Nollywood actor/model IK Ogbonna recently had a one-on-one chat with Encomium Weekly.

The movie star who recently returned from a trip to the United States of America spoke to the EW rep on acting alongside Vivica A. Fox, challenges of being an actor, his relationship status, his daughter and the rumours about his sexuality.

The reporter was invited to  Ikay’s home in VGC, Lagos.

Read Excerpts from the interview;
On allegations that his recent trip to the US was for gigolo “runs” – I can never tell people what to say.  There is freedom of speech which God gave us, which our constitution also gave us.  People don’t really know my story. I have heard different things about me.  I have heard that I am a gigolo, gay that I have foolish attitude, that I am a snub.

But if they get closer to me they would say they did know I am this kind of person.  Some people don’t know I had a very rough beginning, even though my parents were on the average. I moved to Lagos alone and I had a very rough time.  I slept on the street sometimes.  Seven years ago when I moved down to Lagos, for like three years or so, I slept in cars.

I had this friend of mine that I used to sleep in his car and burn insecticide at night. I always carry myself well because I know where I am destined to be. I kept on pushing.  Sometimes I slept over at the club when there is no friend’s house to pass the night.  I was homeless.  I had things very rough at a particular point in time.  It is God’s grace that is working for me. When people say I am a gigolo, I am waiting for the person that will come and tell me I slept with his mother.

If one person can just come and tell me, IK see this woman you are sleeping with, she is my mother and I will admit I am a gigolo.

On allegedly being called gay – Like I told you, I never thought I was going to be an actor.  I was more into business.  I am involved in a lot of things.  Acting is just something that just came and I loved it.  A greater percentage of my money is from business.  I am an Igbo man (laughs). I want to get into Forbes and it is not by acting alone.

I have to work very hard and be creative with my ideas.  (The) Money I get from movies will go to charity.  For the gay thing, I don’t blame people, but the truth is I love women.  God created man for woman not the other way round.  Leviticus 18 verse 22 where the Bible tells us it is forbidden for a man to be with man.  I won’t judge those calling me gay or tell them what to do.

Gay is a very deadly thing and I am someone that respects God a lot.  I try to keep His commandments. I know I am very adventurous and I have a very high fashion sense.  You can see me wearing a three-quarter pants, colourful things and thank God for making me a fine boy.  When people say I am a gigolo or gay it’s their own judgement.  There is no man or woman that can ever come out and say IK has slept with me or a mother that is above age that will say I am sleeping with her and she pays me.

When you’re successful people will always talk. They should keep talking and promoting my brand.

On why there are rumours that he is gay and a gigolo –  Human beings (laughs).  There is one thing about me, people are busy talking about me and I am working, who is losing?  I don’t know these people and I don’t intend to know them.

On how the allegations affect him – No, it doesn’t.  The only person I owe any explanation is God.  I don’t owe human beings any explanation.  As long as I know I am in His good book and my conscience is clear, I am not bothered.

On the latest about him – Basically, I have been working a lot trying to push my modeling career. I want to do modeling on a higher scale, model for the biggest brands in the world.

On his visit to the United States of America – I was in Atlanta and New York. I went to the New York Film School to improve my acting.  Those little things we pay attention to, I wanted to work them out.  I was also in Washington DC, Miami, Los Angeles, Texas and Dallas.  Those were the places I went to.  There are many producers in the States too.  Some of their movies are sub-standard but they are trying to meet up with Nollywood. I also pushed my modelling career.

On if he is in a relationship with the mother of his daughter – No, we are just friends. (IK’s daughter Mikayla will be two in December)

On if he is in a relationship – With time you people will know.  When I decide to get married I will release a press statement.

On if he is in a relationship with Adokiye – Adokiye and I cannot date. We are in a position that we cannot even think of dating.  We are really close.  We are like brother and sister and she knows most of my secrets.  We are not dating.

31 Comments on IK Ogbonna: “I am Very Adventurous…It’s their Own Judgement”! Nollywood Actor/Model on Allegations about his Sexuality
  • Marc Francis of Chelsea November 7, 2013 at 11:24 am

Gurl bye!

• Omolola November 7, 2013 at 11:34 am

IK has done very well for himself. I’m so proud of him. I know some guys he used to do business with like 4 years ago and today they are nowhere he is. He’s a born hustler and he’s going to go very far. Keep on dear, the sky is just the beginning. Meanwhile, the liking use makeup???

• #Naijapose.com November 7, 2013 at 11:48 am

Lol, Nigerians with their plenty Gossip!

• Fatimah November 7, 2013 at 11:50 am

I dislike his pose and those horrendous tatoos I hate! But he has a great body for clothes bar the face.

The interview leaves much to be desired.

• The Kinkster November 7, 2013 at 11:57 am

” I went to the New York Film School to improve my acting.”

Thank God bros, c0s you need am badly!!!

• Hurpeyeahmie November 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm

@kinkster lmaooooooo @cos u need am badly

• george November 7, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I believe ik is not gay but gigolo bros no lie we all know you but come to think of it. Alex is GAY and we have been seeing this two together, hmmmmm something really dey.

• ms lala November 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm

lol..yeah its true…trust me i know smh

• I Rock November 7, 2013 at 1:04 pm

“I don’t know these people and I don’t intend to know them”…ouch!

• Que November 7, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Lovely body for clothes. Norin else I’m a fan of. Ciao.

• whocares November 7, 2013 at 1:15 pm

gay is a very deadly thing. yes, of course it is. it approaches you with its deadly sword poised to rip out your guts horror flick style. you let our a blood curdling “NOOO” but gay whispers “no one can hear you scream, you are helpless”, you fight and struggle but alas you are no match for this deadly gay, and with your final breath you wish for one more glimpse of your mother just to tell her you love her, but no its too late now. you have been got! lool. my madness over, I don’t even know who the dude is, but its funny to me how these gossips true or not just spread. lol. does anyone know anything about the rumours though? i am looking for gist aka gossip :)

• Leah November 7, 2013 at 5:41 pm

How do you know all this? Are you gay? The kind of details
      you just laid out can only come from experience. And you’re looking
      for more gist on him?

• whocares November 8, 2013 at 9:44 am

LMAOOOOOO. I hope to gods your comment was a joke.

• whocares November 8, 2013 at 9:44 am

LMAOOOOOO. I hope to gods your comment was a joke.

• nawa November 7, 2013 at 8:39 pm

meeeen that’s some deep sh*t, have you novel writing or something (not even joking) imagery gi dikwa egwu

• Mz Socially Awkward… November 8, 2013 at 11:45 am

O DIKWA EGWU! HAHAHAHAHA!!! @whocares, you need to be writing IK’s next screenplay …. :-)

• Bliss November 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm

There’s a common joke in hollywood, that you know you are successful when the gay rumours start coming. Davido this. IK that. Genevieve . . . .Me sha I know I’m going to be famous, so I’ve started to build a thick skin. I love how Beyonce doesn’t answer nonsense rumours. People will always talk, they’ll take the truth you’ve spoken and twist it for their evil gratification.

• nene November 7, 2013 at 6:23 pm

my dear, if there are gay rumors surrounding a celebrity,
      most times its true. there are certain top/a-list actresses, actors
      and singers who are bisexual and most people know, while some
      gossip and get the gist outside. i won’t say more.

• Bliss November 8, 2013 at 1:25 am

I bet there are but I for one I don’t think someone like Geneieve would be part of that mess and her name has surfaced every now and again simply because she hasn’t tired the knot. I don’t follow Alex Ekubo that closely, but from my understanding I don’t think he’d be into shady business. If its because he doesn’t hit it and quit like other celebrities like D’banj, then by the same token, Links(bella naijas sweetheart ;) ) could pass as gay too because I don’t see him rounding up numbers either.

• Gabriel Shaze ™ November 11, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Like Tuface/MI sang……If nobody talk about you, then you
        are nobody……..at this point, only God knows for sure

• Aibee November 7, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Errr, please is the woman carrying the little girl his baby mama and is that his daughter? #JustAsking

• tasha July 18, 2014 at 10:10 am

Nooo…the woman is his baby nd the baby the baby mama…go ask yeme alade…see question..u no sabi read????go back and read well..dnt jus look at picture nd forget to read….LAM

• Bella November 7, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Gay or not, Gigolo or not, Only God above can judge him,
    the rest of them – well dearies – take several seats right at the
    back. Is he your son, brother or cousin, he is making his money and
    yet people are busy saying gay or gigolo! get yours boo boo. keep
    the rest talking and answer on the day of judgement!

• sara November 7, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Well…I applaud him on taking acting classes. I wish the rest of nollywood would try to improve their acting skills.

• Cee Cee November 7, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Gigolo/ Gay or not. We know that there’s a lot of gays in Nollywood the same way we have millions of them in Nigeria. No one in his right senses here will come out n claim he is gay cos of the culture, stereotypes, business wise etc so the best thing to do is to keep denying the rumour and live ur life

• nene November 7, 2013 at 6:24 pm

my dear, if there are gay rumors surrounding a celebrity,
    most times its true. there are certain top/a-list actresses, actors
    and singers who are bisexual and most people know, while some
    gossip and get the gist outside. i won’t say more.

• nawa November 7, 2013 at 8:43 pm

” thank God for making me a fine boy” lmao awestruck by his humility

• D.A November 8, 2013 at 12:39 am

The title is very misleading!

• Loves2Laugh November 8, 2013 at 9:09 am

What’s wit the Guinness cursor sef…BN una don dey over-advertise sha

• Jojo Daniels December 11, 2013 at 12:06 pm

gosh this guy cant construct a single good sentence …..smh

• lily March 13, 2014 at 2:25 am

leave him alone. he’s come a long way.