lot of money in a suitcase isolated on white

Punch reports that the scarcity of foreign exchange is deeply affecting parents and children abroad.

This February, the CBN and DMBs (Deposit Money Banks) decided to suspend official foreign exchange for school fees and medical bills, which made up 15% of demand – click here if you missed it.

Here are some accounts from parents via Punch – they are in default at their children’s schools, they can’t get enough dollars at the black market and they owe their friends abroad –

From a parent who wishes to stay anonymous: “Our children abroad are crying and we parents are also crying,” she said. “They are confused and we are also confused because we can’t send money to them and they can’t receive. They are in misery, hunger and depression. “They can’t even feed well because they can’t get money for their upkeep.” She, therefore, called on the government to “create an escape route so that children will not continue to suffer.”

Solomon said he was indebted to some of his friends in the United States, where his daughter was schooling. Solomon said his friends had had to bail him out of the financial problem because he felt it was unwise to exchange Naira for dollars at the present exchange rate. He said, “What I am doing right now is to beg my friends who are in the US to help me pay for my daughter’s tuition. It does not make any sense to change naira for dollars and send to her. There is even no dollar to buy.”

Also, Mr. Jimoh Abdulganiyu, whose son is studying medicine in Ukraine, said he could not get dollars, even at the black market, to send to him. Abdulganiyu said his son was given a warning letter by the school authorities over delay in payment of accommodation fees and he risks being asked to vacate the dormitory soon. He expressed fears of the possibility of buying fake dollars because of the pressure of getting dollars, which has been pushing parents to the parallel market.

He said, “Sometimes, I would get to the bank by 6.40am, before the official opening hour, to stand a good chance of getting dollars through the Western Union or Money Gram. “And this does not mean that I would automatically get the dollars, I still have to lobby before I could get it. Even at that, there is a limit to the amount I can get.”

Read more of the parents accounts on Punch here!

122 Comments on “Our children abroad are crying and we parents are also crying” Scarce Forex for School Fees Hits Hard
  • cara February 21, 2016 at 6:31 pm

See the benefits of dual citizenship. Once I’m done with nysc in outta here. Suffer suffer country.

• nnenne February 22, 2016 at 12:13 am

As long as Nigerians have the option of leaving to other countries when things are not going well. Nigeria will never improve.
      Necessity is the mother of investment!

• nnenne February 22, 2016 at 12:16 am

As long as Nigerians have the option of leaving to other countries when things are not going well, Nigeria will never improve.
        Necessity is the mother of invention!

• Tosin February 22, 2016 at 6:45 am

also of investment.
        nice invention, N.

• Wale February 22, 2016 at 12:36 am

I hear there are some good up and coming private universities in Nigeria-maybe it is time to start considering schooling in your home country, be patriotic and help conserve our forex. By so doing, we create jobs and revive the economy gradually. We need to start from some wher. #buyNaija!

• Aku February 22, 2016 at 9:43 pm

see yeah, this is my daily mantra every day!! I kid you not. NYSC and i’m out. I cannot kill myself for an unserious nation with equally unserious leaders.

• bruno February 21, 2016 at 6:33 pm

u are in america and ur parents are still sending u money from nigeria. u must be a very lazy twat.

bellanaija pls this is rich people’s problems. we shouldn’t concern our selves with this kind of news.
    ” They are in misery, hunger and

maybe ur lazy child should go and get themselves a 9 to 5. lol
    u are in misery and hunger, u are not eating well in america. are u kidding me.

• Author Unknown February 21, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Illiterate Bruno. Before you conclude that anyone is lazy, I hope you realise that international students can’t legally work enough hours to pay their way through school, and working beyond their restriction is a violation of the terms of their visa. I feel sorry for the innocent Nigerians caught up in this mess, but things can’t get better without some inconveniences.

• ATL’s finest February 21, 2016 at 8:25 pm

@ Author Unknown God bless U for that. If they can work Bruno, they wouldn’t be depending on their FAM. @ LMN lol I love your name. One of my fact. Stations 🙂 as for this article, let me reserve my nickle opinion before everyone jump down my throw. But then again, I pray everything resolves very fast & easier for parents and their kids up here.

• Author Unknown February 21, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Amen Sis! Happy Sunday to you.

• The real D February 21, 2016 at 10:31 pm

I know life is difficult for international students o but I schooled in the U.S and for my first 2 years I was an international student, my 2 siblings did undergrad and grad schools both as international students and our parents never paid for our upkeep. After scholarship the little that remain for undergrad my parents paid but only for tuition. We lived off campus after our first year, rent, food and miscellaneous we paid, with our minimum wage / 20 hrs/ wknd on campus jobs. In fact if I tell my story, you go no say suffer head dye, from cleaning dorm rooms, to working at the cafeteria, nothing we were proud to do o. Grad school all na scholarship or self paid for all. Yet, I know of family friends that parents sent all tuition, rent, money for food and still sent additional monthly allowance. Kids that never worked a day all through college. Did I consider it wrong at the time??, nope, in fact I was jealous but fast forward to entering labor market, they struggled to get jobs o because no prior experience both my siblings started out in companies they had interned with. Many still struggle with the idea of saving and spending as an adult. Imagine a pharmacist that did not have a dime in student loans or any loan for that matter, making 6 figures but yet after graduation and working for 3-4years has not saved a dime for a down payment and has little or no savings. Mummy and daddy still make every single decision for her down to where she lives.
        Yes being an international student sucks mega something but some of us have spoiled our kids beyond rotten. It is time for kids to start hustling, Naira no get value no more time to be keeping our kids in bubble wrap. Even if I have money like Dangote or Bill gates, my children will get tuition after exhausting all their options for scholarships, but room and board after first year, you shall be OYO. It made my siblings and I grow up fast and become independent real fast,would our parents have come to our aid should we need it??? O yea but we did not want them to and today we are happy they did not. So yes I get Bruno’s point.

• lmn February 21, 2016 at 6:48 pm

bruno just shut up!!! you’re just a restless and mindless soul.

• Nene February 21, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Because you’re ignorant not to know that a study permit is not equivalent to a work permit in some countries. And even if you do get a job, you can’t work more than a certain number of hours a week.

• JEGAism February 21, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Totally agree with you!

• Lagos is my home February 21, 2016 at 7:04 pm

BRUNO you just type like a dunce most times…
      DO you know how much tuition and boarding in most schools in this US? , and international students can only work on campus for max 20hours so how wont they expect money from Nigeria.

I wonder why i bother even replying such ignorance

• Miss N February 21, 2016 at 7:11 pm

you are very ignorant and misinformed for this comment. let me break it down for you. An international student is not allowed to work in a foreign country as they cannot file taxes. (at last to my knowledge in the US) and for those of us who have permanent residency or those who are Nigerian citizen and have parents who are involved in their education, our parents have to help out. I am a full time nursing student here. I go to school 5day a week, out of those 5 days I have to do 12hrs clinicals in a hospital 2xce a week, I have exams ever other week and I still have to study, so my brother when and how can I work? my father pays my tuition so i don’t have to take numerous student loans, I have friends with loans running up to $40,000-$50,0000. I also go to school during the summer, last summer when i decided not to take any classes, I got a minimum wage job and all i earned that summer was not up to $2000. My tuition for a semester is a minimum of $6000. that does not include leaving expenses (i stay at home) my friends who live on campus pay up to $3000 for campus housing/accommodation, food, transport, textbook,health insurance, miscellaneous etc. So brother bruno, I am not lazy or a brat, things just don’t work the way you think they do!

• The real D February 21, 2016 at 10:43 pm

@ Miss N,wrong you are allowed to work but only on campus. 20hrs/week and with the naira to $$$ proving economic hardship should be easier to apply for work permit. Abeg we don do am. With work permit you can also work off campus.
        What is wrong with 19, 20,21 year olds working full time? If they have papers they better work, I worked 3-11pm. 40hrs a week which is considered full time and a part time job on campus for my undergrad and still graduated with honors after I got my permanent residency. Trust me our children will fly if we has parents will only push them out the nest. Very soon Buhari will not give us a choice anyway.

• lily February 21, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Miss N…u cud av filled u tax assuming u working, anyway if u have a social seecurity number…u can still do it. mind contacting me

• Weezy February 21, 2016 at 7:12 pm

The ‘misery and hunger’ comment is nonsense of course, but don’t underestimate the cost of schooling in the US.

No 18 year old foreign student can raise even just $12000 a year by themselves to cover only acvomodation, food and books. Foreign students are not allowed to work off campus, and are stuck with oncampus jobs like toilet cleaning and dishwashing or if you’re lucky, office admin. Those may pay $8-10 an hour. Take out taxes of maybe $2. You are left with $6. As a full-time student, maybe you push yourself to work 20 hours a week while earning Bs in your course (schools advise you not to work more than 10-15 and many schools will not allow you to work more than that. They are the ones assigning you hours). So you make $120 a week after taxes. Assuming you work every week all year (unlikely) that gives you $6240.

And we’re not talking about tuition. In this scenario, you won a four year full tuition scholarship, which puts you in the 1% of top scholars. You still won’t be able to support yourself without loans or family paying your board. Or without getting an illegal job off campus that will still not pay you good enough because you have no real skills as an 18 year old.

• Theeba February 21, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Bruno! This is very low of you! What the hell?!!! A 17, 18, 19 and 20 year old, studying for a degree should work 9 to 5? Pray tell, how? First of all,even if they are working, they are only permitted part-time. While you can feed yourself and maybe pay half your rent with a minimum wage part-time job, that’s as far as it goes. They can never ever pay international tuition working part-time or even full time sef. Never! Now this people have some money, they just want CBN to grant them forex so they can send to their kids, what is wrong in that? What is wrong with a parent wanting better future for their children? No it’s not rich peoples’ problem because some not so well to do individuals on scholarship abroad need to live to and they survive on what their folks send here and there.

It’s not fair how you guys just assume things about kids schooling abroad. Very unfair. They are not living in luxury. They just want to study and better their lives and that of their family members. Yes! They are crying because they want Nigerian government to step up. Trust me if they were so rich, they won’t be wailing. Nobody should give me that talk about coming back to Nig to school. Maybe if you told somebody that in 1998, it would be valid, even 2003 would have still made sense. But now? Mba! Please be sympathetic. In life you won’t always be comfortable and you would need people to be sympathetic to your plight. I know how they feel because once upon a time, I was one of them. Life was tough but with God I and many others like myself made it. I’m back in Nigeria and my immediate boss graduated from OAU and my regional head from UNIBEN. They are not far from my age. They are excellent at their jobs too! What I’m trying to say is that if I was so rich, I wouldn’t need to work for anybody or better still my father would have helped me snag one contract or the other and I would be their bosses since I schooled “abroad”, lol. I wouldn’t trade it for the world though but I’m not richer or poorer than most Nigerians. Please be sympathetic.

• Marie Antoinette February 21, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Bruno I try as much as possible to ignore you here because 99% of your comments are insensitive and stupid. Before you continue exhibiting your ignorance, answer these…
      Have you lived abroad?
      Do you think everybody schooling abroad has wealthy parents?
      Do you know how difficult it is to find a part time job that can fully support you?
      Do you know how much a basic student accommodation cost?

I’m in Paris doing an MBA and you can’t begin to imagine how hard it’s been since January with all the madness going on in the financial sector. I know two people that had to defer their program and returned to Nigeria last week.

What keeps me going is an attitude of “Ce qui ne nous tue pas nous rend plus fort”.

• green eyes February 22, 2016 at 6:41 am

@ mee
        That is correct subsidy
        When the official price of USD is 199.50 but the actual price is 400
        the difference is subsidy
        This is because the Govt is using our reserves to defend that position
        so instead of paying the actual price u pay less

• green eyes February 21, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Thank you Bruno.
      They are not lazy they are thieves
      reaping where they will never sow

Why should the government subsidize the school fees for your children when they will not even come back to benefit the country
      For benefit of doubt the difference between black market (true cost of dollar) and official market is subsidy.
      how does your going to school abroad benefit the economy when we will not benefit from your post graduation work life?
      If you cant sponsor your child with black market let them comeback home
      May be if it had been like this we all would have been shouting and demanding change in our school and hospitals but when u guys think you have an escape route and it doesn’t concern u, u just move on. now jungle don mature
      Now the rich also cry

Meanwhile CBN has not stopped sale of fx for school fees and medical (bellanaija please be up to date) It was a suggestion from Bankers committee but CBN has not yet accepted the request)

i am sending my child to school abroad in September because I earn dollars from my online business abroad…

• Kemmie February 21, 2016 at 9:04 pm

@Green eye, please what kind of on-line business are you doing. I am trying to come up with ideas of business i can do on-line. Please biko help your sister

• Mee February 22, 2016 at 1:09 am

That’s a rather ignorant comment @green eyes. How is the governing subsidizing their tuition abroad or are you confused with the meaning of that sentence you made? Sigh.

• green eyes February 22, 2016 at 6:35 am

@ Kemmie
        When I said online I meant – I monitor my business remotely.
        As an undergraduate in US, I signed on to MaryKay and my dear it has paid over the years.
        Unfortunately they are not ready to come to Africa.

That been said, I don’t in any way condemn schooling abroad, my first child is going in September. I am only saying don’t crucify the government because of the FX rate. If you can afford it at any rate go for it.

This is beyond Buhari we dont have enough FX that can meet demand.
        So when demand is greater than supply, price goes up
        our main source of FX was crude oil sales, which unfortunately we didn’t use wisely
        and based on the order of preference the bank MDs are suggesting sell FX to the real sectors of the economy. Well CBN hasnt accepted the proposal.
        (real sector is what will lead to increase in GDP)
        May be they will limit it to University education and put a maximum limit

Just to throw another jab, do you know that over 50% of those that apply for medicals are applying to go and give birth abroad?
        So why wont the Bank MDs shout
        Hence, my request that we should use this opportunity to demand changes in our institutions and not just demand for FX which is a temporal solution.

• santi February 22, 2016 at 8:16 am

This is for ;green eyes’. Please what online business are you doing? Help a sister out. Thanks

• TeeS February 21, 2016 at 7:34 pm

You’re very ignorant bruhhh!
      You obviously think outta your ass
      If you don’t know what it is like to school abroad whether as an international student or a Lawal resident just don’t say anything
      I’m not an international student but I have school loans at about 25k
      My tuition a semester is usually at about 5k
      My apartment is 550 a month
      My insurance for my car is 65
      My phone bill is 80( thanks att)
      Oh and let’s add gas in my car a v6 about (20/30)/month
      Groceries (150) a month
      I’ve learnt to borrow text books from the library at my school something called inter library loans between schools in the US
      Oh and sometimes you’ve to buy codes for classes and they could be quite pricey
      And yeah I got two jobs; one pays $10/hr , the other pays $8/hr. The $8/hr is 40 hours a week. The $10: hr is 15 (on campus job)
      My parents can’t afford to pay tuition so it’s all on me
      So please tell me how I’m a lazy twat?

• ATL’s finest February 21, 2016 at 8:37 pm

@ TeeS who no go, no know! Just relax & don’t pay that hot mess called Bruno any mind. Folks like him are back home not doing shit but constantly asking am friends, Uncles & Aunties for some $$$$. Keep doing what U are doing girl before u know it, U will be done & U know the job await U 🙂 & that school loan of 25k will be paid off before au blink. I can relate trust me..Don’t even worry about school loans #E-hugs#.

• TeeS February 21, 2016 at 10:17 pm

@ATLs finest
        Girl! Thanks you, some Nigerians don’t understand the struggle at all!
        Are you really in ATL?
        My behind is in Texas!!! Where college is even cheaper compared to most schools! God dey sha

• ATL’s finest February 21, 2016 at 11:51 pm

@ TeeS yes girl, I schooled in ATL & I later transferred to a cheaper country(village) a smaller city in South Carolina ???cost of living is cheaper while my sis was in Tennessee & my bro was in Rome GA. But we are all Done THANK U LORD so we are everywhere now. Doing post-grad online. But hang in there sweetie. I know Houston, Dallas Texas ain’t that cheap but depends on where U live in TX. God bless your hustle darlyn for the price is BIGGER/BETTER when U are done. So ATL is my home book ( Sin city of the SOUTH).

• Bee February 22, 2016 at 3:41 am

Girl, you need to stop dashing ATT $80 a month, biko. I’m sure they are not even giving you unlimited data sef. Shop around for cheaper options, them plenty. I’m paying $27 a month for my phone line,plus data o. I was with ATT before too, averaging $60, but I kept going back to them for cheaper prices. Until I found this cheap one, and nothing do am, it’s a relatively unknown network, but they use ATT’s network, so why pay more for the same services. I use H2O, they have nationwide coverage. You can check out other options sha, like that Walmart’s StraightTalk thingy.

• green eyes February 22, 2016 at 7:10 am

@ mee
        That is correct subsidy
        When the official price of USD is 199.50 but the actual price is 400
        the difference is subsidy
        This is because the Govt is using our reserves to defend that position
        so instead of paying the actual price u pay less

You may take one of those free online courses in Economics to know more about subsidy

• Manny February 24, 2016 at 1:19 am

Why the hell is your phone bill $80 for one person? What happened to getting a plan with Metropcs, simple mobile etc. Even tmobile is cheaper. My friend stop complaining and port.

• green eyes February 21, 2016 at 7:39 pm

How can 15% of FX sales go to non-income generating transactions
      School fees!
      when manufacturers cant get FX for raw materials and machinery
      when foreign investors cant get FX to repatriate their money back
      This is so crazy
      And to think of the fact that the school fees we are talking about includes
      primary, secondary schools not just universities.
      a Nigerian buying over GBP31,000 to pay for school fees of a child in high school in Scotland because that was the school Tony Blair went to!
      Too much
      Why should the whole of Nigeria suffer because u want to breed an English speaking spree spree child?
      That is the new craze now
      During school pick up, U ask a parent how is XYZ we have not seen him?
      oh he is now in school in England so i have to travel every two weeks to see him!!!

XYZ being a 9 year old boy. Kilode?
      COunt your cost!
      Let us all rise to save our hospitals and schools – especially the rich who have voices
      U can be heard. Raise it loud that our schools and hospitals should be of high standard dont raise it because of FX

• Cindy February 21, 2016 at 9:08 pm

They are already there now so what exactly do you want us to do?

• hezekina pollutina February 21, 2016 at 9:36 pm

green eyes your making sense.

• Mee February 22, 2016 at 1:13 am

Sigh, here you go again.
        What of the renaming 85%? Why aren’t you concerned about where that is going.
        If everyone abroad was to return to naij for university, have you thought about the huge gap between the supply and demand. There aren’t enough schools for those in naij, not to talk of those abroad. So people should sit at home because there aren’t enough universities in naij? Let’s not even talk about the quality of the education…

• Miss N February 22, 2016 at 6:28 am

Now that is just absurd and outrageous. But too generalize is just wrong.

• green eyes February 22, 2016 at 7:06 am

@ mee
        Where the remaining 85% goes?
        It goes into

Credit Card settlement by Nigeria Banks – when u shop online with your naira card or NGN paypal account , the FX still needs to be settled
        Importation of finished goods (sausages, butter, milk, corned beef, toys, cars, human hair, cosmetics, Cotonou gari, Benin Republic Pineapple, vaccines, drugs etc)
        PTA – when you buy Personal or Business Travel Allowance
        Training and Technical Fees
        Royalties – all those multinationals! their subsidiaries pay them huge sums
        Server Maintenance Fees-
        Global Capital Investors – selling their stock and govt. bonds and pulling out of Nigeria capital market;
        It goes into a market leader in the cement industry buying FX to set up a plant in Congo when Nigerians are looking for FX for legitimate transactions
        and the list goes on and on

Buhari has now mandated banks to publish who they sell CBN FX to and my dear it is revealing (CBN sells FX at 197.50) so if a company buys from CBN he pays N2 less than what obtains from Interbank market.
        Please check the papers and what will you see

50% of Nigeria’s FX allocations are going to less than 50 companies going by the figures published by the banks on Foreign exchange allocations.

Though the Federal Government has banned FX sales for the purpose of investing abroad, can you believe what Dangote alone got to go and invest in Congo?
        Check ThisDay Newspaper of Tuesday, February 16, 2016 (page 11)

So the reason for my long lengthy response is because I want us as Nigerians to shout
        and I have realized that we dont say or do anything once it is well with us and our immediate family.
        Hence my reason for saying we should just this opportunity to raise our voices loud.

• Bey February 21, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Bruno you are stupidity at it’s most highest peak.
      If your patents are or we’re not rich enuf or did not have d ability for you to school abroad, that’s ur biz.
      What is dis ur issue with, rich ppl dis, rich ppl dat.
      Change ur mind set, if not poverty may just continue down ur line.

• ATL’s finest February 21, 2016 at 8:43 pm

@ Bruno who’s pipe are U smoking off from this afternoon? Pls explain again what do U do for a living? Oh that’s if U’ ve got a job. Pls shut ur A**hole if U ain’t got stg important to say. FYI, folks don’t run outta food. This isn’t Nigeria and mind U, a lot of churches give out free GREAT food including some RCCG churches here. U just have to go once a week & know the time. When folks say they r hungry, they don’t have he time to cook esp when u live alone, U have school & work.

• ElessarisElendil February 22, 2016 at 4:46 am

I’m curious about this, do Nigerian RCCG churches give out free food? Just curious.

• ATL’s finest February 22, 2016 at 9:18 am

Yes, RCCG ( my branch) in ATL gives out free food as in extremely great food. Including boxes of pepper, tomatoes just to name a few, I thot folks were bluffing cuz I never went until one Sunday I was shocked what I saw with my eyes 🙂 some American churches does it too. But I don’t know if it’s all RCCG that participate in this act tho.

• Dolly February 21, 2016 at 9:07 pm

You is high on crack Bruno and your ignorance stinks, are you really this dumb or you just get a rise off acting it. I aint wasting time educating your sorry ass but you can learn a new term “America is no paradise citizen or not”

• Ogo February 21, 2016 at 9:22 pm

How many hours are international students allowed to work abroad? Can it cover their fees? Check your envy

• Marc Francis of Chelsea February 23, 2016 at 11:52 am

I realise you probably went to one of those schools that lost its accreditation in Nigeria so you’re talking out of your ears. How will a student have a 9-5? What kind of job would a student that has not graduated from first degree get that would pay his/her tuition & accomodation? If I send my child overseas to go to school and leave him/her to fend for himself, what is the point of sending them to school in the first place?

Stay ignorant Bruno.

• Ekene February 21, 2016 at 6:56 pm

They should better transfer to schools here in Nigeria.

• Naiz Wan February 21, 2016 at 8:40 pm

The one you or your village people built with basic amenities?

• Ekene February 22, 2016 at 2:47 am

What do you mean ? I attended a Federal university, and we have an exchange student (oyibo) from US who gave a glowing commendations on our educational system. Stop decieving yourselves, we have more of qualitative universities than the bad ones. I got a great job without any MSc, my friend with a UK MSc is still job hunting.

It’s just the new craze for foreign degrees that is disturbing you guys. Which the negative effect is the amount of funds we dump out, causing the present economic crisis. SAY NO TO IMPORTATION OF EDUCATION. Sit your behinds back.

• Bey February 21, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Mr man, if you can’t afford it, don’t knock other people who can and want to give dere kids d best.
      And who told you good schools in naija are cheap.
      I was in church today when they started telling us we shld try and assist some students in our church is it university or is it sec school I’m even confused, becos I zoned out once I heard d price.
      They said we shld give scholarship, d tuition is 550k for one semester. There is still money for dere board and feeding 600 a day.
      Me dat my baby is just learning ABC I shld put smone on scholarship at my young age.
      Some universities here, they pay 2.5m up to 3.5 so go figure.

• ElessarisElendil February 22, 2016 at 4:49 am

Abroad the cheap ones cost at least N1m, so its still cheaper here.

• ATL’s finest February 21, 2016 at 9:45 pm

@ Ekene if the system was so dammm great, why didn’t PMB’s daughter attend a University there? See your typing hands like they better transfer mtcheww. When the so-called Nigerians respect foreign degress more than anything. Folks will school there & get paid nothing or can’t get a job. U will see a foreign degree earned in some community college and University will get paid just like that & get a Job ASAP. My friend like bey said if u can’t afford it, don’t knock others down.

• Surely February 21, 2016 at 11:22 pm

You are a brainless twat. We abroad have parents who have made sacrifices to give us the best that they can afford (after all Ukraine and Cyprus aren’t great but they are better than your Unilag and Nsukka or UniMaid so some parents take the chance anyway). Sorry that your parents could not strive enough or sacrifice their basic comfort to invest in your life.

Do you know how many anniversaries my parents had to stay home and eat rice and pray to celebrate??? When my dad turned 60, when my brother got married, it was no more than 100 guests. We made enemies because my parents set their eyes on my younger ones finishing their college in America!!! Do you know how many scholarships and grants my siblings and I had to apply for all these years to keep ourselves afloat? Do you know how old my parents cars and cell phones were before I recently bought them new Blackberries so that we could chat as a family? Now my brother has moved back and he recently paid for the house to get painted and the bathrooms renovated. Next year we plan to change my parents’ cars.

Yet you guys in Nigeria live above your means, hire party planners for everything, have the latest phones, drive jeeps and you want to vilify those of us that school(ed) abroad!!!! May God forgive you for your bitterness and jealousy! Devils!
      Not everyone abroad is rich but they have parents who suffer so their children can be comfortable and we will re-invest into our parents lives. Thank God for parents like mine who showed me that love is sacrificial and I will show them that I learned from them well.

• Ekene February 22, 2016 at 9:12 am

No wonder. You go there to learn how to insult. What my argument is about is that, if you can’t afford it stop crying to government to change it’s policy. If you can good and fine.

• Krasavitsa February 22, 2016 at 9:34 am

Thank you! Your comment made me tear up as I remembered how my parents suffered to send me to school in Ukraine. If they hadn’t made that sacrifice, God knows there’s no way I’d be a Medical Doctor today.

• Anonymous February 21, 2016 at 6:59 pm

You have no right to actually call anyone a lazy twat especially if you haven’t schooled abroad. In case you don’t know, school takes up alot of time and all the money you make may not even be enough for tuition or upkeep. Please keep your opinions to yourself.

• ATL’s finest February 21, 2016 at 8:34 pm

God bless U for this!!! Some folks think this is a system where u can bribe your instructors. Not everyone will understand how time consuming it can be. And for all those saying let them transfer. Mtchew their parents wasn’t stupid to send them away in the first place. Where’s the job after all the yrs spent in University & NYSC? Even they PMB’s kids studied abroad. Why didn’t Zahria study in Nigeria to study if it was so great? A Governor’s daughter ( name withheld) attended my Uni & her brother was in NYC. I remember back then, their elder sis came down & had her baby here too.
      Yes, this $$$$$ ishy is working in our favor ( those of us based here). But then again, I have friends & cousins suffering from this mess too. Thanks to God they will be done this year.

• Manny February 21, 2016 at 7:13 pm

The sacrifices parents make for their children, Imagine how early Mr. Abdulganiyu has to wake up in order to get to the bank at 6:40am. Good father

• Tee February 21, 2016 at 7:21 pm

So we all Bruno thinks out of his ass
    I’m not an international student but my Titian per semester without housing or books and all that stuff is about 5-6k per semester even with financial aid. Imagine taking 12-15 hours of engineering classes and working 20-40 hours a week and making good grades. Y’all don’t know the struggle. You gotta work your butt off here, it’s no Nigeria Bruno . So before you open your mouth and talk nonsense please do your research.

• I loveGEJ February 21, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Buhari forgot that not all Nigerians caused the misery he is allegedly fighting. Not all the people stole money. Can he look beyond anti-graft crusade and face other problems facing this country. So frustrating I cant even imagine buying black market for my wife and kids upkeep in the UK this month end. At 505 rate, how much can i possibly send?? I am not responsible for Naija misery. I have worked my ass out all my life without a dime from this miserable country – no bursary no scholarship, no medicare no good public school for kids, no good jobs no handout from the system yet i pay tax every month, my salary account gets deducted for pension some wicked souls are busy stealing with impunity!!!. On top of that I now have to battle pounds exchange at N505?? May be it is about time I took my Brit passport and walked!!!

• Chai February 21, 2016 at 7:52 pm

You better walk, what are you waiting for, also don’t forget to take GEJ along with you.

• Anonymous February 21, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Please do you want him to print dollars? Crude oil price has fallen, that is our major if not only source of dollars, You did not steal money but so did so many other Nigerians buy we are all in the same boat. Our case is just like the biblical Joseph story, 7 years of plenty, we squandered/wasted it, now 7 years of lean, we have to face it, tough but that is the fact. Hopefully, we will diversify the economy now

• ElessarisElendil February 22, 2016 at 4:52 am

One person out of 100+ million. We’re in tears at the thought of you leaving.

• konnie-moments February 21, 2016 at 7:29 pm

This man has got to go. I have been saying this for about 18 months now. There are a lot of folks that have a clue. within Naija. please vet them and replace before naira turns to lira. it is getting there.
    Please check out konnie-moments.blogspot.com for fun information, fashion, political opinions etc. Actually a very nice site

• hnok February 21, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Buhari did not pull down the price of oil and you clearly know that our revenue heavily depend on the sales of crude oil…Besides, the last administration filed to diversify other resources in a proper manner due to political instability and corruption for over 11 yrs…… Right from 1986 till now, corruption, negligence and political instability have been killing our currency.

• hnok February 22, 2016 at 2:26 am

failed*** not filed

• kite February 21, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Why not develop the school system in Nigeria. I am sure if we paid our teachers as well as the abroad schools, we can achieve better results than abroad schools. Why must people study abroad if they cannot afford it, obviously they cannot, if they are crying for dollars. similar to what happened in the 70s when money ran out and students started driving Taxi. same thing happening now It is time to innovate our school system, This is the only way forward.

• Omo jesu February 21, 2016 at 7:56 pm

This is very sad and to think that the problem will go away isn’t real as well. This a challenge that is bound to happen and even get worse if we don’t get our act right.
    We import everything: Education, Health, Consumables etc. I pray every day that the Lord should open our eyes and mine to cause a change. We cannot move forward except we all look inward. The problem did not start with the $1:N400, but it started when excellence in schools was thrown out. I remember our dear unity schools then all the stupid quota system was laid emphasis on instead of excellence which eventually produced mediocres and some of them are the ones that have ruled and still ruling. When we hire it is always who you know not how fit you are for the job. So I think by the time we don’t have enough to sustain our children out there, there is bound to be a revolution to be a stickler for excellence.

• Olu February 21, 2016 at 8:16 pm

This may sound harsh ..But there are schools in Nigeria too. If you ant afford to live in ikoyi anyone, sebi u will move…if you need to?
    We want the strength of naira to improve. This is one of the ways.

• Cindy February 21, 2016 at 9:12 pm

You people should stop with this ignorance please. My sister has been abroad for almost four years now. Her program is supposed to end in August, so you want her to come back now? Use your senses please. Haters oshi. And no, we are not a wealthy family. This is her second degree because she didn’t get to study her course of choice in Nigeria just because of discrimination against non-indegenes & non-muslims in unilorin. Now whose fault is this? Mtchew!

• ElessarisElendil February 22, 2016 at 1:18 am

So the majority should pander to the minority???? This is a democracy and the majority have voted to let the minority burn. Shit happens.

• Pretty girl February 21, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Are u guys minding the idiot burno what does he knw. Here in canada as an international student u are only allowed to work 20 hours in a week and even the work is not every time you even work either because u are in school or their is no space for u

• Teju TJ February 22, 2016 at 10:21 pm

So why don’t you go back home and transfer your credits to convenant or Redeemers?

• Lala February 21, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Bruno you’re clearly ingnorant and do have an idea how much education costs abroad or the restrictions on international students.. How is an 18 year old expects to earn $40k a years for fees? Also it’s actually the norm that your parents will pay for your first degree after all kids who went to Nigerian universities were funded by their parents..
    Let’s face it there are corrupt politicians who stole our money and killed the educational system and we’re all suffering for it, however as a parent you want then best for your kid so if you have the means to give them a better education that’s exactly what you will do..
    Most of these parents are making serious sacrifices to train thier kids abroad so they should not be faulted and the government should not be making an already difficult situation more difficult…
    I for one my two parents were educated abroad despite that fact my first two siblings went to Nigerian universities after they spent 8 years in university for a 4 year course the rest of us were sent abroad.. If you have the means there is no point putting your kids in a helpless situation while forming patriotic…

• Missy J February 21, 2016 at 8:33 pm

These are things that should trend.
    This government should try to contain the crisis instead of letting it escalate and unfortunately it is far from what they are doing.
    CBN to start making meaningful policies.

• bruno February 21, 2016 at 8:39 pm

just look at them, very entitled and ungreateful. rich people looking for sympathy. looking for people to feel sorry for them and their richies. well u are not getting any sympathy from me. if america (that is very conducive for learning) is too hard come back to nigeria. we have over 300 different universities and polythenics. then u will know the real koko

bellanaija pls u shouldn’t concern us with this kind of stories. these rich people are going to be alright (kendrick lamar voice)
    instead we should worry about people like
    ola jumoke who live in nigeria and know what suffering is.

“they cant even feed well”
    hahahaha. what do they eat on a normal day? cuisines? , pls stop it.

• Author Unknown February 21, 2016 at 9:33 pm

You’re still talking. LOL

• hezekina pollutina February 21, 2016 at 9:42 pm

di real koko!

• loool February 21, 2016 at 9:49 pm

bruno you are such a clown!!! they are gonna tear you apart on this post today, haha

• lily February 21, 2016 at 11:06 pm

we dont need ur fake sorry ass in our business

• TeeS February 22, 2016 at 12:32 am

Bruno you sound super ignorant and it’s sad I’m wasting away five minutes of my time typing this note to you.
      Number 1, we that are here in the US just don’t eat “cuisines” we eat regular food prepared like they do in Nigeria , we also have to pay for it
      Number 2, I think you’re fooled by what you see ok Instagram or Twitter or on the web in general, unlike Nigerians who get a vacay everyday because somebody died , or whatever stupid reason, we only have few of those every year, so whenever we get time off of cus we are going to enjoy the money we worked so hard for
      Number 3, America , canada or the UK just doesn’t hand things down to anyone, we actually WORK HARD for our money
      Number 4, I am by no means rich or wealthy like you mentioned just like many other people, we are all just trying to survive
      Number 5, we all know the universities in Nigeria are not up to par, so it’s not a sin that our parents were able to send some of us abroad to study
      Number 6, rather than complain about “us” who are abroad, trying to make a life for ourselves “abroad”, worry about yourself and stop spewing ignorance on the Internet
      Number 7, do not reply to this message.

• ATL’s finest February 22, 2016 at 12:51 am

I blame the 12 people who liked your comment. Y’all receive sense IJN AMEN.

• ElessarisElendil February 22, 2016 at 4:55 am

Bruno is funny, I like funny comments. Receive a sense of humour. AMEN.

• OneLoveATL’sFinest February 22, 2016 at 7:43 am

So because you don’t agree with him now every other person too should disagree with him. Is that enough reason to throw shade?You praying for senses for people who might even be way smarter than you. Is it just your person on Bella naija that is so Rigid or that’s how you always are. You better claim that your prayer. This ATL’s finest handle that I see replying too almost every comment that is in line with her opinion sef I hope they are different people using the handle or its the same person. If na you my bae abeg stop am. Attention seeking no good for the body ooo. I hope you have enough sense already to know that smart people are flexible and opened to new ideas. So you won’t come at me for airing my ideas too #peace

• lis February 21, 2016 at 9:30 pm

I remember Nigerian students laughing at Zimbabwean students when this happened to us. How things change. This is how it begins Nigerians first the fuel scarcity, now forex scarcity, next you will be Africa’s laughingstock.

• Nuna February 21, 2016 at 10:04 pm

You are silly to come to this forum and type rubbish. Last I checked, Zimbabwe is still not better and y’all live on handouts. Fowl!

• huh? February 21, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Who invited you to put your mouth in Nigeria’s matter. Please run along to your Zimbabwean websites and leave us alone. Joker. Your economy is beyond redemption and Nigeria will NEVER fall that low. We are survivors, deal with it.

• Surely February 21, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Abeg go eat Mugabe’s 100th birthday cake left overs that he was dribbling over. Ode.

• ATL’s finest February 22, 2016 at 12:55 am

Imagine who’s talking? Someone from Zimbabwe duh??? You shouldn’t be talking when Nigerians are. Keep on laughing cuz I know my folks are stronger than U think/know. And FYI, jus bcuz these parents are crying out loud, doesn’t mean they r too broke to afford it for their kids. Nobody likes to waste their hard earned money. So Lis #BYEFELICIA#. U can put your 2cents when u are spoken to.

• ElessarisElendil February 22, 2016 at 1:20 am

Does Mugbae still run your country? Are you still landlocked? Will Zanu still remain in power after Mugabe.

Since the obvious answer to all this Yes, then sorry you’ll still remain the continent’s laughingstock. Go kowtow to your Chinese owners abeg.

• Omo jesu February 21, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Lis from Zimbabwe, you wish right!
    I can’t stand people that make fun of others misfortunes.
    For your information if you don’t know let me tell you, we Nigerians are very resiliant. We will all come out of all these better and stronger ok. Duhhhhh!!!!!

• Educated February 21, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Bruno you’re extremely useless for both comments. Wanting the best for your children doesn’t make you lazy. Since you’re so happy being ‘poor’ i hope you never see anything good in your miserable life

• Ade_suwa February 21, 2016 at 11:52 pm

@Bruno am with you on diz, this rich pple should kip shut. in shot they are the cause of Nigeria’s problem. LOL.

• Ade_suwa February 21, 2016 at 11:54 pm

• The real Ibinabo February 22, 2016 at 2:12 am

Do you know why I laugh at you? The real rich people e.g. Dangote, Otedola etc are not the ones complaining, in fact they are not affected by the economic situation. It is those that are struggling and using all their resources to provide their kids with the best education they can afford that are affected by this mess. That is why this is annoying me. Even if $1= N2000 DJ cuppy and Zahra Buhari will still buy their chanel bags. Dear Nigerians (including you Bella Naija) please stop kissing the butts of these corrupt individuals , they are the ones milking this country dry.

• ATL’s finest February 22, 2016 at 4:02 am

Omg!! @ The real Ibinabo E hugs & kisses to U.. Chai I wish I could LOVE ur comment 1 billion times. Don’t mind that silly person. How many sensible parent working hard for their kids will pay music fees like Davido’s dad did for him or let’s see even Dj cuppy studied what again in NYC??? So yes, they folks ain’t affected by the economy they don’t give a hoot & PMB’s farm/cattles will still be fed properly.

• nene February 22, 2016 at 12:30 am

i said this. that one day most people, except the 1% will feel the pain that poor and average nigerians have been feeling for years. these are drastic measures and if u can’t cope, you have to jump out. i don’t support the government but the fact that most people are crying over school fees shows just how bad our schools are. i hope the government does a good job of reinforcing the “made in nigeria” idea, if they do, then we can be on to great things in the future.

• Ada Nnewi February 22, 2016 at 1:08 am

i can’t believe i loved your comment..,,but you are very very very right..,..

• Marc Francis of Chelsea February 23, 2016 at 12:01 pm

They are crying over how to send the fees not even the actual fees. The rates are crazy but let us first send the money they need before complaining about how high it is.

• ElessarisElendil February 22, 2016 at 1:24 am

“She, therefore, called on the government to “create an escape route so that children will not continue to suffer.””: Wow! how blinkered can you get, the government has higher priorities than the children of less than 1% of the populace.

If any escape routes are being created I nominate the children in the North-East and Niger-Delta go first.

• Marc Francis of Chelsea February 23, 2016 at 11:55 am

It is not just children of the 1% that are in schools abroad. Many hardworking Nigerians save for years to afford their children that opportunity. Not to mention those on scholarships. It is not a rich versus poor issue. People are suffering and our students abroad need money.

• lafayettebunny February 22, 2016 at 1:52 am

The time we face reality and stop typing from our emotions the better. I can”t say for all international students abroad. But i know even the American students here are facing the brunt. Louisiana as a state is broke, thanks to decline in “oil prices” and revenues generated. The state has decided to cut down the TOPS scholarship for the American resident students.
    While international students have Graduate assistanship or tuition waivers. the schools here cannot cope with the sharp cut in budget. It is impossible to raise $12,200 in tuition per semester as an international student.This fee is being minimalistic and a public school. so while i know the naija banks have not stopped processing form A for school based transaction. It is only right we face reality before we send our family abroad for education. There’s no manna anywhere here, a recession is looming .

• Tgirl February 22, 2016 at 2:05 am

Just shut up already! Not everyone that’s studying abroad is rich! My parent are normal Nigerian in fact my dad works with lawma and yes lawma! I didn’t gain admission in any Nigerian school that was why I went to America! I be correct average Nigerian and this is annoying!!!!!! You guys are just ignorant

• ElessarisElendil February 22, 2016 at 4:59 am

You Dad works with LAWMA?? What exactly is his level? Because unless you’re on a scholarship, your tuition is likely higher than his yearly salary………….which says a lot. No cast your Papa.

How couldn’t you get admission into a Nigerian university, couldn’t pass JAMB, Post UTME and your solution is to go to America?

• Cindy February 22, 2016 at 8:18 am

@elassariselendil your comments are so dumb I can’t. With the way you hate rich people with your guts, I don’t see you ever being rich. I’m not cursing you but #karma. Not every rich person stole your meat. Some people actually worked very hard for their wealth. And it would surprise you to know that very average Nigerians also struggle to send their children abroad for the best education. It is not a crime to want the best for those you care about. You commented that the majority as voted under my comment? Ate you really this stupid? So because the majority voted, the minority should be left to die abi? All lives matter. Students are starving and some don’t even have enough for plane ticket back home. I pray you receive sense to learn to show empathy. Don’t worry, one day you’ll be the minority to and you’ll see how it feels. Rubbish.

• Krasavitsa February 22, 2016 at 9:52 am

@ Cindy. Nigeria tbh doesn’t have a government problem, we have a people problem. It’s the bad people that rule that’s corrupting our government. The average nigerian doesn’t like to see others progress. Once they’ve sufferred, every other person must ; hence Ellesaril’s ignorant comments. He’s forgotten that JAMB was designed to limit the number of Students to be admitted annually by our very few and mostly incompetent universities. He also forgot that not everyone gets to study the course they want to in Nigerian universities. So Cindy, mind him not.

• tumz February 22, 2016 at 6:09 am

As much as we would like to stay back in Nigeria..it gets rather frustrating,no system works effectively,lets leave the economy outta it,almost 56 years post independence,we still can’t boast of constant electricity..the healthcare system is a mess .The people that have been in power since our parents were kids are still the ones running for offices.The least the government can do is put a working system in place.

• Amy February 22, 2016 at 6:11 am

Why does it seem some folks are “happy” about this school fees/forex matter? It’s not a ” rich people”s problem and we the people should be concerned together. The big time looters of Nigerian treasury are not the ones affected, they have fat bank accounts here or in Europe or Dubai with enough stashed away for several generations.
    This is affecting whatever is left of Nigeria’s middle class struggling to provide a better life for their children having attended Nigerian universities before the massive looting escalated in the late eighties (my opinion).

It is simply not feasible to ask them to all go back to school in Nigeria and leave their programs here, nor is it even fair. We need to take a wholistic and long term view of Nigeria ‘s situation and stop the looting of public funds that has now resulted in importation of even qualified manpower resources. Nigerians should unite and ask questions about what happened to 30 years’ budgets in education, health, trade, defense etc ministries, results of which we are now seeing. I got my first degree from UI in the eighties and at that time as far as I knew, only few who failed JAMB or didn’t get a good score to enter the program they wanted, went outside to study. That apart from those whose parents or relatives lived abroad and who went because of that. No one really cared about going to school overseas as there were good schools like UI, Ife, Nsukka,Uniben, Unilag, Abu etc. to attend after attending one of the numerous good quality public high schools including the federal govt owned ones one of which I had the privilege of attending at a cost of less than a dollar per semester today. Then the public looting escalated, the results are now very obvious in defense, education, health etc.
    We all have to join hands and stop the looting and recover it instead of vilifying those trying to get their kids good education by making such sacrifices as waking up to get to a bank at 6.40 am. I feel sorry for young international students here because of all the restrictions on their visa. Let’s stop gloating and exhibiting ignorance, international students pay more than non resident citizens, who in turn pay more than residents of Public institutions here. Every time I speak to one of my children’s apartment mate who is a Nigerian international student, I feel sorry for the kid and sad for my original country.

I never used to comment till recently but I decided to start adding my own voice so that we can all drown the voices of ignorance, mediocrity, corruption and wickedness and hopefully return to the glory days of good schools, good hospitals, based on meritocracy in admissions of course!
    Let’s forget our differences for once and begin to unite against the looters who have a common language: stealing and oppression of the masses. They are the ones who need to remove the dollars in their soakaway pits, and mattresses and water tanks, not the parent queuing to buy school fees. Transferred aggression is not productive at all.

• Buhari said February 22, 2016 at 10:07 am

Buhari said he wont devalue the naira cos of you people.

Yo all should do “Made in Nigeria” and let us save our country

10% cant be doing foreign foreign at the expense of the 90%

Sorry but you have to deal with it

• Moyo February 22, 2016 at 11:09 am

there has been a press release by CBN today that school fees and medicals remain eligible for FOREX allocation. all genuine users have been advised to approach their banks with requests.

• Xtie February 22, 2016 at 1:06 pm

@green eye, you have intelligently aired your opinion on this matter and I learnt a lot from your comment. Kudos sis…pls show a sister the way on the online business you do. I will pay you for consultation. @kemmie if green eye informs you, reach out to a sister too. Ozawo@yahoo.com

• lolz February 22, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Who send una mesage if. Ur dad isnt. Da rich abeg pack ur load com nija 2 study abroad no b moi-moi hahaha see their coment hunger wan wound dem.change ur name 2 my papa own.dey wan be like deir mate oya nw pay d money smmmmmmmmhhhh butterfly wey say e na bird hahahaha u aren’t got shishi

• Liz February 22, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Very often, we forget that living or studying abroad is not just about the quality of education we are able to receive, it is the experience in its entirety. In spite of these challenges if I had to choose a university all over again, it would be one outside of Nigeria. Living away teaches you many skills including time management, use of initiative, responsibility, and the ability to branch out and make connections. I’m thankful for the opportunity my parents work hard to be able to afford.

• Chu February 22, 2016 at 2:41 pm

This is an aside, but I want to leave Nigeria, I’m sick and tired of it, I have been pro-Nigerian for long, believing that it will get better so did not travel even when I had opportunities to push for it. The cobwebs have gone, my eyes are clear, this country will take a long time to change, this generation is as corrupt as our parents, I will not be the lone wolf again, I want better for myself and family.
    Please how can I relocate? I was born in UK but unfortunately in 1983 (Ironically Jan 6 by elective CS, asked my mum why she didnt just give birth in December instead of wanting to enjoy Christmas)when Thatcher made that law that you do not become a citizen just be being born there. Is there any way to walk around this law?
    I know some people would not be pleased with this but its my life, my choice.

• Weezy February 22, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Go for a master’s degree or PhD in a field where there is strong demand. Do not go to law school or architecture school!!

• Crimson_ou_sooner February 22, 2016 at 10:00 pm

American students usually get loans to finance their education, some even get this loans up till masters level, this is the norm. The beautiful thing about America is that all you need is the will, discipline, and hunger to succeed and with God on your side you will. Now Nigerian (international) students who come to study here albeit at higher fees get funded by their parents, is this proper? I guess it depends on what side of the divide you are looking at if from. The thing is, with the American method of financing education you become responsible and mindful of the effort you put into your studies and you are also appreciative of any handouts….i always wondered why during school events where free pizza and things were being handed out the American students were always hustling for stuff..
    Its time we as Nigerians started teaching our kids the importance of responsibility and fending for themselves. By all means if you can afford to send your children abroad to school please go ahead and do so, but don’t be disillusioned that it will be a bed of roses. Prepare your children to become self reliant, if it means they have to earn extra income so be it.
    I propose that those with kids universities in the United States should find ways to apply for student loans if they are finding it difficult to source money from Nigeria to pay fees, you don’t start paying on them till after graduation anyways. That will at least keep your child in school till when you can get funds to pay.

• Teju TJ February 22, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Why are you people shouting upandan? Dollar is 400 naira, if you want to go to school in America, go to school in AMerica. Stop complaining that the dollar is high. No one is forcing you. if your parent’s can’t afford it anymore, biko come back home and go to a school they can afford. Please let them factor the exchange rate into their budget and figure out if they can afford it or not. Shikena.

• ElessarisElendil February 23, 2016 at 3:04 am

Wow Kravasita “He’s forgotten that JAMB was designed to limit the number of Students to be admitted annually by our very few and mostly incompetent universities.”

So how exactly is it my fault that some people can’t pass JAMB? The million plus students that it doesn’t limit yearly, do they have two heads??

And Cindy its not hating rich people to simply not want to subsidise their expenses, its common senseTM. So I should suffer high inflation for them, are they feeding me?? Haba!

• Krasavitsa February 23, 2016 at 11:12 am

@ EllesarilEllendil……I’m sure you know that it’s not ALL students that “failed” JAMB that actually failed. My older sister (very brilliant btw) had 2 of her results withheld and her centre was cancelled the 3rd time. The only time I attempted the exam, was at her 3rd attempt. So, my dad decided to send us abroad to school, since JAMB was obviously a waste of time. Was he supposed to sit and do nothing? And to all those saying “can’t international students work?”, I hope you guys know that it’s not all countries that give students work permit? In Ukraine, and I think Russia, it’s against the law for foreign students to work. The only means of income generation is by making hair and maybe selling Nigerian foodstuff to students who aren’t fortunate to come home for summer break. I made little change by selling my designs and it was in NO WAY enough to pay for my accommodation not to mention tuition.

• Adun February 25, 2016 at 10:35 pm

I’m sorry but i don’t buy this sob story at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which children are these folks yammering about and in which schools? My sister is in the UK for her master and we paid her fees and send her money at the CBN rate and i am a regular 9 to fiver !!!!!!!!!! i dont know anybody in any high places. Most of these people say their children are abroad but its a big fat lie!!! if you have the required documentation you are allowed to use the Form A to pay fees and a maintenance allowance for your child!!!! Most of these people do not have kids abroad abeg!!!!!!!!!!!!! they purchase the forex in order to funnel it back into the country and sell it at a profit!! Awon Ole!!!! IF YOUR CHILD IS REALLY SCHOOLING ABROAD, I DOUBLE DARE YOU TO TAKE THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION TO THE BANK AND SEE IF YOU WILL BE DENIED FOREX. I’m so so angry right now. It’s these people who wish to put unnecessary pressure on the govt to devalue the Naira so they can make profit. Nonsense. My children are crying ko, their children are crying ni

• Omolola February 27, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Hello All. I can help with money transfer to/from the US. Pay into my Nigeria account and I transfer to the person’s US checking or debit card at the current exchange rate. And vice versa. Kindly comment below if interested. Thanks.