Alleged Child Abduction: Nwakalor Mitchelle Cries Out #BringXavierBack

Xavier and his dad franck

In February of this year, the story of Nwakalor Mitchelle, her son Xavier and his alleged abduction by his French father Franck Reymann was shared online. BellaNaija.com reached out to Mitchelle to hear her own side of the story and she had this to say:

How it all started: “On Wednesday 3rd February 2016, I received a call from my son’s school asking me to come over immediately, because a man named Franck Reymann stormed into the school with armed police men and court bailiffs, presenting a document asking the school to hand over Xavier to them. But obviously the school insisted on waiting for me to arrive. I called a lawyer immediately and we went to the school together. They presented me and my lawyer with a court document granting Xavier’s dad Franck Reymann, full unconditional custody of Xavier. I couldn’t believe my eyes because I was never served nor informed. So my lawyer insisted we go to their boss in Maitama High Court first. When we got there, we entered an office and met a man there. The bailiff handed a file to him and explained the situation. He said he understands my point of view but by law when an order like that is given, we have to obey first.

Which I painfully did. And my poor little boy looked so terrified because of the armed policemen, without saying a word, he kissed me and walked towards the man he calls Uncle Franck. That was the last time I saw Xavier. What shocks me the most is we have a pending case at the human rights office and we’ve had several meetings with them, so basically they are the ones handling our case. I was the one that took the case there when Franck forcefully abducted Xavier for 4 months in 2013/early 2014. I remember going to BNL Gate pleading to see my son, instead I was physically assaulted by the guards at the gate. One of the uniformed men asked me to leave immediately or he will shoot at my tires. While all this was happening, Franck drove past with Xavier in the car and almost ran me down with the vehicle. I sent emails to the company head office in Paris, went to Ministry of Foreign Affairs to report, sent countless emails to the French embassy, which off course I didn’t get a reply. The only reply I got was from BNL headquarters in Paris when I figured no one was interested. I then went to the Human Rights office but that case is still pending because Franck refused to appear when he was invited.

Now he is claiming he doesn’t know my house or anything about me, so how did he find the school? I have called Franck on several occasions, even showed him my house, my shop and of course he also knows where my family lives. Oh I also forgot to mention I reported him at women’s right office (WRAPA) at the end of 2011 because he seized Xavier’s passport and threatened to leave the country with Xavier. When we visited WRAPA, he told them he wants to take Xavier to France for Christmas and he is assuring them that he will be back after Christmas and as soon as he gets back, he will return both Xavier and his passport to me. As a result of this, the lawyers at WRAPA office insisted we all sign an agreement stating he will be back January and will return the passport to me. When he got back, he brought Xavier to me, but refused to bring the passport till date! So now, I don’t know wear Franck lives or works, I don’t know if Xavier is still in Nigeria. I am totally devastated and need help in getting my Xavier back.”

Court documents presented by court clerks when they came to Xavier's school

Court documents presented by Court Clerks when they came to Xavier’s school

On how she feels about the back and forth going on with the case in the Nigerian Court: “His lawyers claimed they served me, but I was never served. So my lawyer filed a motion the court and we were called in for hearing 3rd of March. Franck didn’t come but his lawyer came. His lawyer kept on bragging that I’m too poor to care for Xavier, saying Franck has enrolled Xavier in a 1.5 million Naira school (French school to be precise) this is a child that can’t even speak French.  I understand Franck’s lawyer is doing his job, but I don’t think he is being professional.  Because he always attacks me with insults at any chance he gets. He says stuff like: ‘You only date white men.’ and how I should be grateful to Franck for taking me to France to give birth etc. In my opinion that’s crossing the line. Secondly, when I met Franck I was leaving in the UK. My friend introduced me to him when I was on holiday in Abuja. Anyway the court case didn’t hold again because the judge didn’t come, apparently he was busy. So they postponed the hearing to 4th April. This  breaks my heart because I haven’t seen or spoken to my son since 3rd February when he was taken away from me. I call Franck but he doesn’t answer my calls.”

On her faith with the justice system:“To be honest I feel our system has failed me, because what Franck is doing here right now, he can never do that in his own country France. So I’m really disappointed!  Franck’s lawyer was pointing fingers at me saying I’m going on social media insulting the court and the judge. To be honest, I’ve never pointed fingers at the judge because I got to understand that he only works with the information given. And I know for sure that Franck lied his way through.”

On what her desired outcome regarding this case: “I just want to be heard, I want justice to be served. I want to be reunited with my baby. Oh, I forgot to state the fact that not only did he ask the court for unconditional full custody, he also asked that I pay him 5 million Naira in damages. That’s the part I find amusing to be honest.”

Mitchelle Nwakalor

Mitchelle Nwakalor

We at BellaNaija hope the appropriate authorities come to Mitchelle’s aid and help her in getting her son back.

You can keep up with Xavier’s case here.

21 Comments on Alleged Child Abduction: Nwakalor Mitchelle Cries Out #BringXavierBack
  • Fleur March 11, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Mitchelle, I hear you – nobody should snatch a baby. There is something called due process. However, why are you having a hard time saying that Franck is the father of this child? Your note sounds as if some unknown French man came in from Paris and abducted your kid and made your kid start calling him Uncle Franck. Step down from your disabled horse and be strong. You had a relationship with him, it did not work out. You had a baby. You have been raising the baby. Has he given you child support in the past? If yes, say so. Honesty always pays. This is a custody battle. Let us call it what it is so that there are no distracting stories that make you look unnecessarily desperate. Did you allow the man custodial visits? Did he ever offer child support? If yes, why has he decided his only recourse is stealing the child at the risk of a diplomatic row? Sounds to me like a father who is either worried about his child or in desperate need of access to a child he parented.

• Public March 11, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I feel your pain but common, there is more to this

Please say the truth and let us know. Tell us what is not known to the public

5m damages for what, what did you do to warrant that? Did you steal something? broke his car/house or something?

Why did the court grant him full custody? Are you incapacitated? Do you do drugs like Davido’s baby mama?

I mean, something must have warranted all this- or was the court bought over and the Judges?

A slight correction, it would be fallacious to call it “abduction” if the court granted full custody

What is it that we don’t know?

• bruno March 11, 2016 at 2:45 pm

oh pls, this babe is trying to play the victim and potray the man as a monster. as usual this is what women do always.they will try their best to potray the man in a bad light. pls what the hell is “he calls the man uncle” REALLY? maybe if u allowed the father to see his son and interact with his son and bond with his son in the past, the child won’t be calling his own father uncle

the way she talks as if the man is going harm his own child. he enrolled the boy in a french school cause the boy’s father is french. if the child cant speak french he will learn thats why he is in a french school for crying out loud. pls nobody abducted ur child. we need to be very careful with words like “abducted” ” rape” “molested” “abuse” . u women should take cation when using such words. this woman lost custody of her kid plain and simple. bellanaija pls change that headline its misleading. if u think ur child was abducted then go to the police and file a missing person’s report or something

this is a typical case of when being a baby mama goes wrong. u ladies, u people better know who u are getting pregnant for. everything is not about money or visa.

• truth March 11, 2016 at 3:07 pm

you are heartless for this bruno. How would you feel if this happens to you. I believe the father meant well for the child, but i also believe he made use of the corrupt system and bribed his way through. I have seen it done, and by the way this happened i think mr reymann did bribe the court, whether for the good of the child or not, he broke the law.

• Kadara March 11, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Lawyers in the house can a court grant one parent full custody when the other parent was not able to appear in court to state her case because she never received papers. Can’t she appeal based on that? Will it be possible for her to show that she was never served?

• Halima March 11, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Hmmm… A mother’s cry.

• OA March 11, 2016 at 3:49 pm

That’s why the title clearly states “Alleged” – that right there is Bella Naija’s disclaimer.

• heeba March 11, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Mitchelle….How old are you? your typing makes you seem very young and naive? may be I am wrong. eg.. “erm ..I forgot to say….” Ohh did I mention…..”
    Anyway you have not explained everything in totality, you have kept some information to yourself and only given half truths!!!
    If Reyman is the father, and has been given permission to have full custody of his SON then the child is NOT being ABDUCTED!
    It is sad that he has taken your son away from you ,and I feel your pain but you are somewhat better off that he went through a judicial process to do that, MOST Nigerian MEN just carry the children away with no explanation at all.
    You need to talk to the father of your child with lawyers and matured elderly people on how both of you can Co-Parent this child.if you had done this earlier there may have been no need for the judiciary cos both of you will amicably worked it out.
    The system works ,though slow, not 100% but it works on minor issues like this.They assessed that he is better able financially to take care of the child and give him the BEST and also gave him custody because you did not allow him visit and contact his child when necessary(I may be wrong on this) finally do you work or have a consistent job? that could have played a vital role in giving the father full custody.
    Did he ever send money to take care of the Boy? did you use it for what you were supposed to use it for?
    all this could have worked against you to give him full custody instead of partial.
    Anyhooo….try and talk to him and see how you can get visiting rights or partial custody of your son, if you need to work on yourself to improve your situation then do so….I wish you the best

• marlvina March 11, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Hmm I must date a foreign guy. I must get oyibo pikin. I must get papers into another country. My pikin must bear an oyibo surname….now see the result?? Sorry o!

• Custody issues March 11, 2016 at 4:27 pm

It is now (based on the above comments) that I know people can be unfair. Please Don’t believe everything you read. I probably would have thought along the same lines of the above comments if I had not had a similar experience in my life. Believe me when I say some men can be devilish. Yes, they can lie about anything. It could (as I was not there) be a lie that he claimed to have served her when in actual fact he did not-my soon to be ex-husband did the same and even already arranged lies to back up his moves…but GOD is faithful- so yes she could be telling the truth that she was not served. I read the full story elsewhere and you all might want to read it before you start making your conclusions. If all she said is true then she deserves full custody of her child as she has been the one taking care of her child for a while and she was also abused so…
    What I have come to realize is some people can go to any extent when it comes to child custody battle. The fact that he’s richer than her does not make him a better parent. If he lied regarding the legal proceedings then yes it can be said that he abducted the child cos he got the child illegally.
    I just think its unfair to automatically think she’s not telling the truth simply because the man got custody through the ‘legal system’.
    I pray GOD intervenes in this matter and may HIS perfect WILL be done.
    If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all rather than say something that adds to the sadness this lady is probably already going through.

• chichi March 11, 2016 at 5:55 pm

Man I agree with you @custody issues. People are straight up mean. I don’t know this woman but I would say that I feel very sorry for her right now. Especially as she’s in Nigeria, and no, I don’t have a lot of faith in the system, if it barely works in Lagos can you imagine how bad it is in some states, small towns and villages, I’ve heard the stories. But my point is, people are being harsh on this woman because she hasn’t given every single detail of this case to us, which she doesn’t have to, and secondly because she married oyibo man. At the end of the day, don’t judge her based on other peoples stories. People absolutely will go crazy over getting custody and most times money wins which is the case here it seems. Good luck to them, and I hope both parents remember that if its not for the good of the child but just so they can say “I won” then its a huge shame. That child wont thank them later.
      ps @Bruno your bitterness and ugly heart is showing.

• The real Ibinabo March 11, 2016 at 11:09 pm

I disagree with you. She has to give us the full details since she presented the matter on a public platform to appeal for assistance from the readers. The story seems patchy and I cannot form an opinion on the case based on what has been presented. Madam abeg give us the full story

• Deezzer March 11, 2016 at 5:28 pm

I suspect foul play from her side of the story though….haven’t heard or read the supposed father’s side so can not judge.

However, she is not coherent with her story so it somewhat irks semi-literacy and desperation which the guy takes advantage of. He uses these traits as a ground to seek full custody of the child. Maybe she is not financially buoyant to care for the child. So many factors; because from her explanation, all her letters to his international office in Paris were ignored and other efforts she made were ignore….I’m afraid she is playing a victim to get her baby. While I understand she wishes to be granted access to her baby, but from this picture, you could (and i repeat could) deduce that she lives a lifestyle that is not safe for the child…You all need to understand the way our ladies behave with these white guys….it is very embarrassing!!!

Well…may Truth and Justice prevail!!!

• coke March 11, 2016 at 5:33 pm

The court can grant full custody of a child to a parent if the other parent is not responsible enough to take care of the child.

• ATL’s finest March 11, 2016 at 5:44 pm

It is well with U & hopefully everything goes well with them. I see BN made a Lil change to their comment section nice. ☺

• Funky March 11, 2016 at 7:30 pm

What I don’t understand is why a foreigner should have more ‘rights’ than a Nigerian citizen.

• i no send March 11, 2016 at 10:53 pm

BN since a competent court of law awarded him custody..instead of asking the authorities to come to her aid without the full facts …maybe you should try reaching out to the father of the kid for his on side of the story .till then this is a one sided story..however my heart goes out to her no mum should be without their child.

• swagg1 March 11, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Okay lady lets move on cuz this is nothing short of a custody battle.

• Enny Heart Heart March 11, 2016 at 11:12 pm

I don’t know you miss, or the full story, but my heart aches for you. If this child has lived with you for most of his young life and you are able to take absolute great care of him, and love him as much, then you deserve to have your baby back.

This is looking like a rich white man using his race and money to oppress the poor girl.
    Having said that, girl, I’m side-eye looking at you like one of those abj girls wey dey trap oyiibo like an Aussie trapping abalone. I hope the former is the case sha.
    Anyway wish you all the best and Oyinbo man #bringxavierback!

• Mz Agams March 16, 2016 at 2:33 pm

She should go to court and appeal the ruling with her lawyer, not on social media

• Mz Agams March 16, 2016 at 2:36 pm

And contrary to popular opinion the courts can and do work, IF YOU GO TO THEM. I should know. I;m a Family Lawyer deal with cases like this all the time. her current action is inappropriate