Change-A-Life Scheme Recepient - John Bassey

On the 1st of January 2012, Funmi Iyanda‘s non-profit organization the Change-A-Life Foundation will broadcast its annual New Year Show. The inspiring show will feature Nigerians whose lives have been impacted by the foundation and will host Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola as the special guest. The the Change-A-Life Foundation New Year Show will be hosted by Funmi Iyanda and be broadcast live on January 1st on the NTA Network and LTV 8 from 9am to 10am.

As the Change-A-Life Foundation celebrates ten years of serving its community, we take a look at the stories of the real people whose lives have truly been changed:

John Bassey, a Change-A-Life recipient, has been on the scholarship scheme since its inception in 2002. Before his adoption into the scheme, John and his four siblings were looked after by his aunt Mary. They all lived together in Mary’s one room shop in Ilaje, Bariga, which also doubled as her home. Moved by their story, Change-A-Life put John and his sister Queen on the scholarship scheme. CAL also enrolled their aunt Mary in College of Education Akoka, Yaba where she graduated in 2006. She is now a certified teacher.

In 2007, John gained admission into Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka, Anambra to study Mass Communication. He is one of CAL’s outstanding beneficiaries, consistently getting top grades in his class. In 2011, John graduated with a 2nd class upper credit in Mass Communication from the Nnamdi Azikiwe University with a CGPA of 4.1.

The Turning Point

Meet John Bassey
I am an orphan. I lost my father in 1994 and my mother in 1998. Since then, I have been (alongside my siblings) under the custody of my aunt Mrs. Mary Omaka. She took over the welfare of my four (4) siblings and I. She took care of my primary education; basically paying the fees and feeding the entire family.

When were you accepted into the Change-A-Life Scholarship Scheme?
I was accepted into the Change-A-Life Scholarship Scheme in the year 2002. That was the year I was promoted to J.S.S 3 in the junior secondary school I attended in Bariga.

How has Change-A-Life changed your life, what does Change-A-Life mean to you?
Change-A-Life has changed everything about me especially the course my life would have taken after my secondary education. Before Change-A-Life, I had no chance to achieve my dream of a university education. I had planned to learn a trade after secondary education (repairs of electrical equipment). But with the support of Change-A-Life, I have been able to achieve university degree. To me, CAL is not just about an ordinary change; it is transformation. The people at CAL have helped change not only my physical life but also my perception about life generally. CAL gives people the opportunity and rightful tools to become something in life.

What are your plans for the future?
After NYSC, I plan to acquire substantial experience in the communications industry; practical experience of what the profession entails either by internship which may require taking up a job or enrolling in specialized school of communication before going for my masters degree in Advertising and/or Public
Relations.

***
Change-A-Life is a non-profit organization whose primary mission is to intervene in the lives of talented but disadvantaged individuals. CAL is the vision of TV personality and media entrepreneur, Funmi Iyanda, who started the organization in 2002. It was run as an intervention project from 2002 till 2009 when it was incorporated as a full service non-governmental and non¬profit organization.

24 Comments on Funmi Iyanda’s Change-A-Life Foundation celebrates 10 Years of Positive Impact! Meet CAL Scheme Recepient John Bassey
  • nollywood December 23, 2011 at 8:07 am

Great

• Theodora December 23, 2011 at 10:20 am

very great indeed, welldone fummi

• miss peo December 23, 2011 at 11:09 am

God bless funmi iyanda

• moi! December 23, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Well done funmi!! may God almighty continue to replenish your purse for all your works of love.

• jokay December 23, 2011 at 3:47 pm

God bless u sister……

• konnie December 23, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Well done Funmi. Well done John and family. God bless you all

• ashi December 23, 2011 at 5:36 pm

thanks for acknowledging this young man.

• pam December 23, 2011 at 6:18 pm

its great when a recipient of aid takes it so seriously. congratulations John Bassey on getting your 2.1! e no easy bros. and well done change a life for being changing a future of young man from an electricians apprentice to a graduate of mass comm.

• pam December 23, 2011 at 6:20 pm

and I totaly missed little John in the picture below in 2002…. so young… awwww…. congrats bro:)

• Abanonu December 24, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Hei sis Funmi, we are soooooo proud of u… God bless u real good.. with more like u, we wld change a lot in Naija…. Come to think of it.. i wonder what our first ladies are doing?

• moo December 24, 2011 at 10:08 pm

i know when d prgram started on new dawn of then.cant believe its ten yrs already congrat funmi,u must ve transform many life.

• hotdame December 25, 2011 at 12:04 am

Good job funmi

• obi-talk December 25, 2011 at 12:55 am

I love to love Funmi!

• Chinny December 26, 2011 at 6:52 am

This story brought tears to my eyes. Great story. More grease to your elbows aunty Funmi. May God bless you.

• tola adeleye December 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm

this story really touched my heart.good work funmi!

• Bolaji December 28, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I was actually moved to tears….you know already that God will bless you Funmi. Keep it up!!

• Josh December 29, 2011 at 5:04 am

God bless Funmi Iyanda and the parties responsible for making their dreams come true!

• esther December 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Thank God for ur life, i wish i had this opportunity years back, i know where i would have been, still i say thank u Jesus, cos with determination i was able to overcome, So bassey u keep it up. funmi God bless and countinue to do d gud work.

• cle-c January 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

I love success stories. Welldone Funmi and welldone Bassey for making every effort worth it for those coming after u!

• Touchedbyanangel January 4, 2012 at 10:04 am

Welldone Funmi!
    u will not go unrewarded!…i know so

• Youth On a Mission (World-Changers) January 5, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Im so much impressed when i saw the good work which you allow God to do true you and your crew.
    I believe so much in change and making impact to life’s because of the love of God.
    God bless you.

• Ayoola comfort January 8, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Well done funmi iyanda i knw its hasn‘ bn easy but all thanks 2 God.pls i won‘t 2 tell u dat u r my mentor & i av dis kind of vision & i av my plans written but i will like 2 see u 4 advice.pls i need ur no so i can contact u 07057755007 is my no

• kenechukwu ugochukwu ken February 22, 2012 at 12:56 pm

great job you are doing funmi!!!… you remain fulfilled…
    pls, i need a favour from you.
    my name is ken ugochukwu, a pr consultant for full life centre at 41a, joel ogunnnaike GRA, ikeja.
    funmi, i have being blessed by your tv programmes, it being wonderful . i want to introduce a book to you.
    the book is called ” COULD THIS BE BE?”.. A simply presented story about a Christian’s walk in the time of mistake; repentance and obedience even in the time of God’s rebuke, …mercy and eventual restoration.
    it is gripping, entertaining as well as inspirational true life story which ultimately glorifies God.
    As much as the story is based on reality, it contains no filth or immorality, in other words, it is a clean book.
    it is written by dr ebere cathy njoku, an optometrist.
    we also want to crave your indulgence in getting you sir to read it and possibly endorse it, so how can we get a copy across to you?.. we will be glad
    thnks for your anticipated response.
    ken ugochukwu.

• kenechukwu ugochukwu ken February 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm

pls it is ” could this be me”..thanks