Hauwa Mukan & Keziah Jones’ 2-Year Marriage Over

Hauwa Mukan Keziah Jones Breakup

Hauwa & Keziah on their wedding day

Radio personality Hauwa Mukan and International Soul Star Keziah Jones were a couple we loved. With their unique style and all that sweet stuff.

Sadly it has been confirmed that the couple has officially split.

All recent indications point to a breakup of the couple’s 2 year marriage. The recent actions of Hauwa and Keziah who wed in Lagos on the 14th of January 2012 have sparked rumours of their separation. It started with a radio interview which the soul musician gave a few weeks ago, when asked about his wife, he simply chuckled in response even after being probed by the interviewer, made no mention of his wife. This is in contrast with previous interviews where he spoke enthusiastically about his sweetheart.

Keziah was also spotted at various art and music related events in Lagos during the festive season and each time, Hauwa was not with him despite being present in Lagos. A browse through the Paris-based musician’s instagram page also revealed no photos of his wife since July 2013. Hauwa on the other hand was seen at Genevieve Magazine & Veuve Clicquot’s “Fashion & Style Day Out” conspicuously without her wedding ring. BN photographers noted that Hauwa looked “sad” and despite being beautifully dressed, noted her reluctance to pose for any press photos.

Hauwa Keziah BN

It is being speculated that the vast 18 year age difference between the couple – Keziah is 46 while Hauwa is 28 as well their long distance marriage might be the cause of the breakup.

Sources close to the couple have confirmed the breakup. However, no official statement is being released for now.

Keziah Jones who recently released a new critically-acclaimed album “Captain Rugged” is currently in Japan for a show, after that he will embark on a multi-city European tour which kicks off in March 2014 while Hauwa has just been announced as the Fashion Editor of the Nigerian-edition of international magazine PRIDE.

Photo Credit: Kelechi Amadi-Obi | Insigna Media

60 Comments on Hauwa Mukan & Keziah Jones’ 2-Year Marriage Over
  • sigh February 10, 2014 at 11:58 am

Awwww, no. My heart goes out to you both. Be strong!

• Hurperyearmie February 10, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Awwwwwwww! It is well

• PDPA crew February 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm

All this marriage breakup sef don tire me… The devil is really tearing homes! We just have to be prayerful.

• TA February 10, 2014 at 12:33 pm

As well as being prayerful we also have to make sacrifices and compromises to keep relationships that truly matter to us. Am not in Keziah and Hauwa’s marriage (don’t even know who they are) so I have no comment on it. I just want to point out though that so many marriages end because of refusal by both parties to compromise on issues relating but not limited to careers and job related issues,where to live,kids,social life etc, marriage just like every other meaningful relationship is hardwork and its not for the fainthearted or the ones who just stubbornly refuse to see beyond their opinions or make adjustments as the need arises. People change,yes we all do. Instead of trying to ‘force’ your partner into the ideal partner you have in your mind’s eye why not adjust to the reality that is? Nothing beats laying all the cards before marriage but its impossible to cover all bases. So folks,please compromise,adjust,meet halfway,fight for that loving marriage you dreamed and hoped for and maybe,just maybe, it may survive and thrive and bloom into ‘happily ever after’.

• i no send February 10, 2014 at 12:58 pm

gbam this is what i hav bin telling my younger friends

• moi February 10, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I LOVE YOU!!!!. You said it all indeed. No one wants to make sacrifices. They feel marriage is some perfect hollywood movie.

• Naveah February 10, 2014 at 4:46 pm

In fact, no other comments should have been posted after your points because you laid out of the UNADULTRATED truth!

• teetee February 12, 2014 at 10:58 am

@TA since you can give advise. Please What do you do when you’re married to a man who refuses to do anything with you any longer, who has become like your roommate, who doesnt buy you gifts, wish you happy birthday on your birthday, valentines day or anniversaries (even though you wish him happy birthday, anniversary and even buy gifts for him on those days), goes no where with you even though you’re beautiful and sexy, who does not engage you in any conversation and even when you try to have a conversation with him, he either shuts down or says youre arguing with him. A man who makes important decisions in the house without your input, one who goes to the market to buy foodstuff, just cos he doesnt want to give you any money. One who never supports your dreams, never gives you advise and never rejoices with you when you’re successful. one who has refused to eat your food and insists on cooking his own food all the time, in spite of all your efforts and pleas to him to tell you what to do and for him to please hear your cry that you want things to change. People say meet half way but he doesnt meet anywhere, he stays rigidly where he is and refuses to budge, it takes two to make a marriage work, one person cannot do it all. So i dont blame people who walk out! you dont know how it is in the home for some women. When youre being emotionally and psychologically abused, then its time to move on. You dont have to wait to be physically abused. Thank God I put an end to the physical abuse when I decided to fight back with all my might and gave him a scar he would never forget many years ago. Sometimes when people give advise on marriage, I say to myself maybe they are yet to meet the man who is like the one i know… But if you have a really good solution or advise on what i just said please i would like to hear it.

• Mama Mia!!! February 10, 2014 at 12:23 pm

The Old fashion way of marriage is better to me, no sex, just letters as a means of communication. The world is something else now all thanks to the so called westernization!!!

• sigh February 10, 2014 at 12:34 pm

so we didn’t engage in premarital sex b4 the White man?

• Mama Mia!!! February 10, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Some did for sure! Only, it was almost seen as taboo, it was never something we felt proud of and dared not discuss our ‘bedmatics’ to friends like it was some sort of achievement! Things have definitely changed making it hard for relationships to thrive. Marriage is now only a formal affair, cause, during courtship all has been exhausted both in emotions and sexual connection that it is so hard to expect more after marriage. D’nt know much on the relationship between Brad and Angelina or Scott and Kourtney but I think it is best to stick to that type of relationship and not lie to ourselves, unless we are ready to challenge what the institution really stands for. (Better a broken relationship or partnership ”whatever they call it these days” than a broken marriage) Call a spade a spade! That being said, I sympathize with the couple and wish them well in their personal endeavors…

• Marc Francis of Chelsea February 10, 2014 at 12:47 pm

What do you mean? Your mind is stuck in a fool’s paradise if you think all issues in the world can be chucked up to “the West”. Is it not in our Africa that girl children could/can be sold off into marriage for bride price money/pay off debts? Where before the “white man” came in, your ancestors calculated wealth by who had the most wives? Asides from marriage, is it not your ancestors that kept people as slaves after capturing their villages and sold them to white men for wealth and status? Please darling, SIT!

• Mama Mia!!! February 10, 2014 at 1:20 pm

We are all allowed to have an opinion. Okay? You have yours, I have mine, Stick to yours, and I’ll stick to mine. But, do not insult my mind or intelligence! not cool. If I decide to go that far with you, It will really be a problem for BN to publish my comments. So, yeah, I see your point but do not necessarily agree with it. whether you see mine, is up to you. Fin!!!

• AA February 10, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Very intelligent response. I am tired of all this “blame the West” rubbish. Like life was so great in Africa before the white man came. We humans have issues we need to deal with and we should take responsiblity for them, rather than blaming the “west”

• Naveah February 11, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Like I said to Ricky, you didn’t have to go there with “please sit darling”…where does a conversation go after you belittle another person because they have a different view from yours? You made a great point but ruined it with the unnecessary addition at the end, it negates the value of what you stated because you come off arrogant at the end.

• Opinion April 23, 2014 at 11:37 am

Mama MIA has a point a very strong point …you may not agree with it but there is a lot of truth in it…marriage has been relegated to only a signature on paper…nothing major to look forward to because traditional values aren’t being upheld. It may sound archaic but its true…it’s also the same reason why many men don’t want to settle down because they are getting all the benefits of marriage for free.

• Ricky February 10, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Your “opinion” is foolish, Mama Mia. Grow up.

• camo February 10, 2014 at 1:34 pm

The truth sure do hurts….

• Naveah February 11, 2014 at 4:07 pm

How mature of you…NOT! Why can’t you defend your point without having to condescend to her with “grow up” and calling her opinion “foolish.” You can disagree without being an ass wipe about it!

• Noni February 10, 2014 at 6:18 pm

All this westernisation did this, westernisation did that. Why don’t you throw back your computers, cars and Iphones to “the west” and then we’ll truly know that you dislike the west. Until then stop enjoying the benefits while blaming all of society’s deficiencies on America and UK. Hypocrites.

• Miss Anonymous February 10, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Mama Mia do you mean letters as a means of communication while courting or while married?

• Mama Mia!!! February 10, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I meant before courting…

• nomad February 10, 2014 at 1:45 pm

No be only letters, talking drum too.

Nah oyibo man give us paper and biro to write letter? No be teknologie too? Since you’re so anti-westernization, leave matter (and your laptop/smartphone plus DSTV with E network) that you are using to preach your boring and poorly thought out rant and let us live in peace. Go back to your abacus or something.

• Bleed Blue February 10, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Nomad you’re mean! But funy as heck…oh dear lawd please don’t let them sack me :)

I think Mama Mia was referring to old values…as against old ways…to me her reference to letter writing was a metaphor…y’all need to cut her a bit of slack jor.

• Noni February 10, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Haha just scrolled down to see what I was just saying. Thank you

• Er Uwata a Kano. February 10, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Reefer smoking could not keep the marriage i presume?
    Oya now!

• Abibi February 10, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I think its very unfair to use such harsh words as ‘fool’ or ‘foolish’. We can not all be on the same page, but it gives us no right to insult anyone. That being said, even though I do not 100% agree with Mama Mia blaming all our problems on westernization, I totally agree with you on the fact that premarital sex is nothing but trouble, however it is not as a result of westernisation because somehow, even our very own African & moral ideals that have nothing to do with westernisation are dead. But whether we accept that truth or not, we all put the cart before the horse and one way or the other, it always comes back to haunt us in Marriage and the first place it rears its ugly head is in Trust. As she rightly said, Marriage has just become a formality and there’s never much to look forward to. I feel sorry for the couple. Only if generations to come could learn from us.

• Mama Mia!!! February 10, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Thank you o Jare, An opinion is just that… and I do appreciate your point of view…

• Mama Mia!!! February 10, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Na wa o, I see I struck so many nerves with my statement. The term westernization in my statement is relative. However, if you do not agree with me, feel free to ignore my comment and type-in your intended comments. I still stand by my statement…

• olusolape February 10, 2014 at 2:07 pm

That’s sad tho. Divorce has become a normal thing in Nigeria. Check here guys healthcoliseum.com

• Modella February 10, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Such a cute couple..BN did you say the age gap might be the cause???

• ao February 10, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Marriage can be sweet, but those that are thinking of entering into it need to realize that marriage is everyday and takes deliberate effort to sustain. It is not a casual relationship that you can end with a text, phone call, or tweet and then move on to the next one. It is better to be single forever than to marry and divorce. Too traumatic and disorganizing.

• Chic February 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Only BN photographers will notice that someone looks sad hahaha

• Blossom February 10, 2014 at 2:30 pm

BN! See stalking sturves… “browse through instagram…” “BN photographers” “interview from weeks ago”. Na wa for una oh. Chai.

• Que February 10, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I’d been suspecting dis since she resurfaced recently…, I’d hope they can work it out though..

As for d blame on age difference-I tot they were together for yrs b4 jumping the imaginary broom? I doubt that age angle, maybe distance plus oda factors though…

• Wale February 10, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Oh well…

• madman February 10, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Enjoy everything while it lasts, married or single.

• Love me Love me February 10, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I must confess I have been expecting this news of a separation for almost a year now. She has been flying solo for a while now ( at least on the blogs) and things seem to be pointing in that direction.
    that being said, if you guys truly in love with each other and it is just distance that is the bridge, then go work it out. You make a nice couple.
    Now if there is abuse mentally or physically, then make sure you are taking care of number 1 (you)
    Good luck

• The real Tolu February 11, 2014 at 12:17 am

They strike me as hippies, you know how it goes with people like that; its about being happy all the bloody time, being free, smoking reefer and being one with the earth, or whatever bullshit they feel like being in tune with for the week…lmao!
    Marriage to them is an art, and if the artist feels stifled, unsatisfied, you simply wipe the slate clean and find another inspiration..ok i kid, i kid.
    I hope they both find love again. We all deserve to be happy, however, folks need to have REALISTIC expectations when they choose to commit to each other.

• Stephanie February 11, 2014 at 6:45 am

wow…didn’t they talk about location before they got married? Sad!

• baba February 11, 2014 at 9:42 am

i am going through some stuff now

• baba February 11, 2014 at 9:49 am

My marriage is just 2years plus, with a child. i started the relationship with my husband since 2000, just as ordinary friends. in 2006, he traveled and we became so close and even closer more that as we started. he was all over me, sharing feelings, tots, emotions. i felt that life was so sweet. usddenly he said he was coming home to be with me not knowing he had already impregnated someone, gotten married to her. he potrayed as if coming home was a favour for me. he impregnated me and i got to know about his marriage after he left back abroad and the woman was 8months preg while i was 3months preg. i almost got mad, almost got crazy, if not for the sake of my parents. at the end, he is living with the woman abroad , enjoying life together while i am here taking care of our child. even though he gives monthly allowance, but still never divorced him. as i am, i know there is no trust or love anymore. But what will i do, be coping since there is no violenca and all men are the same. am staying in the marriage cos of my daughter, cos of her future.

• Ohgawd February 11, 2014 at 10:41 am

Take heart…as my pple will say “Nkiruka”…what lies ahead is greater…he does not deserve you, May God heal your wounds so you can love again…

On this matter, I have no words…sad sad…just 2 years…

• SASSYCASSIE February 11, 2014 at 11:42 am

My dear you better divorce the fool and move on with your life!Don’t you know you’re blocking your and your child’s blessings by hanging on to this man and this sham of a marriage! Forget about the allowance he sends you o. There’s dignity in labour and you can work hard and earn enough to take care of your child. And please not all men are the same! This defeatist attitude will get you nowhere. You need to pick yourself up by the bootstraps and move on with your life. I know it’s hard but you just have to – for your sanity and your child’s future.

• Purpleicious Babe February 12, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I concur. GBAM

lifeinstagesdoz.blogspot.co.uk/

• Naveah February 11, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Baba, you sound very young. Are you staying in the marriage because of your daughter or are you thinking that if you divorce him, he will stop sending the allowance? The man should pay for the upkeep of his child whether you are with him or with someone else. Two years only and you are suffering emotionally like this and you think it is good for you to stay put? My friend, you are not a going to make a great anything to anyone as a daughter, sister, mother, employee IF you are not happy as an individual onto yourself. You have to be in excellent health mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually in order to wear the many hats we women are called to wear from one day to another. This man has successfully tied up your life and having his cake any which way he wants it.

My dear, shine your eyes abeg. You are raising a young lady and I don’t know what you are teaching her by living the way you do and accepting the things that you are but please reconsider your position. May God help you see your way out of the fog.

• mc hammer February 11, 2014 at 6:54 pm

@ baba, please u women should stop dis lie about staying in a marriage becos of kids. Nothin cud be further from d truth. u r stayin in dis marriage becos of urself!

• baba February 12, 2014 at 8:18 am

Thanks everyone for your comments, am staying in the marriage because of my daughter and cant imagine her asking your i never had the patience whenever she grows old. i have seen most of the children from a broken home i pray am also from a polygamous family i cant imagine my daughter going through what i went through and still goin through. He comes home often at least once in a year and spends 3 weeks, i have already placed myself as an independent woman. Am staying in the marriage cos there is no violence, we still communicate and i pretend as if everything is fine. i sat down one day an tot of most people divorcing and what majority of our women go through as a single mother. Its alarming and pathetic, the mental stress as a divorcee or single parents is not encouraging. i got to know about everything 2 years back when i was few months pregnant. it pained me so much cos i was faithful to him and never expected such from him. You know what, he came home few months after, apologised and promised to be more responsible. Am an independent woman, above 30 and already raising my head up. Its left for him to sit down and think if i am what it. Moreover, i felt what if we are living together here and he sleeps around? is that not worse? what if i never knew? What if he fights me back and denied the accusation? am not there and not seeing the woman.What if am ibo that i cant take my loads back to my parents house? I feel its better i cope cos of the sake of my child. Am focused now and free as air simply because i have forgotten and forgiven him. God blesses me more now through my projects, my child and job.

• SASSYCASSIE February 12, 2014 at 5:59 pm

The heck has being ‘ibo’ got to do with it! Why do people do this! Continue in the marriage!

• Purpleicious Babe February 12, 2014 at 9:30 pm

WOW….. well each to their own.

• Vicki February 13, 2014 at 4:42 pm

@baba, once a year is not often, get the hell out of that relationship not marriage.

• Miss Ndi February 21, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Sad sad sad! Even sadder is the fact that you are making excuses for this man. “Moreover, i felt what if we are living together here and he sleeps around? is that not worse? what if i never knew? What if he fights me back and denied the accusation? am not there and not seeing the woman.What if am ibo that i cant take my loads back to my parents house? I feel its better i cope cos of the sake of my child”

Those are excuses! Excuses for your weakness! That man does not deserve your loyalty one bit. He cheated on you, lied to you and now lives with and is probably married to the other woman! Yet you still have the time to make excuses for him. Am sorry if I sound judgemental, I don’t mean to be, but sincerely, you and your precious little girl deserve (and can sure get it) much better.

And patience to do what exactly will your daughter be asking for when she grows up? Are you being patient hoping that he will come back to you? or what exactly? this beats me!

Brace yourself up woman! get out of that (supposed) relationship! get a life, look for (real) love again. You will find a man who appreciates you and your daughter and will be willing to spend the rest of his life with you. And if you don’t want to go that route again, its fine. Just stop giving this man the opportunity to abuse you and get away with it.

• mama April 17, 2014 at 1:58 pm

You are amazing,Woman!!! Gosh!!! I can’t believe what i am reading from you….

In Fela’s words, “Suffering and Smiling”…. Baba,do other men or find/do a better man and have fun in life! Trust me, you are committing a sin waiting for him to leave that marriage and come to you!! It is not HOLLYWOOD!!! Pick ur bootstraps indeed, and marry the best God had in mind for you!!!

• SASSYCASSIE February 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm

*?* *?*

• ibukungeorge February 16, 2014 at 10:03 pm

oh wow!sad.Am just so tired of all the heartache out there.

• Dora the explorer March 27, 2014 at 11:39 pm

The couple, who are they?

• Chi March 28, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Marriage is hard work peeps. Both parties have to put in a lot of effort to make it work. The honeymoon stage lasts for a short time and then the hard work starts….marriage. I have been married for nineteen years. Have there been times I wanted to throw in the towel? Hell yes!! Did I ? Hell no. Mainly because of pleading from my husband to stay and make it work. Am I happy I did? Hell yes. Very happy I did. We still have issues once in a while… its bound to happen but we settle them, make up and move on. I’m glad I didn’t walk away years ago. We’re both happy seeing our kids as teenagers now. We still have a long journey ahead of us but nothing apart from death will seperate us. Compromise, compromise and keep on compromising. This is one of the the key factors in marriage.

• Winston Balagare June 20, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Foolish girl, marrying this old fool himself. So because he has a youthful appearance, and can make you scream his name in ecstasy, you thought you should keep him forever? Go and marry Wizkid or Aki or Paw Paw, someone your age group.

• Winston Balagare June 20, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Plain girl. Go and marry Ice Prince.

• Anonymous June 20, 2014 at 8:12 pm

So aptly put @chi..A lot of women would have stayed and made it work, just only if the man would be nice enough to plead with them to stay. The dynamics of marriage differs and it’s quite easy to talk about ‘hard work’. Hard work works, only when both parties are ready to ‘work’ it..you cannot be in the ring fighting alone, can you? Sincerely, won’t you have left, if your husband did not plead or worst still told you to go to hell? I seriously doubt!