News

The Look: Sisters in Style

BellaNaija.com

Karen Koshoni, Lisa Folawiyo & Sike Idowu

Today on ‘The Look’, we have a trio of ladies dressed in Jewel by Lisa dresses. Sisters, Karen Koshoni, Lisa Folawiyo & Sike Idowu are stylishly rocking 3 harmonious yet very different looks. Interior designer, Karen goes for the girly look in a yellow dress with the v-neckline and empire waist, she adds some edge to the look with her nude coloured platforms. Designer, Lisa’s look is modern with her asymmetrical dress with ankara and lace frills complimented by fierce white Louboutins. Sike adds the drama with a versatile look that can easily transition from day to night, her long wavy locks, hoop earrings and black shift dress are spot on.

Have you got ‘The Look’? email your photo and details on your outfit to bella @ bellanaija . com

1. fashion conscious

January 9, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Lisa Folawiyo in my humble opinion looks best…..lol.. Nt that the others don’t look good. I was thinking maybe next time with all due respect they could and might think about the fabrics, used. You know, in terms of, fitting, body type and all….you get me….and then again, they tried. I mean one can’t get it right all the time…it’s all good….tho.

Bella, how are ya?

2. Sister Confused

January 9, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Fierce!

3. Bridget Otubor

January 9, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Fantastic trio ,met them ,close as knit. kudos to karen and lisa

4. carte blanche

January 9, 2009 at 4:40 pm

lovely

5. myalteregoisayanna

January 10, 2009 at 1:34 am

Wow…that’s a lot of hate you are spewing there girl….ur heart must be clogged up hence the need to free it..Pele o…hahahaha

6. Titi Jane

January 10, 2009 at 11:59 am

Emmm, Dorah, we all know that the girls in Nigeria have a better sense of style than the Nigerian girls in the States……

7. Sola

January 10, 2009 at 1:31 pm

When people try and do something creative appreciate it. No offense to you Dorah cos you’re entitled to your own oppinion but giving constructive and possitive advice to help Lisa improve what she is doing would be more helpful than running than being spiteful. Everyone always has room for improvement including YOU!!. I think she has made the effort to even create these designs. She could combine the fabrics differently but then again it also has to do with how you ‘Work the dress you’re wearing’. Even if it’s PRIMARK it could look like COUTURE. Next time say something possitive or don’t say anything at all. I’m waiting for you pic!!!

8. Sola

January 10, 2009 at 1:45 pm

The comment you made shows you’re not really adventurous when it comes to fashion or fabrics and you obviously have limited knowledge of ‘design’ and creativity. Yellow is a vibrant colour. It is fresh and because of that most designers tend to use is subtlily. I feel she has been adventurous in her use of the colour. Her combination with the other material is okay but i may not have designed it with the yellow bit on the top as well. I would not wear the dress with platforms. I will wear it with roman type sandals of a different colour entirely with straps up to my knees and an a long strain of beaded necklaces that come down to my waist of the same colour. But hey!! every one has different fashion sense. I’ll like to see what you come up with if given the chance.

9. Dorah

January 10, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Ummm….I’ve seen busted Nigerian girls and busted Nigerian American girls. These girls think they can dress, but look a hot mess. All I know is that I dress well (at least that’s what ppl tell me.) So yeah…

10. jo

January 11, 2009 at 1:29 am

i like the one in the middle – the other 2 are decent

11. Dorah

January 11, 2009 at 4:45 am

I really wasn’t trying to mean. Seriously, I thought I was being truthful. It’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it. They are nice looking women, but I don’t like their outfits. And I know that I’m not perfect either. Perhaps, I just think differently from you.

12. Dorah

January 11, 2009 at 5:25 am

Hey Sola,
    Here’s my breakdown of the outfits. Again, I was saying what felt. No hard feelings, okay.

Karen,
    The overall color and style of the the dress is nice. The dress should have been made or silk or satin, the A-line skirt of it, flared out a little more so if she spun around, the skrit would move around with her. Black, patent pumps, peep toe, would be great too. Ironing the dress would have gone a long way.

Lisa’s dress is a little too big. The dress is trapeze style, perfect for tiny people like her, but it’s still too big. The dress needs to be taken in a little bit to show her frame. The shoes are cool.

Sike is the curvy one. I really like the top patten of the dress alot. I think been sleeveless. The skirt should have been bubble style, flaring out a bit and she could wear a skinny, royal purple leather belt around her waist. The shoes are nice.

I mean, I guess the reason why I thought the clothes looked cheap was because they weren’t ironed. Ironing can make or break an outfit, imho. Again, they tried and worked with what they had and that’s cool. But I thought they could look better. Nigerians are all about being fly, right?

13. Dorah

January 11, 2009 at 5:29 am

Pale gold pumps 2 to 4 inches would be awesome for Sike too.

14. Dorah

January 11, 2009 at 5:34 am

PPS
    No empire waist for Karen’s dress. Okay, I’m really done.

15. Trendy

January 11, 2009 at 7:28 am

I agree with Dorah, these dresses look cheap and ill-fitting on these ladies. They also could have done better with the shoes. I wonder what the price tag on these dresses are? I for sure will not pay more than $50 for them, and i am being generous.

16. kelendra

January 11, 2009 at 11:55 am

me no likey the dresses.

17. Dorah

January 11, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Hey Trendy,
    Lisa is wearing Louboutins apparently.

For Karen’s dress, I would have a chocolate brown silk sash fitted at the waist as well.

18. Dorah

January 12, 2009 at 12:00 am

i no…

19. Sola

January 12, 2009 at 11:23 pm

I agree with you and i don’t know if they will every read this blog but if they do, what you have writen would help Lisa consider a few things next time she is designing. I’ve learned a few things from the se comments you’ve just made.

20. Sola

January 12, 2009 at 11:33 pm

No need to start swearing Lola, calm down okay and don’t burst a blood vessel. The genesis to revelation is in response to your comment. If you could assess comments carefully, you would realise that i’m agreeing to a certain extent that the clothes could have been worn differently but also stating it in a productive way that could help anyone interested in fashion. Your comment was excessively critical. It was not constructive.

21. Tosin

January 14, 2009 at 11:07 pm

I honestly don’t see anything stylish or glam about these dresses… of the three ladies, the lady with the black dress looks worse though…her knees are black and i think thats a no no for short dresses. Short dresses are in, but they don’t look fab on everyone. I must also say the dresses are rumpled… like they were hurriedly worn for the picture. I can go on, but i don’t want to sound like i’m hating.

22. kay-uk

February 2, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Wow.. i thot i was the only one to notice that something was amiss..i am a fan of “jewel by lisa” but kai !! i dont agree with her kia kia on any of these designs.1) the fabiks seem tacky and cheap, 2) the styles aint worth the effort, 3) the shoes just dont fit..louboutins–yes ..but not nicely put together..but then like some1 said,u dont always have to have to get it everytime.even victoria with her repute as a world-class fashionista makes gets it wrong sometimes.so lisa dear its all good.

23. Sike Idowu

February 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Hi Tosin and kay-uk, amazing comments! Firstly my knees are not black and they look quite great actually! Our fabrics are not cheap, never have, never will use cheap fabrics at Jewel By Lisa, no…our dresses were not rumpled, to be honest we looked quite good that day and also very ‘neat’ if I must say so myself! Did you ever stop to think the quality of the picture isn’t quite up to par? Which it clearly isn’t. Dnt wnt to sound like you are hating? Sorry luv you did a great job of doing the exact opposite. Get a grip guys, but like they say different strokes for different folks, can’t win them all…. God bless, x

24. Oyin

November 9, 2009 at 3:39 am

Sola you’re seeming a bit one sided. Have you been paid by Jewel by Lisa to defend her at all costs??…LOL…..or perhaps youre her family member!…maybe even one of the people in this photo!…………..
    I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion frankly…Youre comming across as very biased!…By the way why have a lot of Dorahs comments been deleted???? My honest opinion, I think these girls come across as very decent girls to me…somebody spoke about the dress being to big for one of them. Dresses dont always have to be tight fitting everytime!…i see nothing wrong with Sikes outfit…I just think black is a wrong move to wear when youre a dark skinned person. She should wear brighter colours!…Cmon someone in fashion should not make such school boy errors!…(In this case school girl errors)….I like alot of Lisas work anyways..shes a good designer!