Finally! “Half of a Yellow Sun” to Premiere in Lagos this April

Half of a Yellow Sun - March 2014 - BellaNaija

Yay! We are so excited that the adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie‘s 2nd novel “Half of a Yellow Sun” is premiering in Lagos this April.

BellaNaija Movies & TV can confirm that the movie will be released in cinemas on Friday 25th April 2014.

If you recall, the movie had its world premiere at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival in September (see photos) and later in London at the BFI London Film Festival in October (see photos).

Half of a Yellow Sun boasts an incredible ensemble including Academy Award nominee Chiwetel Ejiofor, British actress Thandie Newton, Nollywood superstar Genevieve Nnaji as well as veteran singer/actress Onyeka Onwenu, Zack Orji, OC Ukeje, and Anika Noni Rose.

It was directed by Biyi Bandele.

The film will be released in Australia on the 27th of March, in the UK on the 11th of April, and in the US this summer.

Watch the Trailer

23 Comments on Finally! “Half of a Yellow Sun” to Premiere in Lagos this April
  • tundy March 18, 2014 at 5:59 pm

i cant wait!!!

• dinma caruso March 18, 2014 at 6:27 pm

@ tundy, the feeling is mutual

• Coded1 March 18, 2014 at 6:46 pm

I saw it in the DC area on Sunday.
    Quick Review for fans of the book:
    The acting is top notch and the Nollywood actors gave a great account of themselves.
    I wasn’t a fan of how Richard and Ugwu were portrayed. Richard was suppose to be fluent in Igbo, the actor’s Igbo was HORRIBLE. And while Ugwu was a full, robust and well developed character in the book, the movie version was a caricature of the master loving houseboy seen in a bunch of movies.
    Odenigbo is a touch tribalistic but with reason (I guess), Chiwetel did him justice.
    I wasn’t a fan of Thandie Newton as Olanna (back when the news broke that she was playing that character) and like her other movies she turned Olanna into a cry baby. In her defense, a well acted cry baby.
    Anika Noni-Rose’s portrayal of Kainene was spot on. She was everything I imagined the character would be (and a cutie to boot). She won over a fan for life.
    Overall I think the movie did not do a good enough job intertwining the Biafra story with the Olanna/Odenigbo love story. At a point it was a love story with the war I the background.
    In as much as I’ve panned the movie a little, I still think people should support it and it was a lot of fun seeing all the characters that I became attached to, while reading the book, come alive.
    P.S.: excuse any grammar or spelling bombs. Typing on my phone (in traffic

• toyin olaleye March 18, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I agree with you on the portrayal of Richard..but I loved Ugwu’s character in the movie, I think his lackluster appearance gave him more humor. Anika Noni Rose was soo spot but I hated Thandie’s Newtown’s performance. Overall the movie was powerful and indeed a must watch!

• Ola March 18, 2014 at 6:51 pm

That’s Tiwa’s wedding date! We won’t be here! Hehehe

• mimi o March 18, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Wow!!!!cant wait too

• ticking time bomb March 18, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I almost forgot about this movie.

• David March 18, 2014 at 7:58 pm

And as usual Genevieve’s role was yanked out off the trailer sorry! Nice trailer!
    Just a pity it might tank at the box office though! My opinion

• Nse Iboro March 18, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Ha! finally!!!!!!!

• rotfl March 18, 2014 at 8:09 pm

yaay!

• Charis March 18, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Finally!!!

• Timi March 18, 2014 at 8:44 pm

A must watch! Amongst others, Chimamanda gives me a reason enough to say without reservation that ‘I am proud to be a Nigerian'; it’s a birthright I am not ready to sell for any other country on this earth..!

• Uzo March 18, 2014 at 9:04 pm

chimamanda is my role model!!! Strong, bold, beautiful, intelligent and a real Africàn lady who is proud of her Igbo heritage. so glad her book has being made into a movie. can’t wait to see it!!!!!!!!

• Omowunmi Olasupo March 18, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Cnt wait

• Juju March 18, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Did they make a movie poster specifically for Nigeria? Suddenly Onyeka/Genevieve/Oc are this movie’s selling point? Chiwetel/Thandie/Anika are minimized? This eye service. Dear HOAYS, we would have watched your movie regardless, but thank you for this token gesture.

• Nike March 19, 2014 at 10:53 am

This is the Nigerian poster or poster for Nigerian cinemas

• Berry Dakara March 19, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Yes they did. It’s common practice to have different film posters/trailers to sell to different markets. If there was an Asian in the film, he/she would have been on the poster targeted to the Asian audiences.

• Mz Socially Awkward… March 19, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Like what happened when they were advertising “12 years a slave” in Italy, almost singularly selling Brad Pitt in every poster as if he had the leading role. Those Italians got a massive shock when they watched and discovered he only had something like 4mins in total of screen time…

• bevshine events March 19, 2014 at 12:04 am

Can’t wait….whoop whoop

• www.LapesBeautifulCreature.blogspot.com March 19, 2014 at 6:56 am

yay! finally

• Cleo March 19, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Ok now I’ve got to go back and read the book before going to watch the movie…hehehe maybe this would be the first Naija movie ( per say) I would watch in the cinema

• ella April 7, 2014 at 10:24 pm

@Codedi plssssss……keep ur opinion to urself for now…..am sure every other person would luv to individually form their own opinion on how each character faired in d movie ……before u wipe our grin before we even go watch d movie……Looking forward to d premier.