2012 MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week: Jewel by Lisa presents “Fula”

Nigerian design label, Jewel by Lisa is always one to look out for during fashion week presentations. At the 2012 edition of the MTN Lagos Fashion and Design Week which took place from Wednesday 24th October – Saturday 27th October 2012 in the city of Lagos, we were presented with lots of multi-coloured luxury print outfits which paid homage to the modern day Fulani girl.

This Spring/Summer 2013 collection, according to the design label on twitter, is “A Modern day ode to the Fulani tribe”. From long dresses with thigh-high slits to knee length frocks with patterned cuts, this collection is a definitely must see.

2012 MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week: Jewel by Lisa

Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi for Insigna

31 Comments on 2012 MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week: Jewel by Lisa presents “Fula”
  • tybay October 30, 2012 at 9:02 am

I’m not “wowed” by this collection, but the fabric choice for most of the outfits are sure top-notch!

• SisiEko October 30, 2012 at 9:12 am

Nice and the prints, i Like. From my little observation, i think being a designer has been Re-mixed, because most brands lack originality but do a very good job with re-creating already existing designs. This is in a good way though as we know fashion evolves, even the big names and brands in this industry dont always have original designs, except in the art department.

• Ginika October 30, 2012 at 9:33 am

I love JBL, another of my fave Nigerian designer.

I love the prints and the fluidity of the fabrics. I like the tailoring as well, clean lines (nothing short of JBL). Although I have seen better collections from JBl, but this collection which is “A Modern day ode to the Fulani tribe” is simple just like the Fulani tribe, I guess. This tribute was spot on.

• xty October 30, 2012 at 9:39 am

JBL is getting boring and prredictable. But in terms of presentation,fabric and pr,I give it to them. This over done minimalist approach to their designs is boring!!!! Its just like zara with better fabric. Ok bye

• huh? October 30, 2012 at 9:55 am

Well said @sis Eko

• ihuoma October 30, 2012 at 9:58 am

Being a desinger now is how to get exclusive materials and recreate already existing designs abi? Anyways I love love the choice n colour of the prints but I can’t tell if they r embellished isn’t that jbl’s signature? Kudos anyways love it!

• goldfinch October 30, 2012 at 10:00 am

I like!

• Sbaby October 30, 2012 at 10:14 am

The fabrics are nice

• new bride October 30, 2012 at 10:44 am

Still trying to make the fulani connection

• sassycassie October 30, 2012 at 10:50 am

Nice collection, but what’s Fulani got to do with it? I understand she was going for an ‘exotic’, ‘otherness’ theme, but nothing about this collection reminds me of the Fulanis

• nems October 30, 2012 at 10:56 am

Love the fluidity of this collection, you can tell the quality of the fabric is great!! I want all the Silk Dresses! Lisa designs some amazing fabrics, maybe she should branch out and start selling her fabrics.

• skimpy October 30, 2012 at 11:05 am

i thin these people think they r deceiving us! every single time its the same designs but different fabrics! pls try something new abeg! i hate to think people are applauding you for the fabrics than the so called designs

• lex October 30, 2012 at 11:17 am

This should be called, Maki Oh inspired…I used to love JBl

• Kay October 30, 2012 at 11:34 am

It’s always clear who saw the collection live and who didn’t. I can’t over-emphasise the need for PR teams to send detailed press releases with detail shots. The Fulani connection would’ve been blatant if this had been done; readers would’ve immediately spotted the Fulani-style earring and basket print, for instance. They would’ve also noticed that JBL now designs their own shoes. This collection is packed full with details and it’s a shame that no one has taken the time to point them all out. I saw the collection ‘in person’ so I know JBL shut.it.down. and it’s sad that the effort has not been fully appreciated because of these flat, one-dimensional shots.

• sassycassie October 30, 2012 at 1:19 pm

You’re right about better written press releases.

• Ginika November 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm

@kay, I hear your argument but with all the attention to details the ensemble as a whole is as captivating as it should be. Some pieces work well and some didn’t quite do it for me. JBL designs and make wearable pieces but some of the ensemble isnt as flattering as her previous collections. However, I do love the earrings and some of the shoes :)

• Non professional opinion October 30, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Jbl said this season they were doing things Their. Own .Way
    That is a bold statement that implies that this collection truly sums up the essence of who they are today.
    Something’s are clear, whether Ankara or silk they know how to work with prints. They always put out well thought out cohesive collections and Eku will look great in most of these pieces.

On the less positive side, the cut of quite a few of the pieces is far from flattering and even the mini wavy collar gives the models a low-breasted proportion. As a few people have already mentioned a lot of it is less than original, but most of all, there is an upbeat energy that I’ve come to expect from jbl that is missing in these pieces. It has crossed the line from cohesive to monotonous.
    On the flipside, the partnership with blackberry was a major coup, and the resulting cases were lovely.

• Jummy October 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Lovely inspiration and prints, but I question the styling. No connection towards d fulani tribe. Looks like any other design from the west. Simply put no originality : (

• Love October 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Not bad- fashion and ‘inspiration’ is interesting because this collection definitely reminds me of some of Stella McCartneys dresses.

• Non professional opinion October 30, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I see what you see. But I think jbl’ s formula has always been Remix pieces from western designers. Add African print. Cover in sparkle. Maybe because the prints are getting more western the ” borrowing” is more obvious.

• Couture By Makioba October 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm

not feeling JBL designs anymore……i still like her sha…

• M October 30, 2012 at 6:39 pm

For the first time ever not wowed

• Bugacious October 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Hmmmmm…..akisa.

• Angelique October 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm

This collection is beautiful and I would love to get my hands on the long green flowy thigh high slit dress …. seriously, I am in awe!!!

• Radiant October 30, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I say #fashion is overrated!

• Africanoyinbo October 30, 2012 at 7:50 pm

JBL….. some of the prints were good. Tota yawn fest….i did see some pictures on onenigerianboy’s blog…. they clearly went the extra mile and had shoes made in line with their seasons prints…. the fula connection is just in the print not the actual clothes and the purses…..hmmmmmm not really digging them. Not a great effort.

• funmi October 31, 2012 at 11:16 am

i like jbl but i really do hope i will appreciate this collection better when from their lookbook

• Nikelyn October 31, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Agreed! Print of life but not feeling the design and where did her embellishments go?