Aanu

June 7, 2018 at 3:56 pm

On the march again, on the march again
    looking for Mr. president..
    on the march again…..

M K O…….. is our man o..

—————————
    Looking back now, I feel strongly that Nigeria would have become a better country from then on, if only he had not been killed and he had been allowed to rule this country…

————————–

We are just really self-destroyers!

• Elle

June 7, 2018 at 5:10 pm

The West (particularly the US) played a key role in MKO’s murder. They thrive on Africa having rubbish leaders, so they make sure to scatter anyone which will make sense and install those that would benefit their interests The chicken will surely come to roost one day.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

June 7, 2018 at 10:17 pm

@Elle, I thank God that gradually and more gradually, our naivete (a.k.a mumu) don begin fade.

Nigerians and black Africa in general – be woke oh. Be very awake…. because the white people playing ten-ten with your destiny are keeping very constant and dedicated night vigils. Make all man begin shine eyes very well to the meddling and puppeteering. E no start today….

5. Aderonke

June 7, 2018 at 5:10 pm

No matter the intention whether for political means or not I am happy June 12 is declared a Democracy day for Nigeria if for nothing but for the man that fought till death for the democracy of this nation.

MOSHOOD KASIMAWO OLANREWAJU ABIOLA

Where both Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa , Niger Delta , and all tribes in togetherness voted for their choice of leadership with no prejudice but with love and hope for a better NIgeria.
    I did not cast my vote because I was yet to be 14years old then but everyone in my house did and I watched at the balcony of my house at Zamba street in lawanson where many queued with smiles on their faces, gisting and patting each other;’s back to vote for their favorite candidate.

We danced and celebrated after the election, I remember my dad gave each of us a little token in celebration of Abiola’s victory!
    O we danced and sang joyously for a true leader who we know and believed we turn the state of our nation for good.

Who can forget the song of SDP?
    I can never forget it….
    I still sing the song in my heart even though my lips, many times were too tired to muster the words due to anger or pain of rejection of justice and fairness.

I applaud the decision to do the right thing after 25years,
    I always say there is no lateness in sending well wishes…congratulations Nigeria, Congratulations to the Abiola family and to all the families involved in the struggle for democracy of Nigeria till date, Congratulations to us all!

God bless Nigeria!

Nigeria on the rise again…. On the rise again
    Looking for Mr President
    MKO is our man

6. o

June 7, 2018 at 6:32 pm

When the whole country joined hands to propagate one cause and one man singlehandedly deferred it. Finally MKO is honoured albeit in death and maybe with an ulterior motive. May his soul and the souls of our heros past continue to rest in peace Amen.

7. Fleur

June 7, 2018 at 7:06 pm

Given that Nigeria is resistant to change, I doubt that MKO would have had more success than those who have tried some after him. Speaking of democracy day, would it not be worthy if the incumbent administration vowed to uphold democratic principles in honor of MKO? Declaring a day is sentimental. It is actions that count.