News

‘Rouge’ lights up the runway in Joburg

BellaNaija.com

The future of Nigerian fashion is incredibly bright.
That belief is strongly reinforced when we spot such promising talent as Chichi Iyiegbuniwe of Rouge Couture.
This recent graduate of Urban & Regional Planning from the University of Lagos has already had her first taste of the international runway spotlight.
In only her 2nd ever major runway show, Delta State native Chichi held her own as part of the Nigerian Fashion Showcase during the 2009 Audi Johannesburg Week Autumn/Winter Fashion Week.

The Rouge Couture collection displayed a rousing blend of pieces with the uber creative use of fabric including Damask and Adire. Colour also played a prominent role in this collection as brights including orange, pink, green and blue were put to great use.  Definaitely a stellar debut!

The Designer, Chichi Iyiegbuniwe of Rouge

The Designer, Chichi Iyiegbuniwe of Rouge

1. abscloset

February 4, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Her designs are nice individually, but there is no uniformity in the show.. It’s just a lot of colors and Fabrics. There is no way of knowing the clothes all came from one designer.

2. Lams

February 4, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Bella, I was watching Project Runway Canada, and there is a Nigerian designer from Calgary Alberta…yay her name Adejoke Taiwo…I was like yay rep Alberta

3. Lams

February 4, 2009 at 5:39 pm

oh yah and she won the first challenge, and it was wicked, she was like i do contemporary Nigerian styles…go Adejoke!!!!!

4. mal prince

February 4, 2009 at 6:17 pm

her work is really good…i love fashionistas…..check out one http://www.virgoslounge.blogspot.com/ shameless plug…but its worth it…love bella

5. Pandaeyes

February 4, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I like the aso-oke dress. I think I doin that next although I think it needs a bit more drama. But then again, it’s meant to be simple right? Arghhhh, choices choices.

6. Lamide

February 4, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I’m no fashionista, but I likey 🙂
    Its great to see our young people bring something fresh and bright and showcase it to the world. I’m sure she’ll improve, but this, to ME O, is a great start! More grease to your sewing machine, chica :o)

7. ehis

February 4, 2009 at 10:04 pm

hi.i think she’s creative; her style is playful but still feminique. i hp to be on the ranway sn to show my ‘stuff’ too!

8. MiaJadore

February 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I agree with abscloset though.

9. Elpee

February 4, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Yeh the naija girl on PR and wat I actually love about her is that she connected to naija.. i.e name of designer, fabric pattern choices, and in her biography she said she got her inspiration from naija native fashion and all… in contrast to Morayo or rather mo as she called herself on ANTM. Pls let them learn how to speak ur names just as u learnt how to speak their language.

10. JO

February 5, 2009 at 12:29 am

i love it!! although,they could have at least apply make-up to all those girls legs – what’s with the patchy patchy? hehehe

11. JO

February 5, 2009 at 12:30 am

The pink number is super HOTT!

12. Chika Moses

February 6, 2009 at 9:39 pm

I love the pink dress! That is GORGEOUS! And the green strapless with the accentuating red belt is super sexy! All very beautiful!