Music

THISDAY MUSIC FESTIVAL

BellaNaija.com

The biggest musical festival in the history of Nigeria is coming!!!!
The first annual THISDAY Music Festival is being held to commemorate Nigeria’s Independence anniversary celebration on October 7 and 8 in Lagos, Nigeria.

The US Stars participating in the event are Beyonce Knowles, Shawn Carter aka Jay-Z, Missy Elliott, Busta Rhymes, Snoop Dogg and Ciara.
While King Sunny Ade, Lagbaja, 2Face Idibia, D’Banj, Weird MC, Dare Art Alade and Seun Anikulapo-Kuti and others will be repping Nigeria.

Tickets will be available exclusively at all Guaranty Trust Bank branches from Monday, September 11, 2006 (no tickets will be sold after September 30 ) while ‘Fan Zones’ are being created in Lagos and across Nigeria where those who may not be able to afford the tickets can watch it live on big screens, at a very low cost.

Wow!!! I’m impressed…I hope all goes well and there is no drama like the ’50 Cent/Eedris’ incident…..

If u are/were in Nigeria would u attend?
What do u guys think?

Living & Celebrating the African Dream! Catch all the Scoop on www.bellanaija.comFollow us Twitter: @bellanaija Facebook: @bellanaija Instagram: @bellanaijaonline

1. Ehi

September 3, 2006 at 11:41 pm

Gurl, you are just killin me with all this gist……..but wow! I am impressed o, naija is trying. I really hope it goes well..cos that 50cent/Eedris drama was really embarassing…looks like fun. If I were at home, I would love to go but would be afraid to ‘cos all these places always have their share of area boys and thieves outside waiting for u to steal ur cell phone at least..lol.

2. nosa101

September 3, 2006 at 11:59 pm

This is HUGE!!!!!

3. Dammie

September 4, 2006 at 12:36 am

This is mad!!…..Of course I’ll go!!

4. PSB

September 4, 2006 at 1:32 am

Wow! What a line up! You couldn’t even get that type of star power unless it was summer jam or something! I have seen Jay in concert before but it would be nice to see him and the type of response he’ll get at home. Wish i could attend..V.I.P of course!

5. Onada

September 4, 2006 at 2:43 am

what are concerts in Nigeria like ? i ‘ve never been to one..i would LOve to attend an event like this!

6. niyeee

September 4, 2006 at 7:24 am

i have never been a fan of nigerian concerts, Location, and security always shady!
    i definitely would have called my peeps that went to know how it was but dont think i would have gone

7. Anna

September 4, 2006 at 7:36 am

mmmm…. very exciting. Nigeria will be blazing this hamattan season.

A little something to ponder over…

Bella did not provide venues for the concert but the celebration dates coincides with Jay-z tour date in Nigeria where he has teamed with the UN and MTV to raise awareness on fresh water conservation and the need to preserve our ecosystem from further depletion.

Question now is, will he be committing to this cause or will he be promoting himself and or music on naija’s independent day celebration?

8. Anonymous

September 4, 2006 at 1:04 pm

cool so many guys are going to naija this year even tough if i was there i dont think i would go to risk my phone, camera and money to be stolen upon seein Jay-Z and Beyonce. Good shows that naija is growing..

9. bibi

September 4, 2006 at 1:39 pm

hmm i never atteneded any naija concert..oh well i think if i was in town, id probably go…wow this is huge men..

10. bibi

September 4, 2006 at 1:40 pm

hmm between bella..i’m still chillin for the day ure gonna feature my naija celeb crush o.. PADDY ADENUGA… lol.. mayne that guys hot..oya i’m waiting o

11. adaure

September 4, 2006 at 3:07 pm

Let me play devils advocate…..
    I wonder how much they were paid to perform at this concert and IF the organizer are going to pay the Nigerian musicians a quarter of that. Dare I say shooting ourselves in to foot. It’s all good and gravy to have these cats come in but let’s also treat the home grown (that make us proud) well so that they too can promote their music and perform outside the country.

Would I go for the concert… if i can manage to get VIP pass far far far away from the gangsta wannabe area boys that will pack the place and steal phones…even if they pack the place with all the MOPOs you know no amount of security can protect you from the verbal abuse and sexual harassment. One can’t even go to the market with out that let alone a concert (or has that changed)

12. abbi

September 4, 2006 at 3:28 pm

@Adaura…i quite agree with you on ur first comment…and i wonder also, how much these “home base” peeps will be paid. they really need boosters to grow..bcus they work very hard,.and struggle from absolute nothing to get to that stage..
    Also the lagos state economy will be affected positively,..the crowds from other states and different parts of West Africa as a whole…

13. Mona

September 4, 2006 at 4:09 pm

I would go if I were there, I’ve been hearin about this everywhere a lot of things happenin in gidi this october oh damn

14. TaureanMinx

September 4, 2006 at 4:14 pm

Of course I’ll be there ..if I get a ticket, if its ridiculously priced. Its never that serious. I payed for VIP for Akons concert and he ended up saying he did not like segregation so all the people from the back joined the VIP section including thieves etc etc. I for one LOVE that particular type of segregation pshhhhh, I could have saved my money. TWAT.

15. Anonymous

September 4, 2006 at 8:26 pm

lol im really sure how all these influx of so and so is good for nigeria or shows that naija is coming up. do we really want to be like the west? also i think it smacks of gwyneth paltrow’s ‘i am african’ thingy.
    as for music, we should focus on banning wack lyrics. i just hope everyone is being paid the same

16. Sara

September 4, 2006 at 10:35 pm

“also i think it smacks of gwyneth paltrow’s ‘i am african’ thingy. “

Is Gwyneth Paltrow African? Or dont you mean Charlize Theron

17. Anonymous

September 5, 2006 at 12:30 am

The Channel O African Music Video Awards Are Here!
    The highly acclaimed Channel O African Music Video Awards are back with vigour and will be held on Sunday 15 October 2006 in Johannesburg.
    Unlike most award shows where a panel of judges chooses the winners, the Channel O African Music Video Award winners are decided by YOU, the Channel O masses!

Here is how you can cast your vote for Dare Art Alade:
    please visit http://www.channelo.co.za

18. Keep a Child alive

September 5, 2006 at 12:49 am

19. Biodun

September 5, 2006 at 2:40 am

Wow they r doing big things in naija o, I hope it all works out well. If I were in naija I probably wouldnt go, too scared man, r u going Belle Naija?

20. UnNaked Soul

September 5, 2006 at 9:12 am

An event I would like to attend when I get the VIP ticket that does not stand for Violent & Insulting People ticket.

They sha should get their shit together

21. N.C

September 5, 2006 at 12:58 pm

Why the hell would and should they pay everyone the same? It is not done here in yanks and neither is it done in Nij. The bigger stars get more money…PERIOD! It is not about being sentimental,the artist that is able to command greater ticket sales gets more money. 2face costs 10,000 dollars and D’Banj costs N600,000…as I said the bigger star gets paid more.

Instead of saying they should all get paid the same(which is nonsense) we should be saying we hope all artists get what they are worth, African or otherwise. Now if it was whack M.C Hammer or 2face we know the latter will be getting paid more.

22. Anonymous

September 10, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Support you man… why the hell should they all get same pay… what you get is your worth..! and for all those bad mouthing shows done in Naija, i think ya ‘ll should try and support your own… stuffs are happening back home; you all don’sit away and say whack things without doing not’in.

23. Ronnie

October 1, 2006 at 3:44 am

Hey Bella, This is Ronke Umass. How are you? u ok. well I can see your’e enjoying Naija. I might be coming soon.Well you can email me at [email protected]. Keep in touch bye Hon

24. Simi

February 22, 2007 at 3:05 am

I heard d VIP tickets was like 100,000 naira or something like dat sha. ???