President Obama cried today during Gun Control Announcement

Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

With tears running down his cheeks, U.S. President Barack Obama talked about the victims of the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and about his efforts to increase federal gun control in the East Room of the White House January 5, 2016 in Washington, DC. Without approval from Congress, Obama is sidestepping the legislative process with executive actions to expand background checks for some firearm purchases and step up federal enforcement of existing gun laws.
President Obama Speaks In The East Room Of White House On Efforts To Reduce Gun ViolencePresident Obama Speaks In The East Room Of White House On Efforts To Reduce Gun Violence

Photo Credit:Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

29 Comments on President Obama cried today during Gun Control Announcement
  • Jeanne January 5, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Such a MAN!!!!

• Abbie January 5, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Oga, not by power not by might, but by the Spirit, turn back and take America to God and see how things goes. You won’t even have to fight it, the control will come.

• Gia January 6, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Abbie isn’t that what nigerians have been doing since forever?
      Why cant the average nigerian think without involving god??

• mouth mouth January 6, 2016 at 8:06 pm

God bless you

• Pretty_O January 5, 2016 at 11:11 pm

I can’t wait for him to leave office. He needs to rest biko. He has tried a lot for this beautiful country. Once he leaves, Americans will realize how much of an impact he had, they are just stressing a black man for no reason. Obam is a Great President!!!

• nene+ January 6, 2016 at 8:33 am

Obama tears where not theatrics nor staged! If only you know how genuine he always is. Obama go ahead and God will help you control this guns found in the hands of haters, racist, terrorist, maniacs etc. Who does not know what it is to be a youth in America and a” black youth risks? I wish you the best as you push to control these weapon! Obama policies has favoured the man on the street and the helpless, if there was a third chance Obama would win the contestants put together and more. A great president you have been!

• j’suis belle January 5, 2016 at 11:37 pm

tired of all dis BS !!!

• ITOFA January 5, 2016 at 11:39 pm

How will this reduce the cost of living in Nigeria 😛

• Ebere January 5, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Hats off to my “Numero Uno” President. Guns should be taken off the street……..

• Honeycrown January 5, 2016 at 11:45 pm

All I can think of concerning Obama is that, It’s hard to be the President of USA. It’s Harder to be a black president in USA. Make this man 2nd term quick end Abeg so he can rest small. I don’t understand how he always remains calm amidst all the BS they keep giving him. God give me that kinda patience sha.

• Ashley January 5, 2016 at 11:56 pm

The Oscar goes to?

• ATL’s finest January 6, 2016 at 1:58 am

President Barack Hussein Obama ???. @ Ashley we can’t blame him for crying. Haba this gun mess is so out of hand & Control. Folks are dropping like flies. On the other hand, U can’t blame folks for having a gun. ( they got to protect themselves from crazy burglars). Well he’s got just ten months to be done & I bet he can’t wait to head back to Chi town & kiss the White crop good bye 🙂

• ElessarisElendil January 6, 2016 at 3:19 am

Folks are dropping like flies. Still less than drunk drivers, I look forward to them banning alcohol again. This will just make more gangsters rich by making illegal sales profitable.

• honey omo lekki January 6, 2016 at 2:32 pm

I know he feels genuinely about gun control, but i just have a feeling there is a little nit of acting going on with the tears.
      Just me.

• Passerby January 6, 2016 at 12:25 am

Ashley that’s so insensitive and unnecessary. This is a serious matter and it’s a shame that you’re too cynical to see genuine concern, you just had to run down an attempt to appeal to people’s conscience. What a shame.
    As a father I can imagine how he feels about the situation. When such a powerful man is moved to tears like that….may God fix things. Amen

• Maitamaprincess January 6, 2016 at 12:49 am

Ohhh shut it Ashley! So you think he’s out throwing a party whenever there’s a shooting. You dim wit!

• ElessarisElendil January 6, 2016 at 3:19 am

Well actually just 5 days ago he was partying in the new year. Its all politics.

• Meah January 6, 2016 at 9:28 am

He should have started crying 5 days ago?
        The lord is your strength

• Ashley January 6, 2016 at 3:19 pm

troll @maitamaprincess. GTFOH sheeple

• ama January 6, 2016 at 3:03 am

Was abt time

• Anne January 6, 2016 at 4:00 am

@Ashley, sincerely it is not theatrics. Obama is probably the most compassionate man I have ever seen. His tears came from the heart, His policies show his concern for those less privileged.

• IDONTCARE January 6, 2016 at 10:09 am

Obama’s tears were genuine. Not the “there is God o” type.

• Reekaddict till infinity January 6, 2016 at 10:26 am

Its four years already since the tragic attack happened….President Obama is a true father he can’t even imagine the incident in his head bcos he knows how painful the deep sore in the heart of these parent is taking time to heal that’s if it will ever heal. Lord pls protect my loved once from danger

• ‘Deola January 6, 2016 at 2:24 pm

There is something exceptional about America that defies logic or reason. It is that exceptionalism that made Obama president. It is that same thing that could make Trump become one too. I guess this highlights the inherent complexity of the nation and its DNA.

At this point, Obama’s idealism has come to terms with realism. It will take Americans, on their own, to change the system, not executive powers. There and then, they will realise who has control or has captured the democratic process. It makes for good optics to be emotional nevertheless.

• The real D January 6, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Sometimes people just never seem to cease when it comes to amazing one. Have we lost our sense of empathy, sympathy and humanity??? Do we think there are really people who do not care about the lives of others because we ourselves don’t anymore? Have we become so cynical that we now view another’s action such as the POTUS tears with suspicion and downright cynicism? I know many of us Nigerians can’t think beyond ourselves so maybe caring about others may seem out of character but guess what there are many out there that do.

I lost my own sister a little over year ago, but I don’t sit around mopping every day but that does not make my tears or my sorry less sincere the days I shed them.

I have said it time and time again we really need to look inwards as humans and find that thing in us that makes us humans again. Maybe then we will not only worry about the future of our kids but we will stop viewing those that have not lost theirs with suspicion or cynicism.
    Trust me anyone whose life has been affected by gun violence would understand. I have not but my sense of empathy thankfully is intact and I can put myself in their shoes so I don’t have to wait to lose someone to the bullet before I am able to share in others pain and understand where Pres. Obama is coming from.

• Naveah January 6, 2016 at 5:17 pm

How far with Nigeria that has a church on every corner of the street, eh? How far with Nigeria where people live inside church from Monday through Sunday? Even with all their catching holy ghost fire and prophesies, does Nigeria still not have DEEPLY ROOTED issues of poverty, mismanagement of government, bribery, corruption, police violence and brutality, girls selling themselves for Prada bags and men selling their souls at shrines for private jets?

If na all that wan, Nigeria should be a utopia. America which in your eyes don’t know God is doing more for its citizens than Nigeria has done for its own since 1960. So please, keep the judgmental declaration to yourself, face your front and your countrymen who are ruining your country one day and at time.

• Honeycrown January 6, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Thank you The real D and sorry about your loss and Naveah, thank you!!!

• B.S January 9, 2016 at 3:47 am

Obama is what is known as a perfected narcissist. He’s very good at manipulation. An excellent actor who can turn on the charm as well as he can play victim and make everything about himself. His image is as manufactured as the man himself, and his handlers including the White House photographer, have done a great job of marketing him and shaping his image with the many carefully framed and staged photographs and videos that are released to the general public to impress and manipulate.

The aggressive marketing has been effective and has indeed paid off. That’s why we have people who only know the man through those carefully released images, declaring their love for him and vouching for him, his tears and all else – even though they’ve never met him and don’t know him from Adam. The power of effective propaganda.

The man is a politician. A very savvy politician. As his days as president wind down, he has to start thinking about making money and staying relevant – he loves and craves the fawning attention, adulation, and his ego couldn’t handle the deprivation of any it. He also wants a lasting legacy as one of the “greats” – see also all about the ego. But more than anything else, he wants a sustained and primed audience for his memoirs and the speechmaking circuit that will make him a very rich man post-presidency.

The man is really all about himself, but has been successful because he’s good at making it seem like it’s about others or some other cause for humanity. The I, I, I, me, me, me, in his speeches or the fact that everything and person including his wife and daughters, exist only as props and pawns to boost him and him alone. Think about it, this guy runs around preaching equality for and investing and valuing women in society, yet has never invested in his own wife who’s 3 years younger than him, graduated Princeton and Harvard before him and was making her own way successfully. He basically shrunk her, and there’s nothing in their story that shows where he ever invested in her at any point. it’s always been her sacrificing and investing in him. But he’s such an evolved and caring guy who believes in investing in women, right? He talks a good game, but his actions never really add up. But as long as people swoon and he tugs at hearts with his words and tears, that’s all that matters. The guy is a conman, a scam artist who’s succeeded in scamming a whole lot of people particularly the fawning women who trip all over themselves trying to defend and vouch for him.