News

BN Hot Topic: Will You Vote in the 2011 Elections?

We’ve celebrated Nigeria’s Independence and now the focus has turned fully to the Nigerian 2011 Elections. Personally, I see this election as a critical point in the history of Nigeria’s democracy. In my mind, the future of Nigeria is linked closely to the end results at the polling stations after the elections. The world is watching to see what Nigeria will do.

But what are we Nigerians really thinking and feeling about the upcoming elections? Are we ready to embrace the process? The answer seems to be that majority of Nigerians are hungry for a new era of leadership. Nigerians are hungry for change, positive change in their country. The only way we can see this change is if we vote. But then vote for who? Do we have the right candidates who can effect the much desired change in our country? Are we ready and willing to register and cast out vote in a bid to exercise our civic right and responsibility? What will be you be looking for in a potential Presidential candidate?

I asked a few of my friends these questions and here are some of the responses I got…..

The “No’s”….

“I don’t intend to vote during this election because I don’t believe in any of the candidates and I refuse to be partially responsible for electing an incompetent leader.”

“I don’t. They are all a combination of jokers so it seems it wont be free and fair anyway so why waste my time”

“I don’t believe in all that crap because we all know its not our votes that determines who wins”

The “Yes’s”…..

“Yes, I will vote for a good leader who can work towards taking the country and its people a step forward and alleviate the problems from electricity, lack of infrastructure to education”.

“Yes, I will vote for someone who has a good and solid manifesto”

“Yes, I intend to vote for Goodluck Jonathan”

“I do intend to vote and I am looking for someone I ‘think’ not ‘trust’ can do the job

What are your thoughts?

Nigeria! Let’s hear your views!!

Photo Credit: http://fufustew.files.wordpress.com

Glory is the host and executive producer of Inspire Series, the web talk show which uses the collective stories of everyday women to inspire others. She believes women are https://www.canadianmeds4u.com/category/buy-antibiotics-online/ more than hand bags, hair, make-up and other externalities and is passionate about about pursuing purpose and living above societal conformities. She is also a day dreamer, and romantic at heart who loves TV, food and family. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @inspiredbyglory and read more from her on www.inspiredbyglory.com

1. anonymous

October 15, 2010 at 2:01 pm

NO I WONT VOTE

2. koa006

October 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm

errrrr….lemme think about that..NO!

3. babes

October 15, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Dis Dame Patience is an underestimated idiot.
    Is dere any special office created for the first lady of nigeria?
    how can one illiterate like herself, just because she is the wife of the president decide to block major roads in abuja and then cause severe traffic in the state.
    is she sane?
    Mehn, abuja is “traffic jammed” at the moment.
    clearly, dis woman is evil.
    Goodluck Jonathan, my backside.
    ish!

4. iyabo

October 15, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I’ll definitely be voting. Boycotting or abstaining from such activities only denies you your right to be heard. I’ll continue to vote as long as there are elections in this country hoping and praying that one day the votes will count.

5. anjay

October 15, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Do your part and quit complaining about what others arent doing. VOTE…….One day it will make a difference!

6. Prism of an immigrant

October 15, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Vote ko? Vote ni!!! Ra ra o, mba. I no vote. I’m tired of being habitually disappointed in the candidates performances once elected. What am I even voting for? What policies have the candidates proposed? NOTHING except handing out wads of cash to celebrities and youth. This election is simply a JOKE. When you have IBB, a former military dictator, having a shot at the presidency again, u just have to cry and hold your breath, because anything can happen.

• iyabo

October 15, 2010 at 3:25 pm

what’s your alternative to voting? at some point its going to count. don’t give up on us.

• iyabo

October 15, 2010 at 3:28 pm

what’s the alternative to voting? at some point its going to count. don’t give up on us.

7. jennifer

October 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm

frankly, i wont vote

8. lalala

October 15, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Its because ppl are not voting that politicians will expliot the polls

9. Gino

October 15, 2010 at 6:41 pm

La ye, i know dey vote. They will still rig it.

10. chibaby

October 15, 2010 at 8:52 pm

cant wait to vote.for us to stop election malpractice,we all need to exercise our right to votes

11. Toyin

October 15, 2010 at 9:12 pm

The number of comments on this page just goes to show you the percentage of people indifferent about the upcoming elections in Nigeria. I have noticed that a lot of people comment on events, celebrities, videos, music and the rest. Please don’t get me wrong; its ok to do that but it shows that we are more interested in things like that than the positive development of Nigeria. Martin Luther’s speech, I have a dream, was given in 1963, 46 years before Barack Obama assumed office as President of the US. Before the main elections, African-Americans were still doubtful that he would win the elections because they thought that their votes will never count. I am sure that they have changed their minds about the view; ‘our votes will never count’ because IT DID COUNT! I believe in Nigeria. I believe that in 2025, Nigeria will be the most desirable nation to live in. I believe that if everyone of us votes in the up-coming elections, canidates like IBB would have no chance of being the president ever again. We need to believe in ourselves and believe we can make a change by voting.

• BKNY

October 18, 2010 at 11:29 am

tnx Toyin for this piece….i’l def vote nd i know on day my vote nd ur vote wud count..not givin up yet cos nywia i go..i’l lwys b 2nd clas citizen

• changing faces

December 19, 2010 at 3:41 pm

my sentiments exactly Toyin…. some Nigerians wont vote, yet they feel its their duty to moan about everything! How will the change come? what hope do we have if the youths all treat elections like its not their business? I know that the elections are usually marred by irregularities, but I believe that we only need 1 sane president and Nigeria will become the land of our dreams… as far as i have breath in me, i will VOTE! its my right, and i will never disenfranchise myself.

12. Mrs. Obiora N

October 15, 2010 at 9:22 pm

NO, I am not voting d election is not worth d time & stress-yes the whole registration excercise as well as d queue @ d polls

• oyin

October 16, 2010 at 5:27 am

yes o!!!!! lol
      c us nigerians!!!! which other country do u c d votes not counting!!! smh!!!
      in my opinion ko si point… u vote finish na d person wey den won put chop money go put ‘in backside 4 seat say ‘im b president abeg jor!!! smh @ us

13. Patience

October 16, 2010 at 12:52 am

I will vote but not for Goodluck.

14. konnie

October 16, 2010 at 2:00 am

Allthese decenting voices are good.Vent out the fustrations but go vote. If you don’t vote don’t complainwhen thing sdon’t go your way even if it is a little shift in the right direction.

Quite complaining and participate a little bit

15. eMJOY Mayowa

October 16, 2010 at 5:45 am

we gotta believe… plus ACT (/VOTE) for change! And if u wont vote… don’t tell me ur still in d era of siddon look… just watch n look n w8 for divine miracle to come better ur life where u are! JOY

16. Gino

October 16, 2010 at 12:06 pm

mane siddon look na Dog name oh. hehehheh

17. T dubb

October 16, 2010 at 6:57 pm

the above comments show exactly why ‘NIGERIANS GET THE GOVERNMENT THEY DESERVE’… we refuse to vote, we refuse to participate in politics, we refuse to even volunteer in our communities… when ppl refuse to vote, they don’t deserve to complain when things go bad. Nigerians have to realize that democracy is an ongoing process that requires everyones participation. If you vote and your vote is stolen, at least your candidate will go to court. The victory of Fayemi in Ekiti shows that there is hope.

• Anuola

October 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Thank you. I was so disappointed with majority of the comments.

18. Kilonsparkles

October 16, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Please, we should all be very eager to vote and make our voices be heard this election season. Let’s prove IBB wrong in showing that the youth do know wtf is going on. Check out this posting about the forthcoming elections;

19. dubaisands

October 17, 2010 at 6:51 am

@ T Dubb my sentiments exactly! Unfortunately I am unable to vote by proxy. If Nigerians can’t be bothered to vote, they should not complain about the leadership they get.

20. G

October 18, 2010 at 7:35 am

I WILL VOTE! I VOTED FOR FASHOLA AND IT FELT GOOD KNOWING HE WON.

21. bcgeorge

October 18, 2010 at 9:37 am

the results of election in nigeria was, not in all the past cases, determined by the people who cast the vote but by those who counted the votes but like somone rightl said ”if you don’t throw the dice, you don’t win a six……..so irrespective of the past sad experience of rigging and over stuffing of ballot boxes, im gonna vote…one man, one vote..i go vote oooooooo…[email protected]

22. Bunny

October 18, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I will vote Fashola back into power for Lagos State, because i voted for him last time and he has not disappointed me! As for IBB, Goodluck J, Atiku, Ribadu and all the other jokers that call themselves presidential candidates will not get my vote!

23. Truth Teller

October 18, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Irrespective of what happens I will vote.I’d rather vote and be rest assured that my candidate did not win,than for me to regret having an incompetent leaders simply because i chose not to vote. we can’t keep pointing accusing fingers and wanting a positive difference without involving ourselves.someday,all the political rot will give way if we can all stand in one accord and FIGHT for what’s truly ours.The corrupt politicians didn’t fall from another planet,they’re humans and have their time,which i believe is up.

24. Truth Teller

October 18, 2010 at 7:45 pm

****** incompetent leader ****** i meant 🙁

25. t-girl

November 10, 2010 at 10:04 am

i won’t vote

26. Awoniyi oluniyi.

March 31, 2011 at 2:29 pm

we are tired of old people who av been ruling us since 1960. We fresh people lk Barak obama,pat utomi,etc. But i urge 9ja youth 2 wise up and shine their eyes. Let’s get it right ds time and save our future.