Richard Akuson: My Unforgettable Experience at The 2016 AMVCAs

8. Genevieve Nnaji (1)I flew down to Lagos for the AMVCAs and was in no time in the good company of Diana Opoti – who’s the Founder of 100 Days of African Fashion – an annual campaign where she spends 100 days wearing different African designers – it’s been covered by BuzzFeed, BellaNaija and more.

The morning before the AMVCAs was one filled with exploration for us, from doing our respective fittings with designers Emmy Kasbit and Iconic Invanity, to getting our make up done by MAC Cosmetics, we had a lot to do with very little time by our side. We were finally 30 minutes late but it was indeed a day well spent in preparation for the AMVCAs.

We were at the venue in no time (which was a walking distance from where we were staying). We were seated at exactly 6.40pm at the gallery—although far away from where the nominees were seated, I can, however, argue that we had the very best view.

I was excited to be at the AMVCAs because of how great of a glamour and beauty institution that it has come to represent over it’s 4 years of existence, and this was going to be my first time being present at the awards show, so, imagine the castles I’d built in my mind and how happy I was to be one of the few guests present at the event—I knew what I was looking forward to, and at the end of the day, these five highlights mentioned below had to be my most memorable moments from the awards!

Genevieve was Indeed the Belle of the Ball

8. Genevieve Nnaji (2)

Say what you may, I thought that Genevieve Nnaji looked absolutely ravishing, she was my best dressed person by a far—far margin, she completely understands the phrase ‘power dressing’ to the latter and made very good use of it. Her hair was relaxed in a super sleek way, her makeup absolutely stunning, her dress…oh my God, that dress was everything! If there was any moment that Genevieve’s style star shone the brightest, it’d have to be on the 2016 AMVCAs red carpet. Do I have to talk about her body? Genevieve, if you’re reading this darling—all those sweaty hours that you must have burnt in the gym doing all those squats, aerobics, yoga e.t.c have really paid off—keep it up, and I wouldn’t mind watching your fitness video.

Bukky Ajayi’s Moving Speech and Adesua Etomi’s Quote Worthy Acceptance Speech

The 2016 AMVCAs would not have been what it was without Bukky’s heartfelt acceptance speech after being awarded her Merit Awards. I cried, the people around me did too. I could see that it meant the world to her, and when she said “..are you all standing for me?”, my heart, nerve and sinew almost gave up on me, I just wanted to give her a hug and say, “yes ma, you deserve much more than this”.

But that wasn’t all, for a second, I was disappointed that Genevieve did not get the best actress award—because I thought she brought her character to life in ‘Road to Yesterday’.

I really didn’t know much about Adesua Etomi, but the moment she held the mic and started talking, I knew that Adesua was Nollywood’s best kept secret. She spoke with so much vigour, strength and confidence, and did not forget to use that opportunity to encourage every other person to never let fear stop them from pursuing their dreams.

The International Acts Really Meant Business

In comparison to past editions, the Nigerian acts that performed at the 2016 AMVCAs did a much better job than the past performers, there were no lip synching at all; but even at that, the international acts did a far more memorable job. First was Salvadore, who gave a rib cracking performance, he literally left me in stiches with his Nollywood and Bollywood inspired jokes, and more than anything else, they really were preaching a salient gospel. Also along the same line was South African song bird – Zonke Dikana who really sangggg! I mean, I am yet to see a better performance at the AMVCAs, so, it’ll be safe to say she set the bar for future performers.

Dry was the Movie of the Night

I’d have left the AMVCAs with a heavy heart if Dry (Stephanie Okereke, Liz Benson’s power house performances were completely calmed by Zubaida Ibrahim Fagge’s stellar debut performance)  had not gotten the movie of the year award. I jumped and screamed as Stephanie Okereke stepped out to collect the award, which in my opinion was quite timely especially because of the recent case of Ese Oruru which just like in the movie Dry, is about a forceful girl child marriage, which is clearly happening around us more than we’d imagined.

The 2016 AMVCAs was not an “African Time” affair

For the first time in my life, I was at a Nigerian event that started at exactly 7pm and ended at exactly 9.40pm (as scheduled), that was absolutely amazing for me. Besides which, the AMVCAs organisation seemed pretty much decent especially in comparison to their peers.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show, and I expect to back in 2017 to an AMVCA with more glamorously dressed guests and even much more interesting and captivating content.

Until then,

Ciao!

38 Comments on Richard Akuson: My Unforgettable Experience at The 2016 AMVCAs
  • aikay March 9, 2016 at 7:27 pm

I could not help but notice the statement ” Our faces where beat by MAC Cosmestics”. Richard ohhhhhhh!!!!!! so you don join denola grey dey rub pancake and dey do contouring abi? Hmmmmmm ……….. Well I must agree with you on Genny sha, though I joined the bandwagon to slam her for looking too simple and boring but the more I look at this picture the more I see what is going on with the hair, make up and the gown. I must say it grew on me. She gave the whole nude monotone trend a new life….

• Rio March 9, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Well personally, i did not like what Genny wore one bit. Yes, she carried it well but nah. Too safe and basic, other people may disagree. Richard seem like he wants to build a career out of kissing Genevieve’s ass. Carry on o, brutha.

• Californiabawlar March 9, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Maybe it was much nicer in person? There are some outfits like that…they loose a bit of their flare in photos….of course, this is me assuming you weren’t at the event…

• le coco March 10, 2016 at 6:19 am

yes oo.. just as BN swares ini edo was one of the best dressed..

• Majestic March 9, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Lol…sounds like you really had fun Richard!…you should have at least mentioned 1 or 2 other actresses that also slayed now(every show doesn’t revolve around genny)…but if it’s genny that does it for you…it’s allowed..?

• Drknite March 9, 2016 at 8:16 pm

I can’t stop staring at the back of Genevieve’s dress either. I definitely have to follow her on the Gram.

• trey March 9, 2016 at 8:41 pm

You know that bum ain’t hers right?

• Cookies? March 9, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Yeah!!! We do know she borrowed it from you…hope she returned it, or I’d like to think you are generous enough to let her keep it. Just don’t go around telling everyone.#justgiveitup.

• Spunky March 9, 2016 at 9:36 pm

And it belongs to you?! Lol!

• bruno March 9, 2016 at 9:07 pm

its a shame that the highest award in our movie industry is a fan voted award. really? if u are a real film maker or actor the last thing u want is for the public to judge ur work. its a popularity contest. pete edochie can never win this award cause he isnt on instagram with 50k followers. pls nollywood do well. we can never get it right. to win an amvca is not prestigious. and it shouldn’t be the highlight of ur career if u are a serious actor who takes his/her craft seriously.

• bruno March 9, 2016 at 9:08 pm

as for u mr Richard akuson the least u could have done is show us what u wore to the event abi u are talking about ur amvca experience, or are u afraid (sipping tea)

• Tell me March 10, 2016 at 2:29 pm

isn’t that him in the 2nd picture?

• fabulicious March 9, 2016 at 9:18 pm

I have always admired your style of writing and all the little extras but when you said Genevieve could have won best actress,i then realized that some of that mac powder must have blocked something up there..Please its viewer’s choice awards.She didn’t deserve it more than the winner.Stop kissing ass.

• George March 9, 2016 at 10:03 pm

But u hv to understand ecsaid dat cuz he knew liitle abt etomi but later acknowledged her!! I too would hv said same in his shoes

• nwakaego March 9, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Just a booty tooch…..

• Cece March 9, 2016 at 10:06 pm

At first when i read ‘her hair was relaxed in a super sleek way’ i thot he meant a chemically relaxed hair. Lol…. I think saying ‘her hair was styled sounds better. Meanwhile i think the colour of that dress doesnt compliment her complexion.

• I just waka come…. March 9, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Daaaarhlin, ‘relaxed’ in this sense means ‘laid back and slaying’ in my false-nasal-pseudo-posh-Bella-elitist accent.

Casually sips lemon tea while nibbling on saffron cookies.

• sharon March 9, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Lovely write up!! Best moment for me too was Aunty Bukky. I’d love you To put a bit more effort into your outfit next time though, it’s an award notably the African Oscars and you are a style blogger

• BlueEyed March 10, 2016 at 2:20 am

In that outfit?? I can’t even take you serious

• diamond March 10, 2016 at 2:32 am

who God has blessed no man can curse Genny u slayed like Beyonce n Rihanna as for the award if them like make them win Oscar even Grammy they re ur students and u the teacher.Amen

• Bless March 10, 2016 at 3:38 am

Fabilicious, what are you talking about ???
    The point there is… Is Adesuwa a good actress…. YES!
    Did she get more votes than Genny….. A BIG NO !!
    Is she better than Genevieve in terms of acting…. CAPITAL NO !!! (They shouldnt even be compared…)
    How come Adesuwa won…. Thats AMVCA biggest Fraud of the Night ! A DAY LIGHT ROBBERY…..
    Same with the Best Actor,s category…..

• zibaintl March 10, 2016 at 8:19 am

@bless…pls tak it easy..its not DAT serious..I tout dey were nominated based on their performances in road to yesterday n falling…so judging based on their overall acting skills is not applicable in dis case…however in my opinion , adewusa has a CAPITAL YES better Dan gennny in acting. don’t forget d young shall grow. grow means, dey will become better Dan their predecessors n dats d reality today in nollywood movies…d old names are still living in their past glory so don’t b surprised wen a new name wins..its all about delivery n dats wat adesuwa has been up to all this while.

• MAN March 10, 2016 at 8:33 am

I’m a die-hard fan of Genevieve but I think Adesua deserves the award. Not because Genny’s character in RTY wasn’t deep or soul-wrenching but Genevieve campaigned more for Best West African Movie. she only campaigned thrice for Best Actress but for every week since nomination, her posts were about voting RTY as BEST WEST AFRICAN MOVIE. I got 7000 votes for Genny, two friends of mine got 10,000 and 12,000 respectively. But we all knew her pride in winning BWAM would be utmost because it’s her first production and it’s gonna motivate her to do better and also create awareness to folks that she’s now a producer

• MAN March 10, 2016 at 8:38 am

In addition, Genevieve is the most versatile actress among her PEERS. But she’s yet to do comedy movie. I’m so glad her next production is a comedy movie as the script is ready. Can’t wait to see Genevieve in another movie genre asides DRAMA. My only prayer is that the movie shouldn’t be disappointing but should be fun to watch. I also hope she takes criticism about RTY to work which are LITTLE/NO SOUNDTRACK, BORING 1ST 20MINS of the movie. Picture quality, script, acting, cinematography, twists and every other thing are just perfect or good.

• blessyn March 10, 2016 at 8:46 am

@Bless….Adesua won best Actress in a drama

• Ready March 10, 2016 at 9:16 am

I’m trying to get with Richard’s narration style, especially because adjusting to a new job isn’t easy.. This article did nothing for me sha.

• bijouxthisbijouthat March 10, 2016 at 10:31 am

Um you mean to say you were made up? and as a guy you were soo happy your face was beat? my gaydar is on you!
    I couldnt get past how you were literally gushing over Genny,we get it,she is your idol but this ass kissing was a tad too much naw..
    She definitely was not the best dressed: Osas,Rukky, Mercy looked better than your idol Genny
    And no,its not about how the dress looked in reality,its about how gorgeous it looks in photos! end of story

• Ethel March 10, 2016 at 10:49 am

i totally agree with you Richy, especially the part where “Dry” was picked as the movie of the Year, couldn’t have asked for any better. u failed to talk about Nse’s attitude when she came up on stage for an award presentation, she was not cheerful at all

• Ch March 10, 2016 at 3:46 pm

@Ethel, I thought I was the only one that noticed. I felt she was a tad rude too. And no one else (bloggers and the likes) seemed to have picked it.

• Favy March 10, 2016 at 11:49 am

Ha,ha,ha, I love, love, love you cookies. Richie, you can kiss any damn ass you wish to, away with the bloody slammers. Genny was, is and would continue to be the best for me.

• beauty March 10, 2016 at 12:16 pm

All I can say is Richard you are 4 days late! We are already done with AMVCA and even looking forward to AY Live on Easter Sunday

• Bey March 10, 2016 at 12:25 pm

In other news, Mac studio fix is now N11,500 and Ruby woo is 7k at mac in psalms.
    Naija where are we going, I think I last bought studio fix 7k or smthn.
    Naija where are we going? is this part of the ‘change’.
    Am I now to rub Johnsons baby powder and baby oil as lip balm.

• Ameh March 10, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Genevieve was “OKAY” but to say she was the best dressed, is very far from the truth. Guess she wanted to be on the safe side which she actually did. Nice dress, but regular look.

• prince March 10, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Maybe Genny’s dress is better in person than pictures but as for the performance, Yemi Alade’s performance was a taboo. She’ll just be screaming off-beat and trying so hard to be flexible when she’s as stiff as TINKO.
    Salvador tried though but I still believe that there were lots of people that look amazing that day than Genny and her likes, Ini Edo and Ibinabo remains the worst dress ever (till date)

• Tosin March 10, 2016 at 5:22 pm

you know i love you. thank you.

• tracey March 11, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Genevieve didn’t look nice period. so other people wore better dresses and were styled better. fact is fact O

• omo March 31, 2016 at 11:17 pm

genny looked ok… as for her as an actress she is versitile and also good. its in nigeria we try to overdo things angelina jolie doesnt do comedy and jenifer aniston doesnt do action yet dey r icons in hollywood…so genny is superb and graceful and adesua also is good

• ebenezer codjoe May 5, 2016 at 3:12 pm