MBGN 2008 – AND THE WINNER IS….

Posted on Saturday, March 29th, 2008 at 12:14 AM

By BellaNaija.com

So the 21st edition of Silverbird’s Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria pageant – MBGN 2008 is over and a winner has been chosen and she is…
Before we get there, lets get a rundown of the event.

First up, it started a couple of hours late. By the time the girls hit the stage for a choreographed catwalk performance. You could tell that the crowd was restless.
The host of the event was Studio 53 presenter/Rhythm 93.7 radio DJ, IK better known as Wildchild. He was dressed appropriately for the event in a well-fitted Tux. He was eloquent throughout the night and coped well with some technical issues and moments of awkward silence from the crowd.

The ladies did their thing in their bikinis.
I was proud at that point. Not ‘cause I was excited by girls walking around the stage in bikinis or ‘cause they had the most killer bodies….nahhh
I was proud because Silverbird hasn’t fallen prey to the Size 0 phenom.
Make no mistake, these girls had real bodies!

Then the musical performances started.
Dare Art-Alade performed a song from his new album called ‘Carry Dey Go’. It’s a really new song that has only recently impacted radio so the crowd was a bit sceptical but Dare sold it well.
He was looking FINE!
His voice and pitch were on point.
Overall stage presence was great.

Rave of the moment, 9ice performed a new song from his album as well as his megahit, Gongo Aso. The girls came out and performed a choreographed dance with him during the latter song. Good performance. It def woke the crowd up!

Up next, P-Square! If 9ice woke up the crowd then P-Square picked them up, shook them and thrilled them till they could scream no more.
They unleashed their hits – ‘Do Me’ and ‘No One Like Me’. Everyone was singing and dancing along. Highly Impressive.

With musical performances over, the evening gown segment.
Only one dress stood out for me.
It was Miss Ekiti’s dress. It wasn’t the clichéd beauty queen garish gown.
It was a floor length halter neck dress with a pink bodice and a brown bust with a large bow at the nape of the neck. Some other dresses were nice but the usual beauty queen fare…

Finally the awards began:

Miss Nasarawa
Miss Kogi
Miss Edo
Miss Taraba
Miss Kwara
Miss Ebonyi

D’Banj, Wande Coal and the rest of the Mo Hits Crew – SID & D’Prince performed.
Wande kicked things off with a snippet of his hit ‘Ololufe’ and then the whole crew jumped in and performed ‘Booty Call’
D’Banj rocked a multicoloured striped shirt and a pair of fitted highwaisted trousers.
Overall, it was an energetic performance.

The outgoing queen, Munachi Abii did her exit walk dressed in a MOMO couture gown with a voiceover talking about her experience as well as thanking everyone.

Drumroll – The Winners along with the questions they were asked and their answers

Miss Edo – Top 5 – MBGN Model – 4th Runner up
SANDRA IDUGBOE – Edo (MBGN UK Contestant)
Greatest person who has walked the face of the earth?
My Mother. She has been there for me, she loved me even when she thought she was going to die, she taught me to respect myself and also taught others to respect themselves. Only if you respect yourself, other people will respect you.

Miss Nasarawa – Top 5 – MBGN Ecowas – 3rd Runner-up
UCHECHI EJIOGU – Nasarawa
If you come across people who have never heard of Nigeria, what will you tell them?
Nigeria is beautiful. Nigerians are big hearted. We represent our country. Nigeria is a beautiful ‘state’ to behold.

Miss Enugu – Top 5 – MBGN Tourism – 2nd Runner Up
URE OBOWU – Enugu
Why do you qualify to be MBGN?
Not just because I am beautiful. I am intelligent and eloquent, a good public speaker, I’m a God fearing person, have great passion for my country – the crowd loved her and went crazy when she spoke.

Miss Taraba – Top 5 – MBGN Universe – 1st Runner up
STEPHANIE OFORKA -Taraba
What qualities should MBGN 2008 possess?
MBGN 2008 should have a beautiful character, a wonderful character, an outgoing personality, and be humble to everyone.

And the WINNER – Adaeze Igwe Miss Anambra –MBGN World
Why are you proud of your state?
It’s the only state that has had problems and come out stronger in the end
One good thing about your state?
4 governors in 3 years
___________________________________________
AGE: 18
OCCUPATION: Student
HEIGHT: 5FT 8 Inches
STATE OF ORIGIN: Anambra
LANG: English & Igbo

That’s it for now! I will add pics when I get them.
I’m all dressed and going out now but just had to blog this!
So what do u think about the winner?
Let us know!!!

Be Sociable, Share!
  • Custom Search
  • 103 Comments on “MBGN 2008 – AND THE WINNER IS….”

Comments
    • Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 12:58 AM

First!!!
      Bella you are too much! they just finished the event some minutes ago and you have already updated us!
      The girl is pretty but I need to see more photos before I judge.

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 1:04 AM

She looks way better than that Munachi Abii with her huge nose.

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 1:07 AM

I thought that it would be a toss up between Stephanie Oforka and Adaeze Igwe. I thought Stephanie would win because she is tall and that is a plus in international competitions. Remember Miss China. Adaeze is tall, but not exceptionally tall.

• Hassan March 29, 2008 at 1:10 AM

C’mon Bella.. are u just great or wat?! Just finished watching the show and next thing u had a real update.. Keep it up girl. I never post comments on bloggers but had to do this to appreciate u.

Now to the show. The judges couldn’t be ‘righter’. Miss Anambra is just TOO BAM for the award.. looks, height, brains, sex appeal, body, strides, eloquence, … am I tripping here or wat?!!! Girl, Naija sure has a babe.
      I wish her the very best of reigns!

But wait a minute… silverbird coulda done better than give her a crown dat was falling off and she had to hold it on like wat the yoruba’s call ‘Oshuka’

• Pink-satin March 29, 2008 at 1:25 AM

wait i think the winner didnt answer her question intelligently!
      i made top 5..its a lie………first i want to thank my moda and my fada…my internet serivice provider..ati be be lo……..

• Pink-satin March 29, 2008 at 1:26 AM

bella did u go for the show ni!!d way u describe am e be like sey u were there!

• Pink-satin March 29, 2008 at 1:27 AM

8th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 1:44 AM

glad stephanie was chosen for miss universe. she looks pretty, she’s tall as well

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 1:45 AM

p.s. bella: thank u sooo much for the quick update

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 1:48 AM

LOL at pink satin

and yes,bella went but still gave us an update

back on track: the winner look pretty but something tells me she may not be all that in person

hope i’m wrong though.

• SKINDEEP 101 March 29, 2008 at 3:07 AM

yAY SHe’s IGBO!!! checkout my blog about skincare:

• lisa lisa March 29, 2008 at 4:25 AM

“UGH!!! miss anambra doens’t look impressive to me. morevover, she’s short (for a beauty queen to be anything less than 5’9″ is disaster)

unlike last year, these girls ALL answered (except for the winner **roll eyes**) their questions well it seems. last year’s girls seemed moronic”

i agree with what you said anonymous…i mean you think that they would get a clue from past winners with the height thing..but whatever… i don’t think she is gonna win but she might you never know

• Billiandi March 29, 2008 at 5:50 AM

c’mon ppl… there’s more to MBGN than height.

• Billiandi March 29, 2008 at 5:54 AM

c’mon ppl… there’s more to MBGN than height and this winner has got ‘em. I congratulate her.

• Paris March 29, 2008 at 6:38 AM

pls where did u watch d show? call me psychic but Y DID I KNOW THIS GIRL WAS GOING 2 WIN. SHES DEFINITELY PRETTY!

• chelle March 29, 2008 at 6:50 AM

that’s what’s up!!! I knew that she was going to win…go Anambra, we’re so hot!!!

thanks, bella

• Ohimai Amaize March 29, 2008 at 7:14 AM

Bella Nigezie! Great upload! Well I managed to watch the later part of the show…when the girls came out in their evening attires. They were all looking great but I really have a reservation regarding whatever criterion was used to select the biggest two winners – Miss Taraba and Miss Anambra. Was it beauty or intelligence? If it was beauty, oh yeah…agreed, they are beautiful but on intelligence, do you think the duo did better than the others, Miss Edo and Miss Enugu for instance?

On the compering, I think Wild Child would have done better if he had a female co-compere emceeing alongside.

And before I forget…I didn’t like the way the Queen – MBGN World had to hold the crown on her head like a basket of plantain! Bella, I think you should tell our to be careful the kind of hairstyles they do to pageants!

Great event altogether. Thumbs up to Silverbird!

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 8:58 AM

miss anambra cannot win miss world she is not tall, that crown belong to miss taraba. and i cant belive what miss nassarawa is doing their why didnt they pick miss kwara as top fine she is very pretty.

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 9:47 AM

To mis Adaeze Igwe, you are prety. Congratulations!Please stay off scandals. Lanre Nzeribe will be coming after you soon. I believe in you

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Bsby… That’s all i can say for now.

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 11:47 AM

I’m sorry, i meant, “Baby… That’s all i can say for now.”

• Unbiased March 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM

The winner just ooozes sex apeal but i seem to quite like the first runner up more. Maybe there will be something in the other pic. lol!
      Bella love can you get videos of the event? Puleeeeze (blink blink)

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I love that Dare Art Alade “carry dey go”- I love the video with him and Tuface.. Did Tuface also perform it as well with him ?

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

it shud’ve have been miss enugu Ure Obowu!!!!!!!!!

• Nwanyi Ocha March 29, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Anambra Won Whooooooo!!!

Bella thanks for the detailed description

Congratulations to Adaeze – hope she represents her state and country proudly.

• IfyChi March 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM

nwata mara mma. sweet.

• Chineze Osayi March 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM

adaeze igwe looks like christina milan. (the african-american actress and songstress.)

• Oluwayemisi Bello March 29, 2008 at 3:43 PM

yeah has to say this,bella u’re too much,dats a +1 for u “quickie”.watched the Beauty Contest thanks to u bcos i 1st found out that it was going to take place yesterday frm ur blog but agreed wth u they commenced a bit later…
      The girls are lovely maybe lovlier than 1 anoda though I’m happy for the new MBGN but I wuddav prefered the 1st runner up,like some1 said ” also, internationally, judges tend to DISLIKE light-skinned women from africa. they almost always go for the dark”.She looks beautiful though like the past 1,Munachi Abii but the Miss Taraba looks more qualified(she’s got the height,the kool and the courage…those are the 3 things I fancied in her all thru while she was been questioned and not to forget the beauty,I like her forhead-wat yorubas call “OPON” and the way her eyes are and of course her dark skin,lovely).Also I agreed wth Pink-Satin abut the winner,she didnt answer her question properly where she was asked how do u feel winning and she gave “I made the top five bla bla bla..
      Anyways watching it made my day..1 love every1,ciao!!!

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 5:32 PM

i’ve been reading comments all over the internet (outside the nigerian community) about the contestants (both before and after the contest was held and the winner was decided)

almost EVERYONE so far adores miss taraba and many like miss ogun, akwa-ibom and miss nassarawa more

looking at more pics now, yes, miss anambra is pretty but the abovementioned overshadow her IMO

good luck to them both anyways

unfortunately, doesn’t look as though MBGN pageant learned from last year’s mistake (short, light-skinned girls don’t cut it usually)

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 5:35 PM

The winner is physically pretty, but she will not win at the international level. While she is pretty, she is not international beauty pageant material. She looks like the girl next door, which is fine.

Judges at the MBGN contest need to begin thinking about what will it take for Nigeria to win at the international level and not just limit their thinking to the borders of the country. I suggest they peruse the internet to see the calibre of women that other countries are sending to the international competitions that will be held later this year. Miss Spain and Puerto Rico are no joke and there are others.

A light-skinned African confuses judges at the international level. They seem not to know what to make of that because they stupidly think that all Africans must be dark. Almost all Black women of any country that have won international beauty pageants have been dark to brown. This does not mean that a light-skinned Black woman cannot compete. It does mean she has to not be average in other areas such as height, which this Adaeze Igwe is. Height is an important factor at the international level. Average to short heights do not cut it unless you are so exceptional. Look at how China finally sent a tall Chinese woman and won Miss Universe 2007. Of course, she was beautiful, polished, poised, and elegant which only enhanced her fantastic height.

Silverbird needs to look at what formula has worked in the past for Nigeria. Agbani Darego is a starting point. This does not mean that they have to select only women that look like her, but it is a framework that can be used, tweeked, and adjusted. If you examine Agbani Darego’s pictures when she won and then compare it with the current and past international winners of beauty pageants such as the current Miss Universe, who is Chinese, and the Austrailian women that won that crown a few years ago, you will start to see a trend. Also, coupled with their physical attributes these women have that extra intangible “something”.

Silverbird needs to scout contestants in addition to holding open calls. The Nigerian women that meet international standards do not always have the means to make it to open calls or may not even know that there is an open call. Scouting will improve the quality of participants.

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 5:36 PM

miss ekiti was robbed BTW…absolutey stunning!!!

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 8:12 PM

I find it hilarious that people are saying that Adaeze Igwe is too “Light” to win at the international level. First, people complain that light skinned people get too much attention and are always favored to win competition, but here is an instance where it appears that her fair skin may work against her…poor girl probably can’t catch a break! Skin color should not be the reason to pick a winner in the MBGN contest (light or dark it shouldn’t)..all those saying that they should have selected the darker girl are simply wrong!! She won, she is beautiful and charming! She can not control her complexion!

• shola pacheco March 29, 2008 at 9:25 PM

kai, unbiased i tot it was just me, i think the runner up looked more like a queen, but am sure the judges saw something more in the crowned queen anyways hope she lives up to the expectation,

great work bella keep it up

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Why is is taht only light skinned ladies win these contests in Nigeria? Its all part of the subliminal messages that we get all over the media that lighter skin is better. She is just like any regular babe. nothing unique. and as for u number 2, munachi didn’t create herself and u cannot create a human so don’t comment on her huge nose. i am sure u av ur own faults too.

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 10:29 PM

She is ok, I just hope she is not as saucy as last yeaR one because munachi Abii was a big mistake and did not impress me at all.i heard munachi is very rude too with that her big nose!Off you go MBGN 2007 and never to see your face again! I hope Ada does better, stay pretty and be down to earth. You again respect when you respect others

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 10:32 PM

I heard munachi abii wants to rap? i will not buy your music or film and i will tell all my friends, friends friends and families not to buy anything in your name. I hope Ada doesnt go into rap or act because true queens dont do this.

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 10:34 PM

anon @9:17

Munachi’s nose is big and if she doesn’t want anyone to comment on it, then she should not be in beauty competitions. As far as I am concerned she is an example of how being light-skinned is used to excuse away jacked-up features.

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 10:40 PM

to all the queens, just remember where you came from. we brought you out of the ghetto so please respect people. since munachi abii doesnt respect people, we need to take her back to the ghetto where she belongs. off you go MBGN 2007!!!!

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 10:44 PM

did munachi abii complain that we dont like her nose? if she cant take critism, she should be in competitions. i wonder why she entered the thing in the first place. just vamuzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!! welcome Ada! Hope you do a better job please

• Anonymous March 29, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Good luck Ade MBGN 2008. That munachi abii rude attitude is anoying.i saw it live at the hip hop award and she was indeed very rude….

• Sugabelly March 29, 2008 at 11:53 PM

Is it just me, or is Nigeria promoting this idea that ‘you have to be FAIR to be BEAUTIFUL’?

Seriously, I see it happen all the time. Two girls walk into a room, both equally stunning, but the fair one gets all the attention.

When I was in school, the fair girls were automatically classed hot, beautiful, sexy, etc.

Is it just me?

• Kpakpando March 29, 2008 at 11:59 PM

bella sometimes I don’t know which part of your blog is juicier, the entires or the comments from your ITK psychic commenters. Na wa for all the dissertations here o!

I sha want silvabehd to do better with that rinky dink website they’re trying to pass off as professional.

• Anonymous March 30, 2008 at 3:37 AM

not attacking anyone. just saying that history shows that international judges do NOT favour light-skinned girls

if indeed a lighter-complexioned lady wins fairly…then so be it

but from all reports, the first runner up was more deserving but hey, i guess i wasn’t there to judge for myself

i still wish them luck

• Anonymous March 30, 2008 at 1:14 PM

why cant munachi rap or act if she wants too!!! she will rap and only her mama and her papa go buy CD..LOL!! but seriously she can do what she wants ..this competition has opened many doors for her (so let her do what the heck she wants) Halle Berry and Vanessa Williams are true examples of Beauty queens making it outside their genre….WHATEVER!!
      anyhooo to the winner, she has a big nose? so what? they must find something to say ….she is light skinned? so what? she is short? so what?

pls pls pls she did not ask to be created like this…abeg make nna free the girl…if she does/does not do well internationally, lets hope she can use her status to chnge a few lives, which is the most important thing!!

well done to Ada!! i love miss Ekiti…ok I am being biased ..SHOOT ME

• Anonymous March 30, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Munachi is pretty with or without her big nose…
      When Miss Enugu answered her question I really thought she was going to win!….but i guess Adaeze is prettier..but brains??

• africa entertainment and sports March 30, 2008 at 6:28 PM

This is sensational;outrightly unbelievable!You are hereby crowned,Most Beautiful Blog in Nigeria (MBBN)

• Anonymous March 30, 2008 at 6:46 PM

if an Ed girl wasnt in the top 5..i for start fite!!!..lol…shez aiii…duno abt tht her answer too well tho:s

• Dee March 30, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Ah my igbo sister won! love it!
      I think everyone looked really gorgeous in the pageant , light skin, dark skin hoohaa! who cares! we are all beautiful!

• Anonymous March 30, 2008 at 8:09 PM

d show is on now on silverbird tv so go watch guys

• Anonymous March 31, 2008 at 3:30 AM

Nowhere close.

Congratulations to the winner. Hopefully, she makes a good queen. By the way, what do they do in the society that’s prominent?

Thanks bella for the pronto update.

• Anonymous March 31, 2008 at 5:39 AM

Nose monitor, pray your child bearing years are over.

• Anonymous March 31, 2008 at 8:17 AM

lol da girl don commot for HI-5, very smart considering da new Celeb status..lol..anyways.

look like christina milian? 4 where? how? please da ada don fine her past!

• Shubby Doo March 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Miss Anambra’s answer was unintelligent…I concur with some above the winner should have been Miss Taraba…forget the light skin issue, IMO Stephanie Oforka simply radiated sha!

• Anonymous March 31, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Congrats to the winner and good job by silverbird. She’s a pretty girl but i would have loved to see her rock a more natural look, instead of the dark fake eyebrows, too much make-up etc. afterall, natural beauty is our biggest selling point as africans.
      AND AS ALWAYS, GOOD JOB BELLA!!!
      xx

• Uzo March 31, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Not too intererested in this event but did i see some girl wearing elbow length gloves?

• The good anonymous March 31, 2008 at 5:59 PM

See wetin Victoria Beckham don cause. Since when did naija girls start pouting?

• uNWrItten* March 31, 2008 at 6:42 PM

yes yes!! ms anambra!! yay!!..thats how we do..! lol
      love her answer 4 governors in 3 years..hehehe

• Anonymous March 31, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Thats right!…….Ms Anambra won!….She is representing us!…..Ndi Ibo KWENU……KWEZUE NU!

• Anonymous March 31, 2008 at 8:10 PM

dont hate me coz am lite skinned hate me coz ur man thinks so!!!..hahahahahah..stop hatin all of u!!!

• Anonymous March 31, 2008 at 8:45 PM

In my opinion, i think the jugdes did well. They learnt from last years mistake that action is better than voice. Look at munachi abii, with all her talks, in the end she was dating different men, i had the girl is razz in Lagos, you may not believe it but even her own cousin commented on her attitude. Stephanie may sound intelligent but the way she said it but off the judges. The way she talked sounded very like munachi and i believe she wouldnt have been a good choice because she sounds rude. Adaeze is pretty, down to earth, innocent and the right canditate that can show good examples to nigerian youth.

• Anonymous March 31, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Mind you, the most beautiful girls in Nigeria are somewhere in the world hidding. You also have to realise that a lot of families in Nigeria are still very conservative and most descent girls will never take part in such! Its part of our culture that will remain. Have you seen beautiful fulani girls??? MBGN my ass!

• Anonymous March 31, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Na wa for dat Munachi abii girl o! Every one seems to hate that girl… stardom sickness will soon put her back to the ghetto she belongs

• Thoughts Aloud March 31, 2008 at 11:04 PM

I guess I’m good.It was mos def’ the girl I picked that came first.GO Anambra, represent us o jare.Congrats my dear:). Bella u’re on a roll.THis ur Naija runs is good, see as u’re just giving us gists left and right.Well done o

• Anonymous March 31, 2008 at 11:59 PM

anon @5:39
      your child bearing years are over.

• Anonymous April 1, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Stephanie Oforka will still represent Nigeria at Miss Universe, which is more well known in the Western Hemisphere. So all is not lost for her or those that wanted her to win.

• Anonymous April 1, 2008 at 12:26 AM

lol sugabelly, i dont remember any fair girls being classed as automatically beautiful in school. abeg describe them so you dont have to mention names lol. more like they were beautiful b/c they were popular or had money or whatever

• Vera Ezimora April 1, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Go Anambra!!!

Okay, I can now proudly proclaim my State. But wait, we had 4 Governors in 3 yrs? LOL. Didn’t even know that.

• Anonymous April 1, 2008 at 1:17 AM

like i said in the previous post…anambra girls are TOO HOT..plus they’ve got the brains…she is the prettiest and smartest and deserved to win..height or no height..end off!

• Anonymous April 1, 2008 at 7:21 AM

Laughing at nose monitor.abi, when her child has a big burriful nose like Munachi, it will be the universe saying, back at you.some people can be sooo ugly.Munachi is pretty by any standards.

Anyway I think the new queen is pretty.

• Anonymous April 1, 2008 at 2:22 PM

as far as i know, i think the judges made a good choice. they finaly realised munachi abii was a big mistake!Munachi was just too razz for MGBN! Congrats to Adaeze, she seems nice and down to eat with real smiles.

• Anonymous April 1, 2008 at 2:33 PM

What a disappointment. I thought there were far pretty girls than this winner like Miss Benue and Miss Taraba but then again, i guess the judges saw something that i did not see- well, they spent two weeks with these girls

• Anonymous April 1, 2008 at 2:53 PM

lol all you Anambra people claiming her. She’s from Enugu!

• Anonymous April 2, 2008 at 4:54 AM

anon @7:21

Munachi has a big nose and she is NOT pretty by every standard. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I do not behold a person that is anything to write home about. My idea of beautiful women are people like Jessica White, Kenya Moore, Naomi Campbell, and Genevieve Nnaji. They have impeccable, symmetrical features and oh yes, nice noses straight noses. Not that bolbous, shapeless thing on Munachi’s face. And in case you were wondering, I have a beautiful, straight nose and it is one feature that men admire about me in addition to my beautiful height, high cheekbones, and figure. If it makes you feel better, I think Munachi has nice…hmm…eyebrows and eye-shape. I just don’t like her nose. Period. And stop worrying about what my childrens’ nose will look like. I’m sure they will come out looking way better than anyting you give birth to.

• Apmis April 2, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Hi bella,
      I know this should really not go here, I believe your comments are moderated.But I have no other means of passing this across. Omar from Apprentice Africa would be doing an exclusive interview on my blog http://the-apprentice-africa.blogspot.com
      I wanted you to help promote it and also get questions from your readers that they would love to ask about him and apprentice africa as a whole. Would be glad if you could do a post on this and I would appreciate a link too.
      Thanks
      Apmis
      apmis28@gmail.com

• pam April 2, 2008 at 6:46 PM

the pageant doesnt send any message about light skinned girls being prettier… take an aggregate of ex beauty queens… its a mixed bag. were helen prest, nike oshinowo or agbani darego light skinned? if anything they would go for the agbani formula over and over again… shes not light skinned…

I think munachis photos dont do her justice. she is extremely pretty in the flesh. who says beauty queens cant rap?

Thats why I love this blog… the comments are crazy

as for the comment on natural looks… yeah the weaves and make up can look too heavy but ironically naija pageants are as natural as you get these days… in some other countries cosmetic surgery of some sort is a given for most of the contestants… at the level of miss universe and miss world… boob jobs, nose jobs, lipo, you name it… its there…

• Anonymous April 2, 2008 at 9:35 PM

People, you seem to forget that we africans have a good culture and I am afraid that this culture may soon be affected by western influence which will lead to dissaster in the near future. If you look at the show, some of you will agree with me that there was nothing african about it! too much of the western style, example the dresses, cat walk, skinny girls, too much mackup, etc. A lot of girls in the west are sufering from bulimia and eating dissorder due to teenagers trying to copy stars and models and the governments of these countries have no control over this as of present. I am not saying we shouldnt be civilized or be opened but we have the opportunity to learn from mistakes and take the best out of all.

I am afraid for future nigerian youths! I am scared that this is where we are leading to which says that you have to be skinny to be beautiful(indirectly).What ever happened to those big beautiful african ass??? And mind you, we are NOT Americans neither are we Europeans, we are nigeria, Africans. If munachi Abii goes rapping (besides other razz behaviours durining her tenure), what next for MBGN girls in 10 years from now? I think african culture is beautiful and natural and we should try to preserve that! Why copy others that are not healthy at all? If we really stick to our culture, you will find that Hausa and fulani girls will start coming forward to participate. Some of you may not agree with me now but wait and see what happens 20 years from now….

DO IT THE AFRICAN WAY!

• Chameleon April 3, 2008 at 1:45 AM

i think she’s stunning

• Anonymous April 5, 2008 at 11:52 AM

I’m happy she won. Didnt watch the show to know if she had any faults but she went to the same seconadry school for 2 years(she left in ss1) & she has always been a sweetheart. she really knows how to make pple laugh…..

• Anonymous April 5, 2008 at 11:35 PM

whoever said miss anambra is from enugu, you are actually wrong. she is from anambra

• sheeka April 6, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Igbo girls are tooo FYNE!!!

• Anonymous April 7, 2008 at 8:20 PM

why isn’t the winner or runner up going to miss ecowas?

• Anonymous April 19, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Erm….why are people complaining that she is light skinned? Most of the recent winners have been dark. You know what? Nigeria is a country full of variation, being dark does not give you some exclusive right to represent Nigeria or Africa. The light skinned look of an Igbo or Fulani, is just as Nigerian as a dark skinned person.

Is she Nigerian? Then she has the right to represent her country.
      First people complain about skin, then they shun a fuller African nose……….
      Make up your mind.

• Anonymous April 21, 2008 at 6:09 PM

i think that the winner might be kool but there were other very good looking girls with stunning bodies,like miss plateau, miss gombe and especially miss lagos.their bodies are really beautiful

• Anonymous April 21, 2008 at 6:13 PM

i happened 2 follow d show from when the girls got 2 camp and i followed it all the way thru.this year majority of d girls were pretty but i dont know about character though.i dont think that silverbird wud put their bad sides on air though

• Anonymous May 25, 2008 at 5:57 PM

most beautiful girl in nigeria my feet. there are millions of more beautiful girls in naija.i think that after agbani darego’s time the whole of silverbird went crazy and have lost focos of what TRUE beauty should be.

• Anonymous May 25, 2008 at 6:01 PM

pple……….how can MBGN stand up 2 say that florence ita-giwa is her role model? did she do it as a way of gaining favours or is she politicing?

• Anonymous May 25, 2008 at 6:06 PM

TOO BAD 4 HER ANYWAYS, BARELY A WEEK AFTER SHE ANNOUNCES ITA-GIWA AS HER ROLE MODEL IN A SOCIAL GATHERING IN LAGOS, YARADUA DROPS ITA-GIWA AS SPECIAL ADVISER TO HIM ON SENATE MATTERS.

• Anonymous May 25, 2008 at 6:10 PM

I think the crown was falling off her head after she was crowned because it really didnt belong to her. now that is a VERY bad OMEN, lets see how she does for the remaining 10 months of her reign.

• Anonymous July 3, 2008 at 8:03 AM

hey bella..this is a nice blog u have on here..

got any tips or assistance for me..im an mbgn 2009 hopeful..

what advice can u give me..eho can i talk to..im soo clueless right now.

• BeDaZzLeD Photography July 10, 2008 at 6:56 PM

awww my cousin… won. How did I miss this post.

• Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 5:51 PM

stephanie oforka was looking like a pretty doll(facially) for the miss universe beauty contest.sumone tell me why the hell stephanie couldn’t loose some weight for the contest. she hed CHRISTIAN MOTHER arms and it was an awful sight. i guess that you(stephanie) have proven yourself to be unworthy of reping naija girls. u no try at all abeg.

• Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 5:55 PM

hmmm bedazzled so u think that as slim as u are, u cud be mbgn? well keep ur hopes up though and get ready 2 give up urself for mbgn 2009.

• Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

as for u who has ur hopes up for mbgn 2009 i hope the you are aware of what it truly entails? it antails plenty of sleeping around baby and i tell u the hottest bitch takes it all.GOODLUCK.

• Anonymous August 8, 2008 at 2:32 PM

On the height factor, their are many women who are not exceptionally tall that have won, especially the women who won for India, e.g Priyanka Chopra.

• Anonymous December 10, 2008 at 12:39 PM

she sure deserves the crown all props to the judges great job they did…
      plz bella help me out here..was there eva an MBGN winner that won and later gave up her crown?…if yes whats her name and the name of the succesor..tanks in anticipation of ur reply..talktokome@yahoo.com

• Anonymous December 20, 2008 at 6:42 AM

[b]Merry Christmas!!!!![/b]
      We pray that you and your family continue to experience God’s blessings throughout this festive season, where we celebrate Christ.

Take a break and [b]check out[/b] our [b]Xmas video greetings[/b] on: [url]http://www.lagosriviera.com/merryxmas.html[/url]

[b]Feel free to join our FaceBook Group on: [/b][url]http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=47599084922[/url]

[i][b]Visit the links below to learn more about Riviera Garden[/b][/i]

[b]Event Packages: [/b]
      [url]http://www.lagosriviera.com/packages.html[/url]

[b]Services we offer: [/b]
      [url]http://www.lagosriviera.com/services.html [/url]
      [url]http://www.lagosriviera.com/eventwebs.html [/url]

[b]Address: [/b]1451 Raji Rasaki Rd (Off Amuwo/Festac Link Rd)
      Amuwo Odofin,
      Lagos, Nigeria

[b]The Riviera Garden Team[/b]

[b]Tel: [/b]0702-948-2882, 1-407-7543
      [b]Email: [/b]rivieragarden@gmail.com
      [b]Web: [/b][url]http://www.lagosriviera.com [/url]

• Anonymous December 20, 2008 at 6:43 AM

[b]Merry Christmas!!!!![/b]

[i][b]Visit the links below to learn more about Riviera Garden[/b][/i]

[b]Event Packages: [/b]
      [url]http://www.lagosriviera.com/packages.html[/url]

[b]Services we offer: [/b]
      [url]http://www.lagosriviera.com/services.html [/url]
      [url]http://www.lagosriviera.com/eventwebs.html [/url]

[b]Address: [/b]1451 Raji Rasaki Rd (Off Amuwo/Festac Link Rd)
      Amuwo Odofin,
      Lagos, Nigeria

[b]The Riviera Garden Team[/b]

[b]Tel: [/b]0702-948-2882, 1-407-7543
      [b]Email: [/b]rivieragarden@gmail.com
      [b]Web: [/b][url]http://www.lagosriviera.com [/url]

• [...] Check out BN’s coverage of MBGN 2008 HERE [...]

• lulu March 25, 2009 at 11:21 AM

do you mean that ‘bolbous,shapeless thing ‘ God created as opposed to the ‘beautiful, straight nose’ you gave yourself when you where born?

• lulu March 25, 2009 at 11:26 AM

it’s just you
      ;-D

• PLATO April 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I beliv ADA deserved tow win. we are complainin of racism and tribalism but some of want ADA to lose bcos of d color of her skin

• THE AMAKA July 30, 2009 at 9:31 AM

this post is old and over a year old but come on now. MBGN needs to go and Miss Nigeria needs to come back. the competition was more fierce and real back then. it seems 2007 was okay (another light skinned pore skin tone, horrilbe featured, bad attitude, wannabe rapper, thinking she’s better than everybody, arrogant girl won.) im from Imo State and so is Munachi and im ashamed that she won. she has disgraced our state. that Rubbish girl!
      2008 was not that great (another light skinned girl, this time short and her answers to both questions were like “WTF???”) and is it me or does it seem like the winners went from the lightest to the darkest in the top 5? miss 2009 was even worst than the last year and bella didnt even give us that much of a rundown on the winner, the runner ups, the event, what the evening and swim wear looked like.
      i mean it was totally slacking.
      but whatever though. i PRAY 2010 is better.
      PLEASE!!!

• uju March 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM

she deserved it…she lit up the house n she’s beautiful.