News

Ugandan President Museveni says: “The head of the home never goes into the kitchen”

President Yoweri Museveni of Uganda. (Photo by Hannah McKay – WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni has come under fire after saying that it isn’t the role of a man to cook and he’s never stepped into his kitchen since he got married.

Punch reports that Museveni, speaking in a statement on Sunday, said:

The head of the home never goes into the kitchen. It is now 45 years with Mama Janet. I have never stepped into the kitchen. That is how it should be.

Women in the country have however criticized him for his comments. Winnie Byanyima, Oxfam’s International Executive Director, said:

Cooking isn’t a woman’s job. It’s a life skill. All people — men and women — should cook.

When cooking, cleaning and doing other domestic chores are left to women, they are denied an equal chance to raise incomes or to be politically active.

Beatrice Alaso, a member of Forum For Democratic Change, an opposition party in the country, said:

Museveni has revealed to the world what he has always believed in: that women can never be the same as their male counterparts.

Photo Credit: Hannah McKay – WPA Pool/Getty Images

1. OA

November 5, 2018 at 10:35 pm

Is because hunger never waya you yet?!

2. Adenike

November 6, 2018 at 12:24 am

Ebi o ti pa e

3. Baybie

November 6, 2018 at 1:37 am

You say? You are not making sense sir!

4. seriously

November 6, 2018 at 4:30 am

His opinion, his life. Tell me more what you are doing to solve Uganda’s economic problems? Who cares what you do at home

5. I'mJustSayn'

November 6, 2018 at 4:45 am

idiot

6. Torch

November 6, 2018 at 4:52 am

I used to say men don’t ever really mean this. They say it but we don’t really mean it until I moved to America and had to live with my sister and her husband. Bobo yi will be talking about him cooking rice for breakfast when everyone is at home but MF gets home from work at 11, me and my sister work at the same place and we get back from work 7am. You want breakfast from us that just got back from 12hours shift?!!!!!!

• Lilo

November 6, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Mothers should just raise their sons. That’s it. Raise your sons the same way you raise your daughters.

7. fifi.

November 6, 2018 at 7:32 am

My husband pushed me repeatedly, dragged the pillow from underneath my head three times because I said I had a headache and I couldn’t cook for him. I hear you have to be married for 2 years before you can get a divorce. He apologized same night but that’s physical abuse isn’t it. That’s how it starts. I now know that physical abuse can happen to anyone. I haven’t even told anyone. I can’t. My whole body is aching me. Sigh.

• Bodunade

November 6, 2018 at 10:46 am

No you don’t. Please leave him now.

He is a monster for dragging your pillow.

He can kill.

Run girlll

• Radiant

November 6, 2018 at 11:20 am

So sorry for your experience. It’s scary for this to happen to anyone. I can’t think of any solutions. But I pray that God saved you. It hurts bad when people we decided to spend our lives with become “something else because of food.

• Mrs chidukane

November 6, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Wow! Was he joking or what? That’s really awful. My own husband can pack shit with his bare hands but would rather starve than cook. The most he can do is take food from the pot and that is only if hunger is really wiring him.

8. ec

November 6, 2018 at 8:26 am

his opinion. many feel that way

9. Lucci

November 6, 2018 at 2:24 pm

All these African Presidents…Sometimes I wonder who my continent offended! SMH…’we go de fine las las’

10. Amaka

November 6, 2018 at 3:40 pm

What a shame!!!!! Look at this ugly baboon. “Head of the home never goes to the kitchen,” MY ASS!!!!!

11. Engoz

November 6, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Lmao! He is right na and I support him o jare. Traditionally, men should not cook or even step into the kitchen, lmao. Traditional women should not complain.

12. Bowl

November 6, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Obsolete head.

13. demash

November 7, 2018 at 4:01 pm

seems I have lost the title “head of [email protected] then….oh well!