Think Big! Hit It Big!

Have you ever taken time to think deeply about the decisions you make, the consequences of your actions, and what it is you desire in life? If not, consider this; you are in control of your life to the degree to which you are able to control how you think. You cannot perpetually think negative thoughts of despair, failure and hopelessness and end up in success.

Your life tends to move in the direction of your most dominant thoughts, therefore you must consciously choose what thoughts you let grow in your mind, so you can have authority as to how your life turns out.

The mind is a vital part of the human being. It is that part of you that is able to conceptualize inspired ideas. With your mind you can take hold of an intangible idea and make it a reality in the world. If you do not learn to take control of your mind and plant useful seed in it, then the abundance of useless thoughts that pervade your world will settle and begin to produce after their kind.

Whatever thoughts dominate your mind will shape the way you perceive situations and alter what you believe. From then on your actions become predictable habits which are resultant of your set way of thinking. These habits then govern the course of your destiny. You will have to make a choice daily, and every moment to choose thoughts that will get you to a successful destination.

If you look through the pages of history, you will find that everyone who made a revolutionary impact in the world chose a thought that challenged the status-quo. They consciously chose to follow after a thought process that transcended the realm of thought of others. It was a thought that transformed the way we use computers. It was a thought that transformed the way we move from house to market, and from country to country. It was a thought that transformed the way we do business through corporations. It was a thought that got Barack Obama into the White House despite all odds against him.

Now think; if a thought was responsible for making a mark in the sands of time, what defining moments are possible for you if you decide to take a hold of your thoughts and actually think for yourself and for your destiny?

Take time out today to imagine what your life can be outside of the current circumstance you are living in. I remember the story of the Tower of Babel in Genesis 11:6. The people had set out against the desire of God to build a tower that will reach heaven, and this is without the modern day construction equipment, but the Lord said, “Behold, they are one people and they have all one language (or mind); and this is only the beginning of what they will do, and now nothing they have imagined (or thought) they can do will be impossible for them.” [I added the words in parenthesis for clarity and illustration].

Develop confidence in yourself and in your ability to reach your goals. Many people who desire a better life, really do not believe they are worthy of it, or they make the mistake of seeking the permission of others to live their dream. How many times do we  think about a business idea, or a meaningful project to provide social justice, or things as simple as a house that we really like, and we automatically discount our ability to attain to the dream. Rather than see ourselves starting the business, contributing to the needs of people, and living in the house, we say something like, “I can’t imagine myself doing _______”, and follow it with an excuse of why we cannot.

I once stood in the observatory deck of the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world.  In a 2009 interview, the sheikh of Dubai was asked why he wanted to build something that tall, to which the sheikh responded, “why not?” This was a feat that was once thought to be impossible by architectural and engineering experts. But he thought on a different level than everyone else, and without apology to anyone. It was no surprise to see this quote at the entrance , “there is no impossibility in the leaders’ dictionaries. No matter how big the challenges, strong faith, determination and resolve will overcome them.” Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.

Write down what it is you truly desire. The process of writing down your thoughts helps reinforce them. What do you desire in life? In your business? In your career? In your relationship? Be very clear on your goals and your purpose, don’t just write because you think it’s a good idea or because it will impress someone else. Rather, write what is most consistent with your personal beliefs. Writing takes something from the intangible and brings it one step closer to the tangible realm. If these dreams just remain in your imagination, then they will fade away as lofty ideas. Articulate your thoughts, let them be thoughts of victory, success, love, hope, purity, optimism, promotion, abundance, growth and all things good and beautiful.

Give yourself time daily to affirm your dreams, goals and vision. Affirm your goals and desires daily until they begin to drive your behavior and actions. A target that is clearly seen is much easier to hit than one that is vague. The Bible records in Joshua 1 God preparing Joshua to take on the Promised Land saying, “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.” (1:8). You have to do the same with your goals and dreams. Keeping them before you day and night will ensure that they remain as your most dominant thoughts. This will also keep you motivated, and ready for the burst of inspiration that will take you from where you are to where you need to be in life. Also remember, out of sight is out of mind.

Identify and remove obstacles. Every journey has obstacles along the way. As you embark on yours, you will face challenges, but if you are able to anticipate some of the challenges you may be faced with, with adequate preparation you can deal with them. As an example, if your desire is to start a business, identify what your business will be doing, what your market is, what human resources you will need (intellectual, relationships, laborers etc), and how much money you need to raise. The next thing is to ask yourself what hindrances there are to getting all of the things you have identified. What steps can you take to overcome the challenges? Do you need to get more education? Do you need to build more networks? In what little ways can you raise money? While you may not be able to identify all, but you run a lower risk of discouragement and letting negative thinking set in if you are prepared. It’s also important to note that the exercise is not for you to identify and dwell on the obstacles, but you’re brainstorming for solutions.

Diligently pursue. Every thought must be followed by a diligent pursuit. You must persistently apply yourself; time and resources to investigating, researching, gaining additional knowledge and cultivating the idea inspired within you to a reality. Diligence is the basic law of success and achievement. Whatever you invest yourself into will in return give back to you in multiple measures. The exercise is not just to think differently, but also to take charge of your life. Don’t procrastinate. Start immediately. Remember always that tomorrow is the only day in the year that appeals to a lazy man.

Be enthusiastic. Let your thoughts about your new life excite you so much that you act as though it were already. When asked about it, don’t be negative, don’t speak against what you want, but speak with confidence and enthusiasm. Let your excitement and earnest expectation be heard in your words and seen in your action. Charles F. Kettering said, “High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.”

Friend, think big! Always remember that the quality of  the life that you have is the quality of the mind you carry. You attract the material equivalent of your most dominant thoughts. Therefore, never let your circumstances determine how you think, because whatever thoughts become dominant in your mind will eventually recreate itself in your reality. Rather take charge of your thoughts and watch your life change.

I’ll like to hear from you, what changes are you making? In what ways do you choose to think differently about your life, relationships, career etc? Drop a comment!

#BeInspired
Photo credit: vjm.hk
Moyo Mamora PictureMoyo Mamora is a visionary leader and an insightful teacher of Biblical life principles. He is the author of Young & Purposeful: Discovering and fulfilling purpose early in life, and Power Points for Success. He has a personal goal to empower people to live a victorious life! He runs a personal blog at www.moyomamora.com and you can connect on twitter @MoyoMamora, and facebook: moyomamoralive

32 Comments on Think Big! Hit It Big!
  • Kemi December 7, 2012 at 11:04 am

Thanks, this is a great write-up, there are so many things i want changed in my life; relationship, career wise and in my everyday existence. I will start by working on my thoughts henceforth.

• Moyo Mamora December 7, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Nice one Kemi. That’s an appropriate first step. Figure out in what ways you may have been thinking wrongly about your different situations, and from there adjust appropriately. Thumbs up!

• Bambino December 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Thanks Moyo,I like the way you still included God in your article.With Him everything is possible.One thing I still find hard to understand is why sometimes one plans a whole lot of things but things would not just work out as planned no matter how hard one tries

• Moyo Mamora December 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Thanks Bambinno, I do my best to ensure that my faith in God is the foundation for all I do. As per things going wrong, I’m sure you’ll agree that it’s not everything that goes wrong, but just a few things. The important thing is to adjust your mindset as to how you deal with setbacks. If a plan goes wrong, take a step back and figure out what about it went wrong. Then revisit the drawing board and take another shot. You may also have to determine if it’s worth another shot.

Remember, if you work the right principles, they will work for you. You might be faced with challenges here and there, but you also know that consistency and diligence are keys to breakthrough. Read this http://moyomamora.com/living-above-failure/

Let me know how things go.

• Felicitibelle December 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm

This is definitely for me. Thanks for the word in season, just in time. A booster!

• Uche December 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Great and inspiring article!

• Ajoke December 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Love this, good job.

• pelumi December 7, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I love this,very lnteresting.

• femmelounge December 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm

thank you Moyo. This is uplifting.

• lily December 7, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Thank you Moyo for reminding me of the power of positive thinking.You might wanna look up “The Writings of Florence Scovel Shinn”. ordering the book right away…has great affirmations!!!

• Moyo Mamora December 8, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Thanks Lily, I’ll look it up!

• anon December 8, 2012 at 3:37 am

Emailed this to myself thank you, its a keeper. Going through stuff in my relationship this came in handy

• Fredilia Momodu December 8, 2012 at 5:39 am

Truly inspiring! You can also check out my personal blog where I educate and inspire from personal experiences- D Truth Uncensored http://www.frediliadtruthuncensored.blogspot.com

• peace December 8, 2012 at 9:15 pm

My moyo tis is my first time am reading ur write up thank u so much fr this its so mind lifting God bless u fr tis pls can u be sending these wRite up to my e mail box?

• Moyo Mamora December 11, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Hi Peace, thanks very much for your kind words, as per recieving my BN posts in your mailbox, i’m not sure how that can happen. I’m working on adding an email subscription form to my blog site http://www.moyomamora.com. I’ve been out for a while so it’s not done. That way you can get my posts. Another way is to connect on facebook (facebook.com/moyomamoralive), I post my articles on there.

• Moyo Mamora December 11, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Also to add Peace, and everyone else interested, I just setup the RSS feed for my blog, so you can also subscribe @ http://feeds.feedburner.com/moyomamora

• Aisha December 9, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Thank you for this article, Moyo. You are very right, because when I began to act in a way as though I had already achieved my goals, only then did they come my way and this also attracted positive and like minded people my way. What a lovely and truthful article. Thank you.

• Okunribido Moses December 10, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Part of the lifetime information that we need so as to grow in every sphere of our affairs is released out unto us. Simple and precise! This article really matters.Job well done sir!

• Moyo Mamora December 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Thanks Moses for your contribution!

• Anonymousone December 10, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Moyo!

This is really good because at a (2 months ago) time in my life i required change. I basically had to start by first making teh right decisions. I learnt that my decisions should be based on what i know about a situation am in and not on feelings or what i think. Your write up is o true because when i articulated my thoughts in writing i printed the sheet and out it in my purse, I was so excited when i started the journey of changing my weight and my personality. I literally smile to work everyday thinking about my plans for change.
    I must say that in a month of make definite changes i have transformed and am so thankful to God. Your write up goes further to justify my change and achievement process.
    Your a blessing

• Moyo Mamora December 11, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Big ups to you! Congratulations to you on your achievement…keep aiming higher, and exceed your past goals.

• jullieth December 11, 2012 at 2:14 pm

very true brother…..big up

• Elizabeth December 11, 2012 at 2:32 pm

True word

• Moyo Mamora December 11, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Thank you all for your comments. I’m glad to know that this has inspired and blessed many. My joy will be to hear reports of how you’ve gotten results from practicing these. I just don’t want to inspire you, but to challenge you to take action, because that when you’ll begin to see results!

• Doyeen Mabs December 11, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thanks a lot Moyo. For me, knowing the right things to say, do or think is different from actually saying, doing or thinking them. The first battle one has to conquer is truly our minds; every other thing comes easy with God. I read a piece on bbm today that says, “The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem”. Well, that stopped me in my tracks and made me have a new view to life. Most times, we know these things. It’s just putting them into play that’s difficult. But thank God for heads up like yours. I’m inspired once more and ruling my world!

• rachel December 12, 2012 at 12:44 am

thanks so much, this is food for thought. thanks am going to chage the way i think now

• iwalewa December 12, 2012 at 12:44 pm

very inspiring.infact as im reading,im writing down key points.im so inspired and very soon,i will send you my success story. cos right now,im thinking BIG.

• Moyo Mamora December 12, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Iwalewa, i’ll be expecting your story. Thanks ;)

• Shobby December 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm

You are so right Moyo, the phrase “the quality of the life that you have is the quality of the mind you carry” says alot, i am so into that. Thank you for this write up.

• Adaora January 7, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Thank you for this write up..its very appealing and straight to the point. i have shared this with my loved ones. its like a stone thrown in water with a rippling effect. God bless.

• kazeem January 10, 2013 at 10:51 pm

thank you very sir! I’m inspired.

• Bello Akinola Emmanuel February 25, 2013 at 11:37 am

Indeed you are the bomb. Your articles have really blessed lives out there. Beyond reasonable doubt, you’re the Abraham Lincoln of our time. More power to your elbow.