News

Fighting the Ticking Clock to create “Style Magic” for Omotola Jalade Ekeinde

Ezinne Chinkata

What to wear? The choices always get a lot harder to figure out in limited time. BN Style Contributor; Ezinne Chinkata recently put her styling skills to the test when she had to come up with two fabulous looks for Nollywood Actress; Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde in just 96 hours!

Was she able to do it?, What looks did she pick for the Actress, read on to find out……

Wednesday morning, lying on my bed, deliberating jumping ship and reading Twilight, the much celebrated novel by Stephenie Meyer. My phone rings and it is Omotola Jalade Ekeinde, explaining the need to be styled for the Nigerian Television Fashion Show (NTFS) holding on Sunday!

Check this out, she is the hostess, and needs two dresses, in four days!! There goes the end of my Twilight aspirations….

Pressure, Pressure!!!! Ok Ezinne! Breathe! I told her I would call her back in five minutes, as I needed time to regroup! I thought to myself, “Which designer can churn out two beyond average dresses at extreme short notice”? I remembered Kemmy Oguntosin of KemKemstudio, also featured on the BN site and her attention to detail. I call her up and decide to meet up with her and my client, Omotola, later that day.

We meet up at KemkemStudio in Maryland; Kemmy is extremely welcoming and professional with a very “hands on” approach to her work. We decide on two looks for Omotola, Structured Funky and Understated Chic. As the stylist, I had to coordinate with Kemmy and make sure the dresses were the right look for Omotola. It was a good call working with KemkemStudio. She was full of exciting ideas and understood exactly what direction my creative juices were heading, she even finished off my ideas!

Dress 1: Bold and Structured

The first dress was made with KemKemstudio’s signature fabric, Aso-Oke. Omotola insisted on something bold, up to date and stylish. Kemmy and I decided to achieve this by laying emphasis on the sleeves of the dress. Kemmy is a wizard with Pattern Making and when the dress was finished, I was quite pleased. She placed a Jet black colour block on the Creamy Aso-oke and this created a perfect silhouette on the dress.

Structured Nude and Black Block Aso-Oke dress by KemKemstudio

Dress 2: Understated Chic

Seeing as the first dress was quite a bold fashion statement, I felt it was prudent to have a no fuss-look piece. Kemmy suggested a simple black flapper dress from her Great Gatsby Collection. I was convinced it was the right dress for the effortless chic look I wanted to convey. This dress is made from rich jet black jersey fabric, beautiful chandelier details on the neckline, lace trimming, a swingy flirty hem and slim belt encircling the waistline.

Black Flapper Dress from Kemkemstudio

Styling Omotola is always a great pleasure. She is very nice and personable and carries off any ensemble with a natural elegance borne from a wealth of confidence. Also, she proves that you don’t have to be a size Zero to look good. It’s all in the proportions, and knowing what works best for your body type and personality. I also love the shoes Omotola chose, Way to go Omosexy!

Sorry guys, I did not get a clear picture of her in the black dress. However, she looked awesome! The black dress fits all body types. It may be worth your while to invest in a similar pair!

Styling can be harried, brain numbing and demanding! A happy client and a perfectly finished product, makes it all worth the sweat! I was glad I went with KemKemstudio, and so was my client. In a nutshell, four days was not so bad after all!

Kemkemstudio([email protected])

1. MiZ Attitude

May 25, 2010 at 10:01 pm

omotola looks like she has a massive growth on her shoulder. sorry but this is a miss for me

2. bunsky

May 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm

… badness…

3. sewa

May 25, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Wow…..she look hawt!!!!!

4. missmee

May 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm

yaaaay 1st to comment!!!! for d 1st time lol….
    she luks amazing, luv her figure

5. seun D

May 25, 2010 at 10:48 pm

awww this is gawj, georgeous, beautiful, love her and her thickness

6. Zara W

May 25, 2010 at 11:02 pm

i love the brown/black aso oke dress. want it! omotola looks very pretty by the way

7. marian

May 25, 2010 at 11:04 pm

beautiful!!!! Now that is style.

8. a.d.a

May 25, 2010 at 11:16 pm

haha..first 2 comment,omosexy realy fab!!

9. Bubbly Bliss

May 25, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I love the fit of the colour block dress on her, very flattering!

10. Funmi

May 26, 2010 at 12:02 am

Schett!!! As in damn… I have to admit I didn’t like the dress when I saw it on the manequinn but DAMN. The woman is hot. She pulled it off. This is the first time I have seen an outfit look better on the person than the dummy. You know how these stores pin the clothes in all the right places to make them look hotter than they are… Omotola is a BOSS men… I repeat, schett!

11. Nma

May 26, 2010 at 12:21 am

I love!!! and i am copying…and running str8 to my tailor! 🙂

12. Bola #1

May 26, 2010 at 12:29 am

great job! the futuristic peak on the white side is pushing it. The black side is eno8uhg.
    nevertheless, she looked great!

13. Ujubaby

May 26, 2010 at 2:00 am

Mehn, in short as 4rm today, I choose 2 embrace my curves! She’s hawt!

14. sweetie

May 26, 2010 at 2:45 am

omosexy…….HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! chei see shape, abeg she over pulled it off sef, me likey 🙂

15. DG

May 26, 2010 at 2:47 am

Omotola is wearing the heck outta that dress! It could have been an overwhelming look for some people but she really brought it to life and rocked it out. Good job Ezinne & Kemmy….

16. babylawyer

May 26, 2010 at 3:02 am

much kudos to Ezinne for pulling it off within such a short time. Omotola wore the look well but Ezinne came up with the concept along with Kemkem studio of course

17. Bk

May 26, 2010 at 3:04 am

My #1 always!!.. loking buff OMOT

18. abby

May 26, 2010 at 3:26 am

She looks fab!

19. silky

May 26, 2010 at 3:54 am

Omosexyyy.. Looking as hot as ever! Nothin beats curves!

20. Miss Lawunmi

May 26, 2010 at 7:25 am

Omotola, get that chip off your shoulder. lol j/k

21. Dele Ekundayo

May 26, 2010 at 7:33 am

I love the outfit. She looks very stylish. Great pins especially after is it 4 or 5 children?

22. Blossom

May 26, 2010 at 8:04 am

The statement you made about Kemi being very ‘into detail’ made my heart skip a beat. You cant imagine my admiration for clothiers who pay attention to detail… Not like others don’t, but I think that the fact that you would mentioned it means she pays extra attention. I don’t know Kemi but kudos to her for pulling this off. I give two thumbs up!

23. fokasibe

May 26, 2010 at 8:37 am

F-A-B-U-L-O-S-I-T-Y!! Hawtness…and for a mum of 4 or so? Ze badness!!! She is the hottest babe around!!

24. Sophie

May 26, 2010 at 9:42 am

Omosexy………..way to go babes. this dress rocks!

25. lola

May 26, 2010 at 10:11 am

Great. She carried it off beautifully. and for all you haters…….omotola is HOT

26. GLORY

May 26, 2010 at 11:59 am

wow, i love the dress !
    the style sure graces her endowment !
    go girl !!!!!

27. notaplayahater

May 26, 2010 at 12:01 pm

hotter than fire!!! i should look this hot after four!!!! whaaat… no i aint habvin 4, but i ought to look this good wen i’m done with them kiddos!

28. THE AMAKA

May 26, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I guess I’m the only one that doesn’t find it all that.
    I’m thinking it’s just because Omotola is wearing it.

29. NAKELE

May 26, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I first did not like it when I saw it on a display but boy o boy, the dress is the Bomb, Omo killed it,,,,,,,,

30. Boobsy Doo

May 26, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Omosexy is it! i love the dress and the way she pulled it off…..her tummy is amazing, the curves…breathtaking. wink….

31. kemi

May 26, 2010 at 1:17 pm

The cream sleeve is pushing it. With all dt detail on the black sleeve, simplicty wt d cream would av made it better.

32. Olivia M.

May 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Real Africa Woman

33. aijay

May 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm

very mod, very hip very cool. love the peaked sleeves, love the color contrast and style lines. meeennn Omotola, i wanna b like u after 3 kids!

34. Elle W

May 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Her body is fab but this dress doesn’t suit her
    Bad Stylist *misss*

35. Asa

May 26, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Omosexy looks really chic, you have got to be blind not to see that,especially with the first dress ,not sure about the 2nd black dress maybe becoz she is not wearing it. good job.

36. Oremi

May 26, 2010 at 4:50 pm

To Elle W, I must let u know that this dress suits her to a T. Why? Omotola is bottom heavy, and Ezinne did a good job in ensuring that attention was drawn away from her bottom. The outfit balances things very nicely, goooooood job ezinne, well done! Omo sexy pulled it off nicely as well

37. Ragga

May 26, 2010 at 4:56 pm

” invest in a similar pair”? are we taking about trousers or a dress.

38. kumzy

May 26, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I do agree with kemi, the dress is lvuly but maybe the shoulder detail on the cream side should have been removed.

39. joan

May 26, 2010 at 6:00 pm

the first dress is lovely…Nigerian designers are representing o….and Omotola is drop dead gorgeous in dat dress

40. Elle W

May 26, 2010 at 8:38 pm

That dress is beautiful dont get me wrong…the shoulder detailing is overpowering her features…she loooks uncomfy in the outfit…
    As a stylist you should put body types into consideration before dressing up clients!

41. SHET

May 26, 2010 at 11:56 pm

i must be as hot as this oooo after 3 children.WOW Omotola is definitely SEXY …like DAyuuuuuuuuuuum.. i cant shout..

42. Chika

May 27, 2010 at 5:22 am

WORK THAT FIGURE! Oooooooo Weeeee!

43. lifeofastranger

May 27, 2010 at 9:33 am

Wow, I love the way the dress looks so great on her. And what an awsome figure. Totally awsome. LOVE IT!!

44. by

May 27, 2010 at 11:10 am

All you haters out there stop! stop! stop! learn to appreciate others. She sure looks great after 4 kids, considering the fact that d eldest of her kids is about 14 years old. Now, how many of haters would look this great in say 15 years from now? Also, Nigerian designers and stylists are really trying and we need to commend their efforts, even the so called hollywood stylists sometimes make mistakes too as can be seen on fashion police afterall we are not all perfect.

45. THE AMAKA

May 29, 2010 at 2:16 am

you people are over doing it. real talk, anyone after having 4 kids can look good if they hit the gym and eat right.
    also remember omo is not as old as you think. she may have had 4 kids but she is in her early 30s. 33 i believe. something close to that.
    its not like she is old, she is still young.
    the picture, its not all that, it looks like she can’t breath. my personal opinion.
    bite me.

46. OlucciArmani

May 29, 2010 at 2:43 pm

hey…Love the dress, gorgeous.
    but the cream shoulder is pushin it a bit…..i 100% agree with kemi, no 31.

47. uju

May 29, 2010 at 6:32 pm

BABE!

48. dejieniola

May 30, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Love the dress, love the mix of materials, love the colour as it suits her skin tone
    the dress helps her figure as Omotola is quite hippy but the dress seems to reduce that
    that will make me put it in the category-Magical dresses

49. adenike

June 2, 2010 at 8:01 am

@The Amaka,what’s good(from Nairaland).ill def agree wit u on ur last post..I dnt knw y peeps keep yelling “she’s still like that after 4 kids”..pls,does she look 16 or 25?I thnk she celebrated her 30th last year or so..but I know she aint 33 yet;unfortunately I thnk she looks older..there are a whole lot of nigerian women who still look trim after 4 kids..and just like you rightly said,anyone who eats well and goes to the gym regularly will def look good..
    Personally,I don’t have a problem with the woman,she’s great no doubt;but let’s not over-hype her abeg..wetin make Betty Irabor come do? Now some bozo will start lecturing me on body types…wink wink!
    Omotola fans will skin me for this one..

50. chioma

June 3, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Right on @ Adenike…and I love Omosexy, but haba, people…

51. missy

June 3, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I have to agree to Elle W. You have to concentrate on feature and she has it already which is her hips. The shoulder did nothing but overpower her. the shoulder would have the great if the dress was A-line or tight. Please those people screaming hater, you need to learn fashion 101.

52. chichi

June 5, 2010 at 2:54 pm

umm hell noo..one of the hands need to go especially the cream side

53. Amaka Nwoga

June 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I dear say I am surprised by the baseless negative comments from elleW, and Missy J.

Missy J, I really dont know how much tighter you want this dress to be, but I think Omotola probably needs to breathe as well as look hot(Which she does). So, I really think the fit is just perfect. The shoulders go a long way in balancing her hips and the dress ggenerally draws attention towards the more attractive and smallest parts of her body.
    Beautiful dress and excellent styling.

It would also be interesting to see the people who feel Omotola’s Fab figure is not an achievement, post pictures of themselves after 4 kids and then talk about how simple it is. No doubt none of them have pushed out 1 let alone 4 children! Weight loss and maintenance for anybody is not EASY let alone after 4 children.

Please people, give credit where credit is due, you’ll feel better!

54. THE AMAKA

June 10, 2010 at 6:48 pm

@adenike, hey!!! so you know me from NL? cool. hahaha
    and i agree with you, its not like she is old, she is in her early 30s.

55. lollynil

June 15, 2010 at 10:39 am

@amaka,i think wat pple r tryin 2 say is dat she as done a gud job wit ha figure
    and doh u mit feel any1 can do dat its nt an easy fit to achieve given her kind of figue to say d least.
    lets appreciate ha beauty n the effort she has put into lookin dis gud…….watcha say?

56. DavidO

June 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Lovely outfit! Kudos to EZinne, KEmmy and OMo T! NiGerian DeSigners RoCk!!!

57. quicksilva

June 23, 2010 at 11:12 am

kemmy, without sentiments….i would say in as much as i appreciate the design…. Fantastic i must say….i am still of the candid opinion that the shoulder design didnt really flatter her….shes got a fantastic figure no doubt….i would suggest slightly longer length dresses that would not bring too much attention to her legs as they are not particularly her strongest assets. overall i give a thumbs up.

58. akua

August 4, 2010 at 12:50 pm

omo glam! 🙂

59. Fairy Godsister

February 21, 2011 at 1:35 am

I love the first dress, I think she killed it! Can’t say much about the second because there’s no clear picture but I think Omotola is fabulous!