News

JEWEL BY LISA

BellaNaija.com

One of my goals when I started this blog was to expand my fashion horizon beyond the regular designers we see and hear about everyday. I luv to feature budding designers who are fab but not neccesarily well-known by most Nigerians and other Africans…We did that with the Bella Naija Africa Fashion Week and also when I blogged about Eboka and Blokes ‘n’ Divas at this year’s Cape Town Fashion Week……Here is another budding designer at add to your fashion repertoire….ENJOY

In a few short years, Jewel by Lisa has grown from a bejewelled accessory seller to a stellar fashion label. The creative director of the label, Lisa Folawiyo is credited as one of the trendsetters who revamped Ankara and reintroduced it to us as the ‘must-have’ fabric…She is well-known for her ability to garnish Ankara designs with delicate jewels, crystals and sequins to create unique and wearable pieces….
Here are some pictures from her recent fashion show held in Lagos……

The Designer – Lisa

Contact Details for Jewel By Lisa:
6, Ribadu Road, off Awolowo Road, S/W Ikoyi, Lagos-Nigeria
08033085416

What do u guys think?

Living & Celebrating the African Dream! Catch all the Scoop on www.bellanaija.comFollow us Twitter: @bellanaija Facebook: @bellanaija Instagram: @bellanaijaonline

1. chioma

August 30, 2006 at 6:30 am

mmm…pweety, resourceful and smart too.

2. Anonymous

August 30, 2006 at 6:42 am

i’d wear 90% of her stuff in a heartbeat. does anyone have her contact info.?

3. Anonymous

August 30, 2006 at 6:49 am

that last dress is fire!

4. Mona

August 30, 2006 at 9:51 am

her taste is cool…ive seen nicer styles on her in mags etc…shes so tiny u wont believe shes 30+ with her little baby

Great taste

5. Don Chi a.k.a. Blog Marley

August 30, 2006 at 1:44 pm

i remember having a crush on her for the longest. from st. saviour’s to a-hall. (sigh) is she 30 yet? u sure? i done dey grow be that o!

6. Anonymous

August 30, 2006 at 1:53 pm

Isn’t that lisa Folawiyo nee Idowu?
    Wow..nice clothes

7. Onada

August 30, 2006 at 2:29 pm

yup i’d definately wear all those clothes!

8. Adaure

August 30, 2006 at 3:09 pm

BELLA…sweeeerriiieee…. it does me no good if there’s no PHONE NUMBER or EMAIL. Oya go and find that one biko. Yeah her stuff is hot… whould definitely rock it if i could just get her number…. hint hint.

9. Parazone Super Bleach

August 30, 2006 at 3:24 pm

Really nice! Will definitely check her out when I get to Las gidi! her Information would much appreciated.. Bells! 🙂

10. Errata

August 30, 2006 at 3:34 pm

Lisa is pure UNADULTERATED FIRRRRRRE!

Damn. She breathes new life into a beach diva.

Just when my aunt was asking if I wanted anything from Lagos and I was thinking what tha hell could that be? …

PLEASE WHERE IS HER NUMBER?

11. Psb

August 30, 2006 at 3:35 pm

Oops see I see you posted it already! Many Thanks!

12. zaiprincesa

August 30, 2006 at 3:41 pm

Hot stuves!..hmm..ill have to tell my tailor to copy some of these…lol

13. Anonymous

August 30, 2006 at 4:01 pm

i looooove.
    im gonna buy a shit load of ankaras this fall.

14. LondonBuki

August 30, 2006 at 4:32 pm

I really really like the last dress!

Nice.

15. Dammie

August 30, 2006 at 5:42 pm

Luffly!!!!!!!!!

16. Icy

August 30, 2006 at 8:05 pm

I can so rawk the adire boy shots.. yup me likeeey!

17. Anonymous

August 31, 2006 at 12:43 am

I really like these designs. The only problem is that I am all the way in the U.S. & I don’t know where or how I can get my hands on these items. If anyone knows let me know.

18. Contact details..i want 2 buy,buy,buy..but doesnt read entire entry

August 31, 2006 at 1:05 am

Can people please read the whole entry before they make comments! Sheesh! Everyone loves the designs and wants to buy , buy,buy but they fail to see dat Bella put the Designers contact details up! Is it that hard to miss..Read the entire entry people.bella abeg no asa dem..them go get it eventually

19. Adaure

August 31, 2006 at 1:52 am

Errrr.. blah blah blah or whatever your name is… calm down before you start raining abuses on anybody… the contact was not there earlier hence the inquisition. Anyways Bella thank for the info gurl… now go do what you do best and dig up for more… If you run out don’t hesitate to try the tailorents and Sura the tailor et al (new word for them/PC term–stylists) because they can be quite creative and ingenius with their styles and cuts…tee hee hee

20. Big Fan

August 31, 2006 at 2:24 am

@ Bella..great website,you just keep bringing people back to your blog oh! All my girlfriends cant stop talking about your blog! You keep it fresh for bloggers and non bloggers. You keep the blog world yearning for more. There are too many 9aija blogs out there but yours takes the cake.

these clothes are da bomb

21. Bella Naija

August 31, 2006 at 2:37 am

aww thanks everytone
    @bigfan….u rock! u and ur friends should pleassse keep readin…ciao

22. Anonymous

August 31, 2006 at 11:03 am

yeah that is Lisa Idowu… I love her stuff and it does not hurt that she is repping for ahall.

23. Anonymous

August 31, 2006 at 12:53 pm

I hear she dey pricey sha…because anythin wey dey embellished and take extra handy work dey expensive..I hope say i go fit afford her sha. Me i like her work so far

24. Errata

August 31, 2006 at 1:50 pm

I honestsly dont think sura’ish tailors can get cuts, styles and fits down pact like someone who has an innate vision and passion for mod/couture pieces. & please dont mock us for being blind in the case we were, as was repeatedly said, the designer & pics dey emit FLAMES for ontop p.c. 🙂

25. Adaure

August 31, 2006 at 2:34 pm

‘Addy’s defense of the Unsung Heroes of Fashion…. the tailors in the backroom and in the sweatshops(where they apply) who most of the time never get any credit for bringing the designers vision to light.

Errata you’ll be surprised at what some Suras can do with ‘their own vision’ and ‘anybodys’ for that matter. By the way some nigerian designers (with the exception of a few) don’t do any sewing or cutting so they hire and over see ‘sura-the-tailor’ to bring their vision and drawings to life. Correct me if I am wrong but I seriously doubt Ms. Lisa (or any other designer for that matter) did all the cutting and sewing herself. So do not underestimate Sura o, afterall before we young and trendy discovered fashion designing can be a career, it was the Suras at the street corner-shop that were clothing our mothers.

By the way it pleases me when a designer takes the time to learn and hone their craft by taking a year or some to go to fashion design school as some of our new breeds are doing… very refreshing… the more they do that the easier it will become for nigerian parents to say ‘ok ngozi you can go to fashion academy/eauty school and be a designer instead of Harvard to be a doctor’… (a stretch but y’all can feel me …ok this is comment #3…i’ve become moderator o…lol)

26. Omolabake

August 31, 2006 at 7:15 pm

well said Addy…
    My tailor in Naija is not well known like that…..but she can put some stuff together…….
    I’ve a wedding this weekend that I’m rocking one of my Ankara to….
    And I can’t even wait to wear it…

27. NIke

August 31, 2006 at 9:26 pm

im soo impressed men, i love how theyre improvising, using african fabric bt western styles..Very unique..

28. Koketso

September 1, 2006 at 12:53 am

I love the designs. Very original & I can see the point of view.
    Being a fashion designer is not just about sketching designs because that can only get you so far.. Its also about managing a business. It definately helps to know how clothes are made and how to draft patterns & sizes because when u maufacture clothing, bags or shoes u have to be able to have the necessary specifictaions for your manufacturer/ contractor.

29. undressed*polaroid

September 1, 2006 at 1:33 am

miss bella, been too busy….nice piccies. Yaaay…I just went to the actual website..PHEW!! we’re in we’re in hurrrrah!!!

as for fashion’s business side: fashion babylon – sorts you out with knowing what to expect if anyone ever thot of a bed of roses

I like some of her stuff but gadz, I hate ankara just a little bit

30. naija

September 1, 2006 at 6:22 am

niceeee!! ankara rocks!abi?

31. Errata

September 1, 2006 at 1:41 pm

Congrats on that typing but Im just not that interested. Sorry!

32. Adaure

September 1, 2006 at 3:08 pm

whhuudddeeevva homie

33. erra

September 11, 2006 at 10:43 pm

I aint got your homie

34. Anonymous

September 19, 2006 at 9:45 am

hi lisa am a male model looking for designer, that will sign me .these is my web site http://www.freetraining.co.nr my contact is 08035676890 will send u a txt in ur phone my name is cleaf austine

35. Tricia

December 28, 2007 at 7:32 pm

Lisa:
    This is your cousin Tricia in the US, I love your stuff, I saw what you sent over for my sister Marla and Nike and love them all!!! I wish you all the success in the world, and I want to buy some of your stuff. email me at [email protected].

Love,
    Tricia

36. Anonymous

October 16, 2008 at 8:52 pm

she is good, but does she have a website where she showcases her designs? or for online shopping?