Music

New Music: CON.tra.diction – Dreams (Places To Go)

Tosyn Bucknor is an in-house favorite. We love her because well she is Tosyn. If you don’t know her, then you can’t understand it. She is an OAP (radio) by day and moonlights as a musician.

Under the name of (one of her many alter-egos) CON.tra.diction, she has brought us “Dreams“. It is a song that evokes emotions of love and sacrifice (or a lack there of) as well as need to move and pursue dreams over drama of being together.

You can call her music a mix of Taylor Swift, and that flavour that is intrinsically Nigerian.
Good quality stuff, the video was shot and directed by Ak.One.
A little warning though, its easy for this song to get stuck in your head after the 3rd or 4th listen.
*humming* “I’ve got places to go…”

Photo Credits: Seyi Charles George Photography

1. otilopoju

June 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm

nice video…..i dont really like her voice!!but i wish her luck..u go girl

2. Tosin

June 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Tosyyyyyyyyyyyyyyn!
    Very nice.

3. tana

June 21, 2010 at 2:38 pm

not impressed at all…voice is aight thou, not particularly exceptional

4. steaze

June 21, 2010 at 2:40 pm

This is really great coming from a Nigerian.U can see that soft rock potential!!!u go girl!

5. Lamide A.

June 21, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I love it, and those kids are so sweet 🙂 Been a fan of the song (and of Tosyn) for ages,so I’m biased, lol!! U rock, chica!!!

6. Edi

June 21, 2010 at 5:10 pm

wot da heck…is this a joke

7. bondwannabe

June 21, 2010 at 5:39 pm

terrible voice, equally terrible tune, decent video… this is a lame attempt at whatever its trying to be. Pseudo pop I call it. Pity, cos she’s a decent presenter

8. Myne Whitman

June 21, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I’ve listened to her songs on Reverbnation so it’s great to see a video for the best one. Go Tosyn.

9. B

June 21, 2010 at 8:49 pm

You know what? I like the song maybe bcuz i like my pop music BUT!
    its a bit unusual for a naija artist…..anywhich way, i’ll love rocking to it in the hot
    naija traffic 🙂

Not a fan of the video but well done Tosyn! I like!

10. Ayana

June 21, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Tosyn rocks!!!!!

11. nino

June 21, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I LIKE THE WORDS….
    I KNOW WHAT SHE’S TALKING ABOUT…
    BUT BTW THE CLASHING DRUMS AND WHATEVER ELSE MAKES UP THE BEAT…
    IT MADE LISTENING A STRAIN…
    🙁
    THANKS TOSYN…NEEDED THIS SONG

12. Yinka S

June 22, 2010 at 1:50 am

I really like this song with its catchy tune. I don’t think it is lame at all. I think it is different and very creative. It is very different from most Nigerian songs I’ve heard. Plus the video is really entertaining to watch. KUDOS Tosyn.I wish you the very best of success in your music career.

13. Sukanmi

June 22, 2010 at 3:43 am

Really impressed,known these family for years,and seeing little Tosin been a star not bad the family of the the Bucknors are doing there best in anything they do.Keep it up Girl.

14. Ijé

June 22, 2010 at 5:19 am

Hmm, this is interesting… I’m not really sure what to think. Cute video concept tho.

15. ade

June 22, 2010 at 6:07 am

Dreams!
    I’ve been on contras reverbnation and this isn’t even her best song.
    I don’t think she handles fast songs as well as slow ones but I love her,the song,the video and her voice

16. Ade

June 22, 2010 at 8:20 am

I am glad she FINALLY decided to do something about her music!
    i heard ‘first’ like four years ago and wondered why she was writing, presenting
    and doing everything but the music!
    Those kids are adorable
    Is that Skales? Is he dating that girl?
    na wa o! See love!

Loved the video!
    I want FIRST tho! Thats the song!

17. Femi D

June 22, 2010 at 12:59 pm

funny how people are mentioning her voice as being the problem. i guess we all have different tastses because her voice sounds pretty good to me and was the most interesting part of the song.

18. fokasibe

June 22, 2010 at 1:02 pm

loving her earrings in the pix…

19. Nneka

June 22, 2010 at 3:30 pm

The video was well produced and I like the story line but I found myself just waiting for that bird to be set free from that massive cage.

Tosin’s voice can use some more training but it’s a good enough vocal effort.

20. Jade82

June 22, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Not bad….nice song, she reminds me of india arie’s idea of music.
    The video simple and self explantory.
    I can say i love it!!! very uplifting!!!

21. avari

June 22, 2010 at 4:51 pm

i dont think all of you were listening to the same song o… like i mean our standards for music in naija is warped… honestly her voice doesn’t cut it.. like seriously…we have few female musicians in nigeria.. wow.

22. otilopoju

June 22, 2010 at 6:11 pm

so i commented yesterday, that i didnt really feel this song…I listened to it couple times after and was like oh well, i guess i dont like it..Guess what i wake up this morning and that was the tune i was humming to..i was actually singing “i got places to go..la, la, la , la”…lol…You go girl!!

23. funsho

June 22, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Tosyne, OMG u remember am ur radio sweethrt, u will no tstop dazzling me. Nice for a start. i think i better start getting seriuos with u.

24. Tosin

June 22, 2010 at 11:18 pm

i love it-pop music and its different to d usual Naija beats!
    Well done Tosyn!!!

25. my2cents

June 22, 2010 at 11:36 pm

is that kanyisola doherty in the vid?
    tosyn voice need a little fine tuning, but the song send a good message out there 🙂

26. Deedee

June 23, 2010 at 3:14 am

Bad vocals
    okay song
    great lyrics

27. Dudu

June 23, 2010 at 8:07 am

Love, love, love the song and video. “Area” MAMA rocks!!!!!

28. Obi-talker

June 23, 2010 at 10:25 am

this is nice I dont know what all this people are saying about the song. I dont see nuthin wrong with it.

29. Gam

June 24, 2010 at 12:13 am

Nice effort, but still comes across as very lazy. If there wasn’t any video, i would have stopped at 20s. Now, All things being equal i wouldn’t watch this video again.

30. chica

June 24, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I wonder if tosyn stole @bondwannabes boyfriend or thunder cos the level of beef
    lol

Are there better singers? Yes! Omawumi, Waje and vo
    But music is not only about one kkind of voice

Myopic ears always expect whitney type voices but that is not what music is about

This shows me that music is about taste though

31. chica

June 24, 2010 at 6:25 pm

And o! 30comments and probably still counting! She can’t be ignored

32. ken

June 26, 2010 at 12:37 pm

song is alright – sounds a bit like avril lavigne gone wrong at some point

her singing is alright – the guy who did the mixing should be beaten

its all those little details that make a song a winner

but she has what it takes

I kinda like XTsamurai –
    He’s definitely rocky, Nigerian and REALLY NICE!!!

but this song is still alright…could be much better

33. Elle W

July 11, 2010 at 11:42 am

What is this?
    Please can she stop dancing?

34. dj-chucky

August 5, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I’m so in love with the concept and the producer is awesome.
    Voicing is not that bad, but it’s the song arrangement that has a problem.
    It’s kind of empty. If i were to be the producer, i’d have suggested she made the
    verses16 bars each, but the 1st verse was like 12bars and that was annoying.
    I expected more. Great potential, really great.

35. japlo

August 21, 2010 at 4:34 pm

don’t understand naijas, guess everybody is used to the mediocrity we call music these days. this is a lovely and beautiful song, first time i heard it on radio, didn’t occur to me it’s tosyn bucknor, thot it was a foreign artiste. well done tosyn!

36. frances

November 26, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Dis song is So So cool,tosyn u rock.kip it up

37. blu molly

July 17, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Its a wonderful song..my kinda song..wt wld u guys say wen u hear mine?..oga oooo