Events

Jeans for Genes II – Raising Funds and Awareness on Sickle Cell Anaemia

BellaNaija.com

jeans for genes poster halfLast year, we did a feature on Tosyn Bucknor which we called “The Girl Who Lights Up The Room”. Tosyn is a Musician/Radio Personality/TV Presenter/Campaigner etc… but though she excels at all of those. There is one thing that she is always working relentlessly on and that is raising awareness on sickle cell anaemia. The first edition of Jeans for Genes was very successful and now the second edition is going to be even better. The Fashion Show Party to raise awareness about sickle cell is back! Jeans for Genes 2 is tagged as a teeshirt party as it will feature runway, red carpet, music, and a one day market where clothes, books and accessories will be sold at a discount!

Five designers are scheduled to exhibit this year – Toni Payne, OUCH! Imagine Clothing, Strictly Naija Clothing and HappyFacez.
There will be teeshirts and more on sale! It will not only be about the tees as the models will wear accessories by Buckstone Ventures, Akin Beads, T.T.Dalk Accessories.
The models will be made up by Labelle’s Touch, the make up house that works on the Tinsel set, and also recently made the models up for Face of Africa finals!

This fashion party with a one day market with unbeatable prices, will also feature YAT who will do a special exhibition.

The emphasis is on creativity, fun and awareness as there will be information given on that day about sickle-cell.

The red carpet for the show is supported by Soundcity, Nigezie, Hip on TV, Quest TV, Bella Naija, major print media and more!

A fashion party is incomplete without music so prepare for music by Dipp, wWlly Bang, Lami, Loose Kaynon, Zara, Skales, Mo Cheddah, Hakym the Dream, Skuki, Overdose, Mode Nine and more!

Where will this magical evening of music, fashion and sickle-cell, take place? Swanky Swe Bar!

These Genes would like to thank s.h.a.r.e, Zapphaire Events, X3m Music, YAT, M.et.al, Ephyzzie Entertainment and more for their support!

For more information about the blog, including information on where to pick up These Genes teeshirts and invites to the event, please visit our blog
www.thesegenes.blogspot.com

1. Maama

March 22, 2010 at 11:33 am

I wish I could attend this, it’s really important for people to be aware of this deadly disease. I just lost my sister to this illness on Tuesday and I still haven’t come to terms with the fact that she’s gone. She just turned 40 as well, we celebrated thanking God she had passed the age where the ilness can kill you, she had a 4yr old daughter and its just sad, little did we know that she’ll die 16days after her celebration. I would want to have something like this here in the UK. I pray this show is a sucess and people learn from it. God bless.

2. TEEKAY

March 22, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Hmmm Maama,
    I feel your pain,as i have walked in your shoes.And what never fails to astound me is the narrow minded views people still hold about sickle cell carriers.
    One of my goals in life is to actively set up a foundation that has to do with sickle cell awareness.We need it.
    May your sisters soul rest in perfect peace.I lost someone very close to me to sickle cell a few years ago too,and i am yet to get out of the pain and shock.
    Don’t worry Maama,just shower all that love on her daughter,you will ALL be just fine.
    Hugs
    Tee

3. baby

March 22, 2010 at 7:56 pm

so sorry to hear about ur sister! i pray God gives u and the rest of the family strength. i have a sister as well who is suffering from this. she is just 19 and i’m scared of loosing her. everytime she’s in pain i cant even look at my mum bcos it makes her soo sad. i pray God will protect that child for her she will live long in jesus name

4. chubby

March 26, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Am a sickle cell anaemia patient, 26 this year and its so touching that someone has this in mind. Sickle cell isn’t given as much attention as other conditions like HIV and cancer. However, since it is genetic more awareness should be done on the need to know your genotype before marriage. I’ve lost 2 cousins to this condition and now everybody watches out for me which could be overbearing at times. I pray to God everyday to spare my life because i can’t imagine the trauma my mother would go through if anything happens to me. I wish to be at the ceremony tomorrow if i can squeeze it into plans i already made. Keep up the good job and i hope to join you very soon in this campaign. God bless.

5. FaithHopeLove

March 28, 2010 at 1:51 am

Hello & God bless you all. May He comfort you in your loss – He alone can do it! It seems there isn’t a ‘safe’ age – all we can do is pray that God will keep and sustain those affected by SS. I lost a member of my family to SS 18months ago (aged 24) and sometimes it is like it happened only 18 seconds ago …I have two other members of my family affected by SS and I sometimes ‘over worry’ about them..

It is good that awareness is being raised..but still a lot more needs to be done to manage this condition, so that those affected can lead healthy lives…

6. zulaha

March 28, 2010 at 9:13 pm

hi,its good to see that finally positive things are been done about our disease. i am a 33yr old sickler,a lawyer and i hav 2 sisters who are also sicklers,1 is 30 and an architect and the other is 25yrs old in her final yr in uni. i wish pple wld take the time to really study what sickle cell anaemia is and not be making misguided speculations and crude assertions! We live,and live well too and become successful no matter the challenges and you might as well know,we are extremely intelligent pple!! For all my sister and brother sicklers out there,there isnt a specific age of getting cured nor is there a specific age for us to die. Everyone must die and we dont die of ss crisis but complications arising from it. Lets continue to pray,take our medicines regularly and take good care of ourselves and leave the rest to God!
    For all the ignorant ones,please search for knowledge and info abt our illness before making all these allegations.
    For all the sicklers that have passed,may their souls rest in perfect peace and i wish their families peace and fortitude!