Posted on Saturday, September 29th, 2012 at 4:55 PM

By Adeola Adeyemo

Nigerians have been described as some of the world’s biggest spenders more than a few times. Recent research by Guardian UK shows that Nigerians are the fourth biggest spenders in the United Kingdom.

And we love to shop everywhere. From Dubai to Paris to London to New York, but London seems to rank as one of the popular shopping destinations for Nigerians spending four times what UK shoppers typically spend. The number of Nigerian visitors to the UK increased by more than 50 per cent to 142,000 a year between 1991 and 2011, according to the Office for National Statistics. Nigeria is projected to become Africa’s biggest economy by next year and the world’s fifth most populous country by 2050, and London is cashing in.

The London Evening Standard‘s feature on Simi Osomo, a 25 year-old Nigerian who makes six trips to London spending a total of £30,000 (N7,622,220) got my attention this morning.

According to the report, she spends about two weeks during each trip and goes shopping everyday of her trip.

Speaking about Nigerians and their shopping habits, she told the StandardWhen it comes to shopping and Nigerians, I can tell you it’s just what we have to do.”

During every trip, she spends about £5,000 (N1,270,370). She tells the Standard that aside from the fact that goods are cheaper in London, it gives her a chance to have a holiday. “You can get lots of things in Lagos but they are cheaper here and you get to take a holiday and relax a bit. It’s only six hours away.”

Although she likes the variety of London, Marks & Spencer is one of Osomo’s favourite shops. “I love their fajitas. You can’t get them in Nigeria. I also buy soy sauce and Thai green curry paste, which is good because it lasts for a long time. Oh, and Crunchy Nut cereal, Skittles, Maltesers and tea. There’s nothing like a British cuppa. I get Lipton, PG and green tea. I love Zara, H&M, Topshop. But if I want something more high end, there’s Sloane Street.”

When it comes to getting her haul of hopping back to Lagos, she says it is costly. “All I pack when I come over is one pair of jeans and three tops. I bring two big suitcases but I always have to get another one and pay for excess baggage. I never learn.” British Airways has increased its excess baggage charge on flights from London to Lagos from £40 to £97 per suitcase in the past year. “They must have realised we always put an extra bag in and thought they’d try to make money out of it,” she told the Standard.

During her chat with Standard, she wore a green top from Zara, blue skinny jeans and new Christian Louboutin shoes. She also planned to buy an iPhone 5 later in the day for her sister. She said Zara which opened an outlet store in Lagos six months ago is affordable.

”Zara is affordable because it’s an outlet but what I find is that things are a bit last season. Nigeria’s hot all the time so there are always maxi dresses and swimwear but the colours are boring and we lack variety. Customer service is not great and some shops can get really crowded, which is challenging.”

According to Osomo, it is not just rich Nigerians who come over to shop in the UK. “Middle-class people can afford to come and spend £600 on shopping in a week here. What I like about the UK is that it doesn’t discriminate. As long as you’re able to prove you have an income, accommodation in London and a return ticket, the authorities are more than willing to give you a visa. It’s closer than America and the customer service here is phenomenal.”

She loves to shop in summer which is the height of the shopping season, and also comes back for the January sales too. Her mother, a lawyer, and father, a businessman, often join her. She has just completed a law degree and is about to start a job in fashion journalism, which she hopes will give her enough holidays for trips to London.

Photo Credit: London Evening Standard

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

• Custom Search
  • 115 Comments on “Living in Lagos, Shopping in London: UK Newspaper Features a 25 Year-Old Nigerian who Spends £30,000 Yearly Shopping on 6 Trips to the UK”

Comments
    • dooshima September 29, 2012 at 5:03 PM

life of a shopaholic

• Egusi September 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I am still stuck at she just finished a law degree and is about to start a job in fashion journalism so did all that money and time spent on law go to waste or was this a case of reading what your parents want. Back to shopping yeah Nigerians can shop once met this woman with her entire brood in Primark shopping for clothes the chaos! I knew she was only here to shop thanks to her kids accents and their general demeanour well behaved unlike most london kids

• toyin October 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM

London kids misbehave too

• iheanacho September 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Never trustoyibo

• Ijeoma September 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Please, so where does this young lady get all this money, since she doesn’t work? From her parents? Plus many of those people who go to shop in London come back home and resell a lot of those things. I’m not saying people don’t go to London to shop for themselves, but this article omits what I think is a large chunk of Nigerians shopping in London.

• Nikii September 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM

You spoke my mind! this isn’t the lifestyle of a typical Nigerian shopper. Abeggi!

• partyrider September 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM

nigerians and their crase for the UK,is one thing i will never understand.
      meanwhile,na person wey chop belle full na him fit spend that kind of money for shopping in a year.
      Last last sha,to each his own.

• Lani September 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Is this an actual depiction of the Nigerian spender? I beg to differ a beg. Why didn’t Standard ask the right questions? What does she do to earn a living? What does her husband (if she has one) do to earn a living? She is just about to start a job so how does she get the money? Through daddy? So what kind of business does he do that funds her excessive lifestyle? I want to know so I can do it. I am not hating at all.
      I am just amazed at the excesses of this woman. British cuppa? As a Nigerian who lives in London, I still rely on my Nigerian Lipton tea.
      Everyone has the right to do whatever they want to with their money but consumer spending is a big economy booster. We need this boost in Nigeria. Lets not compare ourselves to China or the Middle East, those are thriving economies.

• LATEH L September 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM

thank you oo my dear for point that out … I was askin myself the same questions while reading… hmmmm lousy report I must say

• Dayo September 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Why does she have to have a husband? The sentiment of most comments here appears to be that Nigerian women are somehow incapable of making an honest living.

Btw, it appears if the girl is smart enough to figure out that she could buy a roundtrip ticket with the money that she would save from NOT buying the same items in Lagos (where they are priced much higher). Good for her, as travel is always an excellent education.

• Lani September 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM

She doesn’t have to have a husband. I don’t so i don’t care. But it does say that she is just about to start a job in fashion journalism so asking where the money came from is a valid question. Nigerian women can take care of themselves and we applaud them but this is a lady whose source of excesses is not clear. Thats why I want clarification.

• Missasokoro September 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Very sensible comment! Thanks

• AnONYMouS September 29, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Wow! 30K a year?????? Thats a tad too much but if you can afford it nothing do you

• AnONYMouS September 29, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I definitely agree, things are way overpriced in Lagos! I don’t think I will ever do much of my shopping there…

• Sam September 29, 2012 at 5:20 PM

She is living my dream. Hope to spoil my kids worse than this!

• Gimmer September 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Nigerian shoppers are still trailing after Arab women….goodness. Thesese women fit blow cash

• medina September 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

i so agree, Arab women dey shop die….. i was on the queue for tax refund and the arab lady b4 me collected about £7000 refund, i was flabergasted…

• hajara September 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Madina , ı was on the line for my vat refund when a nigerian govt official (ES)collected GBP37000!!!

• Soraya September 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Very very foolish girl- according to the newspaper, she spends 30,000 per year in London- a sum that could easily buy her a property in Abuja that she could rent out and earn an income- instead it goes towards shopping. Assuming she was that sum for the next five years, she would have been able to afford a small house in London but oh no, she prefers to spend for today and let tomorrow worry about itself!! Unfortunately, money does not necessarily mean common sense

• Wale September 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Me I am still stuck on the news that there is Zara store in Lagos, I beg where is it?

• anonymous September 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

The shop is on Allen Avenue.

• Ann September 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Sliverbird galleria,VI

• khadijah September 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM

silverbird galleria…

• Iris September 30, 2012 at 11:59 PM

At an almost missable spot in Silverbird Galleria, but don’t waste your time. The stuff in there looks like Zara rejects and it is totally not worth the money. As ridiculous as the prices are in both stores, I’d rather spend money at Mango in Lagos than at Zara (not that I’d ever spend money in any of those though)

• MiszPha September 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Well well well!!! I am not nigerian so I will not comment the fact that she is nigerian! The only thing is that UK does not discriminate. First she does not live in London to know what discrimination is! Good luck to her! When it is not your own money, you spend it as if it is water you are drinking! Abi? A bon entendeur!Salut

• Egusi September 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

i think she meant that in relation to issuance of visas not discrimination as we know it per say when it comes to jobs etc but compared to the rest of Europe the UK is the most liberal and least discriminative that’s why black people from all over Europe especially France are flocking to the UK in search of better jobs

• MiszPha September 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM

True Dear. Definitely I agree with you.

• I BLAME THE GOVERNEMENT!!! September 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I’ve recently RETURNED to LAGOS and have been also STUNNED by the PRICE COMPARISONS

1)I have always wondered WHY things a 3rd WORLD COUNTRY like OURS are NOT as CHEAP or LESS than they are in the UK!

2)They IMPORT most of what they use also so its not by MAGIC. we MUST be doing SOMETHING WRONG!

3) We must REFORM our CUSTOMS and IMPORT LAWS, our CURRENCY SYSTEM and make it EASIER/CHEAPER for COMPANIES to TRADE in NIGERIA!!

GOD SAVE NIGERIA. THIS IS MADNESS

• hmm September 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM

No, promote an environment where local labor, resources, infrastructure can produce good quality, sensible and affordable ‘Made in Nigeria’ eheh!!!

• Tiki October 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Nigeria must start by having electricity. As long as any business uses a generator, prices go up by at least 250%.

• keity September 29, 2012 at 6:34 PM

when she marries if shez not yet woz gonu fund dis habit?1 outta zillion reasons marriages collapse

• iCROSSmyHeart September 30, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Your spelling is one of them……

• hmm September 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

poor English is another reason for collapse

• Chattyzee September 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I agree that Nigerians can shop. I love shopping too but I don’t have one Zara item in my closet. Why? Too much money for my student budget. Forever21 and Charlotte Russe will do for now..lol, I even have to “close my eyes” to buy from Asos. Back to the article, this lady can shop sha, does she not re-wear clothes? But I guess she must be able to afford it. Good for her.

• Mz Socially Awkward.... September 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Zara UK actually do some really terrific sales. I’ve bought some great pieces from them in the sale (70% off) and unlike some high-street shops which continue their sales all year round, Zara seem to only have theirs at particular times in the year and with a desire to clear out the sales stock in order to display new stock. Don’t know if they do the same in the States but don’t discount them from your student budget just yet…

• Lulu September 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Not realistic, but if she has moni, Y not!

• i no send September 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM

*yimu*….. not all visitors to london spend like that only a handful……

• i no send September 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM

if its not her father and she isn’t working then it could only be………fill in the blanks for me

• Winifred September 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Don’t mind this yeye government that is paying lip service to manufacturing! Chrrrrrrrr.importation of things to Nigeria is hell!

• Kiki M September 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Hi5 to that! If you’ve got it, spend it. Nothing wrong with spending on your kids as long as they recognize the priviledge they have and still work hard. Yes it’s possible to do both. Just look at Ivanka Trump or Prince William.

• lorenz September 29, 2012 at 7:23 PM

champagne life.. Wetin i wan talk again na?

• babe September 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM

London life,lagos living

• onnari September 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

i’m only interested in the source of the money, and secondly that this isn’t a disorder of some sort. it’s 3 much na!

• O September 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

truth is this article does not depict that of a typical/average Nigerian that goes to the UK for hols and shopping..

• taesugar September 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM

it is okay to spend lavishly as long as it doesnt break the bank. after all,life is to be lived only once. so why crucify her over some simple indulgence.

• Amber September 29, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Shopalcolic of the highest order..it’s so funny how Nigerians go to uk to buy foodstuffs available in naija,if to say Na clothes and shoes,dat one I fit hear biko

• neon September 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Try buying something that sells for 1pound in london (N258) at 10pounds (N2580) in lagos then u understand why Nigerians go to buy food in the uk

• Person pikin September 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Just wondering how many rich british parents will give their children 30,000 odd quid a year for shopping! This is just her own shopping, so calculate what it cost when you include her siblings shopping money. Sorry to say but we nigerians overdo things! thats how many parents will now be embezzling public funds to afford this life style for their children…. wonder why the country is the way it is?….smh

• prea September 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM

have you guys paused for a moment and think, that all her shopping might not be for her. People sometimes give money to others that have quick access to visas, to help them buy stuff, so by doing that she can afford the 30k, imagine friends giving her 500 – 1000pounds each. And she might be selling some of her merchandise as well, which she did not mention in the article.

• nich September 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM

people have forgotten that there are still a lot of rich parents in nigeria……..even some boyfriends can spend millions on girlfriend how much more……………………..

• Gimmer September 30, 2012 at 7:51 AM

You just want to convert this discussion to run tins

• Tiki October 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

loooooooooooool!

• Nelly September 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I’m sorry oh! Did I miss the point of this piece?????

• In the know September 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM

She didn’t just finish a law degree, she just finished law school in Abuja and will be called to the bar in a few months. I know she is definately not married but her parents are wealthy so its not surprising the amount of money she spends. In actual fact her sister Titi spends a lot more so more grease to their elbows. If u can afford it why not?

• csl September 30, 2012 at 2:04 AM

im sure she sells stuff, Naija and dia gragra as if dey can spend up to arabs, russians etc.
      oyinbo will kip stroking dia egos to collect d little dey have. Dey wont c d poor pple around dem

• Gimmer September 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Voila…ou ve said it all. She sounds like an office drawer retailer jare

• Susan September 30, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Thanks Onnari and Ijeoma. These colorful lifestyles do not impress many of us anymore. What is the source of her income?
      Whose life has she impacted positively with all this money in the midst of abject poverty in a place like Nigeria? Big money people, please help someone, champion or support a cause. The measure of your wealth and greatness is not based on how much you spend, how many red soled shoes you have, or how many international trips you can afford. It is based on how much impact you have in the life of someone.
      Simi, you could put all your disposable income to better use.

• Ovadje September 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Dear Susan, how many have helped yourself? Nigerians just love to pontificate unnecessarily. So long as she got the money honestly, it is not MY own business how she chooses to spend what’s rightfully hers (so long as she is not hurting others). It may come as news to some of you Internet Communists, but spending creates wealth, builds businesses and trades, generates wealth that pays for school fees and healthcare and sustain livelihoods. Giving money away (ironically, probably to feel better about YOURself) is not the only way to help your community. The cab driver who takes her to the airport, the tailor who sews her aso-ebi, the hairdresser who does her hair, the carpenter who builds her closet and drawers, and even the flight attendant who has a job because people like her fly to London, among others, all have a job, business or trade (and can therefore support their own families and dependents, and even the buka lady down the street and the corner shop), because of the economic activities of people like this Shopaholic, without sitting around and having to wait and depend on handouts from the NGO industry (and probably people like you who think that the pittiances that you occasionally and patronizingly dole out to folks, albeit helpful, actually make them feel better about themselves). LIVE AND LET LIVE! It takes all kinds to make the world turn.

• Tiki October 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

GBAM! GBAM! GBAM! *big wet smacking kiss!*

• Ada beke October 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM

BELLA NAIJA PLEASE WE NEED A LIKE BUTTON. I GIVE 1000 LIKES TO THIS COMMENT. THE SOONER PEOPLE START REALIZING THIS THE BETTER. And to add what she spends is small sef there are people who spend no less than $15000 on shopping on each Dubai/ London trip. Clean your eyes folks, there are LEGITIMATELY RICH people in Nigeria. My only prayer is for them to SHOW US THE WAY!!

• CLP September 30, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Dunno what d noise is about. From d article, one can imply she sell those stuffs!

• Blackhead September 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM

My dear, na only you talk sense here. Others are just blabbing about her lifestyle bla bla bla..

• Speak easy! September 30, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Now that’s what I call “too much money”. 30,000 pounds sterling: enough to sponsor a postgraduate student for a Medical Masters in the UK.

• miss jacqs September 30, 2012 at 6:33 AM

This is very true. I am a South African married to a Nigerian. I know a lot of ladies that come to Joburg just to shop for a week. We have hosted a few people from Nigeria, they arent interested in exploring the holiday destinations here, they just want to take home some unique items.

• faith September 30, 2012 at 6:35 AM

I wAnt To bE like her when I growup….I wonder where d money comes from shaa….

• malysia September 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Her pocket money is not even up to the yearly salary of the majority of us. She must be either the daughter or the girlfriend of a billionaire tycoon in naija. I wish i could have that kind of money to invest in properties and put aside for my children upkeep. Good luck to her!

• Tomi September 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

So many of these stores offer international shipping, she doesn’t need to travel.
      We all know Nigerian’s have a tendency to show they can afford extravagant lifestyles , regardless of the economical effectiveness and practicality.

• Nikii September 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

That’s another point! You are soooooo right!

• buchi October 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Yes they do offer international shipping BUT usually reject debit cards with nigerian addresses…. go figure!

• sense September 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Big pity! so she travels to the UK this much but how many places does she actually get to visit to enrich herself intellectually? or its just to shop. It’s a problem to pay tax in Naija but 25yr old aunty is spending this much in the UK??? That you have money to travel doesn’t guarantee you are exposed.

• Serpico September 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM

£30,000? The Russian babes spend more than that on a day, she’d be like a cleaner next to one of them. This article shows that Nigeria is truly an impoverished country. Why would you want to go public for spending a measly £30,000. Hey girl, you got it all wrong. Didn’t you read about Branson’s daughter spending her time doing charity work? And she could buy this girl and her parents with her pocket money. If you’re going to come out, let it be for something substantial. Your parents have really failed in teaching you what your priorities should be. At 25 years, is there nothing you have done with your life. Christine Ohuorugo, your mate, had just won an Olympic medal. Your claim to fame, is that you can shop! Wake up girl!

• MizzCJ October 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM

GBAM!

• Nikii October 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

DANG!!!!!! God bless you for this!!!!! LWKMD!

• Sola September 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Wow ….. All the shopping is just too much and unnecessary. period. All in the name to impress and be considered a big girl. Smh.

• adeola September 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

She is 25 her parents money, even if its hers babe if u can read me. Watch ur back, u would neva before poor! Cos h&m zara will raise u again if u stop coming. Guess u no wt u doing. Be happy in wt u love. Bt to much of every kills

• ED September 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM

N1.2million plus 4 shopin at once, every 2 months for 6x a year? And at much lower prices in London; Am sure she has a clothing outlet or sth cos its nt just realistic. They didn’t give us d full gist.

• Pinkfunky September 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Pathetic!!!!

• yems September 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

If this was this dis girl’s idea of improving nigeria’s image, this is an epic fail! C’mon nw! Crunchy nut?!!! Lol!

• katchy September 30, 2012 at 6:58 PM

where the hell does she get the money from, is this even news worthy! typical nigerian

• @ajiriavae September 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM

This girl OBVIOUSLY travels to trade. Six trips at 5,000 pounds a trip? She is definately a trader.

• droplet September 30, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I’m pretty sure that the lady featured on this post reads Bella Naija or would have been directed to the post by a friend who reads BN. Now let’s say she had seen some kind of appeal for help from someone who is in genuine need. Everyone has the right to do whatever he/she likes with thier money, but this post shows that there are rich nigerians who don’t seem to know what to do with their wealth.

BN, your blog has an enormous and avid followership and sometimes features thought provoking articles. I would like to suggest that you set up a new section on your website which is dedicated to GENUINE charities (separate from your Inspired section). This is so that people who might be tempted to travel abroad to buy a bag of tea might have a more useful way of spending their time and money.

Please if there is someone there reading this who is willing and able to create something along the line of what I’ve suggested you may not have to wait for BN to do so. The postive change starts with each and every single one of us in our own little (or big) way. Little droplets……

• Funke BUCKNOR obruthe September 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Hmmmm. Article not complete

• tia September 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM

i know her personally and her parents are very rich so please stop this discussion of where she gets are money. Her sister titi is even worse when it comes to shopping. She can afford it so why not

• Gimmer October 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM

if her parents are rich nko? let;s be a bit sensitive to people who are strapped to hospital beds with no way of paying 20,000 naira medical bill. this in my opionion is straight up tacky if you ask me. i am sick of these omo oju o ri ola ri a.k.a money miss roads always making noise about material things. the ultra uber rich are actually very uncomfrotable discussing money. its; only the ones who woke up and kaboom they realize the bank is full that do this kinda cheap stunt…

• Pretty September 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Please my fellow Nigerian thank God for what you have and don’t envy anybody! Hmmmm do you know what her parents do for a living? Source of income?.all na wah. 3 years ago someone opened a blog and put the girls parents download. I no go talk.lets allow it.lol

• Pretty September 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Fellow Nigerian’s

• Naveah October 1, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Actually, it’s “fellow Nigerians”

• moi September 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM

i think it is the aggregated sum in one article that is scaring us all. Just take pen to paper and calculate how much u spend on recurrent expenditure and you would be shocked.
      A good lace fabric for a couple is about GBP700 that u will wear for an occassion.
      Check your dry cleaning bill with Garment Care for a year and you will be shocked.
      if you are registered with a diesel vendor and you check your annual spend, what will you see.
      i think we all shop big in Nigeria. pronto.
      i cleaned my kitchen some weeks ago and the volume of plastic spoons i saw their was over 80 in a new apartment of less than 6 months, what did that reveal, that i have spent average of N1500 x 80 = N120,000 about $800 on fast food that i took home, what of those you eat and thrash.
      Things are expensive that is just it

• Serpico October 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Your house must be really dirty if you have not cleaned after eating 80 meals, Yuk!

• Nastia October 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM

ROTFLMAO !!!!! Bellanaija commentators never disappoint .

• Sbaby September 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Its all packaging the article derailed from how mist nigerian women have been doing this years ago to just her
      Notice the continual refrence and mention of her name. Its alll publicity i bet she greased the writer my friend in london did this years ago and got a feature in then london news

• onpoint October 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Confessions of a shopaholic…

• T.S. October 1, 2012 at 4:13 AM

I think Lagos is ridiculously expensive. Why these stores triple their prices beats me. Many of these stores now ship international so I hope the craze will end soon.

• YummyMummy October 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

All I have to say is that Nigeria is not fair.I will continue to say that the gap between the rich and poor is too much,only in Nigeria do ordinary people can have like 7 personal cars.

Even kate Middleton will be questioned by the UK public if she spends this much,I read the article personally by evening standard on friday evening and I was mersmerized.

Reading the article i am not sure if she sells them,if she does she would have been willing to disclose her shop name or boutique for publicity.

One thing for sure is:When you work hard for your money you dont spend unnecessarily,the rich ones who works hard dont spend this much.

• PK- SA October 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM

mhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• Mma October 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Wow! That’s a whole load of shopping!

Check out this site ladies.

• Toyosi October 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Lol… I looove BN comments :)

• Nomy October 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Ok i don read finish, now please what does she do for a living? How come she can go to all these places and spend in millions? Who are her parents? She get boutique abi na she dey use all the things she dey buy? Me don dey obodo oyibo for some days now and am still going round looking for the cheapest places to shop, Zara is not even on my list of places to go and i have been working for over two years! Now who is this Lady again?

• Idak October 1, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I am really uninterested in the girl’s shopping, i am more interested and appalled by the writer and the mediocre article. I am a big critic of Nigerian journalists for their horrible articles but this is one piss poor article that even the average Nigerian journalist will be ashamed to churn out. I know it is just the London Evening Standard but still the article is poor. Lots of unanswered questions and the reader is left to assume way too much. As for the girl, whatever floats her boat.

• tubi October 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

with all her plenty money na M&S and Zara be her shopping destination? The girl needs to up her game badly or stop making noise.

• Adaora October 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I think that the lady is a boutique owner, who affords herself the opportunity of travelling regularly to keep up with the demands of her clients. Tubi, she didn’t make noise, it ws the magazine that sought her out.

• jim mones October 1, 2012 at 11:53 PM

how the hell do these Nigerians have this kind of money? not by honest means I imagine

• I don't have the funds October 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM

1- I can categorically tell you that the only thing false about that £30,000 figure is that she underestimated it. As hard as that may be to comprehend, Simisola and her younger sister- Titilayo spend way more than that on shopping

2- No she is not a runs girl neither is she a drug peddler!

3- She isn’t married to a rich man but her father is very wealthy; most people who went to school with them or were in the UK Nigerian scene can attest to this. So, she isn’t lying or exaggerating as some have implied.

4- The things she buys are not for resale, they are for herself and mainly designer items; hence the large sums. If she did it for business, surely she would have mentioned that as well as the name of her store to boost her PR and sales.

5- Yes, some of you may find it hard to believe that people do spend this amount but believe me they do. There are many who spend much more; by the time you buy a Birkin, 2 Chanel flap bags, throw in some red bottoms, that’s just an hour’s shopping and you’ve spent over £10,000. I’m sure you get the point.

6- I personally do not spend no where near this amount as I do not have the funds and I believe it is quite excessive; I would prefer to invest the money. Down payment on a mortgage maybe? But maybe if I had access to as much money as they do, I would feel differently, perhaps?

7- I did think about the CSR approach but someone rightly pointed out that every time we spend money, we are contributing to the economy, salaries, jobs etc and I guess her £30,000 is going a long way towards that so that’s a good point.

8- Overall, that is a lot of money to spend; I know compared to Hollywood celebs it is minute but I still think it’s excessive and she could put it to better use and as some people have suggested, turn it into a lucrative business by reselling. We don’t know what tomorrow holds and we should ensure we have enough to stand on our own two feet; when you have a reasonable amount of savings, steady income (not daddy) you can then begin to lavish!

• Sbaby October 2, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Simi great time taken to defend yourself above well done lol

• Ispy October 3, 2012 at 4:21 PM

In Nigeria if you have two shoes and a Mercedes you are considered rich. The Nigerian’s perception of wealth is dressing up in curtain material and spraying some illiterate muscician, that will wail their name, all night. There are 2 types of people in the world; those that invest their money to get richer and richer and those that spend their money trying to look rich. You never hear of the former, but the latter make a lot of noise. Good luck to them, if it makes them happy. As Warren Buffet says: ‘When the tide goes out, we’ll know those who were swimming naked’.

• UK student October 2, 2012 at 1:35 AM

What kind of wahala is this? I’m sure its one of these girls coming here to defend themselves! Who dash you that amount of money 6 times a year? Camman now! Yes they can afford to buy louboutins like many other Nigerian students in the UK but seriously Simi is a big fat liar if she says she gets that amount 6 times a year!!!! Maybe the mum might send her to buy a bag for her then that would make sense. Also, if they are so rich/wealthy, why is simi flying economy? Story wash people! I know people from way WEALTHIER famillies that don’t get that much so please stop this your fake image you’re trying to portray. No wonder Simi has not found husband yet, RABBISH. Fake and Phony. Realistically, she would probably be getting about £2,500 a trip.

• alexie October 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Yea u did defend urself wiv dis. Kudos… Buh i will still say if any1 of u av dis kind of money she has access to, u wud do d same trust me. it is because u dont av dat moni. Plus 4 ha parents to give ha dat kind of moni, u fink dey wudnt be doing charitable works??? ofcuz dey would. So u guys shud tink well and put urself in pples shoes at tyms before u put down ur comments

• Hopeful girl October 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Oh lord!! hmnnn Simi am happy for you oo but if i have half of that 30k i wouldn’t have to defer my admission this year…..GOD KNOWS BEST!

• km October 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM

This is the life style of most Nigerian middle-class/high class kids. It just so happens that hers is on bella Naija.

• Dimka October 3, 2012 at 4:54 AM

Empty barrel makes the loudest sound…the real don corleone rich don’t ever talk about money

• 'Dire October 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM

OMG!!! Now people are going bang out of order with this now! Enough pple, relaxxx honestly. So what if she isnt married yet, maybe she is just a young girl trying to enjoy her life and taking her time afterall most of the reasons why you desperate girls marry for these days is MONEY!, and guess what she’s blessed with parents who have it and r generous to their children. People are bringing her family into this as well, so so disrespectful, are we to be judged bcos of the family we come from now? Truth is people spend according to their income and these spending goes into what we are passionate about, what makes happy and stable enough to be able to cope with the stresses of life, cos trust me whether rich or poor we all face different challenges in life everyday. Spread love and kindness guys, life is really too short. And Im sure with all of the comments above, she’s sure wiser now where ever she is.. No one is perfect! STOP JUDGING! #LifeLessons

• Grace January 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Hmmmm,some people have the money sha o…..and Nigerians trust us,we like to be heard and seen. We are suffering and smiling. It will only get better though.

• abbot Morkel February 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM

good lifestyle.

• aj August 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM

some of you people sound bitter and jealous. she is rich! get over it!!!

• tobe August 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Same girl thats engaged to DrSid now, guess she’s legit then