BN TV

Yvonne Orji discusses God advising her to go into Comedy | WATCH

Actress and comedian Yvonne Orji is a star on one of our favorite shows “Insecure” where she plays Molly.

The actress was recently on “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” where she discussed how she got into comedy and her parents watching the show.

She had decided not to go to medical school, she shared, after failing Organic Chemistry, and instead got a masters in Public Health.

After entering the pageant Miss Nigeria in America, she realized she had to showcase a talent and, having none, prayed to God about it. There, she heard a voice asking that she do comedy.

Watch her tell the whole story:

1. iyke

September 5, 2018 at 10:13 pm

I like this girl Yvonne Orji. Very friendly and quite loquacious. Met her in New York few yrs ago and knew she would go places.
    Her podcast ‘Jesus and Jollof ‘is quite engaging and debatable.

• memebaby

September 6, 2018 at 4:36 am

yea it is.. the accent can sometimes be unnecessary..she’s going places for sure.

2. Cocoa

September 6, 2018 at 9:52 am

I just PRAY she will stop mixing God with the world…she has to pick a side. There is NOTHING GODLY about that insecure show. When I heard she was a Christian..i made the terrible mistake of watching the show and didn’t last but a few minutes…i was already uncomfortable from the language (Holy Spirit was already speaking)….then her sex scene came on suddenly . I.LITERALLY JUMPED.

We have to be very careful. You cant go around proclaiming God…telling people to not have sex before marriage….and you are comfortable acting out sex.
    VIRGINITY doesnt equate to PURITY. You can be a virgin and still be engaging in sexual immorality. Remember God see our hearts.

Yvonne..sister…..please retrace your steps. That show is a gig from the devil. RUN!!

• Ajala & Foodie

September 6, 2018 at 5:21 pm

@ Cocoa, I know I have been harsh with you in the recent past but I really want to believe your true desire is to draw men to God but, the way you go about it, simply put, is misguided.

So let’s put this into perspective, the show is not of God ( I have not seen this show BTW) and as such she should not act in it. So all the companies that we Christians should work for or in should be Christian companies owned and ran by Christians based on godly principles? Before you say that is different. Let me tell you why it isn’t. The entertainment industry is no different from the oil and gas industry, it is no different from the financial markets, i.e they are all industries in this world and that means we (Christians) as long as we are in this world and have bills to pay we will work in them and we are called to do so anyway. When the Bible calls us lights and the salt, it is not telling us to run from the world because how can a candle light a place unless it is in darkness. A candle is useless when a place is lighted. Or do you season and already seasoned stew or soup with salt without the soup losing its taste? Salt is only useful when the stew is tasteless. Many of us confuse the Bible verse about not being conformed to the world has running away from the world, that only portrays us as judgmental, unrealistic and just plain old hypocrites. The truth is many of us quote Roman 12 vs 2 without reading vs 1, i.e reading it in context. Vs 1. Gives us a better understanding of vs 2. It is really about fixing our eyes on God, (I particularly like the MSG translation for this one) not about running from the world. If you had watched the interview which I did while it was shown live. She was asked how she is able to do it with all her standards i.e she is known to have principle and standards in the industry. That, I believe is being a light.

• Cocoa

September 7, 2018 at 9:23 am

Ajala i truely believe you only feel this way bevause you didnt watch the show..and i pray you never do. The day i watched the show she was straddled around a man having sex. i guess her character is the loose girl. The dialogue on the show wasnt any better.

I agree with you…that we are not asked to not go into the world..i mean Jesus said in his prayer for us,

“I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one, THEY ARE NOT OF THE WORLD just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have SENT THEM into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified[d] in truth.

He sent us into the world to do our Father’s business. There are things i cant do at work because im a child of God. I cant partake in their lies and sinful culture. Some Christians even get fired because of this. They will accuse you of not being a TEAM PLAYER. YOU MUST KNOW YOU ARE NOT OF THE WORLD.

I cant stay in a company that expects me to displease GOD for a salary. No amount of money could pay the price JESUS paid.

FOR EXAMPLE, If they bribe in your company and you join them in bribing and dont tell them that bribery is not the way of God. Then i dont see your light.

• Ajala & Foodie

September 7, 2018 at 5:02 pm

@Cocoa, Usually, I would not return to a post like this. I had said my piece and I have learned with BN, it is better to move on after that. Nevertheless, I knew you were going to come back for me, YEP!!! ” Stop making excuses for sin” First, please tell, how did I make excuse for sin? What did I say that was not based on Biblical truths? I purposely quoted Bible passage because I felt let me not just use logic here but explain where I am coming from based on the Bible we are both supposed to be living by.

Secondly, the example you had given you spoken about being the light and not partaking in bribery and letting those around you know you will not be a member to that if that should happen at your place of work. You even went further by saying “people have been fired”
      Now, I have put it out there that I have never seen the show, and I wish I could commit to watching it but nahhh, it is not that deep. The Stephen Colbert show that I watch and according to both Stephen Colbert and Yvonne herself, they both said she is doing exactly what you suggested i.e not partaking (the ground rules, Molly always being covered up), now maybe their definition of racy or nudity is totally different from yours (I dunno, never seen the show). Yvonne even thanked the producers for their willingness to work with her with regards to these rules. It is obvious you believe quitting the show is the only way to “do the right thing” but with the example you gave i,e on bribery you never mention asking people to quit, you just ask that they do not partake and that people “HAVE BEEN FIRED” NOT that people should QUIT, if their bosses/companies allow them to not partake of bribery. So why insist Yvonne quit the show???
      There in lies that hypocrisy I keep referring to. What makes Yvonne’s case different from the example you gave? This is exactly why I say we Christians can sometimes come across as judgmental, unrealistic and just plain old hypocrites.

No Cocoa, I agree you are not misguided, you just feel the need to be right. If people don’t meet your definition of what Christianity means i.e not what the Bible has indicated, then they are in your own words, either sinners and need to retrace their steps or in my case, lukewarm (Jugmental much???). I think you should be checking yourself and making sure you are not contradicting yourself because like I said to you in the past, you just make Jesus look like what he is definitely not. He does not contradict himself.

• dami

September 8, 2018 at 11:42 pm

@cocoa
      You are right. [email protected] doesn’t equate to purity. Yvonne is very cool, vivacious and fun to be around. And I admire how open she is about being a christian. I’ve known her since comedy days, then P4CM. And i’ve always been supportive of her.
      However, her character on insecure is quite opposite of what she proclaims to be. I understand it’s acting but as christians they are to be different from the world. Nonetheless, I’m just happy to see her excel.

3. Yvonne

September 6, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Only God knows those who are truly his.

4. Cocoa

September 6, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Yvonne..if you love Him..you will obey His commandments. No good tree produces bad fruit . Repent and retrace your steps sister. ( I plead with you. I almost cried when i watched that show)

Our God is a jealous God. There will be no mixing Him with the world. Light has no buisness in darkness. That show is darkness. It is not your ministry. God will NEVER approve that.

I know its difficult to book God honouring shows in that Hollywood. But remeber that it is betterto STARVE than serve the agenda of the devil. THE DEVIL HATES US, remember?

• Ajala & Foodie

September 6, 2018 at 6:13 pm

@ Cocoa, do you even read what you write? “Light has no business in darkness” There is NO light without darkness. A candle is useless unless placed in darkness. Like I said in my original response that BN and it’s moderators are using for flossing, we are called to be light in this world. Or what do you think the Bible means when it says it cannot be hidden. The light of a candle or lantern only shines in dark places, it is hidden in a lighted place. If only BN will post my response to you instead of sitting on it till God knows when. I really hope you are just misguided.

• Ajala & Foodie

September 6, 2018 at 6:46 pm

BTW 2 cor 6:14 does not say light has no business with darkness. Cos I know someone is about to quote that. But go read every single translation it does not say that. This is not Bible study but it is one of those misquoted Bible verses. That light and darkness are not the same does not mean light does not need darkness to shine

• didi

September 6, 2018 at 7:24 pm

Are you saying when a guy on a movie set is touching my breast, my light is shining? Or when i stripe naked in a movie it angels are rejoicing and God is saying weldone my daughter you are shining light in darkness? Loooollllllllllllllssssssss. Yvonne you seem like a nice person but you are getting uour whole life wrong dear. Ajala You know cocoa is right any how you put it.

• Ajala & Foodie

September 6, 2018 at 9:56 pm

@didi, I have never watched this insecure but if you followed the interview, she said she had ground rules and her role (Molly) is always covered up. Unless, you are telling me she was lying on national TV.

• Cocoa

September 7, 2018 at 8:42 am

I am not misguided. You as a child of God are sent out into the world to win souls for Christ…..you are not sent out there to become like them and partake in their sinful ways.

If Yvonne wants to evangelise in hollywood about sexual purity, it is not while she is doing sex scenes and engaging in ungodly dialogue on that show.

You say you want them to be free of sexual immorality but you give them content that helps them LUST and fall further into SIN.

God hates Double-mindedness.

Stop making excuses for sin, We are meant to be confessing our sins and seeking repentence. We are meant to be WEEPING over our sin and turning away from it. Not sitting COMFORTABLY IN IT.

Honestly my heart has been hurting for Yvonne. I pray she leaves that show and trusts God to meet her needs.

Say NO to LUKEWARM CHRISTIANITY.

5. TheRealist

September 7, 2018 at 6:55 am

@Cocoa, if you actually bothered to watch the series, you will quickly realize that she personally does NOT do any nude or racy scenes.

Meanwhile, I remain under the distinct impression that the religion that some of you folks always seem in a hurry to appropriate explicitly enjoins against judging other folk. SMH ?‍♀️

• Cocoa

September 7, 2018 at 8:55 am

The day i watched that show…she was having sex and she sure looked naked. That she was not naked on set doesnt mean anything. That the actor did not penetrate her doesnt mean anything.
      This is not content a godly woman should partake in. Everything about that show is darkness ,down to the language .

We are told not to judge as HYPOCRITES. I’m allowed to correct and even rebuke a sister i see gping the wrong way. I cant turn a blind eye…i will have to answer to God if i do. I also take correction and rebuke. Its a good thing. You cant do this Christian walk minding your business.

To love someone is to want the best for them. Yvonne deserves GOD’s best…that show is not it.