They Call Her Ghana’s ‘Christie Brown’

It’s always been our tradition at Bella Naija to spotlight designers from various African countries. We did that we our Africa Fashion Week. Now that we have a platform we intend on doing even more!
Earlier this year, Aisha Obuobi presented the first ever collection from her label ‘Christie Brown’. The label is named after her grandmother and who inspired her to sew!
Nothing avant-garde about these clothes, just good old Ankara sewn right. Simple styles that work. We love that she used models with different body types as well!
All the best to Aisha, we hope to see ‘Christie Brown’ blossom.
Photo Credit: Nana Kofi Acquah

The designer, Aisha Obuobi

The designer, Aisha Obuobi

14 Comments on They Call Her Ghana’s ‘Christie Brown’
  • Sharone December 11, 2008 at 7:30 am

The latest craze is becoming a fashion designer…get some pieces of ethnic looking material, sew them up, stick a name on it, get someone to model it and bam! you’re a fashion designer…i’m getting a bit bored now, really!

• Ofilispeaks July 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm

ha! If it is so easy why don’t you go and do it?

• maki December 11, 2008 at 10:14 am

hmm,there’s one of those fabrics up there that i have which i actually made into a similar style-but my own design,of course!does that make me a designer too?lol

anyway,on a more serious note,i dont necessarily have a problem with the whole ‘everyone is a designer-craze’.what actually annoys me is the price-tags they put on their clothes!i mean,i can honestly make exactly the same thing with my tailor @ half or quarter the price!if the whole idea is to make our local fabrics into ready-to-wear outfits,i think they should be more reasonably priced and affordable.

• maki December 11, 2008 at 10:26 am

i must admit though,the styles are really nice n the models are gorge!very wearable,nothing too over-the-top….

• Anuli December 11, 2008 at 3:58 pm

What most “new age fashion designers” do is ‘rip the runway’ and though I see nothing wrong with this,I would appreciate it if they could mention where the inspiration came from especially when they are not the original owners of the design..its like Plagiarising!

No hating on this article though as I appreciate her simplicity in making the fabrics come alive in these beautiful pieces..although my respect still goes to Deola S for creativity, I see a sence of design and style in every woman..how we represent or reflect it is a totally different subject….

• sally December 11, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Just okay. Nothing spectacular. And I echo earlier comments as well, especially in terms of creativity and pricing. I understand the need to “brand” but I can’t stand that a lot of young, upcoming Nigerian designers charge in the region of $100 – $140 or so for simple dresses. I’m using a rough exchange rate of 120 naira/dollar, so #12,000-#17,000, if not more. I’ll pass, thanks. It makes no damn sense, especially since my tailor charges me a maximum of $20 for my most elaborate designs. And it’s not as if I’ll walk into a room and someone’ll notice I’m wearing so and so designer right away…so what’s their unique selling point? They should carry go jo. I’m all for supporting budding entrepreneurs but I’m not paying ridiculous amounts for no damn ankara dress. In fact, getting me to pay $120 for a well-known established brand (e.g. Marc Jacobs) takes a lot of coaxing…and I usually tend to run to ebay to see if I can get further discounts, lol. Ankara ko, ankara ni. I understand options are limited in terms of affordable ready-to-wear clothes in Lagos. Someone needs to fill that niche, like, yesterday.

P.S. Bella and team, would you be kind enough to do a post on where to shop in Lagos this December + events and designers to be on the lookout for when we’re there? Thanks!

• jo December 12, 2008 at 6:24 am

i concur with Sharone’s comment . The designs are neither innovative nor creative . However they look well made and pretty stylish – albeit looks like she got a Glamour mag and simply replicated the designs in in African print or Ankara. Its kind everywhere now Jewel by Lisa, Sika designs, Peridot and Ruby etc ….all the same – but i applaud the young lady for starting..she can only get better – and for a newbie she did well – plenty plenty room for improvement…with time she’ll find her niche…Good luck my Ghanian sister………for any other ‘wanna b designers’ (myself included) – keep it simple, stylish, creative and cost effective (hey that’s a niche) :)

• jolaoluwa December 12, 2008 at 2:08 pm

i think the outfits are really nice and well made and stylish!
    there is nothing new under the sun except you want her to design unwearable clothes with futuristic(e.t.c) and overly creative design(like the ones we see on paris and NY runways) then this is as good as it gets! look at miacheal Kors fall ’08 collection…wearable nice clothes too..nothing out of the ordinary and this is a noted fashion designer!! Except if she is a costume designer then i believe she is on d right track

• ijawgirl December 13, 2008 at 12:21 am

pretty dresses,plus they’re very wearable.thanks Bella.

• nike December 13, 2008 at 12:09 pm

i concur,and i love michael kors!!!

• mimi January 11, 2009 at 10:12 pm

i’m just glad to see africans finally owning an industry to which they’ve contributed so much but never really benefited from. well done to her!

• Olamild February 1, 2009 at 3:18 pm

How do we reach Aisha or even place orders?
    Is she based in the US or Ghana?

• richard September 23, 2009 at 8:02 am

I am happy to see my school mate from Morning Star succeed in the world fashion. I would be really excited that you leave your foot prints on the streets of Paris, New York and London. I would also encourage you to also include more Western fabrics in your clothing line in order to appeal to the Western societies.

• obi ibeku March 30, 2010 at 11:33 am

simple,modern and exciting! the ideal dress code for nigerian undergraduates. university managers pse take note!