News

Certificate Scandal: “I don’t bloody care” whether Adeosun did Youth Service or Not – Sagay

BellaNaija.com

Professor Itse Sagay

The chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC), Itse Sagay has said that he does not believe the minister of finance Kemi Adeosun forged her National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) certificate.

Premium Times had, in an investigative report, disclosed that the minister did not undergo the mandatory year-long NYSC programme and went on to obtain a fake exemption certificate.

Sagay, speaking to The Nation in Abuja, said that Adeosun is “a brilliant and extremely valuable member of this government,” adding that he doesn’t “bloody care whether she did youth service or not”.

Sagay, a professor of law and Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), said that his comment is his “own bias, not government’s,” adding that he if was President Buhari, he wouldn’t sack the minister because “she’s damn good!”

He said:

Let me tell you my reaction. This woman is a brilliant and extremely valuable member of this government.

A lot of the good things happening now – the welfare that Nigerians are enjoying and are going to enjoy, because it takes time, and the way our economy is booming, how we got out of recession – are due to her expertise, her commitment, her sacrifice.

There is nothing in this world that will make me remove such a woman from the government. The PDP can weep from now until there is no tear in their body; she is going to be there. We cannot afford to lose that woman.

Asked if it was not an offence to skip youth service, Sagay said:

Who cares about youth service? I don’t bloody care whether she did youth service or not. It’s irrelevant as far as I am concerned.

On allegation that she forged her exemption certificate, the professor said:

I don’t believe it. I don’t see anything serious about not doing youth service. I don’t see anything serious about it. That’s my own bias, not government’s.

I’m telling you now. If I were President Buhari, I would never, ever touch that woman because she’s damn good.

The enemies of this government want to reduce his capacity to provide good governance by engaging in social media attacks and trying to get rid of her. It will not work.

On senate president Bukola Saraki, Sagay said that he should resign “as a matter of honour” even if “he’s not compelled by law to do so”.

“He should relinquish his position as a matter of honour. He’s not compelled by law to do so. He needs to be removed by two-thirds majority.

He got there because he was in APC, even though he got there by subterfuge, which is typical of him. He got there in a cheeky, fraudulent manner. Nevertheless, for him to be removed, they need two-thirds, not of the senate, but of those present and voting at a meeting.

It doesn’t have to be everybody. It’s those who happen to be there. Once they meet the quorum of one-third, and he is there, he can be removed by two-thirds of that one-third,” he said.

On the freezing of the Benue State government’s accounts, Sagay said:

There’s nothing EFCC can do to him (Governor Samuel Ortom). They can’t arrest him. They can investigate him, put down the records of what they found, and wait for his tenure to end. Right now, nobody can touch him.

As for freezing Benue State’s account, I can’t support it. I don’t know why, but government has to function. I don’t want people to suffer because there are no funds for basic government functions.

I don’t know if EFCC really did that; we have to be careful because it looks extreme to me

1. Beht why

August 10, 2018 at 2:50 pm

Oh yeah? Alright then.

• Fleur

August 12, 2018 at 1:06 pm

Translation – The end justifies the means. He does not care if a public policy creator and enforcer flouts public policy as long as she has a certain identity- APC membership. Others shall be beholden to a different enforcement paradigm. And we ask about the origin of lawlessness & total disregard for policy in Naija? Look no further than the elderly ruling class

2. Ese

August 10, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Deluded old men …..hes meant to be a constitutional lawyer . These kind of people are arse lickers for any govt in power

3. VIKY

August 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm

U RE A MAD MAN

4. Mz Socially Awkward....

August 10, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Let me understand this. You don’t bloody care if Kemi underwent her mandatory NYSC year or not…. and the certificate is irrelevant in your own words…. but you can opine that Saraki got to his own position fraudulently and should relinquish his position as a matter of honor?

What the hell is wrong with all these old men?

• FasholasLover

August 11, 2018 at 1:35 am

My sentiments exactly. This Professor of wharefa is M-A-D. The reason why people like this should never be in any position of authority. He has Buhari’s mentality. Effing old men with no conscience.

5. Dayo

August 10, 2018 at 5:38 pm

What a hypocritical moron…

The person COMPELLED by law to serve or seek a lawful exemption should not resign or be touched or removed, but the person NOT compelled by law to resign should do so. SMDH

6. Simi

August 10, 2018 at 7:24 pm

This is just embarrassing. I did not study law but knew the Sagay name AND read the Sagay book whilst fooling around with my friends who did read law. And this right here is just embarrassing.

• Anon

August 10, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Touché! I cannot believe this is the same man I looked up to when I was growing up.

7. nwa nna

August 10, 2018 at 9:40 pm

A case of selective morals here prof. Wrong is wrong under the law, it’s called integrity!
    Guess like everything else in naija, we pick and chose when it favors us. As a lawyer prof ought to know better, we need to start holding ourselves to a much higher standard if ever things will change in Nigeria!!

8. nene+

August 10, 2018 at 9:59 pm

But certificates means nothing to APC . You remembered Buhari’s Waec certificate . It means nothing to them. Shrugs. We are lead by cow rearers.

9. by_stander

August 10, 2018 at 11:45 pm

OMG These ****** Lawyers and Accountants!!!

Yet another prime example – most people think these things are isolated cases.

You can not tell me this behaviour is not at the fundamental core of their professions, I am convinced this has to be systematic, and starting to think the brain washing might be starting at very early stages in their lives. I can however assure you no nation has progressed without putting their powers in check.

When it comes to their personal interest these two professions will justify any goddamn thing, even if it means that everyone else’s inalienable rights goes to hell.

We put too much trust in the hands of outdated people who have no incentive to be trust worthy. Thats is why i believe they like to do a lot of decorating – if you’re empty on the inside, you have to be damn convincing on the outside.

In other words we follow these ******** like blind sheep, without questioning the BS they put out, its not as if they even make it easy, since that would amount to breaking some sort of rule they’ve made as well.

We should not stop educating ourselves!

The sooner we start paying attention to the fundamental core of these two professions and the dangers they pose to society through their influence, the sooner we start to understand just what is at stake.

The part that even pisses me off the most is when they try to claim responsibility for “progress” , like really?

Oh if you know how i am fuming right now reading a Lawyer saying an Accountant is responsible for progress? elementary school addition and subtraction monopoly?

The only reason why any people can not move their society forward, is alway because of the fallout of bad laws and policies – and almost in every case you have bad laws and policies they are in the favour of Lawyers or Accountants or both.

But when the laws and policies are “fixed” by removing the underlying monopolies in their interest, suddenly actual progress starts to happen.

Then some *********** says an Accountant or a Lawyer is responsible for progress???

If you ask me these two professions are overrated and outdated,In almost every case, all they do like snake oil sales men is try to find ways to make themselves relevant for personal gains, even if its at the expense of society.

Anybody in a position of forming policy or acting on policy formed by these lot, should take note and be informed. We don’t just need educated folks in their various fields, we need folks with high intelligence to deal with these lot.

Our collective freedom is being compromised by these lot! while we are not paying attention and expecting they have the same sense of duty like other professions to do what is humanly right.

Know their game! They do dont care about the society working well they only care about society working well for them. Everything they do is geared towards that, the rest of use are slaves to the ends of those elaborate games – Unlike a doctor that has to scientifically justify why they are giving your a drug and how it works in your benefit. These lot make up any nonsense they want even in your detriment.

But guess what?

They don’t have any right to claim a monopoly on our inalienable rights, which is what they are always trying to sell back to us!