Music

Celtic Soul, Nigerian Sass: Presenting Laura Izibor

BellaNaija.com

laura-izibor1Laura Elizabeth Arabosa Izibor better known as Laura Izibor is blossoming into Ireland’s Princess of Soul. Laura was born and raised in Ireland with a Nigerian father and Irish Mother. Unfortunately, her parents split-up while she was still young and her dad did not play a major part in her upbringing. That coupled with the bigotry that she faced while growing up in an all-white council estate seem like the formula for a tragic tale but instead, Laura used these to propel her to success. With inspiration from legends including Nina Simone, Laura has crafted a unique sound that is now bringing her success. Have a listen to some of Laura’s songs below and look out for her debut album ‘Let The Truth Be Told‘ which will be out in May.

Living & Celebrating the African Dream! Catch all the Scoop on www.bellanaija.com Follow us Twitter: @bellanaija Facebook: @bellanaija Instagram: @bellanaijaonline

1. A.P

May 11, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I love those pink shoes in the main photo! I like her sound. The audio in that 1st video wasn’t too clear. But I love that second song…I would bump to that 🙂

2. GamGam

May 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm

I like, I like!

Hair, shoes, dress…

3. mixednaijagirl

May 12, 2009 at 12:07 am

What’s up with all these no good naija men having kids with Non nigerians and leaving the poor women to be single parents. It’s so annoying, and it’s even more annoying when I see guys from our generation going down the same path because they want their papers. And now we want to claim she’s Nigerian, like her father had anything to do with her success.
    I know I’m bitter, but it’s the truth.

4. GamGam

May 12, 2009 at 12:23 am

The issue is, did she claim Nigeria? Besides no matter what her father did, she still has the Nigerian blood.

5. Cynthia

May 12, 2009 at 2:06 am

I agree with you 100%! They even do it to Nigerian women as well. Its such a shame but you have said the truth. I thought exactly the same thing you said when I read the piece.

6. Cynthia

May 12, 2009 at 2:09 am

@ mixednaijagirl

7. Ladi

May 12, 2009 at 2:42 am

Abi? It’s the same with Seal, Ayo, Sade (unsure!), and a few other ‘foreign, half-caste’ Nigerians who’s father’s probably had them in the 1970s with Oil boom charm and bailed….

At least they have Nigerian blood (like Obama, fully bred by oyibos is still called black with Kenyans claiming him by force).

Sha, let us just listen to the music.

8. Ladi

May 12, 2009 at 2:45 am

Music nko?

9. mixednaijagirl

May 12, 2009 at 2:58 am

Please o… I’m not trying to start a fight. I’m sure she acknowledge her heritage, but I was just stating the obvious that she is joining a list of succesful mixed kids with dead beat Naija fathers.

10. DatgirlJ

May 12, 2009 at 3:12 am

Very nice!!! I’m going to see her in concert next week

11. ProudlyNaija

May 12, 2009 at 7:48 pm

@ mixednaijagirl
    It takes two to tango, you can’t put all the blame on the men as the women too have a share of the blame. I live in the U.K. and see women being played everyday, but they refuse to listen to the inner voice God has given us all. They just open their hearts and legs wide, get pregnant and then the scales fall off their eyes. We as women have to make sure we learn from mistakes of others and those we make as well and listen to wise counsel from friends, parents etc who are not in ‘love’ with the guy and as such can tell one the truth.

12. Ìnk Eze

May 13, 2009 at 5:31 am

‘open their hearts and legs wide’…omg! lol.

13. lorile

May 14, 2009 at 2:37 am

naija we can like to claim ..no be small……Nigerian Born actress, Nigerian bred singer,Nigerian-irish, Nigerian-German..when d person in question sef never take smell naija..u gotta love us tho!!!!

14. Wadami

May 14, 2009 at 10:45 am

Lovely! I knew she was Nigerian (affiliated). Saw her video on Nigezie and fell inlove!!

YaY!!

15. fotografa

May 14, 2009 at 4:55 pm

She’s an absolute gem!! I joke u not, this lady sounds better live, than she does on CD 🙂 Wish her all the best for a great career.

16. jojo

May 15, 2009 at 1:57 am

what comments guys listen to some good old funky music, for those in the states she should be touring with john legend or india arie this summer chech her out on her web site

17. jbaby

May 15, 2009 at 12:10 pm

love love her. cant wait to see her in two weeks. mehn u guys should leave this girl. she’s irish with naija blood by mistake. no matter wat a man should always take responsibilty for his actions even if it is a one night stand. the bottom line is no one really knows wat happened with her dad but for watever reason she isnt naija. so she shouldnt be claimed.

18. Lati

May 16, 2009 at 9:48 am

Well her name is Izibor…dat’s not Irish! She embrace her heritage. She went to my secondary school but I cannot claim her to know her. My school is very big n there was very few black or mixed races there. So I used to feel like I belong when I come across ppl dat looks like me but I was too shy to approach them and i think it was the same for the other girls. I think she was in 2nd or 1st yr while I was in 5th yr then. Our year blocks are far from each other but I remember she took part in a Talent Show my class organised as part our LCVP course and she was awesome. She embraces who she is. If she didn’t I don’t think she would keep her last name.

19. haney29

May 17, 2009 at 6:00 am

She’s on tour with India Arie NOW! at least she opened for India in Minneapolis on Wednesday! So pplez if u want to see Laura check out when India’s SoulBird tour is in a city near u –> amazing concert if I might add!!!

20. all4naija

May 17, 2009 at 11:50 pm

@jbaby. If she isn’t Naijan she is your Naijan-Irish. Go and sleep. No matter what she Naijan to the core, though, it’s sand sorry the dad didn’t care for her and that should make her not to say she’s not carry the gene.

I hate you for concluding that she shouldn’t be claimed. I love her and she’s Naijan to me as long as she has that blood in her.

21. MIXED&PROUD

May 18, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I think a lot of you guys are just living out your own bitterness. How do you know what type of relationship she had with her father? In this article (see below) she talks of the wonderful new relationship she has with her father and half brother and goes on further to express her love for Nigerian food and desire to visit Nigeria and meet with her grandparents! That does not sound like a person who does not love or acknowledge her father and her roots. I think a lot of you are just bitter ‘cos of your own circumstances which does not mean everyone shared that bitter experience with you. Get over it and move on.

Afrik.com : Your mother is Irish and your father Nigerian. How close do you feel to your Nigerian roots?
    Laura Izibor : My father wasn’t in my life growing up. I’ve only reconnected with him in the past two and a half years because he had a baby boy with his new wife. I’m crazy for babies and I was like: “Oh my god! I have a baby brother. [Dad] Go away, I just want to see him! Go away we reconnect, that’s fine!”. The things are fine but through [my father’s absence] there wasn’t that much exposure to Nigerian culture than I wanted. But my favorite food is still Nigerian food, like ground rice and all these things. I have a knowledge of it. I know my grand-parents, I know my history, which tribe I’m from… that sort of things. But I want to physically go Nigeria. I need to meet my grand-mother. I absolutely would like to go there. You know, it’s horrible. It’s like this big chunk that has been brought here and I’ve family there, that I’ve spoken to… We all want to connect. Definitely, the next year or two I want to go over there and spend some time, hang in.
    Afrik.com : Do you feel close to Africa in general?
    Laura Izibor : I do! I always joke about this. Me and my brother, when we’re walking down the street and see an African person, there’s a natural connection that you can’t really explain. They don’t even know where I’m from but… So many of my boyfriends are like: “You know him right?” I just say: “No, let’s go. Don’t worry about it”. So it’s huge, it’s there. I feel Africa inside me and I feel that’s where my voice came from, really.
    FOR FULL ARTICLE CLICK HERE:

22. jbaby

May 18, 2009 at 12:53 pm

can u actually listen to urself. “she’s naija to the core”. someone that has never even been to nigeria. lol. u r funny.

23. CiCi

May 19, 2009 at 6:06 am

She seems to be aware of her Nigerian heritage, but her father was not still around growing up. I know many half Nigerian kids, been one of them, who did not grow up with their father. There is a difference between knowing who your father is and having a close relationship. My advice to especially non-Nigerian women is to be careful of some Nigerian men because some of them just use these women to get what they want, and lie that they will marry her, even though they have a wife, but once she gets pregnant, they disappear. Women in general keep your hearts and legs closed to such men, because I’m tired of seeing so many children who don’t have a relationship with their father growing up. These women are hurting the children by exposing them to things like that.

I knew who my father was, not because we had a relationship, but because my mother is a nice woman, and she’s very interested in the Nigerian culture and wanted to expose me to it, because at the end of the day, he’s still my father. I use to be very angry about it, didn’t really care about Nigeria, didn’t like to mention my Nigerian side since I did not keep my father’s name. I used to be so frustrated when people will ask me what my ethnicity is, and i have to tell them, and some Nigerians will immediately say forget the other side, you are naija. I was even more angry that my father came out of no where, after 20yrs of not being in my life and expected me to be proud of been Nigerian, and wanted me to go to Nigeria with him, and learn the language. As I got older, I learned to forgive him, and realize that anger will not help the situation, but at the same time I still don’t like when men, especially Nigerian men do that.

My mother encouraged me to be more involved in the culture, so I attended more Nigerian events, and traveled to meet my father’s family. I loved it, became more interested, that I ended up living in Nigeria for five years. Even though my father and I still don’t have a good relationship, but I’m happy that my mother still wanted me to be involve in the culture and not hate all Nigerians because of what he did to us. I wanted to learn the language so bad, hung around more Nigerians that I picked it up, and I even speak the language and pidgin very well. I’ve learned from my mother’s mistakes, and I hope women will learn and not stop letting any kind of men come into their lives.

24. Cici

May 20, 2009 at 12:14 am

sorry, I meant i hope women will learn and not let any kind of men come into their lives

25. me

May 20, 2009 at 4:17 am

niceeeee!!!!!!!!

26. Nyazivea

June 6, 2009 at 1:25 am

true talk…lol

27. funmilola

August 23, 2009 at 2:19 am

I LOVE LAURA IZIBOR. Laura’s Dad Saul is Nigerian. But HE LEFT Laura so she doesnt know he Naija culture thru no fault of her own. Read this -http://en.afrik.com/article15395.html- she aint asamed of her NIgerian culture AT ALL. She wants to go 2 Naija & met her paternal family.aked

28. lilkunta

August 23, 2009 at 2:21 am

Read this : http://en.afrik.com/article15395.html
    Laura wants to know her Nigerian culture. She is not ashamed.

29. Scarlet

September 26, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Just saw her last night at the Beau Rivage in Biloxi-She opened for John Legend-What a WONDERFUL voice! I agree, she does sound best live. She performed about 6 songs and then John took the stage and brought his fans to their feet with “Redemption Song”. An AMAZING night.