BN Skin Deep Series: “The Rash That Changed My Life”…Living with Psoriasis

BN Skin Deep Series is a 3 piece series which aims to provide an intimate account into the lives of people with various skin conditions (Vitiligo, Psoriasis and Albinism). The aim of this series is to create awareness of these conditions and help people both understand and appreciate the realities of living with these skin conditions. The final part on  Albinism will be published next week

My name is Glory Edozien and I have a skin condition called Psoriasis. I wasn’t born with it. It just appeared one morning on my skin like a bad rash. At first I thought nothing of it until the rashes started to join together and began forming huge scaly scab-like features on my skin. At one point the itching got so bad, I had to start taking sleeping medication as nothing else could help. I was mortified and scared. This happened when I was 22 years old. Up until then I had perfect skin. Perfect like Joy Girl kind of skin. People would stop me on the road to ask me what cream I used and would be very disappointed when I told them I had no specific skin care routine.

I remember one of my cousins would get so frustrated with me because I never needed to use any kind of foundation. All I needed for a night out was white powder and eye liner and I was set. Today it is a different story. Different because there is hardly any part of my skin that isn’t covered with some form of rash or scar from the aftermath of Psoriasis. The transition from perfect skin to what I am today hasn’t been entirely easy.

What is Psoriasis?

Although not contagious, Psoriasis is a chronic, autoimmune disease that appears on the skin. It occurs when the immune system sends out faulty signals that speed up the growth cycle of skin cells. In other words instead of your skin to shed off dead skin cells in the normal cycle of 28-30days, with Psoriasis patients it takes only 3 to 4 days for skin to mature and instead of falling off (shedding), the cells pile up on the surface of the skin, forming psoriasis lesions.

As with many skin disorders, the direct cause of Psoriasis isn’t known. However Scientists believe that people inherit the genes which create a predisposition to psoriasis, but not everyone who inherits the gene is likely to develop the disease. Researchers also believe that for a person to develop psoriasis, the individual must have a combination of the genes that cause psoriasis and be exposed to specific external factors known as “triggers.” These triggers can be anything from stress, injury to skin, certain forms of medication and infections.

Types of Psoriasis

There are five types of psoriasis:

Plaque Psoriasis

Guttate Psoriasis

Other forms of Psoriasis include inverse, pustular and erythrodermic.

The most common form, plaque psoriasis, appears as raised, red patches covered with a silvery white buildup of dead skin cells, (scale). Psoriasis can occur on any part of the body and is associated with other serious health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease and depression.

As well as the typical skin forms of Psoriasis I also have scalp psoriasis. This I’ve had from quite a young age but I always thought it was severe dandruff. No matter how many times I washed my hair, it would be full of dandruff in only a matter of days. I remember my parents being so frustrated, they chopped off all my hair hoping that the time between the old and new hair growth would give my scalp time to breathe, thus eliminating the dandruff. They were wrong. The flakes grew as each inch of my hair grew back.

The sad part was when ever people saw me they thought “why is this girl so dirty, “can’t she wash her hair”. I got tired of explaining that I had only come out of the salon 3 days ago. One time when I was in secondary school, all my class mates concluded that I must have some sort of fungus growing on my scalp. So they would carry their mattresses outside to sun dry it, if I ever sat on their beds or get very angry if I as much as touched their belongings. Today I look back at it all with a smile. I am not angry. If anything those experiences made me the woman I am today. Strong and confident. Besides, we were all kids back then acting out of ignorance.

Living with Psoriasis

I think for me the hardest part of it all was coping with the self esteem. People staring at you all the time or not wanting to sit near you for fear of ‘catching’ anything, it was really quite difficult. Even having a simple sleepover at a friend’s house could keep me awake for days. I would keep on thinking how would I explain to them about my skin, hoping they wouldn’t feel uncomfortable. Even having a boyfriend was an issue. Because I felt no guy would ever want to date someone with this kind of disorder. But I don’t bother myself with all that heartache now.

Another hard part is the amount of drugs and creams one has to try. With Psoriasis there isn’t any known cure (yet) and what works for one patient might not work for another. So you have to find out what therapy works best to control the skin replication process. Sometimes I feel especially sad for my dear mother. The amount of traditional/home made remedies she has had to buy for me. At one point I had to tell her to stop. I started feeling like a lab rat going through various drug trials. Today I have found a drug/cream regime that helps me manage the condition effectively. However, people still stop me on the road to tell me of some miracle cream that can ‘cure’ me. I just smile and say ‘thank you’.

Today I am who I am and I am unbelievably happy in my own skin. I know God does not give us more than we can bear. For some reason, He knows I can handle this particular trial. Without a doubt, this skin disorder has made me learn the hard way how to grow, through much difficulty, into a confident woman. I know who I am and I love myself without reserve. No one on this planet can make me feel less of myself without my permission and they do not have that permission! I realized that people only got uncomfortable around me when I was uncomfortable with myself. Today, if I see some staring and they approach me, I’ll explain to them so they feel comfortable. It really does not affect me anymore.

However, I have realized that there is a downside to my self belief. While being confident is very necessary, it also leads to a place of acceptance where I am unwilling to try new remedies or go for the various healing meeting I have been invited for. I find myself praying more for the health needs of others and I had to make a mental note the other day to pray more for my own healing.

I think my self confidence even grew more when I learnt that runway model Alek Wek also suffered from psoriasis. I remember reading once, how her mother would scrape off the lesions on her skin with a knife and she would bleed. Even America’s Next Top Model, Cycle 7 winner CariDee has also revealed her ongoing battle with Psoriasis. So I know I am not alone in my battle, if these women could overcome, why should I hide underneath baggy cloths for the rest of my life? It also doesn’t hurt having a wonderful family. Without doubt my parents, cousins, uncles, aunties and friends have showered me with so much love and strength it is impossible to feel sorry for myself.

My advice to anyone suffering from psoriasis or anything else that affects their self confidence is simple. If whatever is affecting your self confidence can be changed, then do something about it. If it can’t, then begin to dig deeper into your personality and find strength in who you are and who God has called you to be. With time you will find your inner beauty blossom and that is what will draw people to you. Trust me, it works!

Photo Credit: www.psoriasis.org

62 Comments on BN Skin Deep Series: “The Rash That Changed My Life”…Living with Psoriasis
  • Tari September 24, 2010 at 4:50 pm

WOW!! Thanks for sharing this Glory!! Your Beauty is Skin Deep and beyond.

• Badowski September 24, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Okkaaaayyyyyy!!!! That’s direct as direct can ever be. A very bold article which buttresses the fact that you are indeed comfortable and confident in who you are. But for those who know you its not doom and gloom as you have put it. I even bet some of “us” forgot long ago that there was a difference in our skins. Anybody who discriminates against another cos of a skin condition exhibits their ignorance which, in my opinion, is a much worse disease.

• James B September 24, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Remarkable woman in all respects. *big hug* When I say you inspire me, it ain’t no joke.

• Concerned Individual September 24, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Wow, thats deep. Thanks for sharing that Glory. I admire you and your confidence. Keep it up, the sky is just the begininng for you. Also I noticed that whenever I comb my hair, i am covered in flakes. I have always assumed this was dandruff though.

• Zenassprawlings September 24, 2010 at 6:39 pm

May God Bless you for opening up to us about your condition

• teetee September 24, 2010 at 7:13 pm

wow… I have had moderate / severe cystic acne for about 18 months and I have been miserable- not taking pics, not wanting to go out, sit down infront of the mirror and just mope etc. People like you make me ashamed of myself cos I no get mouth… Thanks for sharing Gloria. I admire your confidence. Truly, God does not give us more than we can bear. You are an incredible woman and God bless you x

• arewa September 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Really nice article. I have suffered from acne for upwards of 10 years. I’m talking cystic acne and I have tried everything except accutane. I noticed that like u said it’s only an issue with people when its an issue for me. Since I accepted and started loving myself, bad skin and all, I’ve had more admirers than ever before.

• teetee September 26, 2010 at 12:01 am

thanks arewa…Lol.. was just trying to get accutane earlier this week! (im on a queue to get a prescription, its soo hard to get accutane in the UK) But then i’ve started learning to deal with it slowly and im really trying to take my mind off it-its cost me way too much scarce money! haha….thanks arewa and thanks to Glory once again x

• molade September 26, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Iv had acne for more than 15 years and been on accutance 2ce. worked then a yr or so later acne reppaeared with a vengenance. Im now on sporinoloactone which works fingerc crossed! it takes about 4 months though. Try it. It literally changed my life

• arewa September 26, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I decided against accutane and all the other harsh antibiotics because of the side-effects. As long as I am okay with how I look I won’t risk the health of my unborn children and risk hair loss or my psychological stability for acne. Some days I don’t even use powder, anyone who doesn’t like me shouldn’t look. Lol. I think the same attitude is what helps people with even more serious skin issues. Once u can accept urself u are almost cured. I’ve also noticed most harsh things don’t work well for me

• Oshokeme October 9, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I’ve had it for about two years now and I was the same, hiding away and feeling ugly. Some days I’ll be feeling fresh with myself and then look in the mirror and remember how awful my skin looks and then feel depressed. Added to that, I have keloids on my chest. My fave pictures are webcam pictures because they don’t show enough detail lol. I also don’t like makeup and I feel that foundation and all will just exacerbate the problem… after reading this though, I feel vain and useless. Why let this small thing keep me down? God bless Glory for sharing her story.

• zeenie September 24, 2010 at 7:25 pm

thanks for opening up about your condition i have never heard of it before…thanks a lot for inspiring us.

• Toun September 24, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Thank you so much Glory for sharing your story. You are the only other black person ‘I know’ that has this condition. I had severe dandruff as well when I was younger. Now, whether it graduated to psoriasis or it had always been psoriasis, I don’t know. When I started realizing what it was (after seeing a few dermatologists), the best thing that worked for me was to wash my hair about twice a week. I stopped wearing weaves or even doing braids for a while. Sometimes it gets very frustrating but hey, God doesn’t give us what we can’t handle right? Can you share what works for you? I do find that Nizoral shampoo works for me though.

• Glory Edozien September 27, 2010 at 11:01 am

Hi Toun! Looks like we have something in common :). For my scalp i use polytar shampoo and loads of hair oils. I find that Olive oil hair products work best for my scalp. I also try to wash my hair once a week (or as often as necessary). But i have started doing weaves and ghana weaving…but i make sure i apply scalp oil almost every day. Plus i find it easier to go to one salon and allow only one person to do my hair. it just helps aviod all the unnecessary questions from salon staff “aunty make i mix cream for u”, “aunty wetin be this for your hair”. My hair stylist knows not to ask me any questions and knows that he has to lubricate my scalp sufficently without me telling him. Little things like that just makes life easier :)

• marian o October 11, 2010 at 9:59 am

Feels comforting to hear from other people going through this. Had almost given up on my scalp and was thinking about going for a low cut, cos that would make the almost constantly needed washing easier. Weaves and braids don’t last when i do those, and i’m tired of people constantly telling me my hair is dirty (when i was just at the salon 2-3 days ago). Tried Nizoral, but that didn’t work for me. I use polystar and Haicneal now (yes, simultaneously, same wash :-)and that seems to be working. Cant get the Polystar anymore though, pls where do you buy yours Glory?
        What’s scary now is that it seems to have spread to my back, and it’s that place between your shoulder blades that is so difficult to reach :( Help!! So worried it’s going to spread.

• Kenie October 11, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Hi Glory and Toun,
        I saw Nizoral and I knew i had to leave a comment. I really understand the flaky scalp/ dandruff issue. I have SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus) aka lupus and have lived with it for 13 yrs. its an autoimmune condition where your immune system decides that it is its own enemy and starts wiping out itself (your immune system). The results are varied – from hair loss to skin (lupus) rashes, heart failure to early onset athiritis etc. There is no cure so you just have to find a treatment (for each symptom you have).
        I’ve suffered from alopecia (hair loss) and scalp issues (white/ brown flakes that look like dandruff) because i keep shedding skin. Nizoral is very good – I actually use it on my skin too with a whole ot of other concoctions (both herbal & orthodox)! I actually hate going to salons because someone always wants to know and has the solution to you receeding hairline and dandruff issue! Its either one hair booster or miracle growth! What I really need is a miracle cure for lupus (and other autoimmune conditions). Take care.

• Just me July 4, 2014 at 11:45 am

Thanks for sharing, up until this article I thought what I had was the normal dandruff, I have had to shave my hair twice and even as low as it was, the flakes coming out after every brush were something else. I am currently on Low cut and I wash my hair every day and use coconut oil at least am noticing some improvement. Thanks for sharing

• africhic September 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Toun,

I know of two other people that have this scalp condition. I should send this link to them perharps, they’ll get a few ponters from all your post.

• Aibee September 24, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Oh dear! Glory, you really are a strong woman. thank you so much for sharing this with us. I hope and pray you find a lasting solution to the challenge. God bless you.

• Onyebuchi Ajufo September 24, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Gloria, I always read your posts on bellanaija (indeed I told you already how much I love them), but this is the first time I have commented. I have psoriasis. I’ve had it since I was 5. Like yours, mine started with my scalp and escalated as i grew older. My experiences at school were very similar to yours and I did develop a complex about the way I looked.

Fortunately for me, I left Nigeria when I was 15 and came to the UK where Psoriasis is as common as eczema. They say managing it is as good as you can hope for as there is no real cure.

There are a lot of great ointments and scalp applications that work really well. Dovonex make a cream and an ointmeant that works very fast. Diprosalic make an ointment that works really well on areas that show e.g. your hands, face and legs. They both make scalp applicator and they are amazing and can be used on weaves or braids. Polytar shampoo is better than anti-dandruff shampoos which only work for a very short time. Balneum plus is a bath oil that helps keep the skin hydrated.

In the words of Indie Arie:

I am not my hair
    I am not this skin
    I am not your expectations no
    I am not my hair
    I am not this skin
    I am a soul that lives within

• Onyebuchi Ajufo September 25, 2010 at 1:44 am

*Glory

• Anon. September 26, 2010 at 2:07 am

I went to secondary school with you, and from the bottom of my heart I want to apologize for my ignornace. I’m glad you’re in a better place and you are able to cope with the condition. Be well.

• Omada September 24, 2010 at 11:20 pm

God bless you Glory! God bless.

• Dorah September 25, 2010 at 12:06 am

I have ezcema, so I can relate to you, Glory. Thanks for sharing your story.

• D.O.T.M.H. September 25, 2010 at 1:40 am

Hi Glory, can I send an email to your glory.edozien@bellanaija.com addy? I’d like to say something but not here.

• Glory Edozien September 27, 2010 at 10:11 am

Yes off course you can….waiting to recieve…

• Nneka September 25, 2010 at 2:26 am

Lovely article Glory. Lovely. I never even knew that’s the name of the skin condition. a young relative of mine has it. She’s nine and i can see it affects her self esteem and makes her look unkept too. But she’s such a beautiful soul!
    Once again, lovely!

• JUSTSAYING September 25, 2010 at 4:36 am

Take Gluten out of your diet and all that skin infection will go away. I promise you. I have suggested it to ppl, they have tried it and it worked. Many friends of mine have had babies with tthis type of rush or excema and the whole nine yards. Change your diet by taking GLuten out completely and you will be amazed. Read on line about Gluten free meals – but in summary anything without wheat, so forinstance if its rice you go for WHOLE GRAIN brown rice. not whole wheat nor white rice. In africa our diet our different but am sure there are some types of food u can research and find out has not gluten in it,

• JUSTSAYING September 25, 2010 at 4:40 am

Oh and pray over your hands all the time. Use the word and say By his stripes I am healed, look for all the scriptures on HEALING repeat it to GOD – believe it – eat well and your rush will go away. I wish i had your email i will send you more information. Eat like they ate in the biblical days – everything was whole GRAIN. Get this book or borrow called Makers Diet and its a great book with a christian theme, But the thing is most of the ingredients are here in the USA and they are not cheap. I pray you find alternatives in Naija and if you do please let us know cos that is my one concern that when i move home i will not get to buy my gluten free choice of stuff.

• onthesubject September 27, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Duh! There is no known cure for it…r u a doctor or scientist?

@ Glory: You are a phenomenal woman ;)

• Ronnie September 25, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Awesome article, thank you Glory. You have informed and enlightened me. God bless you!

• feango September 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Dear Glory, thank you for sharing. I am 33 yrs old & i have been living with dermatitis on my lower limbs for half of my life. It’s been a blight on my existence. i just got more confident in my own skin, 2 yrs ago cos i have a wonderful boyfriend who tells me he knows it is not craw-craw & i’m not dirty! I manage it with diet & minimal medication & if iwant to rock kneelength clothes, i just use concealing foundation on my scars & i’m good to go.

• fokasibe September 25, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I never knew about psoriasis….first time I’ve heard about this condition and I’m touched….Its not easy, seeing one’s peers go about all hale and hearty while we look inwards and wish we could help things like this….so I feel you…I’m glad that this made you stronger!! Bravo….
    Thanks for educating us, we learn every single day! I wish you all the best Glory! X

• gorgeous September 25, 2010 at 8:13 pm

For the cystic acne sufferer’s its your diet.Cut out dairy foods.I know its hard but I am talking from experience here.Milk,Eggs and Cheese of today have harmful antibiotics.And your skin reacts to it because we are not supposed to have those things in our diet naturally.If you can’t keep off this,try to shop at natural food stores that state that the foods have been processed without antibiotics and I promise you, your acne will reduce or runaway completely.This also applies to meat as well.As you are doing this you can also use an antibiotic cream,at night to take care of the bacteria from the foods that are spreading the painful acne on the surface of your skin.Avoid picking your acne, it makes it spread.Use a gentle face wash that is non comedogenic, and oil free.Also remember to moisturize as well with a good face lotion that has the same properties as the face wash.This is coming from someone that suffered from horrible acne, and my skin is highly sensitive.It took a while to figure this out,but I survived with little facial scars for proof.Hope my whole epistle helps you out.I know how you feel.Take lots of water,destress and live!

• teetee September 26, 2010 at 12:11 am

thanks gorgeous…i’ve done quite a bit of all of this.im on antibiotics, im not into dairy products anyways. even used urine therapy…did i hear you say yuck?! haha. i am not yet brave enough to drink urine…external use is bad enough. However,im very guilty of picking the acne and prostituting skincare products… would try basic skincare as you and a few other people have advised.thanks gorg.

• gorgeous September 29, 2010 at 4:01 pm

What about your meat produce and eggs? Are they antibiotic free? You need to go natural, shop all natural and see the difference. Always look at whatever you buy, if you want to be able to manage your skin. Try using Aveeno products. They are gentle enough for sensitive skin, and i can even use the body lotion with SPF for my face (Gasp!). Instead of Accutane try Differin. Goodluck

• Oshokeme October 9, 2010 at 4:11 pm

This is to gorgeous: I’m on differin at the moment and it’s really harsh. I’m planning to go on accutane next and I’m also on oral antibiotics. My skin feels dry and itchy but oily at the same time. Can you recommend any moisturisers that can balance it out? The stuff I’m on is quite harsh. They’ve put me on birth control to prevent pregnancy cos the drugs cause birth defects. I’ll have to try cutting out dairy. I’ve already given up red meat and I’m trying to reduce greasy foods in my diet, drink more water and exercise.

Another thing that could cause chronic breakouts is the stuff that you use in your hair and on your scalp. It drips down onto your face especially in hot weather. Also you could be reacting to a some fibres in weaves.

• Tosin September 25, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Fantastic article – so encouraging! Thanks for sharing
    May God bless and give you perfect healing – amen!

• Musings of Ewa September 26, 2010 at 4:48 am

‘ve gained a whole new level of repect for you.
    May you find comfort soonest and may your hapiness only continue to grow!

• Ijeoma September 26, 2010 at 8:38 am

Up till now I thought the knowledge of psoriasis was virtually inexistent in Nigeria so I’m glad this has come up. I found out I had psoriasis when I was 21 – it usually shows up in your early 20s if you’re going to have it. The doctor said to me “the bad news is you have psoriasis; the good news is it’s not cancer” and then he gave me pamphlets about psoriasis support groups. I don’t need to explain how freaked out I was. I also found out that it’s very common, even among Nigerians. The problem is that it’s always mistaken for “severe dandruff” or “dry scalp”. Before I knew what it was a lady at the salon was actually scraping flakes off my scalp and lecturing me about how I needed to take better care of my hair and myself. Because I’ve seen what psoriasis can do, I’m very grateful that mine is still limited to my hairline and I admire the fact that you’re coming to terms with skin psoriasis, especially in Nigeria where it doesn’t seem to be so well known (when I did my hair outside of Nigeria it was the hairdresser who even picked up on it and told me she thought I had psoriasis and that’s when I had it checked out). Like you said, there’s no cure and because it’s caused by a number of things depending on the person and their environment or stress level, I’ve found there’s no perfect treatment regime. Right now I use Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo and this topical mix that was prescribed for me but it doesn’t seem to work all the time so I’m sort of stuck. If anyone needs suggestions I was also told by a doctor that eating healthy, cutting down on alcohol and using hair oils (eg olive oil, carrot oil) instead of creams and pomades might help. At the end of the day, you have to love yourself so when I get asked”why’s your hairline scaly?” I say “I have psoriasis; it’s not contagious.” If that’s not good enough then .. *shrugs*

• africakchikito no.1 September 26, 2010 at 11:52 am

great article Glory…i have new found respect for you!

• Ayana September 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Nice one Glory…thank you for sharing

• NiEriu September 26, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Nicely written piece! Psoriasis isn’t that common with darker skintones, so I have not come across many others who have it. I ‘ve always had excema but developed psoriasis some nearly 7years ago. ThankGod it is now in remission but it was HARD dealing with it at it’s peak…even getting it diagnosed at first was suck a task. I remember one night before I was diagnosed, I was itching so bad, I though it was bedbugs and we had the whole place sanitised…of cos it didn’t help…
    However, having it forced me to start to look at what I was using and while it is in remission now(just have a few patches), I am still careful as I don’t want it to flare up again. Remedies that have become my staples include virgin coconut oil, sea-salt, aloevera gel.

• Glory Edozien September 27, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Hiya NiEriu,

My experience is exactly the same as yours. The night before i saw the first spots appear, I thought i had been bitten by ants/bed bugs and got up from my bed and changed my sheets. Little did i know….i find E45 cream helps a lot and dovobet ointment.

• jive September 27, 2010 at 6:09 am

A great piece!Skin problems can really depress one’s confidence. I will recommend that you try “BELL HELP FOR SKIN DISORDERS WITH ITS SHARK OIL” by BELL lifestyle products. It works wonders! amazing and tremendous improvement within days.

• t-girl September 27, 2010 at 8:02 am

i love your article, glory…..i’ve been reading them since you started writing on bella naija. i love that you’re confident. i have acute dermatitis on my leg and sometimes i feel ashamed but thanks for this confidence booster….very nice!

• Nimz September 27, 2010 at 9:30 am

A very interesting read Glory and inspirational too.

• obi September 27, 2010 at 10:16 am

glory, i had psoriasis on my tummy a few years back and i was advised by my doctor to expose the affected place to sunlight daily btw 7am -11 am and guess what – it cleared up after some days

• joi September 27, 2010 at 10:53 am

hey…I am so loving ur self confidence right nw…thanks for sharing this…u may not knw it but this article has helped one or two persons going thru one trying time or the other…I pray ur healing gets perfected IJN

• Moucha September 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Glory, do not give up on treatment. Try Western herbal cure that works. I only develop skin problems once in a while when I am allergic to certain foods and environment. I have used herbs to cure my skin problems and only drink filtered or bottled water. I used to itch until blood came out of the spots and applied Aloe Vera. The food you eat also matters e.g. no peanuts and avoid oily food. Eat more raw vegetables because we tend to over cook our veg.

• Elle September 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Glory,
    I remember those days in school you described.. and looking back, I must say you have always been an amazing strong woman. I don’t think I ever outrightly showed concern back then, but I always wondered what happened that made you lose your long beautiful hair.
    I think we didn’t really understand what happened to you and we are scared of what we don’t understand. I’m very proud of you, Girl…

xoxo
    Ladun

• truetalk September 29, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Glory i wish i could meet you(am a gal so no wahala…wink!!!), u’re sooo inspiring.all your articles make perfect sense all the time and i perceive u’re very intelligent. u’re blessed already,psoriasis or not and like you said,God does not give us more than we can bear. For some reason, He knows You can handle this.
    ….thanks for educating us!!!

• Ogo October 7, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Nne, can feel you totally. God Bless and Thanks for sharing, you cant imagiene how much lives you’ve saved by sharing. I pray you find strength and time to do more for persons living with psoriasis.

• Oshokeme October 9, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I’m glad I read this. I’ve got keloids on my chest that started forming when I was 20. I had one small pimple, it turned into a big raised scar and now there are clusters across my chest and between my breasts and more keep coming. I don’t know how to stop them and i’ve tried steroid shots, creams etc, been to doctors everywhere, worked on controlling my acne in the hopes of preventing more but nothing. For years I walked around with scarves regardless of the weather because I was tired of people just staring at them. I always appreciated people that asked questions, the ones that just stared disgustedly made me feel so bad about myself… but then I spoke to a friend one day and he told me it was up to me if I wanted to hide but I was the only one making myself feel bad about it. I was always worried that that would be all people saw when they saw me, but then I decided to just let my insecurity go. It helps when you have people affirming your beauty and the fact that you’re amazing but you can never truly be comfortable in your skin until you accept yourself flaws and all. Your story has truly inspired me.

I apologize for writing too much :)

• Oshokeme October 9, 2010 at 4:13 pm

This is @gorgeous: I’m on differin at the moment and it’s really harsh. I’m planning to go on accutane next and I’m also on oral antibiotics. My skin feels dry and itchy but oily at the same time. Can you recommend any moisturisers that can balance it out? The stuff I’m on is quite harsh. They’ve put me on birth control to prevent pregnancy cos the drugs cause birth defects. I’ll have to try cutting out dairy. I’ve already given up red meat and I’m trying to reduce greasy foods in my diet, drink more water and exercise.

Another thing that could cause chronic breakouts is the stuff that you use in your hair and on your scalp. It drips down onto your face especially in hot weather so it’s important to be aware of what products go on your hair if you have acne prone skin.

• ogo October 11, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I remeber one small irritation I had, and I wore tights wit my shorts to d beach wwwit dis long kaftan top, I was miserable for 3weeks ….I can only imagine how bad u must have felt. Your are a strong woman and I’m glad that others have an oppoutunity to be enlightened. Keep it up Glo!

• Jlo October 12, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Well written as expected and I like that you emphasised loving oneself, discovering ones inner beauty and strength because thats the foundation needed to get through anything in life…..You have also brought to light other peoples insecurities and this piece will certainly inspire them. well done

• longsufferer November 3, 2010 at 3:32 pm

whoa…i am going through a mild form of this, i used to have smooth skin, just dermatitis when i was in secondary school, which was not a pleasant experience, my mum also invested in local remedies and if you know my mum, you would laugh. Finally saw a dermatologist who diagnosed dermatitis…and a wonder steroid drug lucky I was young enough for my skin to record without too many scars.
    now it is like I wake up with wounds, that turn into dark spots, i itch most of the time, infact the only thing that helps the healing process is steroid creams…I can’t even travel out of Nigeria without it. pple say u are quite spotty…and I laugh…but I have decided to live my life, wear my hot shorts ,and sleeveless tops…lets others worry for me( cos God knows worrying wouldn’t change it).

• Fifi November 9, 2010 at 9:08 am

LET ME HELP!
    THER IS A CURE PERMANENT CURE TO PSORAISIS
    COAL TAR!
    PLEASE FIND COAL TAR
    AND THE REST IS HISTORY.

• angelsbeauty November 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm

great article… your confidence is the best thing you can wish for especially with your psoraisis. God will answer your prayers. x

• Zizi November 26, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Hi Gloria, I understand what you’ve gone through because I’ve suffered something similar. I will send an email to you so that we can talk more.

• T-GLORY July 5, 2014 at 5:55 pm

I was really inspired by your article. I also have psoriasis and have lived with it for about 20 year now, i am a doctor and i can tell you even in the medical circle here in Nigeria a lot of people are still ignorant and would try to convince me it was an infection of some sort. I initially fell in line and it took a skin biopsy with a second opinion to make me believe. I have had intermittent relief in the past years when it just clears up for no apparent reason. My hair dresser often wonder why i would not wear a weave for more than a week, tried to explain to one of them and she would not touch my hair afterwards. I have however over the years learnt to manage the symptoms and live with it.